Did your AndyPad / Pro arrive? Share your thoughts here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest simonedlington

Did your AndyPad / Pro arrive? I really want to hear your thoughts!

:)

P

Yep, it did first thing ... though I wasn't home and the wife's nicked it and gone to work with it - cow!

I have to say was really considering this and I suppose I still am.

I prefer the 7inch tablet models over 10inch. simply because if I want something big I'll take my laptop with me.

But there are so many things against this at the moment.

Paul you've said it's a decent device but the ROM isn't great. From an O2X user (currently on FR19) I would want something with either decent software or to know that there is a community developing for it is a must as I know the hard way what a sucky ROM can make you feel about a device.

I would go for the Pro model but as you say there are devices coming out soon around the same price that will theoretically have more support for them.

All adds up to, I'm just not sure and so am holding out (especially keeping an eye on sights for cheap Touchpads as well).

I suppose the one I would be really after is the new samsung 7.7 with Super AMOLED display, but god knows what price that'll be and if it will ever see the day of light due to CRapple.

Guest Mark #255

Well, mine (Andypad, not the pro) arrived yesterday, so I've only had a short play with it.

SD videos play fine. Of three HD (1080p) videos I tried, two were fine; the third seemed slightly out of sync. (However, I grabbed them off Youtube, so it could be the source). Still, as my movie collection includes precisely 1 1080p file (which I had to re-encode to 720p anyway) this isn't a major black mark.

Shelves (the ebook reader) coped admirably with an A4 PDF. I've not tried any epubs yet.

Games run well. The included Raging Thunder is an arcade-style racing game where you hold (and turn) the tablet like a steering wheel. This ran smoothly, as did Speedx 3D (travel down a tube, dodge the obstacles by twisting the tablet).

Viewing the screen from some angles does look odd, but hey, it's a one-person tablet. If you really want to watch movies with other people, there's a mini-HDMI out, and appropriate cables are around 2 quid from play.com.

So, it does what I wanted it to (games and media consumption), and at a price that, six months ago, got you nowhere near as much.

I went for the Andy Pad Pro. I like it, but am also disappointed with some things.

The ROM is definitely a mess (god knows what it was like before they started tweaking it!). It definitely feels laggier than my Desire (running Leedroid), even though theres no doubt significantly less bloat that I've installed on my phone. The theme is awful so I'm really hoping some of the brains over here can get tweaking soon.

Has anyone found where to get to the battery status? It seems missing to me, but that could be because so far I've only used Sense and so this is my first Vanilla Android experience.

I dont like the way it charges...theres no LED to show its getting juice meaning you have to keep checking the screen. It comes with a stupidly short power cable meaning you cant really use it when charging. In fact, even if it were longer, you cant charge it whilst using it unless you want to wait 7-8 hours according to their forum (since the device is drawing so much power against what the mains adapter is putting out).

So far battery life is nowhere near what they're saying (I reckon I got about 3.5 hours last night...surfing and gaming), but I'm putting this down to maybe the battery needing to calibrate?

The location of the speakers is massively dumb since your hand covers it in landscape mode.

Hmm reading back that all seems quite negative. However, it feels good in the hand, on paper the specs are good and based on their forums they seem like a decent bunch. I ran some 720p MKV files on it and they all looked perfectly smooth to me. One was slightly out on synch, but again that could be the source.

I think once modders get to grips with it (hopefully they will give it some attention...if I was AndyPad I'd definitely be sending out some freebies to the experts so it helps drum up the enthusiast market), I'm really confident it'll become the device I hoped it would be.

Edit: Couple of other things are now really shaking my faith in these devices. One is the underclocking which Paul mentions in his review. Quick System Info Pro is reporting it at 1.008ghz, not 1.2. One wonders what the effect of getting the extra advertised 20% out of the CPU is going to do the battery life.

Also, further evidence at the appalling state of the ROM is the fact that for an hour and half, without the device in use, my battery level went up about 15%. However, when I unplugged it and started using it on Wifi, the level continued to rise (from about 45% to 62!). Whats thats all about?!

Edited by furbs

Guest kokotron

I got mine (PRO) yesterday! I'm impressed with the screen and the performance of games and videos. I was slightly put off by (equally slight) touch/app responsiveness issues. Software could use more work, especially the theme, which doesn't look nice with certain apps (they have enforced a light blue background instead of the typical black one, so if an app has light text colours, there can be readability issues). Wi-Fi has a problem for me too, if I turn off wi-fi while on a network, when I turn it on again it will be "out of range" and I have to "forget" it and re-enter password. I posted about these and a couple of more stuff in their forums: http://www.andypad.c...o-glitches.aspx

I've got an Andy Pad Pro to. I didn't had much time to try it since I received mine yesterday.

