The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest punjabi

Hi guys

Just off the topic, but does anyone know if the OSD is 4G compatible? I mean will it be able to take advantage of the new announcement about Everything Everywhere's announcement of using the 1800mhz spectrum for 4G today.

Thanks and sorry for the off topic question.

Guest rockmonkey

glossy mate.

if you are still getting donations then check out ebay. i have seen a few go recently for around the hundred mark and some even less. check out completed listings for the san diego and you will see what i mean. it would make sense to buy it cheap second hand that way if you screw it up then people dont lose so much money and also the big plus is you could get one far quicker than if you wait to get enough cash to buy it new.

i have just screwed my defy (bl7 and cant get the battery to charge) and therefore need to buy another phone myself otherwise i may (please read that word again... may) have donated. i dont have the phone but would possibly buy it if it was rooted and even more importantly could be sim unlocked.

so i dont have a real vested interest in actually laying down my hard earned coin because root without a sim unlock is not enough. even if you can unlock it there still is no guarantee that the the sim lock can be removed and hence root is worthless to me.

the bottom line is there are plenty of phones out there and so paying you some money to root a phone i dont have and may not even buy (because of the wealth of other options and the fact this can only be used on orange at the moment) is not something i am gonna do. i am also quite tight and dont give out money easily even for good causes and certainly not when i stand to gain nothing in return. hell i even only donate to charities i actually want to support.

anyways just thought i would mention ebay as an option for you and to wish you good luck in obtaining the funds and then unlocking it.

Guest boristhespie

IF Intel were hoping to make a mark they are kinda buggering that. The security issue is a non starter when those who want to root chosing that they are willing to take risk and joe public have no idea about rooting. So this excuse is totally redundant. I think what we are seeing is a move by operators to restrict their customers. That's the real reason.

Problem for Intel is this....

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-investing-billions-in-mobile-chip-plant-21243460/

As a result Intel may need to rethink their strategy and actually give us the paying customer what we want. Control of our own posessions.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Hi guys

Just off the topic, but does anyone know if the OSD is 4G compatible? I mean will it be able to take advantage of the new announcement about Everything Everywhere's announcement of using the 1800mhz spectrum for 4G today.

Thanks and sorry for the off topic question.

Appears to be from ADVERT LINK REMOVED :- HSDPA+ (4G) 21.1 Mbit/s, UMTS, EDGE, GPRS

Guest arbi580

Hi guys

I updated my Orange San Diego to Xolo 2.3.7 under the mistaken belief that it would unlock the phone to any network. Although the update worked, it did not unlock the phone.

I am now trying to go back to the Orange firmware so that I can send the phone back to Orange for a refund as I do not want this phone and am within 7 day return period.

Can someone please upload the original Orange firmware with some instructions on how to flash it back.

I would really appreciate the help.

Many thanks

Arbi

Guest shootomanUK

Hi guys

I updated my Orange San Diego to Xolo 2.3.7 under the mistaken belief that it would unlock the phone to any network. Although the update worked, it did not unlock the phone.

I am now trying to go back to the Orange firmware so that I can send the phone back to Orange for a refund as I do not want this phone and am within 7 day return period.

Can someone please upload the original Orange firmware with some instructions on how to flash it back.

I would really appreciate the help.

Many thanks

Arbi

there is no orange firmware to flash back, you have to now wait for ics.... :wacko:

Guest The Soup Thief

Crikey Rockmonkey! They're going for buttons! One went for £85!

I'd looked previously but (like a clown) it hadn't struck me that since ebay defaults to ebay.ie for me I wouldn't automatically see these (odd, since I see lots of other UK, US and European stuff - must be cos sellers are only shipping these to UK addresses)

I'm in no rush so will keep my powder dry and see if I can pick one up for pennies in a few months (assuming there's an unlock solution by then - being locked to a UK network while living in Ireland holds no charms for me!)

Alternatively maybe by then some of these will be 3+ months old and Orange might sell me an unlock for £20 as has been suggested

EDIT @arbi580, this is a rotten trick to suggest, but you could try bricking it and return it to Orange as faulty? Problem with that though could be that you might then be obliged to keep the replacement - which would still leave you with a phone you don't really seem to want at this point :-( Anyone got a better solution?

EDIT 2 - on second thoughts, are you quite sure you can only return it within 7 days? I'd have thought you have 28 days - can anyone confirm? In which case it would be possible to brick it with a bad flash, get a replacement then take that back for a refund. Morally sketchy, of course, but...

