[FAQ] Rooting for beginners. [UPDATED 24-02-13]

Guest Wacky.ddw

Guest simicsl

My build is not on the stock ROM topic list. It's GB_TELENOR_...

So what I figured out from C3C0's post I have to install CWrecovery and then from it backup my system.

Trouble is that I cannot manage windows to recognize my phone.

On the other hand, in Linux, I installed Android SDK - platform tools and manage to get my device listed with 'adb devices' command

So, I guess I could manually install CWRecovery and then backup stock system and then install some of Skate's custom ROMs

:huh:

If you want to backup also your stock recovery don't install cwm but boot it. There is a bat for it in my archive (boot-clockworkmod.bat)

Install cwm after making backup using another bat (install-clockworkmod.bat)

Guest simicsl

In other words, I can do it manualy in my Linux box by:

adb reboot bootloader

flashboot boot clockworkmod.img

do a backup of stock recovery and system and then

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery clockworkmod.img

fastboot reboot

for install CWrecovery and than do whatever I want :)

Thanks for the tips!

@murkan

Well I'm preparing to root my device too but if I read and understood corectly, you don't need to root the phone separately if you want to install some custom ROM because they already have SU (superuser) support.

Rooting the way you mentioned is needed if you want to stay at stock ROM and want root access.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Guest murkan

In other words, I can do it manualy in my Linux box by:

adb reboot bootloader

flashboot boot clockworkmod.img

do a backup of stock recovery and system and then

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery clockworkmod.img

fastboot reboot

for install CWrecovery and than do whatever I want :)

Thanks for the tips!

@murkan

Well I'm preparing to root my device too but if I read and understood corectly, you don't need to root the phone separately if you want to install some custom ROM because they already have SU (superuser) support.

Rooting the way you mentioned is needed if you want to stay at stock ROM and want root access.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

yes i have already installes a kernel for overclocking so i need to root my phone.

Guest simicsl

It should work now its because i've grouped them on minus, if the links still dont work you can browse here :)

Link for version 5 didn't worked but

I think you uploaded version 4.x of CWR instead.

I flashed recovery.img from the package you uploaded and it said 4.0.1.5

Can you upload version 5 of CWR and update link in first post?

thank you

Guest Wacky.ddw

Link for version 5 didn't worked but

I think you uploaded version 4.x of CWR instead.

I flashed recovery.img from the package you uploaded and it said 4.0.1.5

Can you upload version 5 of CWR and update link in first post?

thank you

I gave the link a few post ago, here is the direct link :) http://min.us/mu0DNjVRR#2o

i allso updated the first post.

Guest Wacky.ddw

i think it isn't a stock rom cuz i've installed a new kernel for overclocking and i want to stay on it.

I allready tried flashing Medion stock rom on a TPT that was big enough, but flashing stock ROM's on a TPT results in a black screen when booting. So if you want stock ROM you need to flash back to your original TPT.

But i dont know why anyone would want to stay at stock ROM there are mutch better ROMs.

Guest murkan

I allready tried flashing Medion stock rom on a TPT that was big enough, but flashing stock ROM's on a TPT results in a black screen when booting. So if you want stock ROM you need to flash back to your original TPT.

But i dont know why anyone would want to stay at stock ROM there are mutch better ROMs.

ok then give me a rooted rom, something for Performance..

Guest VirusPlus

Part 8) Flashing backups/partitions trough ADB

You will have to download ADB, or you could download

ADB Made easy (made by D3abL3) which I use.

Assuming you have a windows computer with ABD installed, the right backup and USB debugging ticked on under “Settings >Applications > Development > USB Debugging".You can go on with the tutorial.

Now copy the 4 .img files from the backup in the directory of ADB.

Open “ADB Made easy” with your phone connected. Normally your device should show up. If not click the refresh icon, or install your drivers.

With your phone connected and detected click “Open CMD for ABD commands” Now we need to reboot into the bootloader, before we can flash anything. In order to do this you have to type “adb reboot bootloader” Now your phone should appear to be stuck at the first bootscreen.

