[ROM] CyanogenMod 7.2 | Kernel 2.6.32 | Camera works

Guest pier11

I just flashed the latest rom (28/01). Installed neocore just fine. But the benchmark only gives me 22.x fps... Shouldn't it be around 29? I thought that was the usual outcome when using kernel .32?

Another thing: compcache isn't supported by the kernel, right? Just noticed it's at 18% by default but 'free' only shows zeros in 'swap'. If I remember correcly, compache would show up as swap.

For the performance hungry: "Cyanogenmod Settings -> Performance -> Use 16 bit transparency -> enable" will increase perceived UI responsiveness a lot. Also in fps2d the average fps will raise from ~22 to ~29

I just flashed the latest rom (28/01). Installed neocore just fine. But the benchmark only gives me 22.x fps... Shouldn't it be around 29? I thought that was the usual outcome when using kernel .32?

fps=29 was with older openGL lib, where proper (?) test which renders 3d action in a city was not possible. That test rendered only spontaneous flashes of light.

With the updated lib, when complex graphics were able to be rendered properly, on stock cpu frequency (528) it gives 23+ fps. (If overclock to 710 - 25+ fps).

Another thing: compcache isn't supported by the kernel, right? Just noticed it's at 18% by default but 'free' only shows zeros in 'swap'. If I remember correcly, compache would show up as swap.

Valid point. Am I correct that it directly relates to ramzswap? If so, rom still holds incompatible kernel module from .29 kernel...

EDIT3:

this is my 'free'. Is swap used? It's not zero. u8230 have twice more RAM...

total 		used 		free   	shared  	buffers

Mem:    	107292   	101672 		5620        	0   		32

-/+ buffers:     		101640 		5652

Swap:    	62532    	22508    	40024

EDIT:

For the performance hungry: "Cyanogenmod Settings -> Performance -> Use 16 bit transparency -> enable" will increase perceived UI responsiveness a lot. Also in fps2d the average fps will raise from ~22 to ~29

yes, I got fps 29 on Fps2D. (was 22 before that). Great find.

Trying to convince myself that scrolling became smoother. May be not big enough change to notice.

EDIT2:

interesting that overclocked to 710, frps2d still gives 29fps... (same as on stock freq)

Edited by pier11

Fps2D autor writes:

Normal results are: avg 58-60fps

User comments:

HA! 55 on my mediocre HTC Hero. Cyanogen w/ LPP.

Hahahaha, on my Htc Tattoo with stock 1.6 android - average 70 fps!!! :-p

Not sure if the benchmark works/is useful. I have a rooted G1 and it got 60fps, sd 8.5ish, which is beating some evos... strange.

59 avg on my 2 year old G1 rooted with 2.1 Eclair

77 avg on rooted HTC tattoo, original Rom with sense

74fps on my ideos u8150 greater beter or smaler???

Works exactly as advertized. 52 fps on rooted, overclocked G1 running CompleteEclair 2.2.1

60 fps on my Sprint CDMA Hero oc'd to 768 mhz on froyo. Take that, snapdragon users. :P

70fps on HTC Tattoo running 1.6.

On the other hand my test on duo core phone 1GHz+ in mobile shop gave me 33fps. Go figure

fps=29 was with older openGL lib, where proper (?) test which renders 3d action in a city was not possible. That test rendered only spontaneous flashes of light.

With the updated lib, when complex graphics were able to be rendered properly, on stock cpu frequency (528) it gives 23+ fps. (If overclock to 710 - 25+ fps).

Thanks for clarifying this!

yes, I got fps 29 on Fps2D. (was 22 before that). Great find.

Trying to convince myself that scrolling became smoother. May be not big enough change to notice.

Scrolling was fast before. I didn't see much difference there. But it seems to me that it uses less RAM now (Home screen sometimes stays in memory when entering and leaving settings. Previously, as I remember, it had to be reloaded almost every time). A

t least for me. My sd card has no swap partition.

Regarding compcache I believe it is ramzswap.ko but I'm not sure.

Edited by dr.flo

My sd card has no swap partition.

mine does.

I enabled swap in kernel initially.

don't know how compcache works.Does it use the same swap partition? ot some other file as a cache...

As a side note I started to see that ridiculous encrypted loop mounts of native a2sd if run 'mount' command. Kinda works.

/dev/block/dm-0 on /mnt/asec/com.qualcomm.qx.neocore-1 type vfat (ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

don't know how compcache works.Does it use the same swap partition? ot some other file as a cache...

All I know about compcache is what I've read here. Basically compcache reserves a region of RAM and puts compressed swap into there. It is therefore a faster swap than swap on sdcard. But of course compression/decompression takes CPU time, and since compression ratio is limited, you don't gain as much additional ram as with "real" swap.

