Info on 2.3 ROMs??

Guest redhawkuk

Guest redhawkuk

I've been holding back from updating my Racer (I didn't want to foul it up) so I recently purchased a used handset from ebay for 25 quid now I feel like experiencing. :)

I had another look at Racerroms website today and to be honest I'm a little lost this isn't helped by the lack of information on features/problems and photos.

I also get the impression they all are Cm7 based is that true or has someone uploaded a ROM which is closer to an unedited stock 2.3 ROM??

Can someone please explain the swap support in Cm7 builds I guess it's like pagefile.sys for Windows but do I need a special partition on my SD-Card, can I define how big my swap is, or can I turn it off??

To be honest I'm not bothered with fancy graphics UIs I really want something functional, good with RAM (enough to run Angry Birds / Asphalt 5), good battery life and workable phone.

Any recommendations??

Do any ROMs have pinch zoom capability??

Which version of CWM should I flash to install the Gingerbread ROMs??

All info would be most appreciated.

Richard S.

Edited by redhawkuk

Guest redhawkuk

I see so if I understand correctly the CM7 builds are basically hacked Android 2.3 ROMs to work on gen1 devices.

So what's the deal with gen2 anyway is the memory layout / boot loader different hence not gen1 compatible I still not found any specs on this??

Also many users on the Blade forums claim gen2 has better reception than gen1 personally I can't see how this can be possible when no hardware has changed.

Perhaps gen2 handsets handle poor reception better than gen1 but not necessarily have better reception I dunno. :mellow:

So coming back to my original post could someone recommend a Gingerbread ROM easy on memory usage and battery life.

Richard S.

Edited by redhawkuk

Guest equiliym

gen2 is somewhat changed in firmware, deeper than the android/kernel stuff so to speak, might have changed partition layout and other stuff, someone with gen2 should write more about the changes they have on their phones since gen1 update

cm7 is not really hacked android, its more of changed/modded/tweaked from source, ie download android source from google, add your modifications and compile = custom android.. thats what cyanogenmod/miui is

other roms that are based on CM7 means they are using already modified code of android (cm7 source instead of stock source) for their roms.. like ligux/lewa, you get cm7 and edit its layouts, designs and add your features thus getting a cm7 based custom rom..

as for pinch/zoom issue since racer doesnt really support multitouch, deadlinks kernel has a hack/mod to enable it but not really stable (at least for me) so you can try any rom with his kernel

for cwm, you should install mooncake-4.0.1.4-genX (phone generation) from sebastians archive

as for memory issues and battery life, i dont know what to tell you.. use tweaks for memory and see what rom people like the most for battery life since some drain battery in few hours, others take few days

Guest redhawkuk

I remember reading about pitch zoom capability and to be honest I was a little bit sceptical because the racer has a tiny resistive touch screen.

I am curious about one thing though some ROMs have Vamshistunner Kernel or Deadlink Kernel, without going into too much detail what are the Pros and Cons for each Kernel??

Richard S.

Edited by redhawkuk

Guest equiliym

what are the Pros and Cons for each Kernel??

im not sure if i want to get into that lol but here are some basics

deadlinks kernel has that pinch hack, touch is based on tslib, doesnt boot with usb plugged, has support of deadlinks racerparts (usb charging, backlight etc)

vamshis kernel has smartassv2 governor added, touch is based on touch_to_key

those are known, for the rest you should totally try both kernels and decide which one fits you best.. i tried both and im going with vamshis because of different screen sensitivity, i personally find it better