[ROM] FTB (2.1 mod) - updated 2012 01 01

Guest twrock

I'm very happy with the current condition of this rom. :)

Unless I find some serious bug or serious improvement I can make, I think it's "done".

Enjoy people.

Edit: BTW, I recall some discussion here (or somewhere?) about Swype. It seems Swype has grown to over 10mb in its minimum install size. That's a lot of ram to tie up for an IME! Currently I've installed ShapeWriter into /system on my own phone, and other than a few minor adjustments in how it is used, I'm finding it to be very adequate for my needs (English only). YMMV, but I'm liking ShapeWriter.

Edited by twrock

I'm very happy with the current condition of this rom. :)

... I think it's "done".

Enjoy people.

... and while you are free now... :)

maybe you could look into how to internationalize CM7.1... For some strange reason it has only a few locales (en-GB, de, es, fr, it), while your CM6.1 had way more (21 I see in framework-res.apk). Likely for that reason I can't add additional language to keyboard, I successfully did with your CM6.1...

I looked at HTC Hero's CM7.1 and it also contains rich set of locales - 22. (my Pulse didn't survive replacing framework-res.apk - looped, so I reverted :)

... and while you are free now... :)

maybe you could look into how to internationalize CM7.1... For some strange reason it has only a few locales (en-GB, de, es, fr, it), while your CM6.1 had way more (21 I see in framework-res.apk). Likely for that reason I can't add additional language to keyboard, I successfully did with your CM6.1...

I looked at HTC Hero's CM7.1 and it also contains rich set of locales - 22. (my Pulse didn't survive replacing framework-res.apk - looped, so I reverted :)

I'm not likely to do anything with CM7.1 unless I come to believe it might be a "daily use" rom for me. I need to be personally motivated to work on a rom, and I'm not interested in CM7 until it at least gets the main camera working. (And there might be some other "requirements" for me to spend time on it, but I'm not very aware of how far the development of that rom has gotten.)

Incidentally, yes, messing around with framework-res.apk was a bit complicated for me. I never got the pink text highlight changed, ending up with a bootloop each time I tried. Which brings me back to the disclaimer that I really do not know all that much about what I am doing. I just do a lot of reading and try hard to follow the instructions of the people who are much more knowledgeable than I am. Doing anything serious to change a rom is way outside my skill set. I have never studied anything about computers or computer programming. Two years ago, I didn't even know what "boot into recovery" meant. :D

Guest pedrojaime

I'm not likely to do anything with CM7.1 unless I come to believe it might be a "daily use" rom for me. I need to be personally motivated to work on a rom, and I'm not interested in CM7 until it at least gets the main camera working. (And there might be some other "requirements" for me to spend time on it, but I'm not very aware of how far the development of that rom has gotten.)

Incidentally, yes, messing around with framework-res.apk was a bit complicated for me. I never got the pink text highlight changed, ending up with a bootloop each time I tried. Which brings me back to the disclaimer that I really do not know all that much about what I am doing. I just do a lot of reading and try hard to follow the instructions of the people who are much more knowledgeable than I am. Doing anything serious to change a rom is way outside my skill set. I have never studied anything about computers or computer programming. Two years ago, I didn't even know what "boot into recovery" meant. :D

twrock you are very modest. Experience or not, you have a good analytical process and persistence necessary for developing stable roms and that is what counts! If there is any testing you need just shout will be happy to help and hopefully keep the Pulse flame alive!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest igor_anta

Just felt the need to say thanks and congratulations on a job well done to twrock :)

Ever since starting with Paul's MCR 1.7 for this rom and all through the beta 2.1 roms up to Tom G's Cm ports, FTB just might be the best rom the Pulse has ever gotten. It works great, I even have a ton of games and clutter installed and it's still fast and smooth.

As a sidenote, I'm using the Canvas (with WallpaperWizardii and BetterCut for homescreen modifications) and it's awesome. I think it should have been the default launcher for the rom since ADW is free for download on the market for whoever wants it. Again, very well done and cheers!

Hi FTB (twrock)

Im thinking of flashing this on my pules of which iv had for a few years now, handed down to my wife now handed back to me, it is currently running flb-mod 1.6 with RA-pulse-v1.5.2 recovery, my question is can I use this recovery to flash or do i need CWM? also whats the best partition setup to run this rom smoothly?

thanks in advance :)

Just felt the need to say thanks and congratulations on a job well done to twrock :)

Ever since starting with Paul's MCR 1.7 for this rom and all through the beta 2.1 roms up to Tom G's Cm ports, FTB just might be the best rom the Pulse has ever gotten. It works great, I even have a ton of games and clutter installed and it's still fast and smooth.

