I'm puzzled.....

Guest Thermostat9

Guest Thermostat9

I bought a microSD card (for another device) and since it came with a card reader I thought I'd see if it were quicker to backup the contents of the phone's card over using that directly and while doing that had a fiddle with the new card in the phone. (I thought I'd see if it recognised it!)

But I couldn't do anything useful as it had lost all the stuff I keep on the card. (I kinda expected that) Having copied (not moved!) the phone card (it was no quicker!) I put it back in and have the same screen, default wallpaper, most of the apps missing!

Doh!! What have I done? Is there a way to get the 'old' phone back? Or do I have to reinstall everything..... :angry:

This is a bit of a pain, had I done anything silly I'd have expected a bit of a hassle, but this is peculiar. The contents of the card are still identical to what is on the backup. I have not deleted anything, just copied it. All I did was boot the phone with a blank card in (it did write some folders to it but I deleted them when I put the card back in the camera) the original was taken out, copied and replaced.

What can I do? Can anyone help?

Guest Thermostat9

did you use sd-ext partition?

I don't know what that means, so I guess not.

The original card is back in the phone, I've not changed anything about it. Took it out to backup, played with the new card in the phone and reinserted the original.

It looks like I've not got a card recognised in the phone, but it can still be read on the card when plugged into the computer.....? Does that make sense?

I had a similar experience recently. I bought a 8GB microsd with the intention of creating an SD-ext partition as my internal memory was getting full. I backed up my old sd card first and then partitioned the new card using CWM. I then transferred the contents of the old card on to the new card and booted the phone, but although like you, I got the original wallpaper and some apps, others had disappeared and I was geting force closes.

I thought I must have done something wrong, so I put my old card back in, only to find similar problems.

In the end I wiped and reflashed the ROM and set up the phone with the new card installed.

I put my error down to using Force2sd to move some of my apps over, but that didn't explain why my old card would not work.

My phone is working fine now with the new card and the SD-ext partition has resolved my internal memory problem, I just have to put it down to experience.

Guest Thermostat9

I had a similar experience recently. I bought a 8GB microsd with the intention of creating an SD-ext partition as my internal memory was getting full. I backed up my old sd card first and then partitioned the new card using CWM. I then transferred the contents of the old card on to the new card and booted the phone, but although like you, I got the original wallpaper and some apps, others had disappeared and I was geting force closes.

I thought I must have done something wrong, so I put my old card back in, only to find similar problems.

That sounds rather similar doesn't it?

In the end I wiped and reflashed the ROM and set up the phone with the new card installed.

I put my error down to using Force2sd to move some of my apps over, but that didn't explain why my old card would not work.

My phone is working fine now with the new card and the SD-ext partition has resolved my internal memory problem, I just have to put it down to experience.

What's really annoying is the 'backups' I have been making, by copying the contents of the SD card dutifully from time to time, would clearly be useless if I needed to reinstate anything!

Not that impressed as it goes. Thanks for sharing though, at least I'm not on my own, but reinstalling all that lot is not something I'm looking forward to.....:angry:

Does anyone know what this cryptic comment was supposed to tell me?

It's what I was attempting to do. It's a way of making extra space to store apps when your phone's internal memory is no longer enough. You create a partition called SD-ext using Clockwork (or a partition program) and providing you have a ROM that supports A2SD, when you install apps, they are stored on this partition but your phone "thinks" they are stored in the internal memory. Check out this link, the part that starts A A2SD vs. App2SD/MOVE2SD: As I said, this now works well after I reinstalled the ROM. I think you were asked this as it could explain why you couldn't see the apps on the old memory card, as this partition isn't always backed up using the usual method.

Edited by Thar

Guest Thermostat9

It's what I was attempting to do. It's a way of making extra space to store apps when your phone's internal memory is no longer enough. You create a partition called SD-ext using Clockwork (or a partition program) and providing you have a ROM that supports A2SD, when you install apps, they are stored on this partition but your phone "thinks" they are stored in the internal memory.

Ah! The answer to that is probably 'yes' then.

I used the move to SD option under settings and I can see the apps on the card, if I look at Settings, Applications, Manage Applications,'All' they are listed there albeit greyed out.

