[ROM][GEN2] Swedish Snow RLS7 (Android 2.3.5)

Guest KonstaT

Guest the_fox

Hi, all, I've been using KonstaT's roms for a while now, currently running Swedish Snow rls6 on the phone I'm having the problem with. I'm currently looking into audio-streaming apps and stumbled upon Audiogalaxy (since my subsonic free license expired) and I'm having the following problem: the app keeps telling me it can't connect to the audiogalaxy servers.

This seems to be a quite common problem since audiogalaxy has been listed in some ad-block apps. But I checked my hosts-file and it isn't in there. I can also resolver the (correct) IP for audiogalaxy.com & www.audiogalaxy.com (tested by pinging in terminal emulator). I can also surf to audiogalaxy.com from the browser. Yet the app won't connect.

Anyone got any ideas where I should look? As far as I know AdFree just edits the hosts file, and that doesn't seem to be the problem...

Guest AndroiDemon

Had this release on my blade for a while now. Hands down the best customized stock ROM about.

Hey did you have some gaming experience. I tried lane splitter and it crashed badly.. any idea how to fix this up?

thanks in advance

Guest the_fox

Hi, all, I've been using KonstaT's roms for a while now, currently running Swedish Snow rls6 on the phone I'm having the problem with. I'm currently looking into audio-streaming apps and stumbled upon Audiogalaxy (since my subsonic free license expired) and I'm having the following problem: the app keeps telling me it can't connect to the audiogalaxy servers.

This seems to be a quite common problem since audiogalaxy has been listed in some ad-block apps. But I checked my hosts-file and it isn't in there. I can also resolver the (correct) IP for audiogalaxy.com & www.audiogalaxy.com (tested by pinging in terminal emulator). I can also surf to audiogalaxy.com from the browser. Yet the app won't connect.

Anyone got any ideas where I should look? As far as I know AdFree just edits the hosts file, and that doesn't seem to be the problem...

Seemed to be an Audiogalaxy problem, their support team fixed it. I asked for a bit more info, will update this post if I get it (for future reference/troubleshooting)

[edit]To quote the Audiogalaxy people: "It was a problem on our end."...

Edited by the_fox

Guest StaleFish

Hey did you have some gaming experience. I tried lane splitter and it crashed badly.. any idea how to fix this up?

thanks in advance

Just to say -- I've ran Lane Splitters on RLS7 without any problem at all.

Guest AndroiDemon

Just to say -- I've ran Lane Splitters on RLS7 without any problem at all.

which version of blade do you have. I have India version with 256 mb internal memory. Does that make any difference?

Guest MariusCheek

Hi KonstaT, I just wanted to say a big thank you for this excellent ROM!

I got my Blade last June, and started modding it enthusiastically. I must have flashed 20 ROMs in the first month! Then the niggles started. It became apparent that I wasn't going to find a 2.3 ROM which didn't have something broken, like the proximity or the bluetooth. Even CM7 and GSF were very disappointing. I settled on the very good Swedish Spring 5, which was really reliable and everything worked at least as well as the stock Orange firmware.

The last week I checked back at Modaco for the first time in ages, and found this new ROM of yours. I was a bit dubious, especially about the ever problematic proximity issues, but I flashed it and after a worrying bootloop issue (fixed by a format in CWM) everything went well.

THIS IS FANTASTIC! Finally a Gingerbread ROM with everything working 'out of the box'! It's smooth, reliable and fast, exactly as it should be. I even flashed CM7 again for comparison, and Swedish Snow kicks it's backside on Angry Birds and is much faster to get my position in GoogleMaps, for example.

Excellent work, thank you so much! I was getting a bit bored of my Blade, but this has given it a new lease of life!

Cheers, and I'll be watching more closely from now on for any new stuff (you're not working on a ICS for Blade are you?)

Marius

Guest betaboxmd

Hm, I maybe have a problem with this rom. Since I haven't used GPS up until today, I couldn't notice it. I am still not sure if it's one time problem or not. When I turned on GPS I lost carrier signal, and afterwards when I turned GPS off again I would lose carrier signal from time to time, now I have rebooted phone and I have carrier signal. Also I had one reboot while I was using GPS. :S Did anyone else had this kind of problems??

