[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest beavis77

Hi Guys,

I have successfully flashed my TMV, but I did mess up the qcn backup part.. I only saved it AFTER the unlock was done.

Later, I changed the WIFI MAC address and restored the fixed qcn file I had saved earlier.

Now I have the impression that the phone signal strength is worse than before. Is that possible?

Does anyone know what other important data is stored in the qcn file?

Thanks!

Guest Reider59

Ah well stuck with this ROM then for now. But they worked with the stock so I don't see why they don't work anymore.

Edit ... progress ... found an app called ezboot on the market place ... lets you boot into bootloader ... and fastboot was working .... phew! one day gone

Thanks again for the assistance ... I've taken quite a bit of this thread :(

This is an interesting post from Amphoras too and most likely going to be well received;

http://android.modac...flash-recovery/

Alternative way to flash recovery to the phone without ADB, permanent and doesn`t affect the present ROM or kernel. Nor does it need one of the special ROMS with 2,15 or 40mb cache. Woo hoo, jackpot for those having Restore problems! What a way to start the 1st of January. Looks like an in road is being made into Overclocking in another thread too. smile.gifsmile.gif

http://android.modaco.com/topic/348964-kernel-source-for-crescent/page__st__40

Start on page 3, post #50 for conversation on the OC. I say leave it a bit and let it be substantiated and checked out by some of the more knowledgeable users, that`s what I`m doing.

Hope you get everything how you want it and don`t worry about the amount of posts, just need to get it sorted and working properly.

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Guest ninjaflump

Hj guys tried doing TMV unlock as a present for my niece but cant do it either on Win 7 or linux,anyone near east london fancy doing it for me..................GOT IT DONE

Edited by ninjaflump

Guest Reider59

IN ORDER OF PLAY:

*** DID YOURECORD YOUR MAC NUMBER AND ANY OTHER DETAILS BEFORE YOU STARTED? ***

Did you install QPST version 2.7?

Is USB debugging turned on (settings>>>applications>>>development)?

Did you install the driver on the PC?

Did you turn off the phone, remove the battery, press and hold the down VOL button and replace the battery, press Power On while continuing to hold VOL down, until you see FTM on the phone screen?

Did you only insert the USB cable AFTER the driver was installed and at this point in the order of play with FTM on the screen?

After clicking Ports and Add Ports can you see the correct USB Port number in QPST and does it show the phone as a 1 when the correct port number is selected?

If all of these work out then its ready to make a QCN backup and then download the unlock to the phone.

Next, restore the QCN backup you made

IF any point failed then you simply need to get that bit working and go through all of this logically. Think of it like a series of wires, only when all are connected in the right order does the power flow from start to finish. If any point has a break then the end result is no power flow to the end part, where its needed most. Questions like does the driver work? Did I miss a step? Do it in the right order? The secret is read read read until you understand the logical flow/order of doing things and what you have to do. Or do you consider its a Win7 only problem? If so then I`ll test on my Win7 laptop, because Vista 32 bit works. Is it a 64 bit problem with the drivers? Don`t give up, theirs always a way to do things. Its just finding at what point the whole process stops and why.

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Question for Bouncer5 or anyone that knows...

Why in the instructions does it say: "Connect your phone to your computer and make sure you have USB Debugging turned on. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)"

I can see the reasoning behind that if using the ADB method, but surely the process that starts with putting the phone into FTM mode bypasses the operating system and this setting within it?

Thanks ;)

Edited by fr0do

Guest arvind16982

Thanks Arvind for the guide. Iwas able to unlock and de-brand the Vivacity without any Issues. Just one question though - how do I get the data connectivity widget on the home screen (the one with Bluetooth, Wireless, Data Connection, Refresh icons) that Android phones come with anyway? I debranded an Orange San Fran last year, but this widget did not disappear then.

Thanks.

I am not sure mate. I infact didnt notice this and I unfortunately do not have either of the 2 TMVs that I unlocked to ascertain this. May be someone else in this forum could advise a work around. May be the Mods could help

Guest arvind16982

Hi. I've been nervously following the guides here in order to unlock my new Vivacity,,, but have come to a halt, with a few queries.

In following Arvind's walkthrough tutorial, I notice that the link in it to the 'Unlock_VIVACITY' zip file, actually takes me to one named Unlock_OSF2. However, if I follow Bouncer5's link to the unock vivacity file in his original guide, it takes me to a zip file named 'Unlock_VIVACITY',

I'm guessing that this may be an error in Arvind's guide... but it could easily be me misunderstaning the process, as I am pretty new to this?? Obviously I don't want to flash the wrong file and brick my phone!

