[ROM / 2.3.1] Stripped AndyPad Pro ROM 4 (January 18)

Guest Csharpe

Guest Csharpe

I'm unable to flash it with a stock ROM either..... annoying :angry2:

Are you sure you have the correct drivers for it installed then? Try reinstalling them with the newer drivers included in the RKAndroidTool from Device Manager. If that doesn't work out, I'm sorry but I wouldn't have a clue :)

Guest Tricky103

Hi..

Thank you for the rom's, I appreciate your hard work,

I bought my AndyPad 2nd hand off of @Samsamoon . I flashed your Beta 3 onto the pad, it cleared any errors I was getting when I got it, and it ran well for a couple of weeks. Then the other day it would not boot. I reflashed Beta 3, it formatted everything, but once I got back to my home screen I could connect to my WiFi but the internet pages will not load, I cannot sync an account.. I have now flashed Beta 4 and I am getting the same error.

I am an andypad noob, so any advise would be great.

I have clicked factory reset etc..

I guess I really need to go back to stock. Is it the same offsets that you use on v4??

-----------------------

Edit.

Not sure what fixed it.

Flashed many times... Stock rooted etc.. Couldn't get them to boot, all stuck at the 'Andy Pad_', guessing as file system is EXT3 now.

I flashed the v4 again and set a static IP and I have internet, :) kids will be happy again.

Thanks for the rom

Edited by Tricky103

Guest Csharpe

Hi Guys,

Any good news about ad-hoc connections on AndyPad?

Ben

It needs a patched wpa_supplicant binary for GB 2.3.1 :) haven't really had time for it anymore, really busy with work...

Guest Astralix

Hi Csharp :)

Just looking arond for someone who has enabled serial console on his/her Andypad (Pro) to check clock setup. Got it working for the Odys as you mentioned here.

So step by step a working kernel for RK29 based devices comes around. But without serial console access it's quite hard to detect any issue.

Reagrds

Astralix

Guest Csharpe

Hi Csharp :)

Just looking arond for someone who has enabled serial console on his/her Andypad (Pro) to check clock setup. Got it working for the Odys as you mentioned here.

So step by step a working kernel for RK29 based devices comes around. But without serial console access it's quite hard to detect any issue.

Reagrds

Astralix

I can use my PIC flasher (PICKit2) to debug serial, found it somewhere in my closet again ;) I'm just not sure where the ground & 2 data pins are on the T760 and AP. I'll see what I can do.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but does the #4 version support Flash? I attempted to download Flash from Android Market but the browser seems to crash when I visit a flash site.

Otherwise, very pleased with the improvements - thanks to the people that made it possible.

Regards,

Tony

Guest Csharpe

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but does the #4 version support Flash? I attempted to download Flash from Android Market but the browser seems to crash when I visit a flash site.

Otherwise, very pleased with the improvements - thanks to the people that made it possible.

Regards,

Tony

The version from Market isn't supported (blame the GPU drivers), but I've linked to a 10.4 install at the downloads, which will work (install trough 'adb install [apkname]' or just download it to your SD. Make sure you uninstall the previous one first.

Edited by Csharpe

The version from Market isn't supported (blame the GPU drivers), but I've linked to a 10.4 install at the downloads, which will work (install trough 'adb install [apkname]' or just download it to your SD. Make sure you uninstall the previous one first.

Ah - OK thanks. I misread that as applying to the #3 version - my bad.

Regards,

Tony

Guest docmarc

Hey,

I stripped down one of the latest AndyPad Pro roms, and it works 10 times better than the one mine got shipped with (first release).

What this rooted rom contains:

V1:

• Market (3.x)
  • Latest SuperUser/su binaries - rooted
  • Removed all useless libraries, fonts, libs, apps (only swiftkey is left)
  • Stripped down < 100mb
    V2:
    • Uses newest Music.apk (supports Google Music) - has little font bug due to framework-res.apk
    • Removed more libraries and ringtones (image's now 95mb)
    • Market release from December 12
      • Based on 2.06 bootloader (flashtool will still report 1.65)
      • Added hardware encoding for almost every format (no more software-decode on AVI, H264...) including streaming.
      • Removed omx and opencore libraries
      • Repartitioned mtd tables (now there's 440mb app-space!)
      • Removed SwiftKey (incompatible with newer GL and libraries - sorry)
      • Added patched ChainFire drivers (as an attempt to get Flash to work - still broken, but more games work now)
      • Removed proprietary software (for extended video playback, install mx video player from market, codecs' already included)
      • Smaller tweaks to boot procedure
      • Reduced filesize drastically (to 88mb)
        V4
        • Converted images to ext3 & fixed the rootfs ro flags in init.rc (fully rewritable system now)
          The images became a bit bigger since they're uncompressed, but will be resized in next version.