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest glossywhite

Crikey Rockmonkey! They're going for buttons! One went for £85!

I'd looked previously but (like a clown) it hadn't struck me that since ebay defaults to ebay.ie for me I wouldn't automatically see these (odd, since I see lots of other UK, US and European stuff - must be cos sellers are only shipping these to UK addresses)

I'm in no rush so will keep my powder dry and see if I can pick one up for pennies in a few months (assuming there's an unlock solution by then - being locked to a UK network while living in Ireland holds no charms for me!)

Alternatively maybe by then some of these will be 3+ months old and Orange might sell me an unlock for £20 as has been suggested

EDIT @arbi580, this is a rotten trick to suggest, but you could try bricking it and return it to Orange as faulty? Problem with that though could be that you might then be obliged to keep the replacement - which would still leave you with a phone you don't really seem to want at this point :-( Anyone got a better solution?

EDIT 2 - on second thoughts, are you quite sure you can only return it within 7 days? I'd have thought you have 28 days - can anyone confirm? In which case it would be possible to brick it with a bad flash, get a replacement then take that back for a refund. Morally sketchy, of course, but...

Why is it okay to encourage people to blatently tell lies to Orange? That is despicably dishonest. The truth is ALWAYS the best way, regardless of the "wisdom" of earthly ways. Not only is this dishonest, but it marrs your reputation and credibility to total strangers online; do you not see that? Regardless of opinion, truth is truth, and to tell a lie is deception, and you deceive yourself TOO.

If you break something, why should you be compensated when it's your fault? Did Orange cause you to brick it? When I bricked my Monte Carlo, during the Monte Carlo unlocking experiments, I called Orange and was very frank about what had happened - I told them I had bricked it MYSELF, whilst trying to install a ROM, and the guy was so impressed that I was being honest, he sent me a new one EVEN THOUGH it was my fault!

Edited by glossywhite

Guest arbi580

FYI, the phone was bought for my brother who was going overseas and needed it unlocked. An Orange store rep told us "buy the phone, its easily unlocked no problems". So I bought the phone and called Customer Services who said not before 3 months, then took it to the store who turned back on their word.

I had to give my Samsung Galaxy S2 to my bro to keep him going.

This is not the first time I got screwed by Orange or for that matter a large Company. What do you do when you get screwed by a large Company. Do you take them to court or do you write a letter of complaint? Do you get a result? Sadly no! As such most people simply assume the position and say please be gentle while you screw me against my will!

Its brilliant to be able to look at the world as Black and White, until you find large corportate A**holes who can tell lies and get away with things. The world isn't fair. Honesty doesn't get the job done most of the time. May be it worked in the 60s - not today. And so you have to decide whether you want to keep suffering or beat these guys at their own game!

Guest The Soup Thief

@glossywhite I've noticed your posts sounding tetchier and tetchier over the past few weeks

Sounds like somebody needs a hug... ;)

Guest rickywyatt

I'm back my misss didt like the osd so she went and got herself a samsung galaxy s3 so she gave it back to me so now I got

motorola atrix

samsung galaxy note

osd

So now you have an osd to destroy in the name of science.lol

Wish I never give my g300 to sister.....would.be more brave if I had a fallback droid.

Edited by Guest

Guest shootomanUK

I'm back my misss didt like the osd so she went and got herself a samsung galaxy s3 so she gave it back to me so now I got

motorola atrix

samsung galaxy note

osd

Welcome Back Ricky !!!!! :P

i knew you were missing us lol

Same for me.......since using xolo update, gameloft does not recognize this device as intelligent noon-hill. Obviously if we get root a few build prop tweaks should fix that. I can play asphalt 6 no problems but modern combat 2 works for few weeks then file system corrupts then game is unplayable.lol. I then have to format the whole storage space to remedy it, reinstalling game and redownloading data does not fix, only a complete storage format!

Edited by Guest

Guest rickywyatt

how did you get asphalt 6 to work as I pause for the game on the market but it says its not compatible with this device all so gta 3 stutter

what's the point in having a 400mhz gpu if you cant us it lol

I already had it backed up from when I was on orange rom.....you go to wap.gameloft via stock browser to get x86 games.

Asphalt 6 works flawless for me as did MC2 until it corrupted, gta 3 works fine too, but I used old version I had with xda gta launcher app....although I do not have gta no more. Also, the latest gta 3 version has compatibility issues with osd as I mentioned before somewhere in this forum, think it was in x86 topic, which is why I went through my old backup archive to see if I had older version.

Edited by Guest