In Arvind's guide, I got as far as downloading the 'Unlock_VIVACITY' zip file (I used Bouncer5's link)..... and I ran the download .exe file. Instead of seeing the page with a 'START' button and green 'READY' status unerneath.... I had a page with a 'START' button (but it was inactive and greyed out), with a blue 'OPEN' status underneath.

It was at this point I bottled it... :) ....... and stopped the process,,, as I'm clearly not quite on the right track!

I would appreciate any advice before I try again from any of the fine people on here. I have unlocked, rooted etc before on an OSF1 some time ago.... but this seems more difficult... or perhaps I'm just getting old....

Thanks.

Mate, I just checked the link in my guide and for some reason the link points to OSF2 instead of TMV zip file. I dont know why. May be the mod could answer.

I have had many users in the past successfully use my guide without any issues and unlock their TMVs but I would suggest against using my guide anymore. I can fix and upload a new doc but it is pointless if the external link is going to change again. I would let the mod take the call.

Edited by arvind16982

Arvind 16982 said:

“Mate, I just checked the link in my guide and for some reason the link points to OSF2 instead of TMV zip file. I dont know why. May be the mod could answer.

I have had many users in the past successfully use my guide without any issues and unlock their TMVs but I would suggest against using my guide anymore. I can fix and upload a new doc but it is pointless if the external link is going to change again. I would let the mod take the call”………………Arvind 16982

VS5

I have just unlocked my TMV and am a complete newbie. I used Arvind’s guide, but all the files downloaded were from page1 of this thread (Bouncer5).

Combining the two sets of instructions, seemed to work for me. So I would still say use the guide, and substitute the download links with Bouncer5.

I managed to get FTM without taking the battery out but would have done so, if necessary. Later at the Reboot Recovery stage 3z on Arvind’s guide I trusted that the blue screen buttons would not work. Took the battery out and reinserted. Up came the Clockwork screen and I was able to install both the Crescent r2 zip and vivacity kernal zip before reboot (stored in root not folder) to the phone.

Phone is unlocked and have tried a couple of sims, the carrier found automatically by the phone in settings. I did not need to use the “Allow Phone/File ESN mismatch”. I used a card reader for the sd micro card and dragged the files to it . At 3m in Arvind’s guide, I had problems with the file, due to forgetting where or what I had saved !!!(DEADD00D_qcn file). I reran this and held my breath!

Problems? I don’t seem to get any sound alert when receving a text. Any suggestions?

Also my Wifi seems to show but does not light up green on my phone.

Even when stood next to wifi laptop. This could be a carrier issue, it worked fine on T-mobile but it could be my Vodafone sim? To complicate things, my laptop is set up using a dongle with no landline or wired connection (on Three .co.uk) and signal is variable.

My mac address shows as different from original, so I will have a look.

All in all, a great forum with loads of support, could not have begun to attempt this without your help.

Special thanks to Bouncer5, Flibblesan, Seb04, Arvind 16982, and all the other newbies who seemed to ask all the questions I was just about to ask.

If anyone can help with my queries, please do.

Happy New Year

Best Regards

VS5

Some networks don't6 allow tethering, and I don't know much about it tbh. Can you try wifi somewhere with conventional access like McD's to see if Wifi works. Then you can narrow down the problem.

Some networks don't6 allow tethering, and I don't know much about it tbh. Can you try wifi somewhere with conventional access like McD's to see if Wifi works. Then you can narrow down the problem.

Good idea, will give it a go. Live in a patchy broadband area. Not all the carriers can provide a good reception. I had my mac address hidden on the laptop so I unchecked the box. Can see the white symbol but no green signal strengh. I think it may be like you say, just crap reception. Phones on most networks are same so it seems to point that way. Will report back!

VS5

As a Newbie, I also would like to thank all those who have contributed to this thread, especially those who have contributed to the HOW TO and in particular Bouncer5, Seb404, the author of ZTECrescent blogspot (hope I am allowed to include him), and especially arvind16982 for their time, knowledge and patience. This is my first experience of Android phones and after hours and hours of reading I now have an unlocked unbranded OSF II. It took far less time than I thought and went far more smoothly than I could imagine but it was still nerve racking. There were two glitches; QPST was not happy about me saving the backup data in a file of my own choice, it saved it in its own bin file, and I have had to reload the few apps I had downloaded. I took the initiative of loading the key zip files onto their own SD card, replacing the one that I had loaded the apps on before I started. I also had a white signal for Wifi with one provider but it was working on my home network or I wouldn't have had the annoying news updates. How do I get rid of that? Keep up the good work.

