Ice Cream Sandwich

Guest c3n9

Guest iKrautDroid

Dont know...

But if that were a problem i hope we could find some donors...

Im "not old enough" for a credit card or paypal so i cant help out...

But come on...

We want ICS!

Guest t0mm13b

I wonder can devs pool in their pc's to help build a community version of ICS for the blade?

Like a beowulf cluster - think of how SETI sends out chunks to those who subscribe to their program and each pc does number crunching.

Can this be done with this building, presumably buildbot is the driver behind the build of ROM images?

More friendlier - greener, and the central pc can then delegate each portion of the build process to each pc....

Or does that not exist? :unsure:

Guest Sami Beck

lol is the problem that none of our devs has a PC up to spec to build ICS?

I have 16GB and a 6 Core, But its useless and we dont have the source code yet.

Guest t0mm13b

I only have 4...

My p*n*s just shrank

(stupid joke, no offence intended)

Well, as the saying goes (in reverse) quantity not quality... of course in the land of nerds and geeks.... :rolleyes: :P

:lol:

I am wondering. How would you adapt ICS to the blade?

Is it like get any Android ICS with kernel. Then add the ZTE drivers to the kernel and compile everything? Or doesn't it work that way?

And if it does, can you re-use the drivers from Android 2.3? Or do you need drivers specific for ICS? (Like Windows XP drivers on Windows 7).

Maybe I'm just wrong all the way :P?

Guest hugobosslives

I only have 4...

My p*n*s just shrank

(stupid joke, no offence intended)

i doubt we actually need 16gb tho.....

nothing really needs that much. gamers think that buying 24GB (i.e three 8's) ram will make their framerate better. which is bollocks, you hardly notice anything. It's all about the graphics card and cpu for framerate and a solid state drive for load times.

Saying that you can notice the difference between 4 and 8 on windows but only if you do alot of multi-tasking. 4gb is fine for most "multimedia-users"

Guest t0mm13b

i doubt we actually need 16gb tho.....

nothing really needs that much. gamers think that buying 24GB (i.e three 8's) ram will make their framerate better. which is bollocks, you hardly notice anything. It's all about the graphics card and cpu for framerate and a solid state drive for load times.

Saying that you can notice the difference between 4 and 8 on windows but only if you do alot of multi-tasking. 4gb is fine for most "multimedia-users"

To tell the truth and to keep the topic focussed on build process. This is not about windows gaming etc...

It would be far more beneficial to have a powerful workhorse of a computer to spit out a compiled ROM within 30 minutes instead of twiddling your thumbs for what, 2 or 3 hours on average. This results in shorter turn-around time to speed up the testing process.

Unfortunately, it comes with a cost, the price of a machine to do the job at hand.

Personally, I would build a super workhorse machine with a spec similar such as 64bit 6 way/8 way core, 32GB RAM, and acres of disk space. The cost factor which is the deciding factor that manufacturers would be quite willing to shaft you up the backside for such a spec, on the whole, may be cheaper to build one yourself instead of getting a branded make such as HP/Acer etc to name but a few...

Quite honestly, I could not care less about Winblows as that is not an ideal environment to do the build/compile/test cycle regardless of how much RAM is installed anyway.

And no VM's under Winblows would not just cut it either...this is not about "oh yeah, have 16Gb RAM in Win7, lets install a VM..." - I'd say good luck to that as well!

:)

Guest hugobosslives

To tell the truth and to keep the topic focussed on build process. This is not about windows gaming etc...

It would be far more beneficial to have a powerful workhorse of a computer to spit out a compiled ROM within 30 minutes instead of twiddling your thumbs for what, 2 or 3 hours on average. This results in shorter turn-around time to speed up the testing process.

Unfortunately, it comes with a cost, the price of a machine to do the job at hand.

Personally, I would build a super workhorse machine with a spec similar such as 64bit 6 way/8 way core, 32GB RAM, and acres of disk space. The cost factor which is the deciding factor that manufacturers would be quite willing to shaft you up the backside for such a spec, on the whole, may be cheaper to build one yourself instead of getting a branded make such as HP/Acer etc to name but a few...

Quite honestly, I could not care less about Winblows as that is not an ideal environment to do the build/compile/test cycle regardless of how much RAM is installed anyway.

And no VM's under Winblows would not just cut it either...this is not about "oh yeah, have 16Gb RAM in Win7, lets install a VM..." - I'd say good luck to that as well!

m8 i agree. you missed what i was saying. I run linux (as well as windows) on both my laptop here at uni and my desktop at home. And no i don't use it just to compile. I'm just saying that unless you are the build bot computer there is absolutely no point in upgrading to 32B of ram.

My laptop only takes about 10 mins longer than my desktop to compile. And it has only 8gb of ram and a mobile cpu. I really don't care about the extra time.

Guest t0mm13b

m8 i agree. you missed what i was saying. I run linux (as well as windows) on both my laptop here at uni and my desktop at home. And no i don't use it just to compile. I'm just saying that unless you are the build bot computer there is absolutely no point in upgrading to 32B of ram.

My laptop only takes about 10 mins longer than my desktop to compile. And it has only 8gb of ram and a mobile cpu. I really don't care about the extra time.

Ho okie :)

That's grand then so... xD

Wonder if there's a way to split up the buildbot to get it to split up the build process into smaller portions thus utilizing each user 's cpu time?

www.developer.android.com/guide/topics/graphics/hardware-accel.html

Which number apis do we have for gingerbread??