1.May.2012 EDIT: I definitely have a problem with using GPS on this rom. After using GPS I can connect to my carrier signal but soon it's lost again until I reboot. Rom is otherwise great, but this is kinda a problem for me. I did all the wipes as told in first post.

Same problem with RLS6 and Stock-Kernel-Gen2. Power Widget shows mobile data is ON, but on statusbar mobile data icon 2G/3G/H dissapears.

I can reactiviate 2G/3G if switching mobile data OFF and ON again on Power Widget.

This problem caused by the SIM Card.

I tested it with different Roms on 2 ZTE Blades with 6 SIM cards of 3 different providers and I can reproduce this error with only one specific SIM card (Austrian YESSS, 1st gerneration SIM card, 0699....)

Solution : Try to add APN Type : default,supl in APN Settings

This fix my problem with this specific SIM card.

Edited by betaboxmd

Guest AndroiDemon

Guys i have tried all to run a simple game like lane splitter on this ROM. it just crashes. I have noticed one thing that when you reboot the phone and try the game it does run for a while but later crashes. after phone is used for a while game does not even load and crashes. Guys and developer team pleas help, if this can work on stock froyo why cant it on ss ginger bread.

Guest jonmac73

Not tried Lane Splitter, but have plenty of others installed all working fine back to original version of SS and other GB roms also.

Such as Angry Birds, Flick Golf, Total Pool.

Have you overclocked to a high level ? Try a few levels down.

Any other problem apps or just a few individual games ? Any working games ?

Is the phone otherwise stable ?

Tried complete re-flash ? i.e. complete wipe. Doesn't take long if you have all apps backed up with Titanium.

Guest KonstaT

Guys i have tried all to run a simple game like lane splitter on this ROM. it just crashes. I have noticed one thing that when you reboot the phone and try the game it does run for a while but later crashes. after phone is used for a while game does not even load and crashes. Guys and developer team pleas help, if this can work on stock froyo why cant it on ss ginger bread.

Wow, I'm a developer team now. :D

This has been answered to you already couple of times. It seems that you're having low memory issues because your device only has 256mb of RAM. Try creating swap partition on your sdcard and activate it using darktremor. If you search this thread for 'swap' you'll find instructions like this how to do it.

Guest PM_CZ

Im using now my Blade with rls6 ...like a couple of people i have this issue with battery life in rls 7, i tested the rom twice, i installed 3 times already, wiped everything ,calibrated battery, but...no joy ..13 hours, and with rls6 i have no problems for 2 days....im not understanding this....sorry.

I noticed that others not have this problem and a few have it.....i dont know , maybe its something with the hardware of the phone...i have a 2011 blade...

I can confirm the same behaviour on my black TFT OSF (TPTed from V1 to V2 a year ago). I did not use RLS6, but the change from RLS3 to RLS7 brought the same problem. However, I suspect the WiFi driver is the culprit since after turning the WiFi off (when not on external power) during the sleep the battery leakage slowed down. Maybe the WiFi chipset does not go into the sleep mode when staying connected like in the old times of 2.2 ROMS? I use the "new" kernel shipped with this ROM.

Guest Acti0nHank

Hello, i am trying to change the maximum resolution of sent mms for this rom.

I use Android Commander to pull mms.apk, then extract mms_config.xml with winrar.

I then use HxD to change the max width and height values, reinsert mms_config.xml into mms.apk and push that into my phone.

This method works but only if i keep width and height values within three digits. That is max 999 pixels each. Default values are 640x480.

If i try to add another byte for a four digit resoution, 1024x768 for example, the messaging app automatically crashes.

Can anyone think of a method to make this work?

Guest AndroiDemon

Wow, I'm a developer team now. :D

This has been answered to you already couple of times. It seems that you're having low memory issues because your device only has 256mb of RAM. Try creating swap partition on your sdcard and activate it using darktremor. If you search this thread for 'swap' you'll find instructions like this how to do it.

Thanks for the reply.. i shall try your solution.

