Anyone rooted a Liquid Metal from a Mac?

Guest Liquid_Metal_UK

Guest Liquid_Metal_UK

Having now got my 8GB Micro SD I was about to follow the instructions at the top of the board to root my Liquid Metal but notice that a few bits relate to it being done from a PC.

Anyone on here successfully rooted from a Mac?

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 if that helps.

you'll need the sdk and the Android SDK Platform-tools to switch the recovery

check this xda post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19529637&postcount=10

the fastboot procedure can you obtain by the install_recovery.cmd at the extracted recovery.zip

then you can root your device by flashing the zip from the sd

Edited by !gm

Guest Liquid_Metal_UK

Many thanks for the reply, would I then follow this thread...

Or does what you said above replace some/all of the instructions in that thread?

Sorry, but am a complete newbie when it comes to rooting a phone.

no, the "How to install a custom ROM & Partition your SD & Root" is sligtly wrong about rooting only

this is where you get the recovery + mentioned install_recovery.cmd:

superuser you'll get from here:

http://androidsu.com/superuser/

recovery you can enter finger-breaking-free by

adb reboot recovery

(if you enabled USB-Debugging)

Edited by !gm

Guest Liquid_Metal_UK

Sorry, really stupid when it comes to all this type of stuff and need a bit more help.

At the moment I have my week old Acer Liquid Metal running 2.3.6 Gingerbread.

Basically I only want to partition my phone as fed up with the "Low space" messages, what version of Android would I end up with if I followed above?

Are there any simple instructions such as:

1. Download blah blah

2. Plug in USB blah blah

Etc?

I am really nervous about attempting this but feel I have to as phone is so restricted without partitioning for more space.

Thanks for your time so far :)

Edited by Liquid_Metal_UK

You just asked about rooting - we only talked about rooting

this includes a replacement of the recovery, but android version and partition table remain untouched.

Don't think about repartitioning the phone, you have definitely no doubt about the consequences... <_<

If you meant altering the partitiontable of the sdcard you'll go well with the appropriate part in the "How to install a custom ROM & Partition your SD & Root".

Edited by !gm

Here is a step by step list for you Liquid_Metal_UK:

1. Download the android SDK from: Android SDK

2. Follow the SDK instructions to download and install "android platform tools".

3. Download and extract fastboot_mac.zip to "android-sdk/platform-tools". Rename it "fastboot".

4. Download CWM recovery and extract "recoo.img" to "android-sdk/platform-tools"

5. Plug in your LM and enable "USB-debugging" in settings.

6. Start up terminal and cd to the android-skd/platform-tools folder.

7. Type "adb devices" and check that your device is displayed (a series of number and letters).

8. Shut down your device and hold "volume up" while pressing power to boot into fastboot mode.

Type "adb shell reboot fastboot". Your device will reboot into fastboot mode.

9. When you see three colored squares on the display you're in fastboot. Type "fastboot flash recovery recoo.img" in terminal. If it worked correctly you will get a succes response.

10. Type "fastboot reboot" to reboot normally. When rebootet you can use "adb shell reboot recovery" to get into the recovery. Shut down your device and press "volume up", "focus" and "power" to boot into CWM. If all has worked well you will be able to partiotion your SD-card from here.

11. Download the superuser app that !gm linked. Put it on the root of your SD-card and use CWMrecovery to flash it. Now your devices should be rooted and your SD-card ready for usage with Link2SD.

Edited by Frojd

Guest Liquid_Metal_UK

Thanks so much Frojd.

Will report back once I have attempted it.

I am sure that your step by step guide will help other Mac users with this phone.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
Guest akasma74

Here is a step by step list for you Liquid_Metal_UK:

1. Download the android SDK from: Android SDK

2. Follow the SDK instructions to download and install "android platform tools".

3. Download and extract fastboot_mac.zip to "android-sdk/platform-tools". Rename it "fastboot".

4. Download CWM recovery and extract "recoo.img" to "android-sdk/platform-tools"

5. Plug in your LM and enable "USB-debugging" in settings.

6. Start up terminal and cd to the android-skd/platform-tools folder.

7. Type "adb devices" and check that your device is displayed (a series of number and letters).

8. Type "adb shell reboot fastboot". Your device will reboot into fastboot mode.

9. When you see three colored squares on the display you're in fastboot. Type "fastboot flash recovery recoo.img" in terminal. If it worked correctly you will get a succes response.

10. Type "fastboot reboot" to reboot normally. When rebootet you can use "adb shell reboot recovery" to get into the recovery. If all has worked well you will be able to partiotion your SD-card from here.

11. Download the superuser app that !gm linked. Put it on the root of your SD-card and use CWMrecovery to flash it. Now your devices should be rooted and your SD-card ready for usage with Link2SD.

on step 8 it says "Operation not permitted"

what's wrong with it?

Guest Big_Bang_Bones

i'm not the savviest, but mac's Terminal did my head in (it wouldnt recognize 'adb' even tho SDK installed fine). I ended up buying & installing W7 with Bootcamp...

Edited by Big_Bang_Bones

Guest akasma74

i'm not the savviest, but mac's Terminal did my head in (it wouldnt recognize 'adb' even tho SDK installed fine). I ended up buying & installing W7 with Bootcamp...

./adb instead of adb works for me ;)

Guest akasma74

I'm pretty sure tried that too!huh.gif

well, I followed all the long instructions and now I'm able to manage my phone via "adb shell", but there was no way to install custom recovery apart from setting it up from Windows :\

Guest akasma74

Yeah, that was a bit stupid of me! Use a button-combination to reboot in fastboot instead.

thanks anyway, now I have all that SDK stuff on my Mac and can issue adb commands as the phone is rooted ;)