As a sidenote, I'm using the Canvas (with WallpaperWizardii and BetterCut for homescreen modifications) and it's awesome. I think it should have been the default launcher for the rom since ADW is free for download on the market for whoever wants it. Again, very well done and cheers!

Thanks for the encouraging words.

There are only two things I don't like about this rom, and both are minor.

I don't like the pink text highlight, and I don't like the volume limit being so low when using headphones.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with it.

Guest Dante2070

Hi FTB (twrock)

Im thinking of flashing this on my pules of which iv had for a few years now, handed down to my wife now handed back to me, it is currently running flb-mod 1.6 with RA-pulse-v1.5.2 recovery, my question is can I use this recovery to flash or do i need CWM? also whats the best partition setup to run this rom smoothly?

I had the same questions and they were all answered, very detailed and step by step, in the first few pages of this thread.

Ext2 partition is needed, clockworkmod recovery 2.5.... and you might need (depending on you partitions sizes) to flash a stock rom before.

Hi FTB (twrock)

I don't think you'll be able to flash with the AmonRA Recovery. The rom is not signed, and I don't know what happens when you try.

Here's a link to CW Recovery 2.5.0.7 for installation from a computer. Otherwise, you can use CW RomManager and choose to install the "Pulse" recovery image.

If you have had FLB 1.6 on there, then I suspect you've got the UK2010 (or larger) partitions. If so, I think this should fit. I'm using the Tre partitions.

I had the same questions and they were all answered, very detailed and step by step, in the first few pages of this thread.

Ext2 partition is needed, clockworkmod recovery 2.5.... and you might need (depending on you partitions sizes) to flash a stock rom before.

Sorry only looked at OP, but many thanks for your reply :)

I don't think you'll be able to flash with the AmonRA Recovery. The rom is not signed, and I don't know what happens when you try.

Here's a link to CW Recovery 2.5.0.7 for installation from a computer. Otherwise, you can use CW RomManager and choose to install the "Pulse" recovery image.

If you have had FLB 1.6 on there, then I suspect you've got the UK2010 (or larger) partitions. If so, I think this should fit. I'm using the Tre partitions.

Hi thanks for your reply, its been so long now to remember but I think I do have the UK2010 partition, I was asking about best partition setup because of swap, I was wondering if I need to create another partition for this? I dont mind reading info if I can find it :).

NVM> Iv found the info I was looking for.;)

Edited by twics

Guest pedrojaime

Thanks for the encouraging words.

There are only two things I don't like about this rom, and both are minor.

I don't like the pink text highlight, and I don't like the volume limit being so low when using headphones.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with it.

The pink we are stuck with (for now) but the max volume can be increased by installing Vanilla Media Player -> preferences -> Volume. You will find its set atabout 75% by default with this rom. This is not a fix but a workaround. Make sure you don't have 'Use Headset Controls' ticked or it will cause the tracks to skip every 2 seconds. I have also installed 'Plug in launcher' (free version) which is enough to set the volume when unplugged from the jack and a different volume when plugged in. I have struggled to find a way to change the max music volume without Vanilla media player.

I guess if you use headphones and especially headset controls (when running for eaxample), then Vanilla Media player will not help you. The default Music app does not suffer from this skipping when headset controls is used btw. For me its perfect since I don't use headphones, just AUX port in the car/line-out to speakers at work. Hope it helps.

Peter

Is there any thoughts on making a D2EXT version of this rom so all data go's to the ext rather than some of it, not sure if its possible hay just asking, iv been using this rom for about four or more hours so far so good thanks a lot, I thought my Pulse was dead ;-))

Guest GregorioUY

Woah, just came back from 2.2 Basic, and DAMN this thing is fast.

Just a couple of questions:

-How do I change de Power Control default Buttons?

-For some reason, I can't change my default voicemail number, it adds a number, 6684, but I just can't change it to *6684, says to contact my operator (don't think they can help, they don't even know what's android). Didn't have this problems on any ROM I've tried

-How do I changes the volume options, from Mute/Vibrate/Normal, to Vibrate/Normal? I did knew it, on CM, but I just can't find it here.