All I know about compcache is what I've read here. Basically compcache reserves a region of RAM and puts compressed swap into there. It is therefore a faster swap than swap on sdcard. But of course compression/decompression takes CPU time, and since compression ratio is limited, you don't gain as much additional ram as with "real" swap.

Nice link, right to the point.

Looks in the moment if one needs swap (a normal one, not a compcache), making swap partition on sd card will make it work (as in my case).

compcache:

u8150 inofficial cm72 from there has differently named module "zram.ko" in system/modules/zram.ko (no kernel version dir).

This should work with our kernel

See compcache script where it looks for either ramzswap or zram module. Since we run u8150 kernel, we should be fine with zram.ko I believe.

isramzswap="$(find /system/lib/modules/ -name ramzswap.ko 2>/dev/null)"

isramzswapbuiltin="$(ls -l /dev/block/ramzswap0 2>/dev/null)"

if [ -n "$isramzswap$isramzswapbuiltin" ] ; then

MODULE=ramzswap

DEV=/dev/block/ramzswap0

else

DEV=/dev/block/zram0

MODULE=zram

SYSFS_PATH=/sys/block/zram0

fi

To give perspective

Fps2D:

Samsung Galaxy S2: 59 fps

DROID RAZR MAXX: 59 fps

Galaxy Nexus (ICS, kernel 3.0.8): 58 fps

That are my own tests in mobile carrier shop - Verizon.

... and in comparison I think current Pulse performance, overclocked to 710 MHz, is good enough.

Edited by pier11

Nice link, right to the point.

Looks in the moment if one needs swap (a normal one, not a compcache), making swap partition on sd card will make it work (as in my case).

Without any a2sd script running, I have swap 0 with the partition. I've assumed I needed DT A2SD running to get swap running. How have you started swap?

Without any a2sd script running, I have swap 0 with the partition. I've assumed I needed DT A2SD running to get swap running. How have you started swap?

It's kinda automatically started. I know cause when I tried to change swappy it said that swap wasn't running, but when I typed free, swap was activated.

compcache is not functional yet.

but if one have swap partition on sd card. Looks like it automatically gets utilized. I did nothing for that and have swap - see my post above...

Guest sun lbx

Well, I finally got the idea :)

In this CM7 build we have background-blur effect when popup/dialog windows or menus show up.

That effect is very CPU- and GPU-demanding.

VERY

The perfomance of the ROM is always outstanding BUT for the cases of that fuсking bluring.

The idea is to find somewhere in the sources/configs some kind of switch that forces background-dimming effect and disables the background-blur (just like in our CM6)

I hope that would be not very difficult to find & tune.

Well, I finally got the idea :)

In this CM7 build we have background-blur effect when popup/dialog windows or menus show up.

That effect is very CPU- and GPU-demanding.

VERY

The perfomance of the ROM is always outstanding BUT for the cases of that fuсking bluring.

The idea is to find somewhere in the sources/configs some kind of switch that forces background-dimming effect and disables the background-blur (just like in our CM6)

I hope that would be not very difficult to find & tune.

is it turned off in CM6?

and why is it working in Eclair 2.1? Does it?..

Guest sun lbx

Well, in my u8230 stock rom it was enabled...just to give the same sluggish feeling

In our CM6 I've seen no background-blur in the system UI

..only in some 3rd party apps maybe, as a part of their UI

try this:

Menu>Settings>Display>Animation

“No animations”

Does it help, do you think?

http://www.droid-lif...e-droid-bionic/

EDIT:

I'm guessing it's not blur effect that slows the phone but the gradual fade in/out. Looks turning off animations removed that fades in/out, so to me UI looks more responsive now. How about you?

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=00f925c20e2b95d1&hl=en

Edited by pier11

It's kinda automatically started. I know cause when I tried to change swappy it said that swap wasn't running, but when I typed free, swap was activated.

Not here. I have my standard SD card swap partition as always. After installing just the rom and gapps, "free" showed 0 swap.

Are you guys using DT A2SD still? If not, something else? Have you done a fresh install (after a full wipe), or are you installing on top of a previous system (with stuff left over)?

Not here. I have my standard SD card swap partition as always. After installing just the rom and gapps, "free" showed 0 swap.

Are you guys using DT A2SD still? If not, something else? Have you done a fresh install (after a full wipe), or are you installing on top of a previous system (with stuff left over)?

- full wipe

- DT A2SD installed, but nothing configured manually after... (Didn't check specifically how it was with data2ext)

@sun lbx,

man with "no animations" it flies like Galaxy Nexus (I played today with) !

if you won't like UI responsiveness after that, I will throw my Pulse at you :)