[Port] Ice Cream Sandwich SDK Porting to the Liquid

Guest Ma7moud

Guest Dario93

If system partition isn't big enough,you can always store all system apps on /data partition through a symlink in update script :) Like it was done on sense roms,for example :)

P.s. @ma7moud: Thank you for the info ^_^

Guest Ma7moud

We need to actviate Swap to make ICS available

no we would need to move some of the apps to the data partition to make the system folder smaller for our small ROM size

Guest Ma7moud

If system partition isn't big enough,you can always store all system apps on /data partition through a symlink in update script :) Like it was done on sense roms,for example :)

P.s. @ma7moud: Thank you for the info ^_^

i think Google is just making an excuse so they don't update the Nexus One, if they keep updating it then people won't buy newer phones tongue.gif

Guest TheShak

i think Google is just making an excuse so they don't update the Nexus One, if they keep updating it then people won't buy newer phones tongue.gif

ain't that the truth brother!

Guest Ma7moud

Am I blind or did you not post a downloadlink?

It would be fun to test it.

you can use the rom from this post

download ICS .zip for malez: http://www.multiupload.com/AY4LS4SCKY

but replace the boot.img file inside it with the one from this post

well you need to edit 2 lines in the init.rc to make it boot, and i think we need Thepasto here, he is the only one i know who can make it better, i'm close to giving up, if i edit just one line in any file it doesn't boot at all

i couldn't even change the DPI in build.prop

EDIT: use the attached boot.img

its the LiquidNext 1.8 boot.img after editing the 2 lines to make ICS boot

it will show the liquidnext splash screen for a while then a black screen, if you wait a minute or two you should get the lock screen, then read the first post to see how to unlock the phone

i believe the rom still thinks its working in the emulator so no hardware acceleration for anything and the UI is really slow and laggy, be patient with it

have fun with it, but its SUPER slow so you have to be patient with it tongue.gif

I think we should wait ICS source code/CM9 before any ports. Sources should be available in few weeks. SDK ports will not ever be very good, so just patience guys.

Apparently, ICS Source Code will be made available to the public on 17th, so developers will then be able to start working on ICS for devices. I just hope that it will run well on the ageing Liquid hardware. With Android 1.6, the liquid was blazing fast but 256MB RAM is pushing the phones limits on Gingerbread.

Guest parvata

Since the source is now available we should all request acer to release and ICS version of the ROM. I have already asked a question from their support section at acer.com. If they are convinced enough we may also get the kernel source corresponding to the ICS ROM ;) . This way the custom ROM developer's do not need to make any hacks or reverse engineer the custom code in the kernel. Cheers!

Here it is =)

http://source.androi...ownloading.html

go go devs :P

Since the source is now available we should all request acer to release and ICS version of the ROM. I have already asked a question from their support section at acer.com. If they are convinced enough we may also get the kernel source corresponding to the ICS ROM ;) . This way the custom ROM developer's do not need to make any hacks or reverse engineer the custom code in the kernel. Cheers!

We haven't even got official Gingerbread...

Edited by uapo7

Guest Ma7moud

well yes the sources are available, but from what i found on XDA you need a really powerful PC to build it (a dev on XDA said it would take 7 days on a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz processor with 512 MB ramohmy.gif) i remember reading on the android sources site that you need 16GB ram and 30GB of free disk space to build it in a few hours (WTFblink.gif!!!) and the source is really big, at least too big for my slow internet tongue.gif

so i'm waiting for someone more experienced (and with a better PC lol) to do it if it will be done for the Liquid

and i really don't think Acer will be releasing ICS for the Liquid or the Liquid MT sad.gif

Guest parvata

We haven't even got official Gingerbread...

I think all of us Liquid users were fortunate to have gingerbread working without the official sources. But it works because Eclair, Froyo and gingerbread have similar linux kernels. But with ICS it is a different story. I believe it uses 3.0 version and the android APIs have changed. Not sure if liquid custom ROM devs can get all the peripherals/sensors working. But nothing is impossible by the liquid custom ROM developers right!?!

Guest Ma7moud

I think all of us Liquid users were fortunate to have gingerbread working without the official sources. But it works because Eclair, Froyo and gingerbread have similar linux kernels. But with ICS it is a different story. I believe it uses 3.0 version and the android APIs have changed. Not sure if liquid custom ROM devs can get all the peripherals/sensors working. But nothing is impossible by the liquid custom ROM developers right!?!

well i think ICS just killed the Liquid Community, the only option now is to wait for CyanogenMod 9 (at least 2 months from now) for the Nexus One or any device with similar hardware to the Liquid and then port it

Guest koudelka

well yes the sources are available, but from what i found on XDA you need a really powerful PC to build it (a dev on XDA said it would take 7 days on a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz processor with 512 MB ramohmy.gif)

well with 512 ram it would probably take a long time to compile gingerbread sources also :P

well i think ICS just killed the Liquid Community, the only option now is to wait for CyanogenMod 9 (at least 2 months from now) for the Nexus One or any device with similar hardware to the Liquid and then port it

yes I agree this would be our best chance.

Guest Ma7moud

well with 512 ram it would probably take a long time to compile gingerbread sources also :P

yeah but not 7 days, thats too much, also the sources are big, so unless i can find a way to make it NOT download the samsung device trees then i'm not downloading itdry.gif