Check out this link, the part that starts A A2SD vs. App2SD/MOVE2SD: As I said, this now works well after I reinstalled the ROM. I think you were asked this as it could explain why you couldn't see the apps on the old memory card, as this partition isn't always backed up using the usual method.

Thanks for the link, I guess the

Caution! If you do this, most of the apps or even the whole system won't work if the whole SD card is ejected / unmounted!
might explain what has happened!

No way to get it all back? Damn, reinstalling all that is going to be a pain in the butt.

What I'd like is a to understand where this stuff has 'gone' and why can't it be recovered? Also, if I am to do a complete reinstall, what it the most sensible method of formatting/setting-up the phone so that a problem like this does not happen again. And a backup is actually a backup!

Guest jonmac73

would be interested in answers to above also ........... as was going to do EXT partition on next ROM install.

Currently I am slightly limited on space but when I CWM backup / Ti Backup I know I can get back to same start point easily.

Or does Ti backup this EXT also.

Maybe there is a way to get the apps/files back but I was impatient and did it the long way round.

I'm sure I read that the sd-ext can be backed up but I'm on my phone at work right now so can't search.

Guest hugobosslives

Does anyone know what this cryptic comment was supposed to tell me?

mate. it wasn't cryptic.

i was wondering if you'd moved your apps to the sdcard. as this would explain your problem......

Guest Thermostat9

Maybe there is a way to get the apps/files back but I was impatient and did it the long way round.

There may well be but I don't think there is going to be much help here though.

Guest Thermostat9

mate. it wasn't cryptic.

i was wondering if you'd moved your apps to the sdcard. as this would explain your problem......

Thanks anyway, I presume you think you are being helpful but if you are where I am and don't know what 'did you use sd-ext partition?' means, it really is cryptic.

Telling me (us) how it would 'explain' the problem might be useful, telling us how to resolve it would be even more useful! ;)

I still don't know anymore about getting apps/files back, but have successfully backed up my phone, including sd-ext using Clockwork, so hopefully I won't get in a mess like this again!

Guest hugobosslives

Thanks anyway, I presume you think you are being helpful but if you are where I am and don't know what 'did you use sd-ext partition?' means, it really is cryptic.

Telling me (us) how it would 'explain' the problem might be useful, telling us how to resolve it would be even more useful! ;)

well there was no point in me explaining how to remount your sd-ext partition or try to recover "deleted" files off it if you don't have one...... wink.gif

Guest Thermostat9

I still don't know anymore about getting apps/files back, but have successfully backed up my phone, including sd-ext using Clockwork, so hopefully I won't get in a mess like this again!

Try it. I had an old Clockwork backup. That wouldn't restore. :angry:

Spare time yesterday was spent reinstalling Monfro and reinstalling all the apps from the Market which is painfully slow. Is there a version of what iTunes does for the iPhone for Android - backup the lot remotely (not on the internal card) and reinstall when necessary?

Edited by Thermostat9

Guest Thermostat9

well there was no point in me explaining how to remount your sd-ext partition or try to recover "deleted" files off it if you don't have one...... wink.gif

Clearly asking for help from people who think they know it all is pointless.

I wouldn't expect an old backup to restore as the ext-sd wouldn't exist then, but I can't see why a new one done following the partitioning wouldn't :? I'll try it out if I get time.

Guest Thermostat9

I wouldn't expect an old backup to restore as the ext-sd wouldn't exist then, but I can't see why a new one done following the partitioning wouldn't :? I'll try it out if I get time.

The backup was made around the end of July. I have no idea if 'ext-sd' existed then or not (but I think it must have).

Anyway that is history now, I want to find a secure way to back this device up, with all its settings and apps so that some (or all) of it can easily be reinstalled in the future! My wife has no problems with her iPhone/iPod touch apps. Why is it so complicated for Android?

The backup was made around the end of July. I have no idea if 'ext-sd' existed then or not (but I think it must have).

Anyway that is history now, I want to find a secure way to back this device up, with all its settings and apps so that some (or all) of it can easily be reinstalled in the future! My wife has no problems with her iPhone/iPod touch apps. Why is it so complicated for Android?

Just to confirm whether it would work or not, I just did a further (nandroid) backup of my phone. I then restored it using the same backup and it restored without a problem, sd-ext and everything as it was before. I would guess that sd-ext didn't in fact exist on the backup you tried to restore.