Help! I'm new and I can't do...

Guest Frankish

Guest Nikola86BG

I am considering this phone, and would like to know one thing before I take the plunge: is bootloader unlockable? Since it's not factory unlocked (unfortunately), I really don't want to go through the same horror I had with the S-ON on Legend...

Guest Davidoff59

its locked on the Chinese ics but it can be bypassed easily.

Gingerbread has no locked boot loader as far as I am aware. It can be rooted and cwm fine.

Guest wolfgirl

I have some questions and maybe you guys could help because I'm really novice with android stuff... :blush:

So I wanted to know if it's safe to unistall google apps (google talk, google plus, messenger) that comes with huawei g300? And if it's safe how can I do it? :blush:

I have mine rooted and with B888 but still can't unistall unistall them... :unsure:

Then I read something about potterunlock giving trouble but I have no idea of what that is... could someone explain please? :)

BTW sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread :unsure:

EDIT: if there was a way to uninstall facebook and google maps (I don't use them) that would be great too.

Edited by wolfgirl

Guest Davidoff59

Hi wolf girl, to remove Facebook etc, you need to root the phone. The phone can and will operate without Google apps.

2 places to start

Guest Davidoff59

Sorry your already rooted, try rom toolbox by jrummy on the market. Any issues gimme a shout as its what I always use.

Potter unlock is the stock lock screen by huawei

Guest wolfgirl

@Davidoff59

it's ok and thanks for the reply ;)

I readed the threads again to see if I missed something but there isn't nothing about this so I did a lil search and used ES File Explorer and did ok with it :D

About potter unlock: I use Go Launcher EX and Go locker so is it ok to delete/uninstall this potter unlock or is it better to just leave it since I don't have Titanium Backup pro that has the freeze option? :wacko:

Guest Davidoff59

you can uninstall it yes. Even if you didn't install go locker and removed potter unlock, you would still have the Google stock swipe to unlock.

Guest Nikola86BG

its locked on the Chinese ics but it can be bypassed easily.

Gingerbread has no locked boot loader as far as I am aware. It can be rooted and cwm fine.

When you say bypassed, does it mean some little elves will make CWM my default recovery (like on Xperia X8) although I can't unlock the bootloader (I'm not really ready to go down that path to be honest), or it can be unlocked?

And thanks for your answer :)

Guest Prog_Drummer

Hello,

Thanks for the guide managed to get CWM installed using it.

I am now looking to install B888 and then atomic mod.

I have backed up by following 4b and have coped the folder to my pc and am now at the wipe stage. Before I wipe I just want to be sure that I can restore my apps, app data and system data.

Can these be restored and how would I go about doing it?

Also I read somewhere (not sure where) about doing 3 wipes before flashing a new rom. What are these 3 wipes? DO i need to do them or shall I just do the wipes that are stated in 4b?

Also when I was backing up my data through CWM I got the error "No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext" is that normal?

Sorry if any of these questions have already been asked I did do a quick search/scan of the previous pages but couldn't see anything.

Thanks

Guest eirlysbill1

INSTRUCTIONS FOR PERFECT INSTALL & BETTER BATTERY LIFE

WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET

WIPE CACHE PARTITION

MOUNTS & STORAGE > FORMATE SYSTEM

ADVANCED > WIPE DALVIK CACHE

ADVANCED >WIPE BATTERY STATS

NOW INSTALL THE ROM !

Hello,

Thanks for the guide managed to get CWM installed using it.

I am now looking to install B888 and then atomic mod.

I have backed up by following 4b and have coped the folder to my pc and am now at the wipe stage. Before I wipe I just want to be sure that I can restore my apps, app data and system data.

Can these be restored and how would I go about doing it?

Also I read somewhere (not sure where) about doing 3 wipes before flashing a new rom. What are these 3 wipes? DO i need to do them or shall I just do the wipes that are stated in 4b?

Also when I was backing up my data through CWM I got the error "No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext" is that normal?

