[Guide] How to install a custom ROM & Partition your SD & Root

Guest k0zmic

Guest mr-brunes

Hold the volume up and focus until the recovery shows up, you only have to hold the power button until the phone vibrates once.

That was the trick - thanks!

Also in case it helps anyone else, "Partition SD" is found under Advanced Settings in the Recovery menu.

I chose 1GB as I have a 32GB card and hopefully have some margin for error, but I couldn't find any clear guidance on how big it actually needs to be (or whether it's possible to resize it afterwards).

Edited by mr-brunes

Guest Spuit11

Has anyone got a mirror for the files hosted on vache-android.com since the site seems to be down? Or does anyone know if the site will be up soon because without the files I can't follow the tutorial.

Edit:

It is back up :)

Edited by Spuit11

I tried to recovery but it gets stuck in adriod screen

I have back up on SD but I am not able to recovery mode... I went to recover mode through adb recovery reboot.

What is the focus button?

Guest gregthebrain

Pls help, I am stuck at number 14, ' 'Install .zip from SDCard'

I selected Gingerounay-3.0.zip and get following msgs after I confirmed

Install from sdcard

Finding update package

Opening update package

Veryfying update package<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

E:Worng digest: system/lib/libvoAMRBWDec.so

E: Verification failed

Installation aborted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest akasma74

Pls help, I am stuck at number 14, ' 'Install .zip from SDCard'

I selected Gingerounay-3.0.zip and get following msgs after I confirmed

Install from sdcard

Finding update package

Opening update package

Veryfying update package<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

E:Worng digest: system/lib/libvoAMRBWDec.so

E: Verification failed

Installation aborted.

boot in recovery, go to "Other" and select "signature" (last string in Recovery 2.2), then go back to "Flash zip"

So I bought this phone, and I want to install the t&l Metal 2.3.6 13 rom, do I have to follow all the guides in the first page? Or just the "How to install a custom rom" guide?

Edit: stuck in the step 4, I get an "image dir not found" error, can't seem to get acer download tool to work, I search for the bin file and hit start but nothing happens

Edit2: Hi again, so I managed to install t&l metal 2.3.6 13 and it turns out I don't like it very much lol, wanna try now Gingerounay 3.0.1, do I have to go back to the stock rom first or can I just install Ginerrounay on the recovery mode?

I tried flashing in the Acer download tool but I always get the error in the attachment

post-963076-0-04520000-1328703004_thumb.

Edited by SLBoy

Guest SpiderMonkay

I have followed the post and sucessfully have been using a custom rom for about a month with no problems. (For reasons that I never expected) I need to revert the phone back to how it was when New. The phone already had gingerbread when i bought it, can someone please explain in simple terms how i can revert back to its original state. I never created a backup, because the step by step instructions here never suggested it.

Can I just use this http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3460 ?

Any help would be really really appreciated.

Edited by SpiderMonkay

can someone please explain in simple terms how i can revert back to its original state. I never created a backup, because the step by step instructions here never suggested it.

Can I just use this http://support.acer....px?modelId=3460 ?

Any help would be really really appreciated.

I never included it since I always felt it was easier to just use the 'acer_ug' on the SD card to revert to a stock ROM. IIRC this should restore it to stock recovery too.

Edited by k0zmic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Quick question...

I have partitioned my SD card and I'm curious what do I do from now on?

Should I select option "move to SD" in Link2SD every time I download a new app?

I downloaded Beautiful Widgets but when I move them to SD it doesn't work...

Can someone please explain me how this partitioning works and how do I prevent my phone from running out of internal memory now?

Thanks

Edited by Petexx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest armageddon97

help me , if i get in recovery mode and let it instal it say: invalid ..... install abord. what should i do (sorry for my bad englisch

It appears quite a few people (including myself) have decided to purchase the Metal due to the excellent price at Expansys. Subsequently, I reckon there are going to be a few questions on how to install a custom ROM etc. so I've put together this guide.

This guide isn't really my own I've just taken the information from here, here and here and aggregated it.

How to install a Custom ROM

1.) Download Gingerbread: http://vache-android....php?fileID=124

2.) Extract the "acer_ug" folder from the zip file on your SDCard

(optional) : Reboot in recovery and wipe all/factory reset

3.) Power off your phone

4.) Boot to SD Download Mode with Camera / Vol- / Power (the phone will vibrate 3 times)

5.) Wait until it has finished, the phone will reboot

6.) Activate USB debugging on your phone.(How to)

7.) Plug your phone to your computer with your USB cable

8.) Download Recovery 3.0: http://vache-android....php?fileID=125

9.) Unzip the "RecoveryMT-3.0" folder from the zip file

10.) Launch "install_recovery.cmd"

11.) Download your custom ROM e.g. http://android.modac...y-301-05112011/ and copy and paste either files onto the SDCard

12.) Boot into recovery mode using Volume Up + Focus + Power

13.) Select 'Wipe Data/Factory Reset' (don't wipe the SD Card).

14.) Go back and select 'Install .zip from SDCard' and browse to the ROM file, confirm.

