How many people are using B888

Guest feckineejit

Guest feckineejit

Hello, i'm currently on B886 update and curious to try out B888, but with the fact that i cant go back to earlier update if anything goes wrong is stopping me trying it, just want to know how many people are using B888 and what if any are the advantages and disadvantages over B884, B885 & B886. Also would i be able to update to ics when it comes out without any problems, if i update to B888?

Edited by feckineejit

Guest FrankieADZ

Hello, i'm currently on B886 update and curious to try out B888, but with the fact that i cant go back to earlier update if anything goes wrong is stopping me trying it, just want to know how many people are using B888 and what if any are the advantages and disadvantages over B884, B885 & B886. Also would i be able to update to ics when it comes out without any problems, if i update to B888?

Personally I've gone to B888, dunno...just wanted to keep it update if you would.

i think there is an element of risk upgrading to B888...looking ahead; it could certainly be released on its own or bundled with the reported ICS thats meant to come out in a few, as it changes partition sizes or something; which is need for ICS.

Guest kradcliffe

B888 is fast and more importantly doesn't come with any Voda crapware.

Unless you're paranoid about the possibility of returning your phone to Voda then there's no good reason not to!

Keith

Guest Davidoff59

I'm not sure B888 has any connection to ICS. It would not explain B884 and B886. ICS is probably not compiled yet so the finished file size would be unknown. It would also be just as easy to change the partition sizes with the ICS update itself, just as they have done with the B888 rom.

My thoughts are that they did it so that anyone flashing it has trouble installing the stock rom again so that Vodaphone can see that its not a genuine rom so they wont honour the warranty. B884 and B886 were ok and I reckon they released this due to them being informed on facebook about the leaks as its plastered all over there.

Why people would inform Huawei that someone is releasing leaks is beyond me as it may stop any further leaks.

Guest dittohead

Flashed B888 as soon as I read the thread, before people knew about partition resize etc.

Not actually using the phone yet, still using my Sensation, but once an ICS ROM (official Huawei or enterprising developers CM9) I'll sell the Sensation & switch to the G300, 4-inch screen is perfect size for a phone I reckon.

Guest FrankieADZ

I'm not sure B888 has any connection to ICS. It would not explain B884 and B886. ICS is probably not compiled yet so the finished file size would be unknown. It would also be just as easy to change the partition sizes with the ICS update itself, just as they have done with the B888 rom.

My thoughts are that they did it so that anyone flashing it has trouble installing the stock rom again so that Vodaphone can see that its not a genuine rom so they wont honour the warranty. B884 and B886 were ok and I reckon they released this due to them being informed on facebook about the leaks as its plastered all over there.

Why people would inform Huawei that someone is releasing leaks is beyond me as it may stop any further leaks.

i cant imagine them doing that tbf.

the B888 does seem to be a genuine ROM but by Huawei and just not verified by Vodafone.

also i agree with you about the leaks business, i think thats more a kinda good thing...as it kinda gives a buzz about the phone etc...maybe even creating more business/interest in the phone

Edited by FrankieADZ

Guest bumps

B888 is fast and more importantly doesn't come with any Voda crapware.

Unless you're paranoid about the possibility of returning your phone to Voda then there's no good reason not to!

Keith

100% agreed :D

Guest Rednose01

Well i have just installed it and the vendor files, direct from the phone, no multiple button presses or batterey pulls, no issues.

I also backed up everything using thd in built app,which worked like a charm.

Definatley more responsive in every way.

1 thing i noticed before doing the vendor update, it gave 7 home screens as opose to the usual 5, i seem to rember someone querying this ages ago.

Oh yeh, the sounds still fine!

Carl..

Guest feckineejit

Upgraded to B888, but i don't think there is to much difference, maybe app drawer loads quicker, I don't think the camera is quicker like people have been saying, Also when i was using SF camera, i used to be able to hold the camera button to take a pic and the green box would come up (auto focus). but on the g300 it doesnt happen, the green box comes up for a split second or so before you click the button, i'm sure its only ment to come up when you hold the button, is that the same with everone elses camera?

Guest FrankieADZ

Upgraded to B888, but i don't think there is to much difference, maybe app drawer loads quicker, I don't think the camera is quicker like people have been saying, Also when i was using SF camera, i used to be able to hold the camera button to take a pic and the green box would come up (auto focus). but on the g300 it doesnt happen, the green box comes up for a split second or so before you click the button, i'm sure its only ment to come up when you hold the button, is that the same with everone elses camera?

ive notice that too with the camera...its no biggy for me..

