[2.3.5]The official Gingerbread finally came...

Guest gavin(*)

Guest Lollauser

This is a superuser problem, the new version just force closes, happened to me, the only way i could solve it was to flash the rom again and use the older version of su.

I tried everything, removing updates, re flashing su in the end a complete reflash of the rom was the only thing that worked.

Thank, but digging a little more into it i found out on the official su site that a partial solution is, in the settings, to set automatic permission without ask notification, and also disable logging.

Of course this method brings security risks, thus is to be considered a temporary workaround, while waiting for an effective su update.

But for now.... It worked for me :) even after letting su update to last 3.0.5, which from release notes is supposed to fix FC issues...but behave exactly the same as 3.0.4.

Guest spicysomtam

Gen1/2 operate on different 3g frequencies (900/1900/2100 850/1900/2100mhz). The difference is the radio partition and hardware. Thus you need to use the correct rom. Very common for manufacturers to offer slightly different models for different regions. Thailand, Australia and parts of the US use 850mhz. Gen1 emea; gen2 rest of the world.

I originally bought the phone because I spend time in Thailand and expansys advertised the phone as a gen2. When it arrived it turned out to be a gen1. I was going to return it but figured it was still good value so i kept it. Might get a gen2 when i am back in Thailand or another Chinese Andriod; the latest phones support two sims on, with the 2nd sim needing to be a 2g sim; ideal for parts of Thailand where reception is dire on your main network but another network is fine.

Regarding flashing and different radios: if you completly reflash the radio is replaced. I once flashed a 900mhz radio onto a phone that had 850mhz hardware. Guess what the phone couldnt call/do data/etc until i flashed back a rom with an 850mhz radio. Generally if you are doing an upgrade, the radio is not replaced; that is an upgrade using flash zip from a recovery. For example Cyanogenmod roms never replace the radio, so they never have to worry about the varient of the phone you have.

Edited by spicysomtam

Guest noogai93

Gen1/2 operate on different 3g frequencies (900/1900/2100 850/1900/2100mhz). The difference is the radio partition and hardware. Thus you need to use the correct rom. Very common for manufacturers to offer slightly different models for different regions. Thailand, Australia and parts of the US use 850mhz. Gen1 emea; gen2 rest of the world.

I originally bought the phone because I spend time in Thailand and expansys advertised the phone as a gen2. When it arrived it turned out to be a gen1. I was going to return it but figured it was still good value so i kept it. Might get a gen2 when i am back in Thailand or another Chinese Andriod; the latest phones support two sims on, with the 2nd sim needing to be a 2g sim; ideal for parts of Thailand where reception is dire on your main network but another network is fine.

Regarding flashing and different radios: if you completly reflash the radio is replaced. I once flashed a 900mhz radio onto a phone that had 850mhz hardware. Guess what the phone couldnt call/do data/etc until i flashed back a rom with an 850mhz radio. Generally if you are doing an upgrade, the radio is not replaced; that is an upgrade using flash zip from a recovery. For example Cyanogenmod roms never replace the radio, so they never have to worry about the varient of the phone you have.

my phone is a gen2 and i flashed it to gen1, i haven't noticed anything, the phone still operates, but just to check i'm going to flash back to gen 2 and see if there is any difference.

Guest spicysomtam

The only difference is 850/900Mhz. Chances are you are on 2100Mhz as this the standard for 3g so gen1/2 hardware will be the same. The reason for different frequencies? Different regulations in each country and certain operators can only use certain frequencies. 850Mhz is not very popular. Blackberries always support all the frequencies.

You can check the radio version in Settings->About phone->Baseband version. On my other phone it has the 850/900 as part of the baseband name. If the version doesn't change between roms chances are the radio was not flashed.

Guest skyonesky

my phone is a gen2 and i flashed it to gen1, i haven't noticed anything, the phone still operates, but just to check i'm going to flash back to gen 2 and see if there is any difference.

but it wouldn't be the same if your main language was german or italian, the GEN2 has english and asian languages only.

How did you do this? I downloaded gen1 version from acer website, and the installer tells me I can not install gen1 on gen2 device (I'm currently on the 2.3.5 gen2 version).. I want to install the gen1 because I can not seem to access my desired language on gen2 (morelocale2 doesn't help).