Can just hardware acceleration be enabled on gingerbread for the UI?

Edited by l2azor

Guest targetbsp

Ubuntu in a Virtualbox needs 1.7gb to compile CM7.1, just so you know. :D 4gb of ram in the host will just about cut it if all you want to do at the same time is browse the web. But I upgraded to 6gb so I have enough ram to game whilst I wait. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Ubuntu in a Virtualbox needs 1.7gb to compile CM7.1, just so you know. :D 4gb of ram in the host will just about cut it if all you want to do at the same time is browse the web.

My Ubuntu VM to compile CM7 uses 8GB of my 16GB host RAM. This is mainly to speed up compiling, the out folder where everything goes to is mounted as dynamic ram disc and uses about 6GB when finished. But it reduces compile time tremendously.

If recent posts on the size and compile time of ICS are right, it requires a lot more power to compile ICS compared to the current Gingerbread. Better be prepared if you plan to play around with the ICS source (once it is available....)

-so long

Guest targetbsp

does it take alot longer in a vbox?

Hard to say because I've never compiled it outside of vbox for reference. I hate Linux with a passion so don't have it installed elsewhere. :D

I can't even really give a time it takes because the time it takes to compile seems to vary considerably. I assume it's smart enough to not re-compile unchanged packages?

@Jobsup: does it use that much if you give it to it? I gave it 2.something to start with (I only had 4 so couldn't give it more) and sat and watched system monitor the entire compile and the most it used was 1.7gb with no swap use. Most of the time it was only use 6-700mb!

Guest t0mm13b

yer in a nutshell gaming and using engineering sofware (for uni) is why i keep windows

does it take alot longer in a vbox?

Yes it would take a helluva lot longer inside a virtual environment (vbox). When you think about it, the host OS has management of resources and that part of managing it is getting a hammering from the vbox and in turn, the vbox translates the resource management in a way for the guest OS to be able to run "smoothly". Take disk i/o for example, the host OS is monitoring the disk and making sure to pick out the bits for the loading of files etc, meanwhile at the same time, there's this big huge vbox file which is treated as a guest OS partition etc, so the load on both the host and guest OS would be noticeable, especially if the guest OS happens to do a lot of churning out compiled object code within the huge-vbox-file-that-is-a-virtual-disk, unless the disk is as fast as f..k...

But its not smooth experience per se, unless the host OS has 16GB RAM, and the vbox has anywhere between 4-6GB RAM, the problem there is that, host OS has found its memory dipped from 16Gb to roughly 8-10Gb, may not be noticeable from the host OS user in terms of speed etc. Now, if the guest OS's memory was ramped up to say, 8Gb-10Gb, then depending on how can the host OS handle that... I'll leave this open-ended statement ..

The above may be subjective depending on how good the machine is, how much memory, how much disk space and more importantly, disk i/o speeds etc...

These are the two example scenarios, in which I say, you want Linux for a build environment, run it natively instead... and do away with Windows in this instance.

Guest targetbsp

I think you're massively overestimating how much ram things use. I've run Windows 7 x64 on 4gb of ram with no swap file since it came out. I'm a gamer and software/database developer. Reasonably demanding stuff!

People only have 16gb of ram because it's insanely cheap. Not because they need it! Take a look at performance monitor sometime. :)

Hardware virtualization in the higher end CPU's makes these VM's fly compared to the old emulated types. SSD's for the drives etc. :)

Edited by targetbsp

Guest t0mm13b

I think you're massively overestimating how much ram things use. I've run Windows 7 x64 on 4gb of ram with no swap file since it came out. I'm a gamer and software/database developer. Reasonably demanding stuff!

People only have 16gb of ram because it's insanely cheap. Not because they need it! Take a look at performance monitor sometime. :)

Hardware virtualization in the higher end CPU's makes these VM's fly compared to the old emulated types. SSD's for the drives etc. :)

Don't use Winblows :P :lol:

@Jobsup: does it use that much if you give it to it? I gave it 2.something to start with (I only had 4 so couldn't give it more) and sat and watched system monitor the entire compile and the most it used was 1.7gb with no swap use. Most of the time it was only use 6-700mb!

True, the system itself (Ubuntu 11.04 32bit in my case) only uses about 2GB during compile. But the ram disc where I keep the output directory <your cm7 source>/out grows to almost 4GB when finished. And having that ram disc reduced my compile time by about 50%. Especially during the second part of the compile job.

As for the discussion of using a VM or native installation for development... In my opinion, it just depends on your setup. Don't underestimate a Linux Virtual Machine running on a Windows host, but using a virtual raid system by splitting the required data files across multiple drives. In fact, this CAN be faster than the native system. In my case, it is only the luxury of being able to do other things while compiling in the background.

I am pretty sure ICS will require a 64bit system to compile. More CPU power will always help, as will more RAM (see ram disc above). Also the source will be much bigger (currently my CM7 VM already uses around 50GB...)

-so long

Edited by JobSup

Guest iKrautDroid

This is so off topic.

I has a single core pentium, PCI grapics card and 2gb of RAM.

Fairwell...

We are just poor kids.

Havent got much love for my laptop either.

This is so off topic.

I has a single core pentium, PCI grapics card and 2gb of RAM.

Fairwell...

Here's my laptop details:

Toshiba Satellite 4070CDS - C 366 MHz -

RAM 64 MB - HDD 4 GB - CD - Cyber 9525

- Puppy Linux - 13" DSTN 800 x 600 ( SVGA )