TripNiCE - Ice Cream Sandwich Discussion Thread | Latest - TR001B

Guest Arz Bhatia

Guest TripNRaVeR

I gave +1 because I thought he was right but I was wrong! Does you need to make a special mention to laugh at this? Trip..how old are you? Your action shows that you are just a kid who knows how to develop but has yet to learn to live!

I'm laughing now..

Says someone that resizes his posts to show off what a "big" guy he is :rolleyes:

Yes i need to laugh about it, because the only intention with the +1 was to say that i make things up and just say something to show off. Now you find out that i'm right and you inmediatly try to make fun of me.. A big round off applaus for you! For the mature person, yeah right :unsure:

Guest brian denmark

Alot of weired posts in this thread.... Remember Trip does this amazing job alone for free for us sensation users...love his work !

Guest zyonee

Alot of weired posts in this thread.... Remember Trip does this amazing job alone for free for us sensation users...love his work !

Yes, well, I do respect the work that has been done on this ROM. As far as I know, except for this ROM, only Kmobs has been able to make a bootable AOSP ICS ROM for the Sensation, but since he hasn't released it, we can't confirm how well or not it's working.

Trip, on the other hand, does release his stuff. I just wish he'd act a bit more pleasant to people who do want to help him and a little more patient with the eager crowd who are testing this ROM. Furthermore, I don't see the point in calling this AOSP if this ROM is going to be closed source. We don't know what's been done and by which commiter (yes, it is possible that Trip isn't doing everything on his own, but I'm sure he's doing a lot of it). The point of AOSP is the community effort, as I see it. Imagine how far the community would have come by now if Trip had been open about his source code and put his stuff publically on github. Kmobs said something like "99 % of the community contributions come when the device tree is already done and the ROM works. I disagree. Many people have contributed in in the CM9 repo improving or even getting devices to work without the need of it being closed source until working.

So unless Trip has a lot to hide or is really (as claimed by some) egocentric, too proud and fame-seeking, I just don't see the point of not publishing the source code and let everybody help. It's like sitting in a sand box full of toys, keeping all 20 of them for yourself alone and only playing with one of them. At this point, he could still claim that it's him alone who got the AOSP ROM booting on the Sensation, but more people could still contribute.

So yes, it is amazing what has been done so far. Why not let other people help out?

</rant>

Guest Basil3

@zyonee

Fair points. I'm on the fence about the whole thing. On one hand you have kmobs that was using ICS as a daily driver on his sensation over a month ago, and still no sign of an alpha. On the other hand, Trip does things his way (which may not be the way some people think things should be done) yet he delivers.

Guest gbzbar

Yes, well, I do respect the work that has been done on this ROM. As far as I know, except for this ROM, only Kmobs has been able to make a bootable AOSP ICS ROM for the Sensation, but since he hasn't released it, we can't confirm how well or not it's working.

Trip, on the other hand, does release his stuff. I just wish he'd act a bit more pleasant to people who do want to help him and a little more patient with the eager crowd who are testing this ROM. Furthermore, I don't see the point in calling this AOSP if this ROM is going to be closed source. We don't know what's been done and by which commiter (yes, it is possible that Trip isn't doing everything on his own, but I'm sure he's doing a lot of it). The point of AOSP is the community effort, as I see it. Imagine how far the community would have come by now if Trip had been open about his source code and put his stuff publically on github. Kmobs said something like "99 % of the community contributions come when the device tree is already done and the ROM works. I disagree. Many people have contributed in in the CM9 repo improving or even getting devices to work without the need of it being closed source until working.

So unless Trip has a lot to hide or is really (as claimed by some) egocentric, too proud and fame-seeking, I just don't see the point of not publishing the source code and let everybody help. It's like sitting in a sand box full of toys, keeping all 20 of them for yourself alone and only playing with one of them. At this point, he could still claim that it's him alone who got the AOSP ROM booting on the Sensation, but more people could still contribute.

So yes, it is amazing what has been done so far. Why not let other people help out?

</rant>

I understand your points, and some of them are very valid, but there are some things that people need to understand. Trip is probably not quick to release source code for the same reasons that Kmobs doesn't want to yet.

1. They don't need or want people to kang the source code, build ROMs themselves with no changes, and then take credit for making the ROM. It has happened before, and it will happen again.

2. They don't need 1000 bug reports for things that are already known. Especially when there are some HUGE bugs left because the ROM is not finished yet.

3. There is no reason to release source code for an unfinished rom. Source code that is half finished is essentially useless, because nobody is as familiar with Trip's source code as he is. It will take twice as long for someone else to find and fix a bug as it will for Trip. MAYBE after the ROM is done, and all bugs are worked out, then Trip can release source code and people can kang and play around with it to their heart's content.

