Orange: San Diego is bootloader locked and staying that way

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest glossywhite

Yeah I think you are right glossywhite,it certainly has made me a little uneasy about it,sorry if I am being to negative

I think it is more because I have only just brick my g300 so I am a little sensitive

I understand, and don't you think about it. It's just a phone, after all. I forgive you! :)

One negative thing doesn't affect everything else... as a Christian, I know that negativity and doubt is the devil trying to hold us down, whispering in your ear "you'll never make it, you'll NEVER make it..." - but who cares?! The devil is a LIAR. Who SAYS I can't make it? Where is that written? It isn't!

Negativity and resigning to it and its' related symptoms, is a lack of faith. I'll show you a GREAT video, which explains this further, if this breaks forum rules, someone tell me and I'll remove it... but this DIRECTLY explains how negativity is a LIE, and a LIE about who we are, God's creation (do watch it, even if you don't believe in God - it's a GREAT encouragement):

[media=]

Edited by glossywhite

I would like to see the bootloader cracked just see oranges beat face again,they would be in utter disbelief when there uncrackable intel powered orange flagship is free from its chains.The look on their faces would be so priceless I would have it as my bootanimation or wallpaper :lol:

Guest glossywhite

I would like to see the bootloader cracked just see oranges beat face again,they would be in utter disbelief when there uncrackable intel powered orange flagship is free from its chains.The look on their faces would be so priceless I would have it as my bootanimation or wallpaper :lol:

You'll see it :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest fraxos

Well, after playing with it today I am seriously tempted. But as Sebastian mentioned before, I told the Intel rep at the Orange shop that as long as they keep the bootloader locked I will not be buying it. According to him, he has had a few people telling him exactly the same thing in the past couple days. Apparently all feedback is passed on to Intel and they are listening (taking that with a pinch of salt but a gran of hope is better than none!).

Well, after playing with it today I am seriously tempted. But as Sebastian mentioned before, I told the Intel rep at the Orange shop that as long as they keep the bootloader locked I will not be buying it. According to him, he has had a few people telling him exactly the same thing in the past couple days. Apparently all feedback is passed on to Intel and they are listening (taking that with a pinch of salt but a gran of hope is better than none!).

That is encouraging,hopefully intel understand the android community and do the right thing.Obviously they will not start shipping with unlocked bootloaders,but may give in and reveal the secret formula :D

Edited by Guest

Guest fraxos

I am hoping that they will follow HTC and release a method of unlocking it but yet again with Orange involved it may be trickier than that...

Guest the juggernaut

I would like to see the bootloader cracked just see oranges beat face again,they would be in utter disbelief when there uncrackable intel powered orange flagship is free from its chains.The look on their faces would be so priceless I would have it as my bootanimation or wallpaper

there face would go orange

Guest tillaz

the phone is not failing to sell, they sold 500 in two weeks since Orange launched it, and that's before the mass advertising has got under way.

yeah.. but that was before everyone knew the bootloader was totally locked down... lets see how many sell now...

Guest glossywhite

yeah.. but that was before everyone knew the bootloader was totally locked down... lets see how many sell now...

Well, let's not forget that modders and hackers are NOT the gigantic percentage we sometimes tell ourselves we are - the phone WILL sell, and lots.

Guest tillaz

Well, let's not forget that modders and hackers are NOT the gigantic percentage we sometimes tell ourselves we are - the phone WILL sell, and lots.

to be honest we don't know if it will sell lots, or fail and sell very little... only time will tell.

i'm just disappointed that Intel are making life hard for the developer community...

good luck to the people willing to try cracking this...

Guest glossywhite

to be honest we don't know if it will sell lots, or fail and sell very little... only time will tell.

i'm just disappointed that Intel are making life hard for the developer community...

good luck to the people willing to try cracking this...

Thank you my friend :)

All the best to you!

Guest squidlr

If ICS is ever released for this phone (going to be a long wait, I don't think Orange will be in a hurry), you can forget about an upgrade to the next Android version after ICS. Orange will prefer you buy a new handset with the new OS instead. If I remember correctly, Orange never released an official Android 2.2 upgrade for the San Francisco.

Guest Patrick73

Glad I went for the G300. Intel probably wants to keep the device secure and Orange have no realised the reason for it's previous success was the ability to improve the device that had been provided. Expect the Intel offering to be going cheap soon in the future as most main stream users won't want it and the hackers will now avoid it as they cannot customise it. It is a bit of a large brick of a phone from what I have seen, whereas the G300 is a skinny but powerful device and seems to have a longer battery than my Skate.

I was looking at getting one And I did notice it was thinner than My G300. But I have the chance of a Galaxy Note for only £119 more, so might be getting that instead. as MY G300 is playing up.

Guest mailyaseen

Following on from our review of the Orange San Diego, we've been looking into the bootloader lock / rooting / security situation including asking for an official line from Orange. This morning, my worst fears were confirmed... the device is completely locked down.