Guest JCPren

Ah well stuck with this ROM then for now. But they worked with the stock so I don't see why they don't work anymore.

Edit ... progress ... found an app called ezboot on the market place ... lets you boot into bootloader ... and fastboot was working .... phew! one day gone

Thanks again for the assistance ... I've taken quite a bit of this thread :(

Thanks so much for this post. You're not alone: I had the exact same issue as you, and if it wasn't for your advice about "ezboot", I'd still be stuck!

Can anyone else confirm that USB debugging mode definitely worked for them *after* installing FLB's ROM? I'm wondering if it might be a ROM issue. (To recap, kazoooo and I both completed all of the instructions on page 1 successfully, got an unlocked and working ROM, but found that USB debugging mode no longer worked. Neither of us could get clockwork back again [to try another ROM], since the installation doesn't leave it on the phone permanantly, and we couldn't repeat the whole set of instructions from the beginning because they rely on USB debugging mode in the first stage.)

Edited by JCPren

Guest Reider59

I`ve swapped ROM about 15-20 times now including the same ROM several times. Yesterday alone I did 3 ROM changes and had the Crescent.zip on and 2 of the Fish N Chips ROMS. My Restore screen (CWM) still works and so does USB Debugging. I only turned USB debugging off after the last ROM change because the phone warned me it was still on and had an icon showing at the top of the screen. Their are many things that can stop any single or multiple parts from working. My CWM was difficult to get on at first, ROM Manager didn`t work, now ROM Manager started working and I get into CWM every time. I also get there by pressing the VOL down and Power.

Their are some new ROMS out with CWM built in and a file to flash that doesn`t need to change the ROM or anything else. I haven`t tested it but this is a way to add CWM without affecting the current ROM etc....

http://android.modaco.com/topic/350343-alternative-way-to-flash-recovery/

This one, the 40mb version should be good with CWM built in. You`d have problems installing this one if you can`t get CWM just now though;

http://android.modaco.com/topic/349795-san-francisco-iit-mobile-vivacity-tpts/

Steve

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Had trouble after unlocking SFII (thanks to everyone that posted and helped me out). Managed to install recovery and have wiped battery stats and waiting until phone runs down. I want to try crescent again to see if that fixes things otherwise I'll revert to stock and return it as faulty. I have a few questions:

1. Do I just go into recovery and run update assuming I have crescent on sd card as a zip file?
  2. Do I need any other files? Wipe any files?
  3. Will recovery remain after this?
  4. Will recovery remain if i flash the stock rom?

Thanks.

Steve, just noticed your post, thanks, yes, that's how I got recovery on.. Still like to know above.

Edited by Thomas J Marshall

Guest Reider59

Had trouble after unlocking SFII (thanks to everyone that posted and helped me out). Managed to install recovery and have wiped battery stats and waiting until phone runs down. I want to try crescent again to see if that fixes things otherwise I'll revert to stock and return it as faulty. I have a few questions:

1. Do I just go into recovery and run update assuming I have crescent on sd card as a zip file?

You need the Crescent.zip and the correct kernel.zip file, either SFII or Vivacity, on the SD Card. Flash the Crescent.zip then immediately flash whichever kernel file to realign the keyboard. In your case its the SanfranciscoIIkernel.zip file. Its crucial to do both of them BEFORE rebooting to the system or you have to start over again.

2. Do I need any other files? Wipe any files?

See above, just the correct kernel zip file and don`t unzip any of them. Wipe the data/factory, the cache then use advanced to get to the Dalvik Cache BEFORE flashing the Crescent.zip and the correct kernel.zip

3.Will recovery remain after this?

It should and use of ROM Manager should be possible from then on. Second option, first page of ROM Manager. Its free too.

4. Will recovery remain if i flash the stock rom?

It should because you already added the CWM. If not then you just have to repeat that stage. But you`ll probably only put the stock ROM on if you continue to have problems and want to return the phone. If the phone works OK and you try some of these ROMS theirs no way you`ll ever want to go back to stock.

Thanks.

Steve, just noticed your post, yes, that's how I got recovery on.. Still like to know above.

Make sure the phone is fully charged again before doing any of the above......

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Make sure the phone is fully charged again before doing any of the above......

Steve

Steve, thanks again for all your advice. Sorry to keep asking stuff but I just want to check I don't need to backup qcn? That'sjust for unlock right?