To flash the full backup type these 4 commands:

"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

"fastboot flash boot boot.img"

"fastboot flash system system.img"

"fastboot flash splash splash.img"

You should allways see this after every flash:

voorbeeld.jpg

You could also flash

clockworkmod this way:

"fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-skate.img"

If everything is flashed. Reboot the device by typing:

"fastboot reboot"

Your device should reboot, and you should be back at complete stock now. :)

Im trying "fastboot flash system system.img" im getting a message:

sending 'system' <179742 KB>...

FAILED <remote: data too large>

finished. total time: 0.002s

is any other way to flash system.img?

Guest Wacky.ddw

Im trying "fastboot flash system system.img" im getting a message:

sending 'system' <179742 KB>...

FAILED <remote: data too large>

finished. total time: 0.002s

is any other way to flash system.img?

Yea ive heard this before i dont know how you flash partitions larger then 200mb you i would start a new topic if i where you, i would also like to know this :)

Guest lukebrenner

Hi there, I am quite new to Android. My Handy is a ZTE Skate but is sold in Germany by Eplus under the brand "Base Lutea 2 ".

I did a search on the forum and could not find any information on it. Only on Monte Carlo, etc ...

Is this normal ? I mean there are plenty of Lutea 2's out there ...

Therefore I'm wondering if the same instructions in this tutorial apply to my Base Lutea 2. I would like to change my ROM to Atomic.

Below are the details found in "About phone"

Model Number: Base Lutea 2

Android Version: 2.3.5

Baseband version: P743B01

Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-perf+, zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

Build number: GB_EPLUS_P9743KV1.0.0B03

The phone is unlocked and in an emergency, I can re-install the EPlus stock ROM.

I was just thinking of posting here the question before doing anything stupid.

Thanks.

UPDATE (might souns silly :) )

When I boot up the phone with Power + Home + Volume ( as I read on this forum ) , I am getting a menu with blue text:

Android System recovery <3e>

Android system recovery utility

- reboot system now

- apply sdcard: update.zip

- wipe data / factory reset

- wipe cache partition

Can I just copy the Atomic ROM R13, rename it to update.zip and run it by selecting the second option ?

Thanks.

Edited by lukebrenner

Guest Wacky.ddw

Hi there, I am quite new to Android. My Handy is a ZTE Skate but is sold in Germany by Eplus under the brand "Base Lutea 2 ".

I did a search on the forum and could not find any information on it. Only on Monte Carlo, etc ...

Is this normal ? I mean there are plenty of Lutea 2's out there ...

Therefore I'm wondering if the same instructions in this tutorial apply to my Base Lutea 2. I would like to change my ROM to Atomic.

Below are the details found in "About phone"

Model Number: Base Lutea 2

Android Version: 2.3.5

Baseband version: P743B01

Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-perf+, zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

Build number: GB_EPLUS_P9743KV1.0.0B03

The phone is unlocked and in an emergency, I can re-install the EPlus stock ROM.

I was just thinking of posting here the question before doing anything stupid.

Thanks.

UPDATE (might souns silly :) )

When I boot up the phone with Power + Home + Volume ( as I read on this forum ) , I am getting a menu with blue text:

Android System recovery <3e>

Android system recovery utility

- reboot system now

- apply sdcard: update.zip

- wipe data / factory reset

- wipe cache partition

Can I just copy the Atomic ROM R13, rename it to update.zip and run it by selecting the second option ?

Thanks.

No that wont work, you can flash any clockworkmod to your phone since it is the same phone. But you have a new build so you will need to make a backup first and upload it if you want, since there is no backup yet for that build. Here is a topic about backing up your original ROM

LINK

Afterwards you can just download TPT manager from the market like explained in part 2 good luck :)

Guest j1thu

Hi,

I'm new to all this rooting.

I recently purchased an OMC/Skate (1 Week old).

I've managed to unlock it and everything was going well until just now when I thought I knew it all and tried to root my phone so that I could remove all the Orange apps.

Unfortunatly, whilst following Wacky.ddw's instructions, I did something wrong and now when the phone is turned on, the android logo comes up followed by the Google logo and that's it. The phone does not boot up.

