Alcatel onetouch 990

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

I noticed we dont have an Alcatel section for devices here, so I'm posting here...

O2 have finaly got the Alcatel onetouch 990 out in the UK, only 2 weeks after the 'offical' launch they have stock in store... £99.99 + £10 topup (if your not an existing customer)..

It's quite another nice little budget Android device, in a market that seems to be filling up, its a lot more sturdy built than the ZTE Blade, feels nice and heavy, but still plastic, there are 4 front buttons, 3 of them being touch and 1 physical.. it has the USB and headphone socket at the top of the device, and seems quite a nice little device.

From Stock it's running 2.2.2 and has a fair amount of customisation going ontop, but not as bad as the Bloat that Orange inflict on their devices. It has quite a strange layout, Alcatel seem to split the system partition into 2 and then applied a bunch of nasty hacks to get it working, so there are two app directory and a 3rd directory where the resources for the apps on the system partition live.... I'm really at a loss as to why they did this, when it all ends up on the internal storage anyway....

Anyway, as ever I have build a copy of Clockwork Mod Recovery for it, and updated the Stock ROM to the usual place..

http://blog.podtwo.com/tag/alcatel ot990

I'm working on a debranded ROM, but due to the strange partition layout its trickier than usual... probably be out in the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sebastian404

Any chance for OC kernel?

Not had much chance to look at this, I've recently started a new job and thats taking up a lot of my time...

I was not able to find any kernel source, I emailed Alcatel to ask for it, but no response yet..

Guest rangeoshun

Me neither! I emailed Alcatel, asking if they want to update to 2.3, and they said no. I asked them then, when will the source code be available, still no answer!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rangeoshun

Hey! I do not have the phone, maybe I won't even buy one, but I was writing to Alcatel, for the kernel source, and their reply was:

Dear Ábel,

We sincerely apologize the inconvenience!

we have checked with the project team who are in the process to setup the repository and will creating a free account in Sourceforge.net for end users to download kernel source. We will send you the link once it is ready.

Sorry to keep you waiting!

Should you have another request, do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for choosing Alcatel!

So keep waiting and I'll post more info on this!

Guest Sebastian404

Hey! I do not have the phone, maybe I won't even buy one, but I was writing to Alcatel, for the kernel source, and their reply was:

So keep waiting and I'll post more info on this!

Interesting method of getting the source out.... lets hope they do make it..

There is a number of sub £100 decent handsets going around at the moment, the OT990 is one of the better quality ones, just a shame it will be lost in a sea of simular devices

Guest rangeoshun

Interesting method of getting the source out.... lets hope they do make it..

There is a number of sub £100 decent handsets going around at the moment, the OT990 is one of the better quality ones, just a shame it will be lost in a sea of simular devices

A question: does the ot990s display has this ghost like effect, or only the display one has a faulty display in the shop?!

@sebastian404:

Dropped in to say your CWM installed nicely unto my OT-990, still testing out if all functions work well.

Hope you can keep interested in the phone for quite awhile :)

post-382803-0-21755600-1318903606_thumb.

A question: does the ot990s display has this ghost like effect, or only the display one has a faulty display in the shop?!

To my eyes, yes, it is a bit "ghosty"/"flickery" ... the cost to keep things affordable I guess. I can live with it though.

Guest Sebastian404

Keep in mind I don't have the kernel source so I'm not at all sure if the ext3/ext4 stuff will work....

I can't say I'd noticed that much wrong with the display on mine, but I've not really used it in anger

Guest junming79

I noticed we dont have an Alcatel section for devices here, so I'm posting here...

O2 have finaly got the Alcatel onetouch 990 out in the UK, only 2 weeks after the 'offical' launch they have stock in store... £99.99 + £10 topup (if your not an existing customer)..

It's quite another nice little budget Android device, in a market that seems to be filling up, its a lot more sturdy built than the ZTE Blade, feels nice and heavy, but still plastic, there are 4 front buttons, 3 of them being touch and 1 physical.. it has the USB and headphone socket at the top of the device, and seems quite a nice little device.