Guest RussellS

Well, I've just taken the plunge and upgraded from B885 to B888. It locked up at the end of the vendor file update and needed a battery pull but was fine after that.

The capacitive buttons are definitely more responsive and I do think that the camera is faster to respond.

oh, and no Vodafone crap bogging it down anymore.

Also when i was using SF camera, i used to be able to hold the camera button to take a pic and the green box would come up (auto focus). but on the g300 it doesnt happen, the green box comes up for a split second or so before you click the button, i'm sure its only ment to come up when you hold the button, is that the same with everone elses camera?

On mine, if I press and hold the camera button I get the green box come up and the camera will focus. If you then keep the button pressed the green box will stay on and the focus will be held and you can reframe the shot while keeping the original focus. The green box stays on until you let go of the button.

Edited by RussellS

Guest feckineejit

Well, I've just taken the plunge and upgraded from B885 to B888. It locked up at the end of the vendor file update and needed a battery pull but was fine after that.

The capacitive buttons are definitely more responsive and I do think that the camera is faster to respond.

oh, and no Vodafone crap bogging it down anymore.

On mine, if I press and hold the camera button I get the green box come up and the camera will focus. If you then keep the button pressed the green box will stay on and the focus will be held and you can reframe the shot while keeping the original focus. The green box stays on until you let go of the button.

Thats whats meant to happen, it did happen to mine when i first put B888 on, but the next morning i got up and it stopped doing it.

Guest Muznyu

Well, I decided to stop worry about warranty and go for B888, because I wanted a usable phone. With B884 and B886 the device was painfully slow and unresponsive (after using a Moto DEFY with CM7), but installing B888 is a huge step up: fixed volume issue, removed Vodafone bloatware, improved speed. Okay, the UI and the soft buttons are not always as responsive as I want, but now it's not that annoying like before. I hope in the near future some optimized update will increase the speed of the software, and the remaining lag will dissapear.

BTW do you know how to remove TouchPal keyboard? Titanium Backup couldn't remove it, because it's not located in system/app folder. Of course it's not a big deal if it remains on my phone, but usually I like to remove unused components. :)

Guest MrPuddington
BTW do you know how to remove TouchPal keyboard? Titanium Backup couldn't remove it, because it's not located in system/app folder. Of course it's not a big deal if it remains on my phone, but usually I like to remove unused components. :)
I have to say I rather like the TouchPal keyboard. Not as good as Swype, my favourite, but close. That and the Vodafone style I would like to keep. All the other customisation I would rather do without. But I think I will wait until ICS is out before I go into detailed tailoring of my G300.

Guest Chazmeister

Upgraded to B888 a short while ago. It's a nice relief to be finally rid of all the Vodafone junk and be able to tailor the phone to my wants. Also as has already been said the capacitive buttons are a heck of a lot more responsive now. Just feels a better experience overall. I know I could of rooted it earlier and dicked about junking all the voda stuff, but I had a feeling something like this might be along eventually.

I've actually re-installed the touchpal keyboard as I got quite used to it's predictive text and could knock out sentences really fast. I hear the Swype one is a bit better but the Touchpal one is free.

Guest RussellS

I've actually re-installed the touchpal keyboard as I got quite used to it's predictive text and could knock out sentences really fast. I hear the Swype one is a bit better but the Touchpal one is free.

I've been using Swype for about 18 months firstly on my OSF and now on my G300 and so far it has always been free. I think Swype is one of those 'love it or hate it' things and personally I love it.

Guest putbinoot

Upgraded to B888 a short while ago. It's a nice relief to be finally rid of all the Vodafone junk and be able to tailor the phone to my wants. Also as has already been said the capacitive buttons are a heck of a lot more responsive now. Just feels a better experience overall. I know I could of rooted it earlier and dicked about junking all the voda stuff, but I had a feeling something like this might be along eventually.

TouchPal have a swipe version aswell.

Guest KasioPC

Quick question. Those who upgraded to B888 via the default Huawei method, are you able to use iPlayer? I've noticed mine is not showing any programmes, and I have tried on multiple networks. Flashing B888 is (what I think) the only thing that changed..

Guest FrankieADZ

Quick question. Those who upgraded to B888 via the default Huawei method, are you able to use iPlayer? I've noticed mine is not showing any programmes, and I have tried on multiple networks. Flashing B888 is (what I think) the only thing that changed..

Ive just tried it and it works fine for me, (Im on B888 & did upgrade the default method too