I have not installed clockwork :(

Please help

Thanks

Guest j1thu

Finally managed to sort out my phone and get it unlocked and rooted.

My new problem is that the wifi is not working. It keeps saying something about the MAC address missing or being incorrect

What shall I do?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wacky.ddw,,

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Though I couldn't flash it to new ICS Android 4.0.4 ROM ()

With you detailed instructions, atlast I could get a Stock ROM from, http://files.podtwo.com/roms/stock/zte/skate/ and saved my mobile :)

My current version ( it was 2.3.5 ) and tried out the new Android 4.0.4 as given above. I've attached few snaps while doing this upgrade (http://bit.ly/ZTE-skate )

steps followed.

1.Installed CWM through TPT

2.downloaded the latest ICS Android4 ROM as given above + Google apps and saved in sd card

3.in TPT, chosen "All in One" & "Skate v2a"

4. "Start TPT" box rebooted and booted up with CWM mode

5.“backup and restore > backup”

6. ”wipe factory/data > Yes” (I got message "No app2sd partition is found. Skipping format of /sd-ext.")

7. ”wipe cache > Yes”

8. ”advanced > wipe dalvik cache> Yes”

9. “install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard” --> yes

10. .“Reboot system now > Yes”

11. Now, the problem starts.... after reboot it stays on 'android' text

***debug--1

12. Then I tried remove battery and booted up with vol.down + pwr + menu (home key didn't work for me)

13. got into the CWM

14. tried the ”mounts and storage format/system”

15. Installed Google apps + ROM (CM9) ( as suggested in --> http://bit.ly/ImB5wb )

16. .“Reboot system now > Yes”

17. booted to recovery mode ( I mean the CWM boot menu as shown in the snap shots, http://bit.ly/ZTE-skate )

18. here, whenever i reboot, it always get into recovery mode. I DON"T know how to reboot OUT OF recovery

19 for reboot OUT OF recovery, i removed battery and inserted back and pressed power button....

***debug--2

20. thought of giving up with “backup and restore > restore”

21. and reboot didn't work

***debug--3

23. downloaded the ZTE stock from link mentioned above

24. saved in SD card.

25. ROM installation, basically repeating the steps 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10

26. booted up successfully

Any suggestions for me is very much appreciated.

Once again thanks for your time taken to post the beginners 'rooting' tutorial

Guest Amphoras

When you first tried to install ICS and it stuck at the android text, how long was it on that for? Had you flashed the rom and google apps at the same time, or only the rom?

The reason restoring the backup didn't work was because you made the backup after you had used the TPT. TPTs wipe all your data, so the only thing installed on your phone at that point was CWM recovery, so that's all it could back up. When you tried to restore, there wasn't anything to restore other than recovery which was why nothing happened.

Edited by Amphoras

When you first tried to install ICS and it stuck at the android text, how long was it on that for? Had you flashed the rom and google apps at the same time, or only the rom?

The reason restoring the backup didn't work was because you made the backup after you had used the TPT. TPTs wipe all your data, so the only thing installed on your phone at that point was CWM recovery, so that's all it could back up. When you tried to restore, there wasn't anything to restore other than recovery which was why nothing happened.

I left the phone in 'Android text' for almost 6 min ( as mentioned in the link )

On my first trial i flashing only ROM. It didn't up.

During my next trial i flashed ROM then Google apps one after another.

Thanks Amphoras, regarding the 'restore' option.

How can I reboot OUT OF recovery mode ? Is this just a reboot after the ROM is flashed ?

Guest Amphoras

I left the phone in 'Android text' for almost 6 min ( as mentioned in the link http://android.modac...m-updated-0704/ )

On my first trial i flashing only ROM. It didn't up.

During my next trial i flashed ROM then Google apps one after another.

Thanks Amphoras, regarding the 'restore' option.

How can I reboot OUT OF recovery mode ? Is this just a reboot after the ROM is flashed ?

I'm not sure why it wasn't working then, sounds like you did things properly.

To reboot after flashing a rom, just press the back key until you get back to the first menu and choose the first option, think its something like reboot system now.