[ROM] CyanogenMod 7.2 | Kernel 2.6.32 | Camera works

Guest pier11

- full wipe

- DT A2SD installed, but nothing configured manually after... (Didn't check specifically how it was with data2ext)

Ah, yes, with DT installed, swap will automatically start. I was trying to figure out how to get swap working without DT. Since so many people are recommending not pre-installing DT, I thought I'd try to find alternatives.

I'm guessing Data2ext doesn't start swap either. From my reading of the script, it only deals with moving the stuff that would be in the /data partition over to the SD card. Nothing about swap that I can see. Also, adjusting swappiness and lowmem settings are going to require an alternative as well. Yeah, I'm not yet convinced there is a better alternative to pre-installing DT.

@sun lbx,

man with "no animations" it flies like Galaxy Nexus (I played today with) !

if you won't like UI responsiveness after that, I will throw my Pulse at you :)

I always disable all animations for the system and apps like the Launcher. Eye-candy is "nice", but a real waste of CPU/GPU for no good reason. Without animations, there is always the perception that the phone is much faster.

I always disable all animations for the system and apps like the Launcher. Eye-candy is "nice", but a real waste of CPU/GPU for no good reason. Without animations, there is always the perception that the phone is much faster.

Was animation disabled out of box in your Roms?

That might tricked 'sun lbx' that 2D performance in CM6 is much better.

No, I don't know how to "pre-disable" animations in the rom. (I would do it if I knew how though.) It is just something I do myself immediately after booting a new rom.

Both Settings>Display and Spare Parts have places to disable animations. ADWLauncher also has animations to turn off.

Ah, yes, with DT installed, swap will automatically start. I was trying to figure out how to get swap working without DT. Since so many people are recommending not pre-installing DT, I thought I'd try to find alternatives.

I'm guessing Data2ext doesn't start swap either. From my reading of the script, it only deals with moving the stuff that would be in the /data partition over to the SD card. Nothing about swap that I can see. Also, adjusting swappiness and lowmem settings are going to require an alternative as well. Yeah, I'm not yet convinced there is a better alternative to pre-installing DT.

to enable swap, considering traditional sd card formatting: fat32-ext-swap:

swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

compcache:

u8150 inofficial cm72 from there has differently named module "zram.ko" in system/modules/zram.ko (no kernel version dir).

This should work with our kernel

See compcache script where it looks for either ramzswap or zram module. Since we run u8150 kernel, we should be fine with zram.ko I believe.

isramzswap="$(find /system/lib/modules/ -name ramzswap.ko 2>/dev/null)"

isramzswapbuiltin="$(ls -l /dev/block/ramzswap0 2>/dev/null)"

if [ -n "$isramzswap$isramzswapbuiltin" ] ; then

MODULE=ramzswap

DEV=/dev/block/ramzswap0

else

DEV=/dev/block/zram0

MODULE=zram

SYSFS_PATH=/sys/block/zram0

fi

tried that. It needs LZO decompress in kernel as well. Won't insmod as is.

Actually I want to compile zram from source.

zram is a successor of ramzswap...

tried that. It needs LZO decompress in kernel as well. Won't insmod as is.

Actually I want to compile zram from source.

zram is a successor of ramzswap...

I wonder: how much space is left in kernel (regarding the boot.img?). I don't know much about kernels. Once we run out of space, would it be possible to extract some part and provide it as a kernel module (like wifi driver, or that zram stuff)?

Guest sun lbx

ANIMATION (moving/sliding windows, etc.) was enabled out of box all the time in all roms we had :)

But in cm6 we didn't have the blur behind little windows/menus

If you'll press the power button, you'll see the power menu.

It appears sluggishly because the background (home screen/some running app) under the menu is heavily blured and darkened. And that's slow.

In cm6 we had only darkening of the background without bluring. :)

So the animations were all on in CM6, but the blur effect was disabled. And that was damned smooth. :)

This time i tried to explain clearer :)

Understood. So the conclusion is that gingerbread default animations are more eye candy, and therefore more cpu demanding than froyo animations. We might have to live with turning them off. Or discover a way to reset animations back to froyo style. Right?