15.) Enjoy

Important Note: SD Download Mode (Step 4) checks if the language in the BIN files are consistent, this may mean you need to use the Acer Download Tool from here to flash BIN files of a different language. It's probably a good idea to try this utility if you get error messages at step 4.

Flash the BIN file in /acer_ug/acer_xx/whateverfile.bin using the download tool, select the BIN File in the Merged OS File section. See screenshot attached.

Thanks to Vache for instructions 1 to 10 & Thanks to lgcmn for the basic structure of the guide from this thread: http://android.modac...final-tl-metal/ & Thanks to Vikings123 for notifying me of the limitations of SD Download mode. Also, Thanks flibblesan for pinning this. Thanks for Chrishund for letting me borrow the instructions on how to root.

Sorry if there are any mistakes or anything else to be aware of, if so please let me know and I'll amend them.

Partitioning your SD Card for A2SD/Link2SD etc.

For the guide I'll be using the Partition feature from AmonRa Recovery available here. You can use apps like Gparted etc. as well as ClockworkMod Recovery if you prefer.

Before beginning you need to have rebooted into Recovery Mode. To this with the respective key combo's above or use 'ADB Reboot Recovery' when your phone is plugged into a computer with USB Debugging enabled.

1.) Mount your phone as USB or go into Recovery and select USB MS Toggle and plug the phone into a PC.

2.) IMPORTANT: Backup/Copy the entire contents of your SD Card onto your PC.

3.) Unmount/Disable USB MS and either reboot or go back to recovery.

4.) Select Partition SD.

5.) For the sizes select 0 for Swap. Make the EXT size at least 512MB for A2SD and the rest should be FAT32.

6.) Confirm. All your data on the SD Card will be lost.

7.) Let it complete.

8.) Re-enable USB MS toggle and copy the contents of your SD Card back onto the phone.

9.) Now, you can either do a full wipe and start with a fresh ROM or reboot and try setup Link2SD etc. (Personally, I'd just do a full wipe and start fresh but it's up to you). If you have problems e.g. force closes etc. then do a full wipe.

10.) Enjoy.

How to Root Non-Rooted ROM's

1.) Follow steps 6-10 of 'How to install a custom ROM above. Note: If your PC doesn't recognize the phone then you may need to install Acer Sync.

2.) Download this and copy it onto your SDCard.

3.) Now turn off the phone and boot into recovery mode Volume Up + Focus + Power (For ClockworkMod).

Down + Focus (Press Camera button Gently) + Power for AmonRA.

4. Choose 'install .zip from SD Card' and find the Superuser.zip install and reboot.

Guest k0zmic

help me , if i get in recovery mode and let it instal it say: invalid ..... install abord. what should i do (sorry for my bad englisch

Find and disable toggle signature verification or whatever it's called in Recovery. (Can't remember the steps as I don't have the phone any longer)

Edited by k0zmic

Guest omar_ita

3.) Power off your phone

Hello everybody,

Thank you k0zmic and all other guys for this guide. Acer MT is my first Android device and I'm trying for the first time to attempt a ROM install, so sorry for my ignorance!

I downloaded the file you linked and it seems the same version of Firmware that already were installed, when I bought it: that is Acer_liquidMT_4.000.13_EMEA_GEN1 .. Am I wrong? Do I need to execute these steps?

Another important question for me, please! Before doing any update I would like to backup my current system configuration (to avoid warranty voided). How to do a full Rom/Kernel Backup (and Restore, of course)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english!

Regards,

Omar.

Guest k0zmic

Hello everybody,

Thank you k0zmic and all other guys for this guide. Acer MT is my first Android device and I'm trying for the first time to attempt a ROM install, so sorry for my ignorance!

I downloaded the file you linked and it seems the same version of Firmware that already were installed, when I bought it: that is Acer_liquidMT_4.000.13_EMEA_GEN1 .. Am I wrong? Do I need to execute these steps?

Another important question for me, please! Before doing any update I would like to backup my current system configuration (to avoid warranty voided). How to do a full Rom/Kernel Backup (and Restore, of course)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english!

Regards,

Omar.

No need to re-install it if your phone came with it.

To backup you first need to install ClockWorkMod or Amon Ra Recovery. Then you can boot into recovery mode using 'Quickboot' from the Market/Google Play or by using the key combination Vol Down + Vol Up + Power + Camera when turning the phone on. Then use the volume keys to scroll to 'Backup' select it to backup.

Guest armageddon97

i have 2 files, witch one is the ROM file?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest carrarina

Hi all! I want to upgrade my Liquid MT from Gingerounay 2.5 to stock 2.3.6.

As I read, the only thing to do is to flash the 4.000.13 bin file whit ADT or using SD download mode.

This operations remove my recovery?

My problems are: if when I flash the bin something go wrong, how can I turn back to stock condition, if I have not recovery?