Download:

Stripped ROM revision 4 (ext3)

Older releases:

Stripped ROM revision 3

Temporary Flash 10.3 fix: download latest apk from your AndyPad browser and install, or install trough adb.

Stripped ROM revision 2

How to install: (Windows only for now, sorry)

[*]Make sure the device is powered-off[*]Keep volume-up pressed an plug the device into your PC's USB (make sure the volume-up is on hold)[*]When the device is not recognized: install the drivers included in the package folder, for the correct architecture (x86 or x64)[*]Open RKAndroidTool.exe (as Administrator)[*]Make sure everything is checked except backup.[*]When coming from an older v3 release (or stock), press Erase IDB and wait upon completion.[*]Press Run[*]Wait until the tablet restarts and says 'Charging', plug out USB and power it on.

(if tablet doesn't respond anymore, you can try 'adb reboot' from commandprompt, with Android SDK installed)[*]Wait until first boot and restart it to make sure everything's installed.

Still on my 'todo'-list:

[*]Add native flash libraries[*]Update EGL drivers[*]Get rid of the ugly AndyPad framework resources

Please report to me if you know how to fix one of these.

Thanks to:

- Lars (for testing newer .so libraries on his Teclast and just because he's a great guy)

- Oxygen-rom team

- The Odys-tablet guys

- Everyone who donated, thanks!

I hope you enjoy this ROM, leave any bugs/suggestions below! I'm sorry for update delays, but I've been really busy with work. :)

post-925744-0-81330200-1324932224_thumb. post-925744-0-54331900-1324932219_thumb.

post-925744-0-39395400-1324932229_thumb. post-925744-0-58969300-1324932233_thumb.

Hi. I just rooted what appears to be a version of Andypad Pro here in the Philippines. However, after flashing the ROM, the proportions of the Android interface are all wrong, as if it was built for a 9" tablet. None of the buttons or the icons can be used or opened. Any thoughts on these?

Guest Csharpe

Hi. I just rooted what appears to be a version of Andypad Pro here in the Philippines. However, after flashing the ROM, the proportions of the Android interface are all wrong, as if it was built for a 9" tablet. None of the buttons or the icons can be used or opened. Any thoughts on these?

So you've flashed this ROM on a device that isn't based off T760 or the AndyPad, but with thesame SoC? This could be because it's using the wrong kernel, and applies a wrong screen resolution. The kernel in this rom is built off 1024x600, but if you have e.g. 800x600 LCD, images will be stretched without a proper kernel for your device. Try flashing it with kernel.img from the ROM that came with your device. In theory, that should work.

Source: https://bitbucket.or...lcd_AT070TNA2.c

#define H_VD                    1024

#define V_VD                    600

Regards,

Csharpe

Edited by Csharpe

Guest wgoulding

Finally got round to putting v4 on my AndyPad Pro last night - first are impressions are excellent. A vast, vast improvement on the stock experience.

Well done! And thanks for a great ROM!

Guest sboh247

apologies if off topic. i dont exactly know alot about rooting on android but i believe successfully installing this ROM effectively means the device is rooted. however i installing titanium backup but it gave me an error when i ran it saying the device isnt rooted.

also, has anyone been able to tether to this device? i have tried tethering from an android phone and a windows mobile phone (ancient! yeah i know) but it just cant find the connection.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Guest Tichy

I had the same error as you sboh247 when using v4. I had to send it back for a repair anyway, so just put Stock ROM back on anyway.

I've got mine back now (or a replacement one anyway) and i'll be sticking on v3b until v4b or v5 comes out.

Is there any news on an update?

Guest Csharpe

Yes, there are some problems in v4 with the rootfs flags, which I still have to change in boot.img...

I just don't have the time right now to work on this :) I'm loaded with work right now.

Maybe in a month or so I can do another update, in meanwhile, for those curious, just uncomment the line in init.rc #rootfs ro, with rw flag instead, that should fix most of the issues.