The other thing - have you tested enabling 16 bit transparency and see if that restores the performance of your game to the known level? I'd expect that, since doing so returns the fps2d benchmark from 22 to 29 fps, which is the score it gets on CM6

Edited by dr.flo

ANIMATION (moving/sliding windows, etc.) was enabled out of box all the time in all roms we had :)

But in cm6 we didn't have the blur behind little windows/menus

If you'll press the power button, you'll see the power menu.

It appears sluggishly because the background (home screen/some running app) under the menu is heavily blured and darkened. And that's slow.

In cm6 we had only darkening of the background without bluring. :)

So the animations were all on in CM6, but the blur effect was disabled. And that was damned smooth. :)

OK, you want both animations and lightning fast user interface :-)

and to achieve that we need to somehow disable just blur effect, understood.

Just turning off animation is not good for you.... Did you try?

Guest desalesouche

hi all, what is the size of swap needed in sd ext2-swap partition to be able to have swap on? i have a class 6 sd.

Edited by desalesouche

Guest lloco73

from titanium backup if i try to restore wifi accespoints wifi just don't work. Does anyone have same issue?

About recovery i've made some tests and think that the problem resides on boot partition, maybe not kernel specific but in init.rc?

Guest sun lbx

...discover a way to reset animations back to froyo style. Right?

Yes :)

The ROM is really great, but that woluld make it perfect

I suppose it's a matter of some flag somewhere in the sources

But until that it's just better to keep them disabled :)

Edited by sun lbx

Yes :)

The ROM is really great, but that woluld make it perfect

I suppose it's a matter of some flag somewhere in the sources

But until that it's just better to keep them disabled :)

how's the 2d performance in mx moto now? with 16 bit transparency? after all we can't just do "disable animations" there...

Guest sun lbx

how's the 2d performance in mx moto now? with 16 bit transparency? after all we can't just do "disable animations" there...

MX Moto performs the same. :(

I don't actually like the game, but it has always been a kind of indicator for me

16 bit transparency was the first thing i tweaked, the second was "debug.sf.hw=1" and "ro.opengles.version=65537" in build.prop.

That led to no noticeable effect

One question, the latinamerican users can't use this rom? (for the 3g)

this rom does not change much with regard to cellular communications.

If it worked before with either roms, it I guess will work with this rom too.

I wonder: how much space is left in kernel (regarding the boot.img?). I don't know much about kernels. Once we run out of space, would it be possible to extract some part and provide it as a kernel module (like wifi driver, or that zram stuff)?

do you know by a chance what insmod zram.ko? The script referenced assumes that the module is either compiled already into kernel or loaded already.

Something probably did insmod (or modprobe) for older ramzswap.ko in our original cm7...

I've borrowed zram kernel code already from one of u8150 branches (in fact it did not belong to huawei original kernel, looks it's CM enhancement) and compiled it. Need to test if it with LZO fit into boot partition.

Yes, some kernel parts can be compiled as modules, but then special care should be taken to load them by scripts at proper times.

And we are very close to 2.5MB limit of boot partition. Don't know what else should go... Ipv6 and Nfs have found their way out already (may be will compile them as modules at some point)

There is another potential option - lzma kernel image compression (currently gz is used), but .32 does doesn't support it out of box. (.35 does). And according to some measurement it could take up to 6 times more time to decompress the kernel at boot time. So I'm trying to stay away if I can.

Edited by pier11

Guest LUISFPAZ

HI, IS THERE A WAY TO GET INTO RECOVERY MODE BECAUSE I HAVE TRIED END CALL + MENU KEY COMBINATION WHILE POWER ON BUT DOESN´T WORK AN IHAVE TRIED REFLASHING AND REROOTING FROM ROM MANAGER AND ZROOT BUT EVERY ATTEMP IS USELESS, SO CAN YOU HELP ME WITH A RECOMENDATION, ANY IDEAS?

Known issues:

- doesn't reboot into recovery via Power->Reboot->Recovery. Reboots just normally. Workaround: hold Red+MENU keys while rebooting.