Guest liqMT

@Cararrina, if something goes wrong, you always have fastboot to recover your device. I'm not sure if installing the Acer ROM will erase your recoveryMT. And if it doesn't override your custom recovery, you won't be in stock conditions, isn't it? ;)

My question now, please: what would you MT users select for ext size for a 32GB sdcard? 512M, 1/2/4G? And ext2/3/4, is it that important? I know the 2 last are journaling FS, but I neither know the diff between them, nor if/how gingerbread deals with that not to harm the sd. I'm ready to partition, I just miss these answers and an other that is not in the guide about restoration: in which partition do I paste back all the data that I backed up to my pc? Assuming I see no info on it, I guess it is to the fat, right? Because 95% around couldn't paste to ext from Windows. (btw, I'm not ready to flash a ROM, so I'll stick stock GB-2.3.6 as long as I have not found from forums 2 or 3 custom roms 100% working for my MT).

Thanks

Edited by liqMT

Guest carrarina

thanks for your reply! Obviously I want to return to stock 2.3.6 to flash newer costum rom :)

Sorry, but I can't help you about sd partition :(

Guest k0zmic

My question now, please: what would you MT users select for ext size for a 32GB sdcard? 512M, 1/2/4G? And ext2/3/4, is it that important? I know the 2 last are journaling FS, but I neither know the diff between them, nor if/how gingerbread deals with that not to harm the sd. I'm ready to partition, I just miss these answers and an other that is not in the guide about restoration: in which partition do I paste back all the data that I backed up to my pc? Assuming I see no info on it, I guess it is to the fat, right? Because 95% around couldn't paste to ext from Windows. (btw, I'm not ready to flash a ROM, so I'll stick stock GB-2.3.6 as long as I have not found from forums 2 or 3 custom roms 100% working for my MT).

Thanks

I'd go for 1GB and EXT3. This way you can use S2E or DarkTremor for A2SD.

Yeah paste back onto the FAT partition which is the only one that's visible from Windows.

Guest liqMT

thanks for your reply! Obviously I want to return to stock 2.3.6 to flash newer costum rom :)

Sorry, but I can't help you about sd partition :(

Then after returning to stock rom, you'll have to flash the custom recovery before the new cust rom.

The way you flash the custom reco depends on what system you rely, win or linux.

The linux way, worked for me and my Liquid MT (Vache's recoMT3.0 and Gingerounay3.0): http://sorrodje.alte...rom-sdk-android

Edited by liqMT

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bouncypete

3.) Power off your phone

4.) Boot to SD Download Mode with Camera / Vol- / Power (the phone will vibrate 3 times)

5.) Wait until it has finished, the phone will reboot

6.) Activate USB debugging on your phone.(How to)

7.) Plug your phone to your computer with your USB cable

8.) Download Recovery 3.0: http://vache-android....php?fileID=125

9.) Unzip the "RecoveryMT-3.0" folder from the zip file

10.) Launch "install_recovery.cmd"

11.) Download your custom ROM e.g. http://android.modac...y-301-05112011/ and copy and paste either files onto the SDCard

12.) Boot into recovery mode using Volume Up + Focus + Power

13.) Select 'Wipe Data/Factory Reset' (don't wipe the SD Card).

14.) Go back and select 'Install .zip from SDCard' and browse to the ROM file, confirm.

15.) Enjoy.

At step 10 Launch "install_recovery.cmd" when run the program is cannot see my phone. I note the first thing the command script says is "on your computer install Acer driver" but I don't know what this is.

If I skip step 10 then at step 14 I get

Install /sdcard …

Finding update...

Opening update package...

Verifiying update package...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted.

In post 106 akasma74 said "boot in recovery, go to "Other" and select "signature" (last string in Recovery 2.2), then go back to "Flash zip" but I can't see the "other" option. (I'm sure this is because I had to skip step 10 but I'm asking here in case it's not)

Please help

Update - I realised I had never installed Acer active sync on my PC thus it didn't have the drivers i required. Once I'd installed Acer active sync everything worked like a dream. Thanks to the OP for this thread.

Edited by Bouncypete

• 3 months later...
Guest met4ller87

hi, with every rom that I tried (azure, t&l, gingerounay) i had and i still have a strange bug: when i lock the screen, sometimes the screen turns on for few seconds (2-3) and after it turns off - and approx it happens also 3-4-5 times per minute !!!

I tried different kernels (1.2, 1.3a, 1.3b, 1.3c, and now 1.5) but nothing changes.

Probably it's an installed app that brings this problem ( normally I restore apps with Appmonster directely from SD) , I thought could be a link with the app "screen off and lock" - that lock the screen with a widget, I uninstalled it and after wipes the bug still remain.

I don't know what can be the source of this boring bug; maybe if I list my apps, can you help me finding the "intruder" ?? :)

Thanks and nice forum! ;)

Edited by met4ller87

Guest liqMT

Just an idea as I'm very newb in all that android thing. You could try to use the "Permissions" app to dig. Maybe something related to WAKE_LOCK or VIBRATE. Again this this just an idea. For me I completly disabled the vibror with standard options (I mean "not with Permissions") and I never met your symptom.

Guest Mtman1

Just out of curiosity, do you use a different lockscreen (go locker, Holo locker, etc) or do you use the stock lockscren?

Edited by Mtman1