Guest KonstaT

Hello, i am trying to change the maximum resolution of sent mms for this rom.

I use Android Commander to pull mms.apk, then extract mms_config.xml with winrar.

I then use HxD to change the max width and height values, reinsert mms_config.xml into mms.apk and push that into my phone.

This method works but only if i keep width and height values within three digits. That is max 999 pixels each. Default values are 640x480.

If i try to add another byte for a four digit resoution, 1024x768 for example, the messaging app automatically crashes.

Can anyone think of a method to make this work?

That actually worked? :o You got pretty far with just a hexeditor. :)

You should use apktool to decompile the Mms.apk. Make you modifications to res/xml/mms_config.xml and compile again with apktool. Use signapk to sign the new Mms.apk with test key and push to phone.

Guest Acti0nHank

That actually worked? :o You got pretty far with just a hexeditor. :)

You should use apktool to decompile the Mms.apk. Make you modifications to res/xml/mms_config.xml and compile again with apktool. Use signapk to sign the new Mms.apk with test key and push to phone.

Thank you for the reply!

I tried the method you described but unfortunately my compiled and signed Mms.apk files dont work. The phone says "Could not launch the requested activity." when i try to open the messaging app.

The new Mms.apk i compile with apktool is almost 5 MB while the original is only ~700 KB.

I also used a program signapk.jar instead of the one in your link since i dont know how to use the latter. I signed my Mms.apk file with both testkey.x509.pem and testkey.pk8 from your test key link.

Guest KonstaT

Thank you for the reply!

I tried the method you described but unfortunately my compiled and signed Mms.apk files dont work. The phone says "Could not launch the requested activity." when i try to open the messaging app.

The new Mms.apk i compile with apktool is almost 5 MB while the original is only ~700 KB.

I also used a program signapk.jar instead of the one in your link since i dont know how to use the latter. I signed my Mms.apk file with both testkey.x509.pem and testkey.pk8 from your test key link.

Yeah sorry, signapk.jar is exactly what I meant. I just quickly googled sigapk and that was the first thing what came up. :P

I guess something went wrong with apktool. The new file should be about the same size. Did it give you any errors decompiling/compiling?

Use

apktool d original-file.apk foldername
[/CODE] to decompile, and
[CODE]
apktool b foldername new-file.apk
to compile. To sign apk:

java -jar signapk.jar testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 new-file.apk new-file-signed.apk
[/code]

Guest Acti0nHank

Yeah sorry, signapk.jar is exactly what I meant. I just quickly googled sigapk and that was the first thing what came up. :P

I guess something went wrong with apktool. The new file should be about the same size. Did it give you any errors decompiling/compiling?

Use

apktool d original-file.apk foldername

to decompile, and

apktool b foldername new-file.apk

to compile. To sign apk:

java -jar signapk.jar testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 new-file.apk new-file-signed.apk

Victory!

I used your method and the compilation went right this time. Now i can send mms of resolution 1536x2048 with the default messaging app. Thank you very much for helping me with this.

Im curious why someone would make phones that takes nice pictures but only send at very small resolutons. Im thinking that defeats the purpose of a high resolution camera.

Anyhoo, good work on your rom. I really like its speed and simplicity.

Guest KonstaT

@KonstaT:

can you please update the Toggle2G plugin to v0.2.4? :)

SS-RLS7-Toggle2G-0.2.4.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?4wyxga1wgj1as7d

MD5:AC57C96D0BD3398C3BBF7AA969D80D89

For future reference, you'll only need to sign the updated Toggle2G.apk with test key and push it to phone. Everything you need to know to do this is in the couple of previous posts. :)

Guest camille1462

Hi

I'm still running RLS6 and I'm very happy with it.

I just found out that I cannot download any attachement from my gmail account: is it normal? It works and is very quick on my girlfriend's ZTE Crescent...

Thanks

Guest onlyonee

Hi!

Help me please, can I install Swedish Snow over Moldovan Mile-High-Mountain-Pie (on ZTE Blade 256mb) without wipe data/factory reset to save my settings and apps?

Edited by onlyonee