[FAQ] Rooting for beginners. [UPDATED 24-02-13]

Guest Wacky.ddw

Guest urbanrebel

I've installed CWM using the TPT App and tried booting into CWM recovery as per the instructions but I can no longer boot into the stock rom, the phone only boots into CWM continuously. What went wrong and how can I boot back into the stock rom? Thanks.

Guest Wacky.ddw

I've installed CWM using the TPT App and tried booting into CWM recovery as per the instructions but I can no longer boot into the stock rom, the phone only boots into CWM continuously. What went wrong and how can I boot back into the stock rom? Thanks.

You will need to flash a new ROM, if you do a TPT the only thing left on your phone is clockworkmod. Just choose a ROM then you can flash back your stock ROM if you want afterwards :)

Guest urbanrebel

You will need to flash a new ROM, if you do a TPT the only thing left on your phone is clockworkmod. Just choose a ROM then you can flash back your stock ROM if you want afterwards :)

I've managed to put on the stock rom but all my settings and apps are lost now. I made a backup in clockworkmod and if I restore from that, it just keeps booting back into clockworkmod :( All I wanted to do was gain root access so that I could remove the orange apps. If I restore all but the boot restore, all I get is the Green Android logo. Any ideas? Thank you.

Guest Amphoras

I've managed to put on the stock rom but all my settings and apps are lost now. I made a backup in clockworkmod and if I restore from that, it just keeps booting back into clockworkmod :( All I wanted to do was gain root access so that I could remove the orange apps. If I restore all but the boot restore, all I get is the Green Android logo. Any ideas? Thank you.

All TPTs will wipe your data and rom unless they say otherwise. If you made a backup after using the TPT, there was nothing to back up, that's why it just boots to Clockwork after you restore it. If you just wanted to get root access, you should have either used the superboot boot.img (if its compatible with your phone), or flashed Clockwork via fastboot and installed the superuser zip from there. By using a TPT you have wiped all your data, and there is no way to get it back unless you backed some of it up before using the TPT.

Guest urbanrebel

Last time I backed up was before I unlocked the phone. I assume if I restored from that my phone would probably lock again. I guess I've lost everything again! It's a good job I didn't replay all the angry birds again because I would have lost my scores lol. I'm more bothered about the text messages because I've lost someones address.

What is the best way to back everything up so that it can be restored later?

I'm currently trying out Icecream sandwhich but the camera does not work. I assume an update will get released soon - What would be the best way to update the ROM but keep the apps and messages?

Thanks for your replies!

Guest Amphoras

Last time I backed up was before I unlocked the phone. I assume if I restored from that my phone would probably lock again. I guess I've lost everything again! It's a good job I didn't replay all the angry birds again because I would have lost my scores lol. I'm more bothered about the text messages because I've lost someones address.

What is the best way to back everything up so that it can be restored later?

I'm currently trying out Icecream sandwhich but the camera does not work. I assume an update will get released soon - What would be the best way to update the ROM but keep the apps and messages?

Thanks for your replies!

No, restoring that backup will not lock your phone again. Your contacts should get backed up to your Google account, for apps I use Titanium Backup, and for text messages I use SMS Backup+.

Guest Wacky.ddw

No, restoring that backup will not lock your phone again. Your contacts should get backed up to your Google account, for apps I use Titanium Backup, and for text messages I use SMS Backup+.

I've added this if you want to rewrite anything Amphoras just PM me and i will edit it :)

FLASHING A TPT WILL WIPE EVERYTHING AND AUTOMATICALLY REBOOT INTO CLOCKWORKMOD, SO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR STOCK BUILD IS!

(instructions are at the top of this topic)

I use SMS backup restore, it just makes an XML file you can import afterwards.

Guest Wacky.ddw

What is the easiest way to flash a stock rom, but keeping clockworkmod and a partition layout already achieved ?

I think by flashing speparate partitions trough ADB part 9 i think :)

Guest monographix

i would like to install this http://android.modac...ost__p__1895195 . which is a three files local stock Skate rom , boot.img, recovery.img, system.img

I already have ( i believe) a V2a patrtitions layout, and CWM installed.

If i understood right, i can use this stock Rom by using the recovery option from CWM excluding though the recovery.img and following those steps ? :

1. create a nandroid.md5 (Have some info maybe how is made, where is placed, how is used ?)

2. and then through CWM format boot, system, data, cache in mounts and storage, (4 wipes in total?)

3. Use recovery option from CWM

Edited by monographix

Guest uzb777

Part 12b) Flashing splash/boot animation.

Now download this file: LINK this is a flashable clockworkmod .zip if you only want to change your splash screen then replace the "splash.bmp" file and delete the "bootanimation.zip" from the zip you downloaded.

There is an updater-script file in the zxandroidboot.zip through the LINK. If you want to change your splash screen of your ZTE Skate, you must replace the word blade to word skate in that updater-script file.

Guest Wacky.ddw

hey the link is dead, fix it please

What link? they work here

There is an updater-script file in the zxandroidboot.zip through the LINK. If you want to change your splash screen of your ZTE Skate, you must replace the word blade to word skate in that updater-script file.

It allready works like it should now, but i will change it :)

Guest simicsl

Great thread tough... but I have some dillemas...

I got my ZTE Skate ftom my carrier with 2.3.5 gingerbread preinstalled. Before any changes and playing with custom ROMs I would like to completely backup phone.

How can I do that?

I mean, before I install ClockWork recovery.

Is it possible?

Guest murkan

I have a question, it's on 4th part about rooting the phone, on the beggining it says that you should not continue if you have 2.3.5 version of android, but later it says If you have android “2.3.5” click “1_Install_Android_2.3.5_root.bat” this will flash the “super2root.img” in that directory. i don't undestand, should i root or not???? i have 2.3.5

Guest Wacky.ddw

I got my ZTE Skate ftom my carrier with 2.3.5 gingerbread preinstalled. Before any changes and playing with custom ROMs I would like to completely backup phone.

How can I do that?

Is it possible?

Just check your build with system panel lite and if its a different build from the ones in the stock rom topic, you can boot clockworkmod externaly there allready are some topic's about that :) But if it is allready out there it wont be necessary :)

How can I do that?

Is it possible?

http://android.modaco.com/topic/351269-backup-original-rom/page__view__findpost__p__1892809

Guest murkan

I have a question, it's on 4th part about rooting the phone, on the beggining it says that you should not continue if you have 2.3.5 version of android, but later it says If you have android “2.3.5” click “1_Install_Android_2.3.5_root.bat” this will flash the “super2root.img” in that directory. i don't undestand, should i root or not???? i have 2.3.5

anyone please!