Guest noogai93

How did you do this? I downloaded gen1 version from acer website, and the installer tells me I can not install gen1 on gen2 device (I'm currently on the 2.3.5 gen2 version).. I want to install the gen1 because I can not seem to access my desired language on gen2 (morelocale2 doesn't help).

I just used the acer download tool, its an automated process. I had no problems there is a link to it in the "how to install a custom rom" thread all instructions are there.

You can only flash different language roms with ADT e.g. from GEN2 to GEN1. SD download mode does not work if you are changing from a different language based rom.

Hope that helps.

Guest vikings123

Extra the BIN file and then use Acer_Down_Tools to flash.

I just used the acer download tool, its an automated process. I had no problems there is a link to it in the "how to install a custom rom" thread all instructions are there.

You can only flash different language roms with ADT e.g. from GEN2 to GEN1. SD download mode does not work if you are changing from a different language based rom.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, when people mentioned the acer download tool I thought it was the actual program from acer, not a custom made one. I got it to work now, but gen1 is very limited in languages too and it did not have my language (swedish).

Any suggestions?

Bought this as a christmas present for my mum, but I don't know what to do now.. I find it hard to believe that you can't simply download/set a new language for this phone (especially since it exists on other android phones, so its obviously supported by android), but I'm starting to think it's impossible :(

Edited by fruxo

They don't include swedish as it isn't marketed in Sweden. I guess it's possible to add a new language into a custom ROM but that will take quite some work and knowledge i'd think.

They don't include swedish as it isn't marketed in Sweden. I guess it's possible to add a new language into a custom ROM but that will take quite some work and knowledge i'd think.

Well that sucks. I have no idea how these things work, but you'd think android would have official language packs you could simply install. Seems like it should be an extremely straight forward thing since these language packs obviously exists in one form or another since other phones are using them. Besides, it's not like a mobile phone is a highly localized product that is unlikely to leave the immediate vicinity where it is bought etc..

Edited by fruxo

Well that sucks. I have no idea how these things work, but you'd think android would have official language packs you could simply install. Seems like it should be an extremely straight forward thing since these language packs obviously exists in one form or another since other phones are using them. Besides, it's not like a mobile phone is a highly localized product that is unlikely to leave the immediate vicinity where it is bought etc..

Using "Morelocale 2" you can get some apps to use swedish, but the system is still in English. I like the idea of downloadable language, would've been so much better!

Using "Morelocale 2" you can get some apps to use swedish, but the system is still in English. I like the idea of downloadable language, would've been so much better!

Yeah, I've done that, but there is really not much difference.

Sorry for the offtopic, but while we're at it, is it possible to manually overwrite the display name for certain apps?

I'm setting up the phone for my mum and if I could at least manually change the name under the icon of the more common apps she will be using (market, maps etc) it will go a long way. Would be a simple feature to implement, but I doubt its something they would prioritize enabling :P

EDIT just found widgetsoid2.x. Awesome app for creating widgets (incl links to apps/bookmarks etc with custom names). Best.App.Ever.

Edited by fruxo

Guest clacava

I do not understand a thing.

I have 2 MT and both are often disconnect from the wifi network.

It go up and down.

It happens only to me?

Gingerounay-2.1.1_update is installed

:(

Edited by clacava

I'm trying to install this bin which I've downloaded from Acer official website.

"OS_Acer_4.000.07.EMEA.GEN1_A23G_S120"

When it should check your internal mem to check it's over 20 MB (and I have 100 MB free) it says me that I have not enough space.

What should I do??? PLEASE HELP!

EDIT: RESOLVED.

If anyone encounters this problem:

- Use ADT (download it here)

- and download the latest bin from here(thank u vache)

Using ADT to flash the bin it does not give me any error.

I'm so sorry for this post.

Edited by MCAlex

Guest stonebear

I wonder why the Acer install tool is telling me I don't have 20mb of space in the internal memory? I did "wipe all" before trying to install.

Doesn't matter as I used ADT instead, I just don't understand.

Guest stonebear

When using custom ROMs it's often not possible for the acer installation program to work correctly.

That must be it, it has happened before but with a different error message.