Guest Reider59

Steve, thanks again for all your advice. Sorry to keep asking stuff but I just want to check I don't need to backup qcn? That'sjust for unlock right?

Thats right you unlocked, then restored the QCN to put your WiFi and system stuff back on. This time you`re going to hopefully do a Data/Factory Wipe, Cache Wipe and Dalvik Cache Wipe. Then change to the Crescent ROM, add back the SanfranciscoIIkernel.zip, both of them before rebooting the system don`t forget or you make it harder by starting again. You could do all of this without the USB cable connected so no you don`t need the QCN file this time around, thats just for when you unlock. Just make sure you always retain a copy of your Mac number, though it too can be fixed its easier not to create the problem in the first place. If theirs anything you wish to keep, like GMail settings/Contacts, paid for apps, programs and settings then Titanium Backup should be run first before you wipe and ROM change so it dumps a backup to your SD Card. Then after all is wiped, ROM and kernel installed, system rebooted you run the restore from Titanium Backup and put back any of your swag you wish to retain on the new ROM settings.

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Still can't get wifi on my TMV. Mac address shows 11 22 33 44 55 66. I kept the old mc adress but cant see the 11 22 33 44 55 66 in the hex editor.Each time I open hex and go to find, it says no strings found (either text or hex. When I looked at a youtube video the 11 etc was shown horizontally across the cells. I cannot find any run starting with 11 and have gone top to bottom (takes a very long time!!)

Originally I thought I backed up the qpst file, but now I find I have 2 in the 'bin' folder, numbered 0 and 1. When phone is connected via usb and debugging etc, neither show an 11 sequence when I open up the hex editor. i went from FTM to qpst found the phone in software download and came up with these two files. If they are both, or either in the qpst, why cant I see my original or 11 22 33 44 55 66 address appearing anywhere in the hex files?

Phone is unlocked, with plain vanilla version and I get 3g but wifi shows a message:Your phone dosent write mac address, please confirm.....(if only)!....still happy with phone but getting completely out of my depth now.

VS5

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Another query on my marathon SFII unlock. I had 3 issues after unlocking, intermittent no signal, intermittent blank sd card and battery drain/level fluctuations. Eventually I managed to get CWM recovery on and have flushed the battery stats. This has solved the battery problem amd my intention was to re-flash crescent and SFII kernel. However, I'm supposed to let the battery drain completely before re-charging so I thought I'd wait and see if the other 2 issues resolve - no sim in at the minute but the sd card is still showing blank error.

My question is about the sd card. The 2gb that came with the phone worked for a while but now doesn't and 2 different (new) 8gb cards the same. They do work in windows. I always disconnect from windows after looking at the card.

Should I format them first? Should the format be fat?

Is it likely to be a problem with the card, the phone or the unlock?

Guest Reider59

Still can't get wifi on my TMV. Mac address shows 11 22 33 44 55 66. I kept the old mc adress but cant see the 11 22 33 44 55 66 in the hex editor.Each time I open hex and go to find, it says no strings found (either text or hex. When I looked at a youtube video the 11 etc was shown horizontally across the cells. I cannot find any run starting with 11 and have gone top to bottom (takes a very long time!!)

Originally I thought I backed up the qpst file, but now I find I have 2 in the 'bin' folder, numbered 0 and 1. When phone is connected via usb and debugging etc, neither show an 11 sequence when I open up the hex editor. i went from FTM to qpst found the phone in software download and came up with these two files. If they are both, or either in the qpst, why cant I see my original or 11 22 33 44 55 66 address appearing anywhere in the hex files?

Phone is unlocked, with plain vanilla version and I get 3g but wifi shows a message:Your phone dosent write mac address, please confirm.....(if only)!....still happy with phone but getting completely out of my depth now.

VS5

You may have already been here but this is the best place to post as its MAC Address specific thread for Crescent phones;

http://android.modaco.com/topic/348492-tutorial-get-your-mac-address-if-you-already-unlocked-now-up/

Steve

Guest Reider59

Another query on my marathon SFII unlock. I had 3 issues after unlocking, intermittent no signal, intermittent blank sd card and battery drain/level fluctuations. Eventually I managed to get CWM recovery on and have flushed the battery stats. This has solved the battery problem amd my intention was to re-flash crescent and SFII kernel. However, I'm supposed to let the battery drain completely before re-charging so I thought I'd wait and see if the other 2 issues resolve - no sim in at the minute but the sd card is still showing blank error.

