[Guide] How to install a custom ROM & Partition your SD & Root

Guest k0zmic

Guest shuaib10

hI, I am new to this all. On step 1 it says 'donwload gingerbread', I already have the latest version of android on my phone (2.3.6) as I bought it a few days ago from expansys. Do i still need to download it?? Need a response ASAP as i want to root my phone now and install a custom ROM(gingerounay3.0.1)

Edited by shuaib10

On step 1 it says 'donwload gingerbread', I already have the latest version of android on my phone (2.3.6) as I bought it a few days ago from expansys. Do i still need to download it??

No.

Guest shuaib10

No.

WOW, thanks for the ultra-quick reply :)

I have an other question, if i mess up the rooting process, is there anyway I can get back to the original version of the phone?

WOW, thanks for the ultra-quick reply :)

I have an other question, if i mess up the rooting process, is there anyway I can get back to the original version of the phone?

anyone?

Download the a .bin which restores your phone to the original Acer software.

Also, wait 24 hours for a response to a question.

Guest shuaib10

Download the a .bin which restores your phone to the original Acer software.

Also, wait 24 hours for a response to a question.

Thanks

I have a little problem, I'm stuck on step 4, does that mean I have to download gingerbread from the link and then replace it as it says in the guide, and then use acer download tool to flash the bin?

Edited by shuaib10

Thanks

I have a little problem, I'm stuck on step 4, does that mean I have to download gingerbread from the link and then replace it as it says in the guide, and then use acer download tool to flash the bin?

You should be able to skip to step 8 since you already have Gingerbread.

Guest JPatacas

I have made this 4.) Boot to SD Download Mode with Camera / Vol- / Power (the phone will vibrate 3 times) when enter in sd download mode give me an error and start vibrate.

And when i power the phone goes directly to sd download mode and start vibrating again :|

What i have to do ?

Edited by JPatacas

Guest Smeelious

I have made this 4.) Boot to SD Download Mode with Camera / Vol- / Power (the phone will vibrate 3 times) when enter in sd download mode give me an error and start vibrate.

And when i power the phone goes directly to sd download mode and start vibrating again :|

What i have to do ?

Reload the Acer_ug file onto your SD card. If you can't get past the SD download screen while booting, you'll have to take out the SD card and transfer the acer_ug file through some other device, card reader etc.

Edited by Smeelious

Guest JPatacas

Reload the Acer_ug file onto your SD card. If you can't get past the SD download screen while booting, you'll have to take out the SD card and transfer the acer_ug file through some other device, card reader etc.

But when i take out the sd card and power the phone he goes directly to sd download tool, it's a little bit strange ...

Guest Smeelious

But when i take out the sd card and power the phone he goes directly to sd download tool, it's a little bit strange ...

Yeah, because its looking for the update file on the SD card...which it can't find since the SD card isn't there.

Guest JPatacas

Yeah, because its looking for the update file on the SD card...which it can't find since the SD card isn't there.

Ok, so i have to take out the SD card and transfer the acer_ug file through some other device or card reader ?

There is another way to make this ?

Guest mikelete
How to Root Non-Rooted ROM's

1.) Follow steps 7-10 of 'How to install a custom ROM above.

I think it should be "steps 6-10". And before that, it should be said that you got to have "AcerSync" installed on your computer in order to have the drivers needed to make adb.exe work.

How to Root Non-Rooted ROM's

3.) Now turn off the phone and boot into recovery mode (Use the combo Camera / Vol- / Power for ClockworkMod (...)

Actually, this is for Download mode, not recovery. I couldn't make it into recovery using any key combo, so I had to do it with adb.exe and the command "reboot recovery".

Thank you for the guide :)

Edited by mikelete

I think it should be "steps 6-10". And before that, it should be said that you got to have "AcerSync" installed on your computer in order to have the drivers needed to make adb.exe work.

Actually, this is for Download mode, not recovery. I couldn't make it into recovery using any key combo, so I had to do it with adb.exe and the command "reboot recovery".

Thank you for the guide :)

Yeah 6-10 is probably better. Although, I never needed the Acer Sync software, Windows seemed to grab the drivers automatically. But I've added a note for it anyway if Windows doesn't get the drivers.

Apologies, I've updated the post with (what should be) the correct key combo.

No problem, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Guest mikelete
Although, I never needed the Acer Sync software, Windows seemed to grab the drivers automatically.

Well, I don't know. For me, without having installed anything from Acer on my Windows 7, when I connect the Phone to the Computer, the OS only recognizes the "USB mass storage device" and says that it doesn't have drivers for "Acer HSUSB device". And without that ADB doesn't recognize the device. Then, after installing Acer Sync everything works just fine.

By the way, there's no need to apologize. Everybody tries to do their best ;)

Guest NinjaDan666

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for the tutorial. Installed T&L on my Liquid Metal, had a few issues but most of them had already been discussed/solved.

Just wanted to ask if anyone else was having an issue with the GPS? Once I reinstalled Google maps the phone will not locate me at all. Regardless of where I am.

I've tried installing the GPS Status app to see if I connect to any satellites but that just gives me the circulating circle...

Also, I'm upgrading SD cards later, do the custom ROM's boot from SD? Or are they installed to internal memory. Therefore, installation files can be removed with file explore?

Sorry if any of these questions are stupid, pretty new to this.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Also, I'm upgrading SD cards later, do the custom ROM's boot from SD? Or are they installed to internal memory. Therefore, installation files can be removed with file explore?

Nope, they're on internal memory on the system partition. So when you change SD your ROM will remain on the phone although, if you have apps on your SD Card they won't move across.

Great tutorial, thanks. Couple of things that could be improved though:

On step 12) I couldn't boot into that mode either, but thanks to the posted who recommend "adb reboot recovery" which worked fine.

The first part, I presume you mean "wipe data/factory reset" (?) which I done. Then the option is "install zip from sdcard", then select the ZIP file (do not extract the zip to SD like I done first time round)

Cheers

Edited by matt`

I don't get this section at all?? Where do we get AmonRa Recovery from? (have tried google but they seem to relate to HTC devices).

Partitioning your SD Card for A2SD/Link2SD etc.

For the guide I'll be using the AmonRa Recovery Partion SD tool. You can use apps like Gparted etc.

1.) Mount your phone as USB or go into Recovery and select USB MS Toggle and plug the phone into a PC.

2.) IMPORTANT: Backup/Copy the entire contents of your SD Card onto your PC.

3.) Unmount/Disable USB MS and either reboot or go back to recovery.

4.) Select Partition SD.

5.) For the sizes select 0 for Swap. Make the EXT size at least 512MB for A2SD and the rest should be FAT32.

6.) Confirm. All your data on the SD Card will be lost.

7.) Let it complete.

8.) Re-enable USB MS toggle and copy the contents of your SD Card back onto the phone.

9.) Now, you can either do a full wipe and start with a fresh ROM or reboot and try setup Link2SD etc. (Personally, I'd just do a full wipe and start fresh but it's up to you). If you have problems e.g. force closes etc. then do a full wipe.

10.) Enjoy.

The gingerounay refers to the "A2SDGUI provided app to manage it" ~ how do I do this? I've tried clicking on "Apps are on internal storage" but it just loops back. Also tried clicking "swap is deactivated" and its the same.

Edit; I've just tried to play something on iPlayer and it crashes in full screen ~ any ideas? [updating flash has fixed it]

Thanks

Edited by matt`