The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien
The beauty of the San Fran was you started it all off with your kitchen and it snow balled form there, only popping back when things went a bit quiet. I think I may have acted too soon, especially seeing the S3 on a £24 p/m contract.

I haven't looked into hacking phones as there has been more talented people like yourself. Is there no way of using the micro sd to find a way in or using a usb like the PS3

Believe me I'm working on every angle possible. ;-)

P

Guest fradleyp

Not made for this device, not signed, not sure where to start aside from it won't work. :-)

P

Yeah keep it simple :-) I take it x86 for pc is a lot different from x86 phone

Guest Rem1x

Do you think emailing Intel/ orange and asking them will help?

I think if we could get an official stance on the bootloader, that could help.

Guest PaulOBrien

I think if we could get an official stance on the bootloader, that could help.

That's what I'm waiting for, will chase Orange tomorrow.

P

Guest Frankish

Well that's very interesting...pay day is getting closer and i'm still umming and ahhing about getting this. I probably still will as looking at even second hand devices nothing comes close to this in the price range. Not with a 4" screen, NFC and 1gb rom anyway.

Guest k0nrad

Yup, you can't really hope for a similarily specced device at this pricepoint (not if you are hell-bent on NFC and more than WVGA that is) - Nexus S would be my second best, but is two generations behind in terms of CPU.

As for the Intel x86-64 vulnerability - IF it exists in Medfield platform (and I don't see why it wouldn't) it may be somewhat useful, since I guess it would have to be patched on kernel level in case of a phone. But even if someone will exploit it to obtain priviledged access, they still have to actually know *how* use that for unlocking the bootloader/allowing unsigned packages to be flashed.

Edited by k0nrad

Guest michael spped

i asked xolo care about this and the boot locker. their response was as simple as ever-

Dear Customer,

Thank you contacting us.

Sir, We can’t officially disclose this info as we do not recommend customers to try doing this.

Regards

Xolo-Care

| www.xolo.in |Contact Us. 1800-30-100-104 (Tollfree) |SMS No. 9650444477 |

Edited by michael spped

Guest DarkWanderer

i asked xolo care about this and the boot locker. their response was as simple as ever-

Dear Customer,

Thank you contacting us.

Sir, We can’t officially disclose this info as we do not recommend customers to try doing this.

Regards

Xolo-Care

| www.xolo.in |Contact Us. 1800-30-100-104 (Tollfree) |SMS No. 9650444477 |

Surely whether they recommend it or not doesn't answer the question, what you do at your own risk with your device is up to you.

Guest fraxos

Nope, i've chased tho.

P

Paul,

Just had a look at your earlier tweet. Am I right in assuming that Orange have confirmed that the bootloader is locked or have they been their usual useful self and not bothered responding yet?

Thanks

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul,

Just had a look at your earlier tweet. Am I right in assuming that Orange have confirmed that the bootloader is locked or have they been their usual useful self and not bothered responding yet?

Thanks

They've said they're getting me an official response but not come back with it yet!

P

Guest glossywhite

I'm detemined I/we can crack this. If I get one lent/donated I'll try my best, and even if I have to save up for one, I'll try my best. Regardless of what is seen as "insurmountable", I have faith that many minds lighten the load, and since this is going to be SUCH a prolific device, I am only looking to spend my free time (that's 99% right now) on doing this, for the benefit of ALL.

I won't let go of this - not in a stubborn manner, but because NOTHING is impossible, and because I have faith in myself and you good folks :D

:D yay!

Edited by glossywhite