4. Nothing about the AOSP project requires Trip or Kmobs to release source code for their roms. Their roms are BUILT from AOSP code, obtained from Google, under the AOSP license. From there on, any work that they put into the ROM is licensed by them until they decide to release their source. It's still an AOSP rom, even without the source being public.

5. Trip has already released the source code for his kernel a while ago. Feel free to play around with that and find bugs and fix them. How many people do you think downloaded his source code and fixed bugs in the Kernel? I doubt any. Maybe Trip can confirm whether I am right or wrong on this point.

Let them do their work, and after the ROM is suitable for release and "finished", then maybe Trip will release source code. But it's up to him, and he's not obligated to release anything.

Enjoy the ICS goodness.

Edit: Sorry Arz Bhatia, I know that none of this is development related, and I know it doesn't belong here. smile.gif

Edited by gbzbar

Guest zyonee

I understand your points, and some of them are very valid, but there are some things that people need to understand. Trip is probably not quick to release source code for the same reasons that Kmobs doesn't want to yet.

1. They don't need or want people to kang the source code, build ROMs themselves with no changes, and then take credit for making the ROM. It has happened before, and it will happen again.

2. They don't need 1000 bug reports for things that are already known. Especially when there are some HUGE bugs left because the ROM is not finished yet.

3. There is no reason to release source code for an unfinished rom. Source code that is half finished is essentially useless, because nobody is as familiar with Trip's source code as he is. It will take twice as long for someone else to find and fix a bug as it will for Trip. MAYBE after the ROM is done, and all bugs are worked out, then Trip can release source code and people can kang and play around with it to their heart's content.

4. Nothing about the AOSP project requires Trip or Kmobs to release source code for their roms. Their roms are BUILT from AOSP code, obtained from Google, under the AOSP license. From there on, any work that they put into the ROM is licensed by them until they decide to release their source. It's still an AOSP rom, even without the source being public.

5. Trip has already released the source code for his kernel a while ago. Feel free to play around with that and find bugs and fix them. How many people do you think downloaded his source code and fixed bugs in the Kernel? I doubt any. Maybe Trip can confirm whether I am right or wrong on this point.

Let them do their work, and after the ROM is suitable for release and "finished", then maybe Trip will release source code. But it's up to him, and he's not obligated to release anything.

Enjoy the ICS goodness.

Edit: Sorry Arz Bhatia, I know that none of this is development related, and I know it doesn't belong here. smile.gif

@gbzbar:

Well, your points are also valid and I won't argue much. I know AOSP has no requirement to release all code. It's the open-source spirit I was thinking about. I realize that other people's (especially unfinished) code is hard to understand, but in some cases, it's not about changing much, but rather adding stuff that may have been overlooked. I know from personal experience that some bugs are plain stupidity on my behalf and others could easily see it whereas I couldn't see the forest because of all the trees. As you said, people would kang it and rename it to their own. As long as there is open source, this will continue to happen, whether it's an unfinished ROM or not. The proof that Trip was doing most of the work is here in these discussion threads (I know, this is probably the wrong thread for this conversation).

Not trying to start a fight or anything. As a CyanogenMod user I'm just used to being able to, to the extent of my programming skills, modify things when the need to be modified rather than having to bother a single programmer who is probably swamped with bugs to fix anyway. That's why I'm longing for the Sensation to be merged into the CM9 repo, and Trip could make a good contribution here, I'm sure. Unless Kmobs will reject it for personal reasons, which would be kind of counter-productive for the community.

Just my two cents. I'm shutting up now. :)

Edited by zyonee

Guest BummAround

So true. Too many dumb self-proclaimed "noob devs" who infest us with crappy ROMs.

So well said, bro!

Guest TripNRaVeR

The posts above me illustrate exactly why i dont open source my work. Why would i give something to the community where so much people complaining about me stealing work that isnt even available to anyone? How the hell could i steal it???

Secondly after seeing my work appearing on a lot of roms, and even seeing cm producing a "bomb" to prevent libaudio being used there is no way i'm going to make anything public. They just cant handle that they cant rip the source and releasing it on xda so they have "there" own ICS rom. People who follow my Twitter do know that i dont have a problem with helping anyone.

The community doesnt deserve to get my work, so forget it, not ever gonna happen. I would rather remove all the source then make it public. I also know that not everyone is like that, but since the xda boy scouts came here and start to attack people its a closed book.