The build quality seems good. I hoped for a different power plug from UK one, but we can't have everything I suppose :-)

Once powered the first time it's pretty laggy. I changed the stock launcher and now it's better, still lagging anyway.

The screen isn't bad but it's abit unresponsive. The software need to be reworked, for sure.

The worst thing are with no doubt the cameras. Positive note: Games runs well, I tried Riptide GP and Fieldrunners HD.

Potentially it's a good tablet, but we need to wait and see how much support the community will give to AP.

Edited by aro03

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rufree2talk

I received my Andy Pad Pro pretty much in time, so full marks for delivery. Got it delivered to a friend living in the UK. He got it along when he visited me this weekend in Switzerland. I already had read so many bad reviews about it, that I was mentally prepared for a few things already. However, what I saw now makes me even angrier. I am a ZTE Blade owner too (ya cheap devices attract me), and its stock firmware (except the Orange bloat, or not even that actually) was perfect. Yes it was 2.1 when phones had 2.3, but it worked without hassles. And now that CyanogenMod is available for it, I have no complains with the device, and actually never did. Unfortunately can't say the same about the Andy Pad Pro. Within the first half an hour of looking around, so many basics were not working, that I am quite sad for investing the 180 quid that I did in this:

- AndyApp crashes when I try to install the single game that it offers to install - Stupid Zombies. Its not the game, its the AndyApp which FCs immediately. I'm like, its the first app which probably novices would use and WTF?!

- Bluetooth is a mess. File transfers just don't work, there is no option of Bluetooth in Share menus, enabling Bluetooth, changing something (like Device name) and disabling Bluetooth, reverts all Bluetooth settings back to factory defaults. What's the point of selling a device like this?

- Google Maps is recommended app on their website. And it keeps FCing. I am sure its not the app to blame only.

- That irritating (no service) message and everything in the firmware which makes the tablet think it is a phone.

- The laggy Market app, which we all know the story of now

- Skype video refuses to work, which I guess is again not completely the app's fault.

- The back camera is a stupid 2MP, which is worse than cheap mobile phone cameras too. The irritating part is that they never advertised the capacity of the camera on the Specs page of the AndyPad or AndyPad Pro. Now really why would somebody hide this; cause they know they have put something really shitty in the device.

I really want to return this device, but my friend isn't going back to the UK. The money doesn't hurt as much as the feeling of being robbed. And since Paul has been praising the Archos G9 so much over the last few days, it really makes me feel sad about my choice. I never believed in impulsive shopping, except that here it was not an option, as I was ordering it through a friend, and not directly. Just makes me even more sure to not indulge in such impulsive shopping ever.

Unless they push a firmware update which fixes these basic issues first, I think I am really cross with them for making a fool out of me.

Guest lordjubblydave

What the previous postDr wrote, plus my power supply exploded.

returned within 3 days of buying, a complete piece of junk.

I would not recommend buying one to anyone.

Rufree, not sure how this would work with regards to the fact its been passed on to you (since the contract of sale starts and ends with your friend who purchased it), or how it works internationally, but if your friend ordered it and had it delivered to the UK, theres a glimmer of hope.

I'd suggest getting your friend to email their customer support team (who seem ok) and telling them you want to return it because its not fit for purpose and/or not sold as advertised. That carries more weight than distance selling regs with their limited time scale. From what I remember of my order (thankfully now returned), they didnt include any details on right to cancel in the paperwork, which extends the time frame to return to three months.

If going down the "not as described" line (the CPU is but one example of this) doesn't take care of it right away, just threaten them with reporting them to Norfolk Trading Standards. Given the debacle of this product launch, the threat of a visit from trading standards is probably enough to give them nightmares.

That said, I've had a positive experience with their CS department (once they actually managed to arrange collection!) so I have high hopes it wouldnt have to come to you playing hardball.

Actually another thought crossed my mind, theres a post on the forum (possibly the market place announcement?) where the MD says they'll offer refunds no questions asked as a result of the issue. Might want to have a look and screenprint it as extra ammo.

Ideally though, I'd suggest doing this all through your friend as again, the contract is only with them.

Edited by furbs