Official Gary Crutcher's ROM Discussion Thread

Guest Lancez

this is an official ROM discussion and FAQ thread for Gary Crutcher's ROMs. ask any questions here.

a little tutorial for flashing, rooting, customization, etc.

1. flashing, rooting and where to get latest official (semi official) ROMs (thanks to intratech and chainfire @xda for their dedication)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

2. some links for custom kernels Speedmod kernel by hardcore, Siyah unified kernel by gokhanmoral, these are the most stable kernels that i know of, speedmod is my fav.

3. some tools you need to play with CWM flashable zips, you can simply place your apks, ringtones and even kernels, modems into zip file or delete the files/apks that you don't need before you flash.

WinRAR it's what i use to modify flashable zips before flashing, it is a very handy tool. as simple as drag & drop.

7-zip it's also a very handy tool, simular to winrar. and it is the only tool that you can extract offcial ROMs made by intratech @xda

Samsung CDMA driver 64 bit (USB driver), it is for windows 64bit version and works on windows 7 very well as i'm using it almost everyday. download here

Odin 1.85, for flashing official ROM, it can only flash files in .tar format, if you are on windows 7 64bit, don't forget to run it as administrator (right click your mouse and click on "run as administrator), other wise it may not work properly. download here

4. how to make your own battery % over UOT kitchen:

it's actually as simple as 123 as long as you know what to do, please follow below steps.

1) download your prefered ROM zip file

2) open the zip file by using WinRAR

3) open system/ app and find systemUI.apk, drag it out to desktop

4) open system/ framwork and find framwork-res.apk, drag it out to desktop

5) go to UOT kitchen here and select battery

6) choose what ever the style you want then click generate preview for your pleasure

7) click file upload then select system file

8) you only need to upload framwork-res.apk and systemUI.apk, browse your files then upload

9) click summary then click submit work to kitchen

10) remember your pickup ID or just stay online and wait

11) after you downloaded the file, put it on the root of SDcard then reboot your phone to recovery and flash (it is recommanded to wipe dalvik and cache before flashing)

Guest zenkinz

this is an official ROM discussion and FAQ thread for Gary Crutcher's ROMs. ask any questions here.

i will unify all gary's ROM threads into one single thread later on.

Where can I find Gary's rom? Is it stock looking (important for me)

Guest Cibeles

Hi,

Do you have plans to include SIP calls on this ROM? Samsung has removed this functionality from Android 2.3.4+ and it is pretty useful.

Also, I'm wondering if there are any dates on when the Gtalk AV patch will be released for this ROM, I quite use it, but I DO love this ROM.

One last question, do you know, by any chance, where can I get the KJ2 kernel (zipped) to update the ROM and get rid of the yellow triangle?

Thanks for your time!

Amaya

Guest Gary Crutcher

Here are links to the stock XWKJ2 kernel for ODIN flashing to remove the yellow triangle as well as Siyah's v2.1.1 kernel for CWM flashing to restore the kernel to what I posted in the ROM:

1. Stock XWKJ2 ROM: Stock Kernel

2. Siyah v2.1.1 Kernel: Siyah Kernel

In the future, all stock ODIN flashable kernels are located here:

ODIN flashable kernels

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest Gary Crutcher

Hi,

Do you have plans to include SIP calls on this ROM? Samsung has removed this functionality from Android 2.3.4+ and it is pretty useful.

Also, I'm wondering if there are any dates on when the Gtalk AV patch will be released for this ROM, I quite use it, but I DO love this ROM.

One last question, do you know, by any chance, where can I get the KJ2 kernel (zipped) to update the ROM and get rid of the yellow triangle?

Thanks for your time!

Amaya

Thanks for your comments.

See post #4 for ODIN flashable kernel for XWKJ2

I am working on the Gtalk AV patch and will try to post it today.

Guest Gary Crutcher

SIP for Galaxy S2

I have checked out a few threads at xda-developers.com about getting SIP to work on the Galaxy S2 and the general

consensus is to use CSipSimple.apk. The current method posted at How To Add Native SIP seems to have some mic problems. Some users have suggested using CSIPSimple. Therefore, I have included it below for users to test.

Attached is CSipSimple, an apk for SIP on the Galaxy S2.