They came here to start fighting and the same moment asking, demanding for source because it would help the community.. LOL

Tell me mr zyonee;

How does it help the community to create accounts on forums and start attacking people? Is that the Android community? Is that the great community i must give my spare time and hard work?

You even say something like "i have something to hide" You are right i have something to hide MY HARD WORK AND SPARE TIME

Stop wasting my topic with this bullshit, i dont care! Get it? I never let people call me names and just give them my work, they cant produce anything themselfs and thats no ego from me just hard FACTS there is no ICS Sensation AOSP rom on xda. I know it hurts but this is what they wanted.

From the moment i got banned because of protecting my work and asking for credits, xda is worthless to me. Let the boys play there with sense, we have AOSP.

Capiché

Guest NickClarke40

Here's my 2 cents worth, STOP POSTING TOTALLY IRRELEVANT POSTS WHICH ONLY SERVE TO PISS PEOPLE OFF!

Trip does good work, and I've been following his progress on here & twitter, he's also (when time allowed) answered my questions/queries, he's got no obligation to anyone here to release code (if he fears it's going to get ripped of).

Lets keeps this thread clean & to the point, if you don't like his work or ethics, go else where, Not Interested.

Rant over, have a good evening

</rant>

So who's the stupid egocentric child.......... all I see is someone trying to pick a fight for no reason, how about you grow up!

Trip does good work, don't piss him off, else we who follow & support Trip's work have to read this crap, and perhaps risk him not releasing any further ROMS!

2nd Rant of the night over.

I have no intention to dispute with a stupid egocentric child

Guest NickClarke40

Not a Dev, so only after his great ROM Builds wink.gif

Cmon guys, dont demand more from him. If you want his code so much then go ask him personally. Its good enough he is sharing a really good ROM.

Guest ManCityFC

I'm not interested in all this garbage either. The lad is doing great work. People should stay away from this thread if all they want to do is dig at him. And the mods should just delete all this crap too, nobody wants to read it.

Anyway, I have a real question. I was wondering what progress you are making with Bluetooth Trip. Really excited about this new coming release. The Sense AOSP (oxymoron I think, can you call it that?) is OK but finding loads of little niggles that remind me I am still using Sense. Great on battery though.

Guest CptAwesomeTT

Good work indeed. From looking around, I'm not seeing ANYONE even working on AOSP for Sensation. Looking on XDA, there's a flood of Sense roms. Why isnt anyone else working on aosp. Is it that trip went to a magical well to get the code he started with because no one else seems willing or able. Dont pay any attention to the haters!!

Guest zyonee

The posts above me illustrate exactly why i dont open source my work. Why would i give something to the community where so much people complaining about me stealing work that isnt even available to anyone? How the hell could i steal it???

Secondly after seeing my work appearing on a lot of roms, and even seeing cm producing a "bomb" to prevent libaudio being used there is no way i'm going to make anything public. They just cant handle that they cant rip the source and releasing it on xda so they have "there" own ICS rom. People who follow my Twitter do know that i dont have a problem with helping anyone.

The community doesnt deserve to get my work, so forget it, not ever gonna happen. I would rather remove all the source then make it public. I also know that not everyone is like that, but since the xda boy scouts came here and start to attack people its a closed book.

They came here to start fighting and the same moment asking, demanding for source because it would help the community.. LOL

Tell me mr zyonee;

How does it help the community to create accounts on forums and start attacking people? Is that the Android community? Is that the great community i must give my spare time and hard work?

You even say something like "i have something to hide" You are right i have something to hide MY HARD WORK AND SPARE TIME

Stop wasting my topic with this bullshit, i dont care! Get it? I never let people call me names and just give them my work, they cant produce anything themselfs and thats no ego from me just hard FACTS there is no ICS Sensation AOSP rom on xda. I know it hurts but this is what they wanted.

From the moment i got banned because of protecting my work and asking for credits, xda is worthless to me. Let the boys play there with sense, we have AOSP.

Capiché

Well, if you're trying to get me angry, I'd have to say sorry for wasting your time. I won't get angry. I will set some facts straight, however.

1: I didn't accuse you of stealing. That's just it. And I didn't criticize what you've done, on the contrary, I did even say that I respect your work. I never said that you're stealing, I suggested that you may be getting help from others occasionally - which really is perfectly ok in my world.

2: If others are stealing your work without giving proper credit, please let that be an issue between them and yourself, not between anyone who has a different view and yourself. My intention had nothing to do with theft. You can find my github repos, which are based on others' work, just like yours is based off AOSP. I already admitted that I'm not the most active or skilled programmer, but I do have some basic skills and have done a few projects that others seem to have appreciated, much like many have appreciated your work. Some forked my source (which like I said was forked from others) and continued making modifications/additions in their own preference. I'm ok with it, since I'm not looking for recognition. And I did clearly state what my work, if we should call it that - I don't work, I do it for fun, is based on.