My question is about the sd card. The 2gb that came with the phone worked for a while but now doesn't and 2 different (new) 8gb cards the same. They do work in windows. I always disconnect from windows after looking at the card.

Should I format them first? Should the format be fat?

Is it likely to be a problem with the card, the phone or the unlock?

From what I read its FAT32 if over 4gig, which the 8 gig ones are. With the amount of problems I`d be tempted to get that phone back to stock asap and swap it for a new one. I actually did half of my 16gig card as FAT32 and the other half as EXT2 for apps like APP2SD to move apps to the SD card. In your case I`d keep it all as one partition in FAT32, wipe the data/factory, wipe the Cache, wipe the Dalvik Cache, flash the Crescent ROM, Flash the SanfranciscoIIkernel.zip and only then reboot the system (phone). If any problem at all remains I`d get that Stock ROM on and take it back like Jack Flash. As far as charging to 100% and letting it go flat is concerned I can only say that`s what I read, that both have to be done to get a full reading-I`m not about to argue with that. I let it go to 4% only then charged it again at that point.

I can`t say if its anything else with the phone thats causing the problems, because I wasn`t there at the time. I do know one or two people have repeated the unlock and then continued from there with the ROM change. But these are usually for other reasons. Just make sure you have the original Mac Address written down correctly too. If in any doubt at all then flash stock, return the phone and look innocent and play daft. Make sure your actors union card is up to date wink.gif

Steve

Edited by Reider59

You may have already been here but this is the best place to post as its MAC Address specific thread for Crescent phones;

http://android.modac...nlocked-now-up/

Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve. Had a go at this but still could not get any joy. Hoping that the folks over there can point me in the right direction. I am new to all this, but my gut instinct tells me that I haven't saved , backed up or restored somewhere along the line, as I cant think of anything else that I can isolate. Strange because the DEAD type files for backing up and restoring are all full, not zero. Pity I cannot find a programme to read them, although I thought someone somewhere talked about altering text files to make changes? I followed the instructions carefully, but if all else fails maybe I can falsh the rom again or retrace my steps and start over. Trouble is it seems a pity to get this far then messing up an otherwise clean unlock. Thanks for your imput, if you think of anything else, I will try it, although as I say, I think I am running on beginners luck, so far!

VS5

Guest Reider59

Thanks for the tip Steve. Had a go at this but still could not get any joy. Hoping that the folks over there can point me in the right direction. I am new to all this, but my gut instinct tells me that I haven't saved , backed up or restored somewhere along the line, as I cant think of anything else that I can isolate. Strange because the DEAD type files for backing up and restoring are all full, not zero. Pity I cannot find a programme to read them, although I thought someone somewhere talked about altering text files to make changes? I followed the instructions carefully, but if all else fails maybe I can falsh the rom again or retrace my steps and start over. Trouble is it seems a pity to get this far then messing up an otherwise clean unlock. Thanks for your imput, if you think of anything else, I will try it, although as I say, I think I am running on beginners luck, so far!

VS5

In that same thread you posted in someone mentions two NV-xxxx files in the system folders/sub folders on the phone. Two specific files are mentioned, I think file NV_4319 txt and NV_4329.txt. (on the phone not the SD card) I used ASTRO to look at mine and they are different NV files, I think the ones mentioned were for the MC not for the San FranciscoII or the Vivacity. They said in one post ignore the MAC Address line starting # and adjust the next one to the new Mac Address. But someone else said they used the Mac Address listed in the # line and re typed it in the next Mac Address line, the same in both files.

I cannot and will not tell you to try this since the files are for a different phone and may not work with the SFII and Vivacity. But I know if I had the problem exactly what I`d be doing at this moment. Knowing if it did work its only as temporary as the next ROM change then its got to be repeated for those same files again. What you do now is up to you, think it takes Superuser access. But more details are in that thread.

http://android.modac...nlocked-now-up/

I`d be making a copy of both files too and writing or pasting the current MAC Address settings in those 2 files to an aptly named text file or two on my desktop. Just to play safe.....

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Hi!

I have managed to unlock my ZTE crescent and loaded a mod that doesn't work very well, so would like to use one of yours. However everytime I try and load the Clockwork Mod Recovery I get to "Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img" and it just says waiting for device. am I missing something?

Thanks,

Nik

Guest madjandle

Hi!

I have managed to unlock my ZTE crescent and loaded a mod that doesn't work very well, so would like to use one of yours. However everytime I try and load the Clockwork Mod Recovery I get to "Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img" and it just says waiting for device. am I missing something?

Thanks,

Nik

I am also getting this message.... any help?