[ROM][GEN2] Swedish Snow RLS7 (Android 2.3.5)

Guest KonstaT

Guest HeartMode

Facebook's app is a crap, try FBM for facebook, the only thing it doesn't do yet is to upload the photos.

+1 for that!

Got to try FBM. Thanks! :)

More opinions on this?

By this order of ideas the system will be faster with less cache partition because RAM is faster then NAND?

It won't be faster, you just have more space on the phone.

Guest HeartMode

It won't be faster, you just have more space on the phone.

Hmm i get it... but still it forces the ram to work harder no? because it has to deal with both system and cache...

Thats how i see it.. could be wrong.

still i have no problemas with having a tpt with low app space 'cause i don't use many apps.

thanks for the tips!

Guest MidaMilunk

Facebook's app is a crap, try FBM for facebook, the only thing it doesn't do yet is to upload the photos.

What about FriendCaster for FB? IMHO it is better than FBM, not mentioning FBforA, which is really a shame for its programers!

Guest adrianomm

Hello to all from a Brazilian user!

First I would like to say that I have installed RLS3 and it is a very good rom. Everything works fine. I have two Chinese blades (a white and a gray one) with 256Mb of ram and they are really working very fast with Swedish snow. I would like to thank this forum and the developers very much.

Anyway, I have a question. When I installed RLS2 the first time on my white blade I realized the touchscreen did not work at all. So I flash the stock kernel and everything works fine. The same happened with RLS3.

I did the same with my gray blade and I did not need to flash the stock kernel. The touchscreen works with the RLS3 standand kernel. It appears that the blades are different, not only in color, but also in hardware.

Back to my question: is it possible to make the touchscreen work on my white blade with the kernel used on RLS3 (or 4), so I do not need to flash the stock kernel? The problem is that the stock kernel is not undervolted and does not have support for overclock or 2-way-recording, so I lose some great features I have in the other gray chinese blade.

Thank you in advance,

Adriano

Guest KonstaT

Hello KonstaT,

Sorry for asking but I'm still at the beginning of Android development.

Why a TPT with 2 Mb cache? I've created my own TPT with 37 and 9 are occupied with this ROM.

Is this relevant? Should we increase the cache partition to improve performance?

Thanks

In this case your cache goes to the actual /cache NAND partition. Cache is directed to RAMdisk only if /cache partition is smaller than 20000kb.

Basically only things that are stored in the cache are market downloads and some logs that clockworkmod writes. It gets emptied at every boot anyway. You must have just downloaded something from the market. Most of the time /cache is empty and having large NAND partition for that is just plain waste of space.

What comes to performance, I think RAM is faster than NAND anyway. NAND would be safer in terms of corruption if cache would be more widely used. There also might be small impact on battery performance if RAMdisk would be more actively used. In normal use (where cache is hardly ever user) neither of these can really be considered as issues.

If you have large /cache NAND partition, it's best to keep your cache there. If you want to have benefits from better partitioning, cache can be directed to RAMdisk without issues. This ROM can handle both scenarios. ;)

@KonstaT: New patches arrived to the kernel to fix the WiFi b/g issue (and maybe more). If you're not in the middle of building RLS5 please take a look at it. I don't know if it's for CM7 only (yet) or is it usable with ROMs based on the latest gingerbread update.

Thanks!

No, I'm not in the middle of making RLS5. :P I have almost nothing done and very few new ideas.

I'm not in a hurry with the RLS5. I'd rather release something stable (if I decide to release it). Plan is to include the new kernel in the next release, but there are still couple of things that need to be taken care of. I'm really not a kernel developer so it's not entirely in my hands.

Guest KonstaT

First I would like to say that I have installed RLS3 and it is a very good rom. Everything works fine. I have two Chinese blades (a white and a gray one) with 256Mb of ram and they are really working very fast with Swedish snow. I would like to thank this forum and the developers very much.

Anyway, I have a question. When I installed RLS2 the first time on my white blade I realized the touchscreen did not work at all. So I flash the stock kernel and everything works fine. The same happened with RLS3.

I did the same with my gray blade and I did not need to flash the stock kernel. The touchscreen works with the RLS3 standand kernel. It appears that the blades are different, not only in color, but also in hardware.

Back to my question: is it possible to make the touchscreen work on my white blade with the kernel used on RLS3 (or 4), so I do not need to flash the stock kernel? The problem is that the stock kernel is not undervolted and does not have support for overclock or 2-way-recording, so I lose some great features I have in the other gray chinese blade.

Thank you in advance,

Adriano

You could try a kernel that is based on the latest source code that ZTE released.

Try burstlam's kernel. It's not undervolted, but should have rest of the features that custom kernels usually have.

Guest agpoli

Hmm i get it... but still it forces the ram to work harder no? because it has to deal with both system and cache...

Thats how i see it.. could be wrong.

still i have no problemas with having a tpt with low app space 'cause i don't use many apps.

thanks for the tips!

The RAM will work harder, but from the technology side of things it's a LOT more durable than NAND Flash.

And a LOT faster too.

Guest agpoli

No, I'm not in the middle of making RLS5. :P I have almost nothing done and very few new ideas.

I'm not in a hurry with the RLS5. I'd rather release something stable (if I decide to release it). Plan is to include the new kernel in the next release, but there are still couple of things that need to be taken care of. I'm really not a kernel developer so it's not entirely in my hands.

If you need a non-public RLS5 pretester just PM me I will gladly help wink.gif

Besides I'm not a software developer I'm more interested in hardware.

MoDaCo is soooooo slow here, it's taking ages to load a page sad.gif I think I will play with the Win8 CP for the rest of the day.

Edited by agpoli

Guest DarkCrono

Thank you in advance,

Adriano

There is a trick.