Problems? Check this out: CSipSimple Wiki

CSipSimple: CSipSimple-0.02-03.zip

Guest Cibeles

Good morning, Gary!!

Thanks for your job, it is simply awesome!

Here I post my test results:

1. Gtalk AV seems to work fine, but will post more later

2. CSIP does not install (I've used install zip from card, maybe I'm doing something wrong)

3. Flashed stock kernel with Odin to get rid of the triangle and it works fine

4. Tried to install Siyah's kernel to get all your upgrades back (that is what I've understood from the post, but I may got it wrong) and CMW says file signature is invalid

5. Also tried Blue theme posted by some other person in the post and also get "file signature is incorrect"

Thanks again for all.

Amaya

Guest Gary Crutcher

Good morning, Gary!!

Thanks for your job, it is simply awesome!

Here I post my test results:

1. Gtalk AV seems to work fine, but will post more later

2. CSIP does not install (I've used install zip from card, maybe I'm doing something wrong)

3. Flashed stock kernel with Odin to get rid of the triangle and it works fine

4. Tried to install Siyah's kernel to get all your upgrades back (that is what I've understood from the post, but I may got it wrong) and CMW says file signature is invalid

5. Also tried Blue theme posted by some other person in the post and also get "file signature is incorrect"

Thanks again for all.

Amaya

Hi.

Okay, here are my replies:

1. Good to hear it's working

2. CSIP is an apk file. Unzip it, copy to your sdcard, then install it from your sdcard.

3. Good!

4. In CWM, you have to select 'Install zip from sdcard', NOT 'apply update from sdcard'.

5. Again, same as #4.

Hope this helps.

Guest Cibeles

Hi Gary!

I'm posting also here my tests, as I reckon this is the right place (sorry for posting in the other thread).

Finally I could do a proper test with the Gtalk AV (been off battery all day long). Here are my test results:

1. If I call someone, it all works fine

2. If someone calls me, I don't even get the incoming call message, and the call gets cancelled, in the starting conversation window (the other user) you can see "Cibeles (me) cancelled call" after 2-3 secs, not even a chance to do anything else.

Hope this help

Guest Scott9824

Gary, thanks very much for your hard work, I've just flashed your ROM and restored everything and it's working great. One thing to note is I initially factory restored from within settings and the phone got stuck on the Samsung screen (with yellow triangle) on rebooting. I got it fixed by flashing another kernel through odin.

Is it possible to have battery % instead of icon in this ROM? That's the only feature I'm missing

Thanks

Scott

Guest Gary Crutcher

since people are requesting battery % for Gary's KJ2, i just quickly made one by uot kitchen. it's JazzK style, my fav one. see screenshot below.

post-422854-0-27744700-1320620544_thumb.

Thanks Lance.

The only reason I do not add things like that to the ROM is because everyone has different preferences about how they want the ROM customized.

Thanks Lance.

The only reason I do not add things like that to the ROM is because everyone has different preferences about how they want the ROM customized.

i totally understand and it is very easy to make battery % by UOT kitchen, i'll put up a tutorial in 1st post later on

Guest Cibeles

Hi Gary,

I'm experiencing a weird issue when connecting USB...

Before I was running modaco Gr5 android 2.3.4 and when I connected my USB I could read messages like "conecting USB" and "USB connected" then I pulled down notification bar and tapped on "USB connected" and got the screen with the green android and could tap on button "Connect USB storage".

Now I get something like "Connecting MTP" and "MTP connected" when I tap there, I get nothing, then I need to go to Settings, Wireless connections, USB and then connect USB storage.

When I flash my device with your ROM I double erase every cache (double check on Davlik) and it all works ok, but I get this issue...

For the record, I'm using Fedora 14 on my laptop.

I'm attaching an screenshot from my mobile when connecting USB.

Best,

Amaya

post-931773-0-45423800-1320669095_thumb.

Edited by Cibeles

Guest Gary Crutcher

Hi Gary,

I'm experiencing a weird issue when connecting USB...

Before I was running modaco Gr5 android 2.3.4 and when I connected my USB I could read messages like "conecting USB" and "USB connected" then I pulled down notification bar and tapped on "USB connected" and got the screen with the green android and could tap on button "Connect USB storage".