Edited by GregorioUY

Guest igor_anta

The highlight pink is a .xml in the framework, just really can't remember which one. I'm using a modified vanilla though, so it's not a problem for me:) You can just use ogiogi's theme as a base and go from there. I can try to help you out, but after this weekend, I'm a bit busy now.

The sound issue (if we can call it that) is bugging me as well. Louder Volume Hack doesn't seem to work for the headphones. There has to be a solution, but where?

Also, my Market seems to be broken. It always stays at "Starting Download" :S Cleared data and cache and it doesn't help. I think this is an existing problem in 2.1 roms, but I can't remember what the solution was.

The highlight pink is a .xml in the framework, just really can't remember which one. I'm using a modified vanilla though, so it's not a problem for me:) You can just use ogiogi's theme as a base and go from there. I can try to help you out, but after this weekend, I'm a bit busy now.

The sound issue (if we can call it that) is bugging me as well. Louder Volume Hack doesn't seem to work for the headphones. There has to be a solution, but where?

Also, my Market seems to be broken. It always stays at "Starting Download" :S Cleared data and cache and it doesn't help. I think this is an existing problem in 2.1 roms, but I can't remember what the solution was.

I've got no problem with the Market, so I can't help you there. Although wasn't there something about restarting GTalk service for some people?

I did get ogiogi to give me the pointers, and I did find the line I needed to change, and I was successful in making the change, both to green and to blue. But I hit another snag.

The resulting framework file would not work when pre-installed in the rom prior to flashing it. It only worked when installed later (after the phone was already running). That seemed too much of a "work-around" to me, so I kept trying and trying to get something to work. Finally, I got so frustrated with it that I just gave up.

If I have some more extended free time (not for a while), I will experiment to see if even ogiogi's framework can be pre-installed in a rom. If so, that might be a solution.

I've tried to find a fix for the sound as well. Nothing I found on the Market does anything. Some things I read there in the descriptions seem to indicate it is a low-level setting. If so, I probably can't do anything about it.

The pink we are stuck with (for now) but the max volume can be increased by installing Vanilla Media Player -> preferences -> Volume. You will find its set atabout 75% by default with this rom. This is not a fix but a workaround. Make sure you don't have 'Use Headset Controls' ticked or it will cause the tracks to skip every 2 seconds. I have also installed 'Plug in launcher' (free version) which is enough to set the volume when unplugged from the jack and a different volume when plugged in. I have struggled to find a way to change the max music volume without Vanilla media player.

I guess if you use headphones and especially headset controls (when running for eaxample), then Vanilla Media player will not help you. The default Music app does not suffer from this skipping when headset controls is used btw. For me its perfect since I don't use headphones, just AUX port in the car/line-out to speakers at work. Hope it helps.

Peter

I didn't find "Vanilla Media" player on the Market. Did you mean "Vanilla Music" player? I think that's it, because it did have a way to increase the volume up to something much better. Thanks for the tip. Now maybe I can hear my music while on public transportation (trains and metros). :D

I use the original earphones that came with my phone, so there seems to be no problem for me.

I too tried to find some other solution, but no luck. That is definitely one advantage of CM6 over the 2.1 roms.

Guest pedrojaime
I didn't find "Vanilla Media" player on the Market. Did you mean "Vanilla Music" player? I think that's it, because it did have a way to increase the volume up to something much better. Thanks for the tip. Now maybe I can hear my music while on public transportation (trains and metros). :D I use the original earphones that came with my phone, so there seems to be no problem for me. I too tried to find some other solution, but no luck. That is definitely one advantage of CM6 over the 2.1 roms.
Hi twrock, yes it is in fact called Vanilla Music Player. I also use the original headphones. Just been testing some more, when I tick 'Use Headset Controls' I am able to pause/play with the button on the headphones. You have to hold down the button firmly for about a second. I cannot get it to go to the next track with a double press (as specified in the Vanilla preferences). Also, to get the headset button to work, press play first on the touchscreen, this is what I have found works. I only experience the bug where Vanilla starts skipping through the tracks when the phone is connected to line-out speakers or AUX port in the car, never a problem with headphones, at least the factory Huawei headphones supplied with the phone.. Peter Edited by pedrojaime

Hi twrock, yes it is in fact called Vanilla Music Player. I also use the original headphones. Just been testing some more, when I tick 'Use Headset Controls' I am able to pause/play with the button on the headphones. You have to hold down the button firmly for about a second. I cannot get it to go to the next track with a double press (as specified in the Vanilla preferences). Also, to get the headset button to work, press play first on the touchscreen, this is what I have found works. I only experience the bug where Vanilla starts skipping through the tracks when the phone is connected to line-out speakers or AUX port in the car, never a problem with headphones, at least the factory Huawei headphones supplied with the phone.. Peter

Ah, we have different "original" headphones. Mine have no buttons and are extremely minimalistic. I actually like it that way.