Every time you reboot, the srceen can become responsive or not, It's random. If it do not response, take of your battery, put it back, enter recovery and Wipe Dalvik's cache. Reboot, and it will work.

Guest squee666

i switched to cm7 and its runs smoother for me in menus executing apps etc.

Only problem i see is it lags more in games the RLS3 for some reason?

Guest youngsta2010

Can someone answer me a quick question, I want to use link2sd instead of dta2sd do I have to completely remove dta2sd, and if so how do I remove it, or can I just install link2sd? Also from terminal do I type a2sd nocache to move it to internal storage or a2sd cachepart to move it to cache partition? I did the 160mb TPT so have a 2mb cache partition, it's just a bit confusing, is dta2sd going to move the dalvik on boot or is the ROM going to do it normally? I hope you understand what I mean! Thanks for any help.

edit: Wow I really need to read the thread before I post! :D @kubiczek I would like to know the same. ;)

Edited by youngsta2010

Guest KonstaT

Can someone answer me a quick question, I want to use link2sd instead of dta2sd do I have to completely remove dta2sd, and if so how do I remove it, or can I just install link2sd? Also from terminal do I type a2sd nocache to move it to internal storage or a2sd cachepart to move it to cache partition? I did the 160mb TPT so have a 2mb cache partition, it's just a bit confusing, is dta2sd going to move the dalvik on boot or is the ROM going to do it normally? I hope you understand what I mean! Thanks for any help.

edit: Wow I really need to read the thread before I post! :D @kubiczek I would like to know the same. ;)

Don't do anything to move dalvik cache using dta2sd. Darktremor A2SD only automatically moves your apps (/data/app and /data/app-private) to your sdcard (symlinks sd-ext mounted to /system/sd). It does nothing to your dalvik cache and it should be never moved to sd anyway.

Run 'su' and 'a2sd remove' in terminal. Remove /system/etc/init.d/04dtapp file and reboot. This should move your apps back to internal storage and stop a2sd script from running at boot. Might be best to make nandroid backup first just in case...

Guest youngsta2010

Thanks unfortunately I already moved the dalvik via a2sd cachesd, phone seems to be ok I've been using it like that for a few days. I then did a2sd nocache and a2sd remove. Shall I just remove the script now or? Thank you for helping.

Guest V_dur

Ahoj!

I´ve got "second hand" ZTE Blade (British Orange San Francisco, my first smartphone), with Android v. 2.2, ROM Swedish Spring RLS5 (kernel version 2.6.32.9-perf).

I´m beginner in the "Android world", so I´d like to ask you about main differences between Swedish Spring RLS5 and Swedish Snow RLS4b (from the point of view of "green user"), because of my plan to upgrade...

Sorry for my "Slovak English" :-)

Thanks!

V_dur

Guest twmnmik

hello

it's a great rom

i have one problem(the same problem i had with the blade mix 360)

after 10 days my screen started lightning for 2-3 seconds without a reason (open and close for 2-3 seconds)

any solution?

anyone?

Guest matje103

Ahoj!

I´ve got "second hand" ZTE Blade (British Orange San Francisco, my first smartphone), with Android v. 2.2, ROM Swedish Spring RLS5 (kernel version 2.6.32.9-perf).

I´m beginner in the "Android world", so I´d like to ask you about main differences between Swedish Spring RLS5 and Swedish Snow RLS4b (from the point of view of "green user"), because of my plan to upgrade...

Thanks!

V_dur

is RLS5 even released?

Guest adonwenas

Sorry oot..

Just another suggestion....

Can we put automatic sd/media scan on our blade like samsung does...

So everytimes after we download or transfer media it automatically scan, so we dont need to reboot phone to get media/galery/music well.... :wub:

sent from V880 using Tapatalk

Edited by adonwenas

Guest KonstaT

Thanks unfortunately I already moved the dalvik via a2sd cachesd, phone seems to be ok I've been using it like that for a few days. I then did a2sd nocache and a2sd remove. Shall I just remove the script now or? Thank you for helping.

Should be fine. Look into /system/sd, it should be empty. Then it should be ok to remove the script.

Ahoj!

Thanks!

V_dur

Well, the main difference would be that Swedish Spring is froyo (android 2.2) and Swedish Snow is gingerbread (android 2.3). There is also quite a few added features in this ROM that I've listed in the first post.

Sorry oot..

Just another suggestion....

Can we put automatic sd/media scan on our blade like samsung does...

So everytimes after we download or transfer media it automatically scan, so we dont need to reboot phone to get media/galery/music well.... :wub:

There already is automatic media scan. :o

There are apps in the market that can disable/re-enable/manually invoke media scan.

Guest bladebuddy

Konsta could you please tell me If moving the dalvic to the sd card can cause harm. I know it puts a lot of strain on the sd card so it probably will not last as long. Also removing the sd will stop the phone form working but apart from that is there any other harm I might be doing as I have moved my dalvic to the sd card thanks j

Guest KonstaT

Konsta could you please tell me If moving the dalvic to the sd card can cause harm. I know it puts a lot of strain on the sd card so it probably will not last as long. Also removing the sd will stop the phone form working but apart from that is there any other harm I might be doing as I have moved my dalvic to the sd card thanks j

In addition to that it will slow down your phone. SD cards are significantly slower than internal NAND and dalvik cache is regularly accessed when you use your phone.

If you're not really running out of space, it is not recommended to move dalvik cache into sdcard.

Guest jeffers_y1k

Hi, I have noticed that emails get displayed by sent date and time order and that if there is no date/time then 1/1/70 is used.

These mails then end up at the bottom of the inbox and can be missed.

Is there anyway to get the email app to sort by received date/time not sent date/time?