Sorry if any of these questions have already been asked I did do a quick search/scan of the previous pages but couldn't see anything.

Thanks

Hi Mate,

You probably saw this but Tillaz has a great guide for wiping before a rom (see above)

That sd-ext error, is no problem. Its looking for a ext partition that isn't there. Some people create this partition to have extra room for apps on phones with small internal memories (i.e. ZTE Blade) The G300 has a lot of room, but if you have tons and tons of apps, then Paul has a done a partition swap mod that's available in his GR1.

I personally use Rom Toolbox Pro (J. Rummy) for backing up apps and data. I think its better than Titanium Backup, but it is a "paid for app" It's not much and it has root browser which is great for removing stuff on the system that you don't want.

Hope that helps,

Bill

PS: I'm old enough to have bought Permanant Waves as an LP record :P

PSS: You should know that the B888 update repartitions the phone, and it can be some work to go backwards. (there's a thread for this). Any other questions? Just ask, if I can't help, others will

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest Prog_Drummer

PS: I'm old enough to have bought Permanant Waves as an LP record :P

haha yeah that's a great record

PSS: You should know that the B888 update repartitions the phone, and it can be some work to go backwards. (there's a thread for this). Any other questions? Just ask, if I can't help, others will

Yeah I read that if you use Paul's update the you can go back to B885. Is that correct and would I still be able to flash atomic mod?

Thanks for all your help

Guest eirlysbill1

Don't know, sorry. I've gone between Paul's and AtomicMod, so that works. But, I didn't know that if you started with the GR1 that you could easily go backwards. Maybe someone else could help. BTW: davidoff59 is a good one for stuff like this. He knows his stuff and he's glad to answer questions. (hope I don't get in trouble for that) :huh:

Guest Hogweed

You can upgrade from stock to Paul's GR2 B888 without wiping anything (phone looks like it did before with all your apps and data but is now much faster and more responsive - like a free hardware upgrade). The GR2 flashed ROM does not repartition your phone (the "official" B888 update does though) and you can also go back to stock UK B885 easily. As such it is a very good ROM to flash as a first try, Backup first of course just in case something goes wrong as always.

Atomicmod ROM requires a wipe before install. You could try without but you would be on your own.

PS I also have Permanent Waves on vinyl :-)

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Prog_Drummer

Thanks for the info Hogweed

Edit:

I have successfully flashed Paul's B888 rom, thanks for the help.

I'm having trouble uninstalling the vodafone bloat however, I have tried using Titanium backup but get the error 'failed to locate apk file.'

I have also tried using a root browser to locate the apk's but cannot find them. I have looked in the /cust folder but don't see /normal.europe/app as it is suggested the apk's are in this folder in another thread.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to removing the vodafone bloat?

Also, just to confirm, if I install atomicMod I would then be able to easily go back to stock B885 if I needed to return to store etc.?

Thanks

Edited by Prog_Drummer

Guest Davidoff59

just delete whatever is in cust if there are apps you won't use. There may be more in system/app.

Custom roms and official update.app are very different processes so going from custom rom to custom rom is very easy. There should be no issues reverting to stock so long as you don't flash anything official or leaked past B885 or the Chinese ICS.

Guest Davidoff59

So long as your not flashing either an update.app or a tpt, you will be fine. A CWM flashable B888 and an update.app are different builds.

Guest Ash.UK

Hi...I'm on stock Rom and using handcent sms and have disabled all notifications for stock sms app, however, these are still displayed on the lock screen!

Any ideas how to disable these?

Edited by Ash.UK

Guest Ash.UK
Have you tried freezing the stock app.

Good idea thanks...is that 'force stop' in manage applications?

Edited by Ash.UK

Guest Davidoff59

No. Titanium backup pro has the option and I think I read that es file explorer has the option to frreze. Force closing it will probably make it restart immediately as its a system app. Freezing will stop it starting at all but its always there if you want to defrost it again.