In the words of an Orange spokesperson...

This confirms what I have seen in my research to date - the device will not boot a modified boot or recovery image. This also suggests that if we DO get root via an exploit and manage to write the Superuser files to the system partition, the device then may also not boot if the main system partition is being checked too. We have seen numerous Ice Cream Sandwich leaks for the devices (engineering releases with Superuser access), but these do not flash to retail devices, suggesting test devices have unlocked bootloaders and recovery partitions that flash test signed update zips.

This news will be quite a disappointment to those (myself included) who hoped the San Diego would succeed the San Francisco as the enthusiasts phone of choice. Aside from messing around with ROMs and the like, a number of applications I use on a daily basis NEED root access so the phone really isn't for me (to the extent I now have to decide whether to sell it on).

The big manufacturers have learnt now that this isn't the way forward and giving consumers choice is the way to be successful... it seems Orange have yet to learn this (I was going to write 'the networks' but kudos to Vodafone for shipping the Ascend G300 with an open configuration).

A final thought for Orange / Intel... although you've locked down the phone, you haven't done a great job. A user with a basic (dangerous) level of fastboot knowledge can 'fastboot flash' both the boot and recovery partitions, effectively 'bricking' the phone.

Click here to view the item

@ PaulOBrien

Will this applies to XOLO X900 also? XOLO X900 also has bootloader concern?

Guest Pondlife

the phone is not failing to sell, they sold 500 in two weeks since Orange launched it, and that's before the mass advertising has got under way.

500 in first 2 weeks? That sure sounds like failure to me.

Guest eLJay

And sayin' that someone could develop a virus the spokesman is totally an idiot ,

If you run something like Avast (some features like the firewall require a rooted device) and don't install dubious apps then there should be no issues! It is a pain as the firewall requires root access yet the banking apps like Barclays pay app require the phone to not be rooted. This does seem like a major disparity in approaches.

Guest WiiSky70

Well they said , that will going to be pushing an update to Ice Cream Sandwhich in Q3 of this year , let's hope if they unlock the device to be able for Rooting and putting ROM's on it for future Android releases or updates to ICS.

The hope isn't all lost , if we give enought feedback to them , they may release the ICS update , and unlocking the device.

Guest glossywhite

How about some of those debating and discussing the possibilities of what may (or may not, more likely), happen at a corporate level, put the conversation back on track, and discuss the technical aspects of a locked bootloader, and research into solutions of how we can solve this?

Lots of wasted typing, no offence. You can debate this into eternity, but unless technical progress is made by a capable community, it's just going to swing back and forth as a point of discussion, bemoaning how Orange & Intel "have made a big mistake" - they may have, but debating it won't get it unlocked.

Paul is the site founder and owner, and I have no doubts as to his extreme intelligence and technical knowledge... but he is not the only person alive on the planet with in depth technical skills regards hardware and software. I have extensive electronics experience - I am 37 and have been doing electronics and taking things apart/repairing them, since I was 6, and I am proficient with Linux, Windows & Mac OS X, down to command line level (moreso with Linux @ command line level). Being autistic - I have "Asperger's syndrome", and without meaning to blow my own trumpet (I hate pride), *many* people have said to me "how on EARTH do you know these things?" or "How did you see that? I'd never have even thought of that" etc, which is always a great boost to my confidence and my heart, as I often do LOTS of highly skilled work for free, for friends and family, because I know I am respected well and valued - work that I am pretty sure not many people could do to such a degree of precision, and if they could - I am not saying they DEFINITELY couldn't, not as thoroughly.

Even if I can't find a solution, there's always the chance that the SIMlock could be exploited somehow... but I can't possibly guess, without the phone.

Edited by PaulOBrien

You are still working on it paul,well that is very good news,thankyou so much,I am sure everyone with OSD will be very grateful for your efforts :D

Guest glossywhite

Please forgive my errors, guys - I have had an extremely stressful weekend, working hours and hours under pressure, trying to re-structure a website, under pressure, with no success. This is the result... mind-hiccups. I don't work well under stress... as you can see, LOL :P

@ jikobutsu - you have no need to apologise, your donation is very kind, and will benefit us all I hope. Hopefully others may do likewise - a kind of "snowball effect". God bless you, I now need [EDIT] £205 to get there :P LOL

@Paul - what can I do, hack-wise, in the meantime? I'd love to get the ball rolling, this end.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest PaulOBrien
@Paul - what can I do, hack-wise, in the meantime? I'd love to get the ball rolling, this end.

Not sure, everything I can think of I've done or am doing!

P

Guest glossywhite

I was a little skeptical at first,but several recognized members have rated you so I happy to donate.

Aww, I appreciate your kindness my friend. :D

Oh, and I made a typo earlier; I am £205 away, not £105

Guest PaulOBrien

Aww, I appreciate your kindness my friend. :D

Oh, and I made a typo earlier; I am £205 away, not £105

The device is 200, 10 quid top up but 30 quid cash back on topcashback too.

P