From Stock it's running 2.2.2 and has a fair amount of customisation going ontop, but not as bad as the Bloat that Orange inflict on their devices. It has quite a strange layout, Alcatel seem to split the system partition into 2 and then applied a bunch of nasty hacks to get it working, so there are two app directory and a 3rd directory where the resources for the apps on the system partition live.... I'm really at a loss as to why they did this, when it all ends up on the internal storage anyway....

Anyway, as ever I have build a copy of Clockwork Mod Recovery for it, and updated the Stock ROM to the usual place..

I'm working on a debranded ROM, but due to the strange partition layout its trickier than usual... probably be out in the next few days.

Hi Sebastian hi all

First I'd like to thank you for your recovery, I could replace the insanely ugly and bloated French Orange ROM with the much better stock rom on your server!

But I'm also writing because I have great news: I asked Alcatel in English, in French and in Chinese; they only replied in the latter... (that confirmed my views about customer service in Europe) ; here is the translation:

If your device is indeed One Touch 990 and not TCL A990, the source for the kernel will be made available in December. We will send you the link to download it in due time.

So only 2 months to wait until we can start the development on it :)

Edited by junming79

Guest Sebastian404

I have a mostly rebranded rooted ROM I've been working on, I'm having problems getting the browser to work tho which is tricky... Still no idea why they spilt to system file system over two partitions, makes it ticks to get stuff where it should be.. Nearly there tho

I have one of these after my blade started playing up. It's a very nice phone in many respects (good battery life, solid feel etc but bad place for an unlock button! If it's in my pocket I think I've pressed the button to get it ready for a swipe unlock* and it turns out the phone was the other way round and I'd pressed the volume button! A small gripe, I'll admit).

My particular phone has a couple of issues - Firstly I've found that it wipes the time/date etc after it'sbeen powered off and on (not even with taking the battery out, just turning it off) and also widgets disappear from my homescreen with no particular regularity. This may well be a stock rom thing (otherwise the rom it comes with is relatively bloat-less).

Nice phone otherwise, could anyone suggest a way to root it though, please? I'm fed up of the apps on there that I simply don't want, so I'd like to get titanium back up running on it.

Thanks in advance!

Guy

*copyright Apple technologies ;)

Edited by guythp

• 2 weeks later...
Guest djada80

Hi and congrats for your great efforts ! I have a question : is your version of CWM built on the CM6 or 7 platform ?Your unofficial ot-908 version is ok,working.pls consider us on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1273508 !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sebastian404

After a lot of stalling and life and the like getting into the way I've finally sorted out all the issues with my debranded rom, I'm uploading it now, I'll post a new topic once I've done.

@djada80 sorry I missed your question, its based on the gingerbread branch of CyanogenMod, if you sync to the most recent version of that repo and then copy the device info from my github you should be able to build your own version.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jean019

Hi,

first Sebastian404 I would like to thank you for your O2 light ROM (2011/11/22), it works well :)

I have a question about Nandroid backuup with the specific ClockWorkMod for OT-990.

Does it work with your light O2 ROM ? I mean, is it possible to backup/restore an image using Nandroid after installing a lot of softwares ? (I'm not sure because of /custpack directory).

Thanks !

• 1 month later...
Guest toumpanos

I cannot manually adjust brightness with your debranded rom, it keeps fore closing. . . I did a full wipe, cache clean, and dalvic cache clean. . . so it must be the rom sebastian. . . Cheers!

Guest paranoiadk

i was googling around and found an interesting link - http://www.4shared.c...m_ROM_234_.html

supposedly it's gingerbread for OT990.

i'd like to try it out, but don't really have the courage to brick my wife's phone. smile.gif

also, i have next to no knowledge when it comes to android roms. so if anyone who's a bit more experienced can look at this...

thx

pdk

PS: the user is from serbia and the filesize is cca 80MB. and the zip contains what looks to be a fastboot script, fastboot.exe and all the files required for flashing. but like i said, i don't know squat about android roms and can't verify that the files are real.

Edited by paranoiadk

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for ur work for Ot 990, i really appreciate ur work n strugle,(alaaas........i wanna do but i cant do like u coz i not have way).......i hope u will continue ur try for helping pplz.

Bro i wanna ask one question, How can i reboot OT 990 in recovery with physical buttons(like volume + power etc)? i searched alot but can not find any info about this, waiting for ur reply.