I'm guessing that because your line-out cord does not have all of the connection of the standard headphones (particularly the microphone connection), it is shorting out the two connections that tell the player to skip to the next track.

I found the the Kiss Music Player is built with a lot of the same code as the Vanilla Music player, so I'm checking that out as well. I prefer its widget, but I think I'll adjust the widget background (to be a bit larger) and some of the other graphics/icons I don't like.

I couldn't modify Kiss Music Player....., but I have better news.

I contacted the author of Vanilla Music player, and communicated with him about our need for "over-setting" the volume (which he had removed in later beta versions). He put that feature back in, and a fresh upload is available on GitHub! It will let you set the volume up to a whopping 149%. It has some more settings, one in particular that I wanted so that you can choose what happens when you tap the cover art (which I set to go to the library). It also lets you set actions for swiping and long-pressing on the cover art. Check it out: https://github.com/kreed/vanilla/downloads (latest version 0.9.3).

If he give permission, maybe I'll make it the default player in an update of the rom. Hmm, I'll have to think about that.

Guest GregorioUY

If you release another version, could you please look for the voicemail issue I told you about a couple of post ago?

It did not happended, on any of the ROMs I've tried (FLB, Basic CM6,CM7.1), just yours

thnx

Guest pedrojaime

I couldn't modify Kiss Music Player....., but I have better news.

I contacted the author of Vanilla Music player, and communicated with him about our need for "over-setting" the volume (which he had removed in later beta versions). He put that feature back in, and a fresh upload is available on GitHub! It will let you set the volume up to a whopping 149%. It has some more settings, one in particular that I wanted so that you can choose what happens when you tap the cover art (which I set to go to the library). It also lets you set actions for swiping and long-pressing on the cover art. Check it out: https://github.com/k...nilla/downloads (latest version 0.9.3).

If he give permission, maybe I'll make it the default player in an update of the rom. Hmm, I'll have to think about that.

Hey twrock you're a star! Please do consider it as the default music player.. I have been meaning to contact the Vanilla developer for a while now, its just finding the time sometimes is difficult. Nice one! This is fantastic news you have given me today! :D

EDIT: upgrading from the previous version of Vanilla Music player (where I had Music volume set to the max), I notice now that it at 144%. This means that this new version provides 5% more volume (up to 149%). Still its an improvement and I really like the ´play on plug in´ feature. The only thing I misss from the old version is being able to exit out of the process so its not always running in the background draining the battery when not listening to music. Nevertheless, the process doesn´t seem to consume musch battery power at all so far. Thanks a lot for getting hold of this new version!

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest mate.st

Hi,I instaled ftb rom without vanila theme, everything is ok, but i dont have contact picture when I have call...??

What i have to do?

I sovled it , my conats was google only. but on call dialer was contacts from sim card that was te reason, i remove all contacs form sim now everthing is working.

this is the fastest and stable rom wich i got on my phone...:rolleyes:

Edited by mate.st

Hey twrock you're a star! Please do consider it as the default music player.. I have been meaning to contact the Vanilla developer for a while now, its just finding the time sometimes is difficult. Nice one! This is fantastic news you have given me today! :D

EDIT: upgrading from the previous version of Vanilla Music player (where I had Music volume set to the max), I notice now that it at 144%. This means that this new version provides 5% more volume (up to 149%). Still its an improvement and I really like the ´play on plug in´ feature. The only thing I misss from the old version is being able to exit out of the process so its not always running in the background draining the battery when not listening to music. Nevertheless, the process doesn´t seem to consume musch battery power at all so far. Thanks a lot for getting hold of this new version!

I'm going to contact him at least one more time, so I'll try to mention that exit feature. Maybe it consumes no power when idle, but I don't know these things.

What I'm looking for is a setting to make swipe-up and swipe-down play the next or previous album. I think that would complement the sideways swiping for previous and next song.