Furthermore, if your idea is to keep everything secret except for the final product, that's fine by me. Mine was a request for clarification on your reasons, a request for source publication and a request for some diplomacy, all which you have all right to deny - and you did.

3: Name calling won't get me angry or you anywhere. Some fans will, and have, joined you in hating me - that's fine by me too. If they and you can't accept that we have different philosophies, then I don't even need to care. :)

4: As irrelevant as your comment on my creating an account here is, I'll clarify: I created my account on May 31st, 2010. Neither I or you possess the ability to see the future like that, so we can rule out that I created an account in order to criticize you. My reasons for having an account are others, dating back to the days when the Nexus One was the coolest device an Android fan could own.

The funny thing is that I can see a politician in you. You're taking things out of context (my join date), painting opinions on me which aren't mine (accusations of theft, etc) and make it your truth for others to believe. If they want to believe it, then so be it. I'm not afraid of pissing you off, even if it wasn't my intention. The fact that I'm trying to relay my opinions diplomatically hasn't seemed to strike you, and your response pretty much proves that Scanny82's name calling may be well founded. Your work is the product of your own will, nobody can demand that you should do it unless he/she is your employer. Nobody can demand that you release the source code of your work, people can however ask you for it. Your reaction is one I'd expect from a 12 year old. I don't doubt your programming skills, though.

So that's my thought on the matter. I actually don't care much if someone will report this post and get it deleted. I've set my facts straight. Wasn't interested in a fight, I don't regard this as a fight either. Your reply amused me so much that I really wanted to reply, otherwise I'd probably left it as it was. I have no intention of continuing this <whatever it is>. You may insert your line of insults and such below this post, but I'm not interested.

Have a nice evening, regardless of your opinions. I will. :)

Guest ManCityFC
because no one else seems willing or able.

"Able" I think you will find, or if they are, they are in the Cyanogenmod club and we aren't welcome in that club. Its easier to get an ETA out of HTC or Asus than those dicks, and I have donated.

Guest fucian

Well, if you're trying to get me angry, I'd have to say sorry for wasting your time. I won't get angry. I will set some facts straight, however.

1: I didn't accuse you of stealing. That's just it. And I didn't criticize what you've done, on the contrary, I did even say that I respect your work. I never said that you're stealing, I suggested that you may be getting help from others occasionally - which really is perfectly ok in my world.

2: If others are stealing your work without giving proper credit, please let that be an issue between them and yourself, not between anyone who has a different view and yourself. My intention had nothing to do with theft. You can find my github repos, which are based on others' work, just like yours is based off AOSP. I already admitted that I'm not the most active or skilled programmer, but I do have some basic skills and have done a few projects that others seem to have appreciated, much like many have appreciated your work. Some forked my source (which like I said was forked from others) and continued making modifications/additions in their own preference. I'm ok with it, since I'm not looking for recognition. And I did clearly state what my work, if we should call it that - I don't work, I do it for fun, is based on.

Furthermore, if your idea is to keep everything secret except for the final product, that's fine by me. Mine was a request for clarification on your reasons, a request for source publication and a request for some diplomacy, all which you have all right to deny - and you did.

3: Name calling won't get me angry or you anywhere. Some fans will, and have, joined you in hating me - that's fine by me too. If they and you can't accept that we have different philosophies, then I don't even need to care. :)

4: As irrelevant as your comment on my creating an account here is, I'll clarify: I created my account on May 31st, 2010. Neither I or you possess the ability to see the future like that, so we can rule out that I created an account in order to criticize you. My reasons for having an account are others, dating back to the days when the Nexus One was the coolest device an Android fan could own.

The funny thing is that I can see a politician in you. You're taking things out of context (my join date), painting opinions on me which aren't mine (accusations of theft, etc) and make it your truth for others to believe. If they want to believe it, then so be it. I'm not afraid of pissing you off, even if it wasn't my intention. The fact that I'm trying to relay my opinions diplomatically hasn't seemed to strike you, and your response pretty much proves that Scanny82's name calling may be well founded. Your work is the product of your own will, nobody can demand that you should do it unless he/she is your employer. Nobody can demand that you release the source code of your work, people can however ask you for it. Your reaction is one I'd expect from a 12 year old. I don't doubt your programming skills, though.

So that's my thought on the matter. I actually don't care much if someone will report this post and get it deleted. I've set my facts straight. Wasn't interested in a fight, I don't regard this as a fight either. Your reply amused me so much that I really wanted to reply, otherwise I'd probably left it as it was. I have no intention of continuing this <whatever it is>. You may insert your line of insults and such below this post, but I'm not interested.

