[Port] Ice Cream Sandwich SDK Porting to the Liquid

Guest Ma7moud

Guest Ma7moud

this is a question to all the devs here, can ICS be ported to the liquid, i saw an alpha build for the Desire Z but so far he only managed to boot it, not even the touchscreen works

well can it be done for our liquid, and what do we need to do it

ok i tried it by myself and managed to boot it and test it

(+) summary:

* it boots with huge amounts of errors

* so slow

* touch screen works through a pointer (like you are using a mouse on the phone screen, the little circle you see in the screenshots is your mouse, move it to anything you want and double click to activate, or double click and drag if you want to pull the notifications bar or to unlock the phone)

* not stable (android system ui has stopped working errors every minute or so)

(+) what works:

* screen

* touch screen

* back button (all buttons vibrate when touched but only back button works correctly)

* home button works as an up arrow blink.gif

* power button

* volume buttons

* charging and charging through USB cable

* battery level is recognized correctly

(+)what doesn't work:

*everything else laugh.gif

i hope someone can help with that, maybe we can do it

i uploaded screenshots, sorry i forgot to take a screenshot for the lockscreen with the new wallpaper tongue.gif i will do it tomorrow, now i made a nandroid restore to my MIUI rom laugh.gif

post-868543-0-55146900-1319161225_thumb.

post-868543-0-04413400-1319161254_thumb.

post-868543-0-78006600-1319161264_thumb.

post-868543-0-18608600-1319161280_thumb.

post-868543-0-87378200-1319161305_thumb.

post-868543-0-53873200-1319161327_thumb.

post-868543-0-27914600-1319161352_thumb.

post-868543-0-00270400-1319161402_thumb.

post-868543-0-43894900-1319161419_thumb.

Edited by Ma7moud

Guest Ma7moud

the cyanogen mod team work for a ics version.

(sry for my english)

the Cyanogen Mod team said they won't work on a SDK port, they will wait until the sources are available which should be near the end of this year, after the Galaxy Nexus is launched

Guest Ma7moud

i'm trying to do it by myself since no one wants to help

i made some edits in the ramdisk and used the ramdisk.img in the SDK to help me

and copied the hardware libs and vold and now i get this logcat

http://dl.dropbox.co...4/ICS_try_3.txt

i don't know what else to do or where to go from here, anything i try results in more errors

it would be really helpful if someone can take a look at it and tell me what to do

EDIT: i believe that anyone wants to port ICS to any device will need some hw libs that i never saw before in any rom for any device, not even in Honeycomb

like these ones:

audio_policy.default.so

audio.primary.goldfish.so (i think we should have one with "salsa" instead of "goldfish" for the liquid)

camera.goldfish.so (same as the above)

(EDIT 2 : i was wrong, they are renamed libraries from libs folder and put in the hw folder, but we still need compatible libraries which we still don't have)

thats what i think but i might be wrong, i'm new to all this, thats why i want someone with experience to look into it

and the ramdisk has so many changes, i had to replace the ramdisk in liquidnext 1.8 entirely and do the edits on the new one instead of editing the original ramdisk

with the original liquid ramdisk, and even if i edit it, it doesn't even try to boot, just the splash screen and no logcat

so thats all i did and all what i know, my phone needs a rest now so i will try again tomorrow

Edited by Ma7moud

Porting SDK images is always a LOL way, because binaries there are not optimized and proper drivers are missing. Just wait for the source and CM + LN will merge into ICS in no time.

Guest Ma7moud

Porting SDK images is always a LOL way, because binaries there are not optimized and proper drivers are missing. Just wait for the source and CM + LN will merge into ICS in no time.

yeah i agree it is, but some people are trying it for the Desire and Desire Z so i said why we don't try it for our phone

Guest Ma7moud

its booting now but its slow and nothing on screen except the clock and battery in the status bar

it booted but with massive amounts of errors in logtcat, can i get some help now please

EDIT: it booted well the second time, the touch screen is working but the lockscreen doesn't want to respond, but the clock on the lockscreen is working, and there is a circle of light to show where i touch the screen, like on the emulator, and it responds to the power button and charger

Edited by Ma7moud

Guest Ma7moud

here is a proof, a screenshot of the lockscreen with the circle from me touching the screen at the time of the picture

EDIT: UI responds only to multitouch on the same point, so if i want to click on an icon i have to do it with both fingers tongue.gif

unlocked the phone and took another picture

post-868543-0-62968100-1319153269_thumb.

post-868543-0-44118500-1319154944_thumb.

post-868543-0-89529800-1319155287_thumb.

Edited by Ma7moud

Guest Ma7moud

i've been working on it^_^

well you need to edit 2 lines in the init.rc to make it boot, and i think we need Thepasto here, he is the only one i know who can make it better, i'm close to giving up, if i edit just one line in any file it doesn't boot at all

i couldn't even change the DPI in build.prop

EDIT: use the attached boot.img

its the LiquidNext 1.8 boot.img after editing the 2 lines to make ICS boot

it will show the liquidnext splash screen for a while then a black screen, if you wait a minute or two you should get the lock screen, then read the first post to see how to unlock the phone

i believe the rom still thinks its working in the emulator so no hardware acceleration for anything and the UI is really slow and laggy, be patient with it

boot.img

Edited by Ma7moud

well you need to edit 2 lines in the init.rc to make it boot, and i think we need Thepasto here, he is the only one i know who can make it better, i'm close to giving up, if i edit just one line in any file it doesn't boot at all

i couldn't even change the DPI in build.prop

EDIT: use the attached boot.img

its the LiquidNext 1.8 boot.img after editing the 2 lines to make ICS boot

it will show the liquidnext splash screen for a while then a black screen, if you wait a minute or two you should get the lock screen, then read the first post to see how to unlock the phone

i believe the rom still thinks its working in the emulator so no hardware acceleration for anything and the UI is really slow and laggy, be patient with it

I think running Acer Liquid E with ICS will be no problem at all. I saw a Video, that the first Nexus (1ghz processor and 512mb Ram) have no problems.

So our Liquid isn't to old =)

I'm proud of you guys. ;-)

Guest Ma7moud

I think running Acer Liquid E with ICS will be no problem at all. I saw a Video, that the first Nexus (1ghz processor and 512mb Ram) have no problems.

So our Liquid isn't to old =)

I'm proud of you guys. ;-)

yeah the Nexus One is very similar to the Liquid in hardware, and i'm sure we will get a Cyanogen Mod 9 port later, but i was trying to make it work now, maybe get a taste of what is ICS like, but too bad i didn't get any help here, the Nexus One and the Liquid and Liquid metal are the only phones with working touchscreen on ICS so far (that can change any moment but right now its true) if we had worked together with the big devs then that might have been out Liquid being the first one to get it, i'm new to this and i don't know much, Google was my only guide, and i'm happy with how far i got, its up to the experienced developers here to see if they can improve it, i won't give up now but i expected some help from the people here, and without some help from a kernel dev i don't think i can do much more

Guest AcerFerrari

I do this port according to the 3 reference books and they tells me how to get the HTC Sense port on Nexus One

Since Nexus One has similar hardware to our liquid,

I think it's gonna work

But for the ICS

I think i needa do a lot of work 'coz the books didn't teach me how to port ICS...

Faceing a huge amount of numbers/errors, i don't know what to do...