[FAQ] Rooting for beginners. [UPDATED 24-02-13]

Guest Wacky.ddw

• 2 weeks later...
Guest on7dd

Hi people. I am not a newbe on computers, but i bought my first Android phone (Medion) a few months ago, and i really want to get rid of some pre-installed apps. I am searching alredy two months on the internet for an all-in (and working) tutorial to 'root' my phone. But to be honest, i really don't know how to start. So my question is simple : is there somebody who wants to do it for me? I don't care that i have to drive 100 kms, but all i want is that my phone will be rooted. I am even willing to donate a gift, as long it"s reasonable. I live in Oudenaarde, Oost-Vlaanderen.

Please, is there anyone who wants to help me?

Harry

What about flashing custom ROM? You don't need to root prior to flashing custom rom. Custom ROMs are already rooted.

If you don't want to go for custom rom, it is e.g. possible to use my rooted stock rom that is in TPT format so very easy to flash.

You can find it here: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sk&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fandroidforum.sk%2Fupravene-rom%2Forange-monte-carlo-stock-rom-t1771.html&act=url

(google translated)

There is also a guide how to backup your original rom right in the second post of that google translated topic - it is recommended to do backup before you make any modifications to original phone's system because

you will probably need it for example when giving phone for warranty repair.

Guest Muloo

Anybody who can help me please?

I live in Overijse and well be happy to help you

translation:

Ik woon in 3080 Overijse en wil je graag helpen als het echt moet

Guest Wacky.ddw

I live in Sint niklaas 9100, so if you really want that i could do it for you but i would just read the tutorial its easy as pie!

Guest Juananagp

Hi, can anyone help me?.. I installed the CWM Recovery v5.5.0.4 and the phisical keys did not work. Volume up, volume down, home, were unusable. I removed battery and installed the CWM Recovery v4.0.1.5 and everything goes perfect. I repeated the process 2 more times but with the 5.5.0.4 the phisical keys are off.

Does anyone knows how can I solve it?. I have the 4.0.1.5 installed but want to upgrade to the 5.5.0.4

Thanks!

Guest on7dd

I live in Sint niklaas 9100, so if you really want that i could do it for you but i would just read the tutorial its easy as pie!

Hi. I really would like it if you could help me out. Please contact me on [email protected]

Harry

Guest m0ther

Hi *wipes feet*

First post. i got a skate a few weeks ago and after following this forum for a while I'm about to take the plunge.

Question about making a backup of stock: in part 3 of this guide it states:

"If you make a backup from here, you didn’t make a complete stock backup. You made a backup of everything except the stock recovery partition."

..so is it necessary to make a "complete stock backup", ie. is the stock recovery partition required for a warranty return..? if so how do i make such a backup?

Thanks.

Guest Muloo

Hi *wipes feet*

First post. i got a skate a few weeks ago and after following this forum for a while I'm about to take the plunge.

Question about making a backup of stock: in part 3 of this guide it states:

"If you make a backup from here, you didn’t make a complete stock backup. You made a backup of everything except the stock recovery partition."

..so is it necessary to make a "complete stock backup", ie. is the stock recovery partition required for a warranty return..? if so how do i make such a backup?

Thanks.

There are allready multiple stock recovery's here on the forum, so if you do not find your ROM there than yes, it is prefered to backup.

I can not tell you how but wacky allready asked the Q. in the forum so the answer is there somewhere

Guest Muloo

Hi, can anyone help me?.. I installed the CWM Recovery v5.5.0.4 and the phisical keys did not work. Volume up, volume down, home, were unusable. I removed battery and installed the CWM Recovery v4.0.1.5 and everything goes perfect. I repeated the process 2 more times but with the 5.5.0.4 the phisical keys are off.

Does anyone knows how can I solve it?. I have the 4.0.1.5 installed but want to upgrade to the 5.5.0.4

Thanks!

Not volume Up & Down, only vol. down+home+power and keep pressing them until you are in CWM

Edited by Muloo

Guest m0ther

There are allready multiple stock recovery's here on the forum, so if you do not find your ROM there than yes, it is prefered to backup.

I can not tell you how but wacky allready asked the Q. in the forum so the answer is there somewhere

@Muloo thanks - i did have a look but couldn't see it before, i'll check again. in case anyone knows for sure if one exists it's the Orange UK one OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05 (2.3.5)

Edited by m0ther

Guest Juananagp

Not volume Up & Down, only vol. down+home+power and keep pressing them until you are in CWM

Hi, thanks for your answer. I use "Vol down+power" to enter in the CWM 5 menu, but once inside I can not move trough the menus by using the volume keys. None of the physical keys works.

However, In the CWM 4.0.1.5 I can use the physical keys to move trough the menus.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks!

Guest Muloo

Hi, thanks for your answer. I use "Vol down+power" to enter in the CWM 5 menu, but once inside I can not move trough the menus by using the volume keys. None of the physical keys works.

However, In the CWM 4.0.1.5 I can use the physical keys to move trough the menus.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks!

This is very strange, i also use the 5.5.0.4 from the first post, i get in CWM with Vol down + home + pwr and can navigate with volume buttons and home, where did you get the CMW from because there is no official release for ZTE but the one in the first post is working fine ...

Guest m0ther

i guess this is what you were referring to (from the pinned 'custom CWM' thread) - but i can't see any MD5s - should i worry about that..?

http://files.podtwo....tock/zte/skate/

thanks again.

Guest Juananagp

This is very strange, i also use the 5.5.0.4 from the first post, i get in CWM with Vol down + home + pwr and can navigate with volume buttons and home, where did you get the CMW from because there is no official release for ZTE but the one in the first post is working fine ...

I have the CWM from the first post, have downloaded it again, tried it tonight a couple of times with the same result. Can not navigate trough the menus. Back to the 4.0.1.5 and everything goes right.

Guest smaranjetesko

I have ZTE StarAddict phone and I've tried to install custom rom.

In my ignorance I used some OSF Flasher, patched by radmir after which I cannot start phone nor does it display anything.

I have installed all the drivers from this thread, but I couldn't install Google USB driver.

If I power on it with home button+Volume up+Power on I get in Device Manager, ADB Interface device - CT_ZTE_3GPhone Composite ADB Interface.

But I can't do anything with it.

If I power it on any other way, I get unrecognized device in Device Manager.

Can someone please help me with this. I have no idea what to try next.

I'm using Windows 7.

Guest smaranjetesko

Ok, I have download 3rd ROM, but how can I install it?

I can't boot into old ROM. I can't do anything from the phone.

Is there some Windows application to flash your ROM to the phone?

Edited by smaranjetesko

Guest smaranjetesko

I have tried that but when I power on the phone like in step 3, flashing progress does not appear.

I've checked that everything twice.

How long do I have to keep buttons pressed? And how long before flashing progress to appear?

Edited by smaranjetesko

Guest C3C0

You sure you have image folder in root of sd card and image.bin inside it?. You must hold vol+, menu button (middle one) and turn on the phone while holding them. Progress bar should appear immediately.

Guest on7dd

Hallo Wacky from Sint Niklaas. Can you please contact me on my e-mail ([email protected]), so we can make further arrangements?

To this guy from Overijse : thanks for the offer, but first i hope Wacky will contact me. Its closer for me to drive to.