Now I get something like "Connecting MTP" and "MTP connected" when I tap there, I get nothing, then I need to go to Settings, Wireless connections, USB and then connect USB storage.

When I flash my device with your ROM I double erase every cache (double check on Davlik) and it all works ok, but I get this issue...

For the record, I'm using Fedora 14 on my laptop.

Best,

Amaya

Just tried this and all works ok - am using Windows 7.

I have Ubuntu installed, but cannot switch to it now as I am working on XWJK3 release.

Will try under Ubuntu after I release my next ROM.

Guest Cibeles

Also tried Win7 and happens the same, will also use your new ROM when you've got it, will that include Gtalk AV too?

I've modified last post to include an screenshot.

Same thing on with my iMac...

When I flash your ROM I wipe all caches twice and then flash, nothing else, am I missing something important? Funny cause this is the only weird issue I'm experiencing...

Sorry to bother with this, but it was a very useful tweak to be able to connect / disconnect from the notification bar, no need to go to settings menu.

Also adding an screenshot from the moment it gets connected.

For the record, when I plug it (on my Fedora) my laptop sees the mobile, actually 3 items as a Samsung device, and thows an error stating that my OS is unable to lock the device. When you explore the folders in Linux, you see all of them empty. You've got to go to settings --> wireless connections --> USB --> connect USB storage to actually see only 2 devices (sd internal and external) as mass storage devices and when you can actually use it.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks in advance for all your time and help.

Best,

Amaya

post-931773-0-59332500-1320670121_thumb.

Edited by Cibeles

Guest Gary Crutcher

Also tried Win7 and happens the same, will also use your new ROM when you've got it, will that include Gtalk AV too?

I've modified last post to include an screenshot.

Same thing on with my iMac...

When I flash your ROM I wipe all caches twice and then flash, nothing else, am I missing something important? Funny cause this is the only weird issue I'm experiencing...

Sorry to bother with this, but it was a very useful tweak to be able to connect / disconnect from the notification bar, no need to go to settings menu.

Also adding an screenshot from the moment it gets connected.

For the record, when I plug it (on my Fedora) my laptop sees the mobile, actually 3 items as a Samsung device, and thows an error stating that my OS is unable to lock the device. When you explore the folders in Linux, you see all of them empty. You've got to go to settings --> wireless connections --> USB --> connect USB storage to actually see only 2 devices (sd internal and external) as mass storage devices and when you can actually use it.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks in advance for all your time and help.

Best,

Amaya

OK...just tried on my netbook which is running Ubuntu and I still get USB Connected with a Connect USB Storage button. Everything works ok on my end. No one else has mentioned this. Will look into it when I have some more time.

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest Cibeles

I'm gonna flash it again, will wipe everything and do back up only of my apps and no sys data.

In the meantime, I'm posting here snapshots form:

1. When connecting the device and not going to USB mass storage connection, that is, what my Fedora sees when I plug it, doing nothing on my Android

2. When I chose to connect it going to settings --> wireless connections --> USB --> mass storage

post-931773-0-30696100-1320671697_thumb.

post-931773-0-44307600-1320671703_thumb.

Guest Cibeles

Well this is working now, I'm telling you what I've done:

After many flashes, wipes before and after flashing, as I was tired, one of the times, when prompted to set up google account (just when mobile boots for the first time) I've skipped it and with no account configured, I plugged my USB and it all worked.

Done this again, but configuring the account (then it says maintain your device backed up with google) and I did it, when finished, I even got my wallpaper back as well as the MTP thing.

So, I did it again skipping the google account thing. It all worked back. So I've configured my account after my mobile has booted up, by using Settings --> accounts (then you're not prompted to back up your data from google) and it is working now... weird.

However, Gtalk AV continues to show the same behaviour.

Hope this helps.

actully, if you connect your phone to computer without going into setting > wireless and network > USB utilities > connect storage to PC, you'll always get this MTP thing. because there is a files called MtpApplication.apk in system/app folder. if you prefer not to use it, you can simply delete it then reboot. then next time when you connect your phone to computer, it won't happen again. i guess Gr5 has already deleted this file in the ROM.