SIM lock status

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rockmonkey

i called orange today because i still fancy buying this phone. i own a defy (by far and away the best built phone i have ever fondled) and know what can be achieved using a phone with a locked bootloader so this is not a total deterant for me at least.

i have had a pay as you go sim which was activated about 10 months ago (although i have never used it). anyway i called up customer services and they told me that even though i have a pay as you go account i would have to link the imei number of the phone to the sim for three months before they would unlock it.

well that put an end to any chance of me owning this phone and as an extension this is probably the main reason why the handset is locked down.

networks dont make any real money selling phones. the income is derived from the data and services they sell. if everyone was hacking it like mad and unlocking phones willy nilly they wouldnt make a lot of cash.

i still think the sim lock will sink this phone more than the bootloader. certainly nailed the coffin shut for me.

i think i will wait for the new windows phones. locked down they may be but that isnt that big a deal if the basics are ok in the first place and i think with windows 8 they certainly look to have the basics just about right. until then i will keep my nigh on bullet proof defy running cm7.

Guest fastohm

SImlock isn't the killer if your patient, its the way its locked down which considering how much Intel support the overclocking community is very poor - or are Orange the real culprits here :angry:

Guest rockmonkey

i should have extended my original statement to simlocked and it being a network exclusive to orange for the main reasons the phone may fail. i am obviously in the minority who thinks a locked bootloader isnt a major issue for most people. i reckon the bootloader is locked because that is the way orange wants it. pure speculation but that is my hunch for the reasons above, namely money.

ii will say that my phone call to orange was mainly curiosity. i am very interested in buying it and wanted to see if i would be able to get it unlocked straight away no waiting around. however if no root exploit is found then i wont buy it full stop sim lock or not. that is the most important thing in my eyes. without that even altering the general feel of the phone will be limited at best and a lot of apps i use would simply not work.

Edited by rockmonkey

Guest glossywhite

i should have extended my original statement to simlocked and it being a network exclusive to orange for the main reasons the phone may fail. i am obviously in the minority who thinks a locked bootloader isnt a major issue for most people. i reckon the bootloader is locked because that is the way orange wants it. pure speculation but that is my hunch for the reasons above, namely money.

i

Personally, the handset is a smasher, regardless of bootloader. I can live with a slightly ugly theme, as the pros MASSIVELY outweigh the cons, if any.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shootomanUK

Hi, just wondering if the gevey sim would unlock the osd ?

i know its for iphone 4 but could it work for this do you think ?

they can be had for a few quid on ebay

Edited by shootomanUK

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RHodgett

Hi guys I found this blogpost :

http://www.androidno...ange-san-diego/

its seems to be use xolo update.zip for unlocking OSD but someone tryed it and of course was success?

Has anyone tried this yet?

By the way, I can confirm that Virgin Mobile sims DO WORK on the OSD as stock. Tested my sim in a friends phone today, was able to make a call and have since ordered a handset!

Good offer to be had now on the orange website through quidco: £209.99 for phone including £30 quidco cashback + £20 HMV voucher + £10 phone credit.

Edited by RHodgett

if thay have unlocked the sim then thay could tell us how thay resigned it because then we could add root

So they could not do this any other way?

Guest rickywyatt

The file is the official xolo update. So it's already signed correctly.

yes but we have tryed the update.zip at xolo and people said there phones were still lock so this must be and edit ?

I have the official xolo update on right now and I am sim locked.

@rickywyatt, I managed to download, but am thinking twice about trying as I am down to my last device, if I brick it will be a serious pain.

(gave my g300 to my sister as she forked her blade)

Edited by Guest

Guest rickywyatt

im downloading it could you up load the update.zip from the xolo site open it for me and extract the META-INF and put it in a zip for me thanks

I think the site is confused, they think oh the x900 is sim unlocked thinking flashing an osd will sim unlock it :lol:

Looking at the topic, it does not strike me that someone there has hacked it and knows what they are saying, they are simply instructing to update with x900 update.

Edited by Guest