Keep in mind that init.rc from /etc/ is just a symlink from boot partition but cannot be changed. This needs repacking of the cpio ramdisk.

Edited by Csharpe

Guest sboh247

Yes, there are some problems in v4 with the rootfs flags, which I still have to change in boot.img...

I just don't have the time right now to work on this :) I'm loaded with work right now.

Maybe in a month or so I can do another update, in meanwhile, for those curious, just uncomment the line in init.rc #rootfs ro, with rw flag instead, that should fix most of the issues.

Keep in mind that init.rc from /etc/ is just a symlink from boot partition but cannot be changed. This needs repacking of the cpio ramdisk.

WHAT!!! is that some magic spell from Hogwarts, Mr Harry Potter?? :D I'll just wait for your update. Many thanks for this ROM, muchly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried V4 and it was a little unstable on my t760.

V3b however seems fine - except the touch screen is inverted on the x-axis. To click an app on the top right of the screen I need to click the top left. Plug in a USB mouse and that works as expected.

Is there an easy way to fix that so I can carry on using V3b with my fingers instead of the mouse?

Guest Csharpe

I've tried V4 and it was a little unstable on my t760.

V3b however seems fine - except the touch screen is inverted on the x-axis. To click an app on the top right of the screen I need to click the top left. Plug in a USB mouse and that works as expected.

Is there an easy way to fix that so I can carry on using V3b with my fingers instead of the mouse?

Yeah, v4 seems rather unstable... All I'm waiting for is a new AP release, but it doesn't seem like that'll be soon.

As for the inverted screen, it's due to the inverted driver in the kernel. If you really want to use this specific ROM, you'll have to replace the kernel.img yourself with the official pre-SDK2 release from Teclast.

Although, if you own a T760, there are much better ROMs out there than the one I've put together for AP, simply because the T760 kernel is maintained up to 3.x & has the newer SDK2 implementations (and even beta ICS).

For those T760 roms you can always checkout Slatedroid.

All I would need is the newer Teclast kernel source (the 3.0 sources or higher) so I can easily port Android 4 to AP too... Sadly enough, I'm afraid that's not going to happen.

Yeah, v4 seems rather unstable... All I'm waiting for is a new AP release, but it doesn't seem like that'll be soon.

As for the inverted screen, it's due to the inverted driver in the kernel. If you really want to use this specific ROM, you'll have to replace the kernel.img yourself with the official pre-SDK2 release from Teclast.

Although, if you own a T760, there are much better ROMs out there than the one I've put together for AP, simply because the T760 kernel is maintained up to 3.x & has the newer SDK2 implementations (and even beta ICS).

For those T760 roms you can always checkout Slatedroid.

All I would need is the newer Teclast kernel source (the 3.0 sources or higher) so I can easily port Android 4 to AP too... Sadly enough, I'm afraid that's not going to happen.

I've used the official teclast ROMs and those customized by users of the slatedroid forum - even though they are newer your 3b seems the most stable! ICS 4.03 has a lot, and I mean a lot, of FCs.

I have a pre-SDK2 kernel so will try that over the weekend - thanks for explaining why I'm getting the error.

Can I just select the older kernel when flashing or do I need to change the parameter files to adjust for (pressumably) the different filesizes?

Guest Csharpe

I've used the official teclast ROMs and those customized by users of the slatedroid forum - even though they are newer your 3b seems the most stable! ICS 4.03 has a lot, and I mean a lot, of FCs.

I have a pre-SDK2 kernel so will try that over the weekend - thanks for explaining why I'm getting the error.

Can I just select the older kernel when flashing or do I need to change the parameter files to adjust for (pressumably) the different filesizes?

You don't have to change the parameter file. There's a 16MB block for the kernel which should be plenty of space.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sboh247

hi Csharpe, i know you mentioned you have a lot work to do at the moment and i understand that. i am just hoping to get the update you mentioned soon. pls don't give up on the andypad yet. thanks.

Guest Csharpe

Hey guys, I know it's been a while... I've been working on Boot To Gecko and some other OS.

I got hold of Astralix again and he got most of the kernel code cleaned up & working for the Odys loox.

He's now helping me port it to AP so we can use CM9/AOSP ICS and other roms, as with a working kernel we can make it run anything (in theory).

Expect some results. (soon, I hope)