- old usb driver does not work. Workaround: install newer driver. This one was suggested in this thread among others.

- wifi doesn't wake up after awhile. Workaround: turn it off/on manually. (Install shortcut to wifi settings on desktop.) Also set up your correct mac address via app SetMacAddress.

Obsolete versions (don't download):

- Added overclock to 748 MHz. Default is 528 MHz. Thanks to dtox125 !

cm7.2_u8220_20120127.zip (kernel: 660f6b7f76b26f48db8aec55e852323c5949b541)

Separate overclocked kernel:

overclock.boot-img.zip (kernel: 660f6b7f76b26f48db8aec55e852323c5949b541)

- fix for Melfas touchscreen (some u8230 devices have it);

- moved launcher and filemanager back to /system/app as suggested by twrock.

cm7.2_u8220_20120125.zip (kernel: 70703d9a955dceca73acf77d1442225e6b207420)

- added Melfas touchscreen

- doesn't reboot due to wifi inactivity

- fix for headphones caused reboot on unplugging

cm7.2_u8220_20120123.zip (issues with Melfas touchscreen) (kernel: 64b464e1b00ccc0de2c7cee478feb3a9ef52d4cf)

MX Moto performs the same. :(

I don't actually like the game, but it has always been a kind of indicator for me

16 bit transparency was the first thing i tweaked, the second was "debug.sf.hw=1" and "ro.opengles.version=65537" in build.prop.

That led to no noticeable effect

Mx moto is very slow, compared to cm6, but for me seems that Cut the rope is a little faster.

Anybody wants to run the antutu benchmark for 2d graphic on cm6.1? (I can't restore my cm6.1 backup, maybe because I change the partition layout for cm7.2)

I get 125-130 point with cm7.2 without OC.

After one week of testing cm7.2 i like it, i'd stay with this rom if the known bugs remain.

There are some minor bug I found and nobody write about it.

- In google maps the road signs, bus station signs etc. doesn't shown (white square appear instead)

- In google maps on certain zoom levels the street names doesn't readable.

- In music app, there are visual glitches on artist tab, before the artist names

- Maybe some character encoding problem, but when a list appear on a text window, the list sign doesn't appear, only an empty square. Empty square appear also instead of heart simbol in facebook app and in the browser.

Edited by rhen

...antutu benchmark for 2d graphic...

I get 125-130 point with cm7.2 without OC.

same for me cm7.2 - 2D test:

710 MHz: 122

528 MHz: ~127

320 MHz: 119

But that's OpenGL tests, so an accelerated 2D graphics...

There are some minor bug I found and nobody write about it.

- In google maps the road signs, bus station signs etc. doesn't shown (white square appear instead)

- In google maps on certain zoom levels the street names doesn't readable.

Confirm. Annoying. Looks like Maps want to be shown at big enough magnification for streets to be started labelled readable.

Shall we roll back to v5+ of google maps?.. The current version is 6 already...

Confirm. Annoying. Looks like Maps want to be shown at big enough magnification for streets to be started labelled readable.

Shall we roll back to v5+ of google maps?.. The current version is 6 already...

If we revert to maps 5, can I use the google navigation in my country?

(The navigation for my country is enabled about half a year ago and I doesn't know that it depends on the maps version or doesn't.

Sygic doesn't work for me on cm7.2 (I haven't tried before). Or Waze is a good alternative?)

same for me cm7.2 - 2D test:

710 MHz: 122

528 MHz: ~127

320 MHz: 119

But that's OpenGL tests, so an accelerated 2D graphics...

It shows two test, one with openGL and one with Canvas rendering.

Canvas also accelerated?

mx moto uses software renderer? If it is, how to force to use the hardware instead?

I doesn't understand well, why mx moto is so slow.

just got my first green screen with unmodified rom 28.01. :(

Did nothing special, just wanted to enter settings menu...

Has anyone experimented with JIT on/off regarding performance of 2d applications?

The visual artifacts in maps etc... do they happen with both, 16 bit transparency on and off? The settings screen warns it may cause artifacts.

Edited by dr.flo