ZTE to boost Skate to 1GHz with 'firmware update'?

Guest Simon O

I was reading a newly published review of the Orange Monte Carlo on Trusted Reviews when I came across this interesting part:

Interestingly ZTE hasn't ruled out boosting the Monte Carlo processor to 1GHz at a later date through firmware...

taken from http://www.trustedreviews.com/orange-monte-carlo-zte-skate_Mobile-Phone_review_value-and-verdict_Page-2

Sounds to me that, if it's true, ZTE will provide a pre-overclocked kernel image in a future update?

Guest kallt_kaffe

I'd be very surprised if this would turn out to be true. Does Qualcomm even sell MSM7227 processor that are tested above 800MHz?

We also know from overclocking that only a few Skates reach above 1GHz. I do however suspect some of them are hitting a limit with the GPU that likely overclocks with the CPU on the Skate (this is not the same on the ZTE Blade btw) but I still seriously doubt this will happen.

I would expect any 1GHz ZTE Skates to have a MSM7230 (at least).

seems reasonable, since KaltKafe is overclocking them anyway now to 1Ghz without seperating the GPU, Bus and CPU dividers.....remember the 256MB Blades later unblocked 512MB memory through changes...

Guest kallt_kaffe

No, it's not reasonable. Going 1GHz by some kernel hacking is one thing but a large phone manufacturer releasing an updated firmware that would run the processor at speeds that it is not guaranteed for by Qualcomm is, imho, very unlikely.

Asfaik there is no MSM7227 that goes above 800MHz (officially). I think the original rumours about the Skate was 1GHz and Flash support. That indicates the originally planned a version with a MSM7230 CPU (or perhaps a QSD8250). I still find it possilble that there will be another version of the Skate with a better CPU but a overclocked firmware? No, I find that very unlikely. The article is propably based on wrong information or a misunderstanding.

I was reading a newly published review of the Orange Monte Carlo on Trusted Reviews when I came across this interesting part:

taken from http://www.trustedre...-verdict_Page-2

Sounds to me that, if it's true, ZTE will provide a pre-overclocked kernel image in a future update?

Well that rules out OMC customers then, they don't issue updates!

No, it's not reasonable. Going 1GHz by some kernel hacking is one thing but a large phone manufacturer releasing an updated firmware that would run the processor at speeds that it is not guaranteed for by Qualcomm is, imho, very unlikely.

isn't that kind of what motorola are doing with the defy+ ?

Guest Sebastian404

I still find it possilble that there will be another version of the Skate with a better CPU but a overclocked firmware? No, I find that very unlikely. The article is propably based on wrong information or a misunderstanding.

I think its more likely they will do what the did with the blade and its upgraded Camera, it will get re-released with a new name and a new CPU

Of course it is all rumor and speculation...

I think its more likely they will do what the did with the blade and its upgraded Camera, it will get re-released with a new name and a new CPU

Of course it is all rumor and speculation...

does the libra have a different cpu to the blade?

or do you mean the skate is a blade with a new camera/cpu? :D