Have a nice evening, regardless of your opinions. I will. :)

"Cool story bro"

Come on guys, chill out. Im from XDA and will go on record to say that I am here to see if TRIPS AOSP or CM9 or whatever it is really works. If it does, then ill laugh in Kmobs face for having TRIP beat him at releasing his own project. If it doesnt, ill likely laugh at all you guys. Fair, right?

These long ass rants get you nowhere. Just leave people alone. Its their ROM and their rules.

I blame HTC for all this BS. If HTC was more like APPLE, then we wouldnt be harassing computer nerds into fixing our phones so that they work they way they were advertised to work. I would have an iPHONE if it wasnt for Tmobile being such a loser. APPLE makes DAMN sure their products work. Im sitting here looking at an ipad 1 outdo my dual core 1.5Ghz ICS leaked sensation. No excuse for that crime, HTC.

Lets support the cool dudes here that CAN AND DO make our phones work RIGHT rather than harass them.

TRIP: Youve done a good job. Also, forget SIRI. Youll get someone even better if you look forward to it. Heres looking at laughing in CM's face! Also, I thank TRIP for keeping us updated to the progress he is making. Its nice to see you are thinking about finishing what you started as opposed to Kmobs updating us on Catsup that Whataburger now offers.

Matt

Edited by fucian

Guest TripNRaVeR

bunch of crap

Funny how you pretend to be a grown up man, and you just talk so much bullshit in one post that it looks like you are on of THE most interesting persons on earth.

Its strange that in such big post, exactly those things relevant to me being angry where left out, that also says everything about youre intentions. Why do you say you dont want to fight but between the lines you write things to attack me personally. You begin to speak about you being a programmer, about your personal opinion about me, what you think of me and all those things nobody cares about.

No response on the fact WHY i refused to make anything public. Also no response on anything else relevant to my point of view. Youre intensions are still the same, trying to get something going. Also youre reaction about me saying something about stealing is even worse then a twelve year old. Firstly youre name wasnt even writed out once in the first 2 phases, so dont know where you get youre wisdom from but read it again.

So unless you have something usefull to say we are done speaking, not going to defend myself here lol

Guest fucian

Funny how you pretend to be a grown up man, and you just talk so much bullshit in one post that it looks like you are on of THE most interesting persons on earth.

Its strange that in such big post, exactly those things relevant to me being angry where left out, that also says everything about youre intentions. Why do you say you dont want to fight but between the lines you write things to attack me personally. You begin to speak about you being a programmer, about your personal opinion about me, what you think of me and all those things nobody cares about.

No response on the fact WHY i refused to make anything public. Also no response on anything else relevant to my point of view. Youre intensions are still the same, trying to get something going. Also youre reaction about me saying something about stealing is even worse then a twelve year old. Firstly youre name wasnt even writed out once in the first 2 phases, so dont know where you get youre wisdom from but read it again.

So unless you have something usefull to say we are done speaking, not going to defend myself here lol

TRIP-Just let your work speak for itself. No need to waste time with people that come here to bicker about the way you do your thing. They havent done anything that should grab your attention anyways. No one here has done anything to help ICS progress aside from test your releases. Its time to take the highroad. These things will wind up as bugs in your ROM if you let them. No need to defend yourself against someone with 4 posts.

Matt

Guest brian denmark

Its all trash talk from normal users. No dev actually here discussion the rom, only kids with too much spare time talking about source code, which noone is interested in reading.

Hope Trip doesnt use too much time on those one or two drama queens. I love miui and i love aosp from trip.

Hope he understands that some out there appriciate his work...honesly dont think he knows how much normal flash-addicted people like me check this forum and twitter in hopes for a new release.....its art, amazing etc.

Keep up !!!

Guest ManCityFC

Mods, just pull all these posts out, delete them, and lets move on please. None of this serves a useful purpose.

Trip, don't reply to people who question you this way. You have no case to answer. Just work your magic, in your own time, at your own pace, how YOU want to. You owe nobody nothing, least of all an explanation about how or why you do what you do, the way you do it. People F5'ing this thread will answer these posts from now on, I am sure.

Guest zeroprobe

I wouldn't release your source either Trip, it's your work and time, you do whatever you want with it as I'm sure you will.

I'd rather not see 5000 duplicate roms showing up everywhere with little tinkered bits here and there.

The new VirtuSuperRom 5000 AOSP 4.0.9 with Beats included and Google Maps removed !!!

Edited by zeroprobe