Google Nexus 7 gets shockingly reasonable pricing for the UK

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

The new Google Nexus 7 tablet has received it&#39;s UK pricing (and is available to pre-order immediately) and, shockingly, for once it&#39;s not a &#036;1=£1 conversion&#33;<br />

<br />

Priced at &#036;199 / &#036;249 in the US for the 8GB / 16GB versions, the UK prices are unexpectedly reasonable at £159 and £199 respectively, with shipping an additional £9.99.<br />

<br />

Devices will ship in 2-3 weeks and can be ordered from the Google Play store.<br />

<br />

£15 of Google Play store credit is also included to sweeten the deal, as well as &#39;some great free content, including your own copy of Transformers: Dark of the Moon&#39;.<br />

<br />

preorder.jpg

<br />

<br />

Click here to view the item

Guest AshtonBRSC

I was so impressed by the price that I immediately ordered two.

I'm very interested to know how much Amazon will (now) price whatever tablet they (presumably) will release in the UK. I really hope this helps Google get people back on to an up to date Android with Google Play as opposed to Amazon's out of date Gingerbread.

Guest comicbookguy

Need to know about mhl/HDMI and host mode support..... otherwise I'd be in already. Anyone want a Vega with a dock, case and VegaICS? Lol

Edit: according to androidpolice, its MHL compatible for HDMI out, so no Host Mode and HDMI out at the same time, and needing the 16gb model IMO. :(

Guest Sp4rkR4t

Yeah excellent price and pulled the trigger on one straight away, bit disappointed that with the uk now getting the devices section on the play store the Galaxy Nexus is still not available to buy direct though.

Guest masterpfa

Anyone moaning about anything the nex7 hasnt got. Need to know that there are more android tablets out there

At these prices? NO

Just pre-ordered a 16GB and considering a few more for the family too. For once I am so pleased that we haven't had the usual $ - £ price conversion, well done Google

Now get the Galaxy Nexus in the Play Store too please, just so we can have a true Google Play store.

Guest rferrett

"Anyone moaning about anything the nex7 hasnt got. Need to know that there are more android tablets out there"

My moan is just that it is sooooo, close. But the combo of lack of internal storage (fair enough to keep price down) and no SD slot (unforgivable) means it just doesn't pass muster. Which I think is a terrible shame. I would have bought one last night if it had an SD slot for sure.

Guest everett_psycho

Based solely on the hukd thread about this I think the lack of SD is the only real thing stopping a lot of folks buying this, personally I like the look of it to bring to work and use on the journey in but 16gb will mean a lot of chopping and changing the content I've loaded on to it. A lot of hope out there that it will have USB host mode and or mhl.

Guest rawly

Very impressed when saw the Specs/Price. BUT! I would have instantly pre-ordered one, but lack of SD expansion makes me double check my thoughts on how this might impact the initial WOW factor........

Guest sipart

16gb seems to be the obvious choice - prices are excluding P+P so extra £9 = £209

I'm no Apple fanboy (Atrix phone is my 3rd android phone and got a Advent Vega) but you can get an Apple refurbished ipad2 16gb delivered (they come in and out of stock) for £259 (1 year guarantee, new battery, new case - they are like new).

I have a Vega as mentioned (and had it for over 1.5 years) and it still gets used plenty - but even now you struggle to get decent tablet apps.

The Nexus is now the best android tablet you can get as it is nice and portable (but lets face it most people just use tablets in the house), cheap and great spec - but if I was recommending a first time normal user on a budget (non geek, semi geek) I would tell them to spend a bit extra and get a refurb ipad2.

Perhaps the Nexus (and the hopefully incoming Amazon Fire 2) will invigorate the Android tablet app development and I will change my mind in a year or so - time will tell.

Guest eLJay

No but if you use the official conversion rate for the 16gb model you are still paying £40 more than you should be. Better but not the same cost that you would get in the USA (about £169). I have family there so I may request a present next time my nephew makes a trip.

Guest everett_psycho
No but if you use the official conversion rate for the 16gb model you are still paying £40 more than you should be. Better but not the same cost that you would get in the USA (about £169). I have family there so I may request a present next time my nephew makes a trip.

Plus sales tax in the states brings it up to not far off our price, there's only a few quid difference. I have commend Google for doing a lot better than most, I was really expecting $250 to translate to £250 like it usually does but we have it for almost the same price as the states for once. And before anyone says it I know they get £16 worth or play store credit in America but I'll live with that

Guest TEOKGaming

Been umming an ahing since it was announced.

It's an awesome thing, and the price is spot-on, but... no SD card slot. Eeehhh...

It's just that one thing. Perfect otherwise.

75% gonna get one, but it would be 100% if not for that one niggling little fault. My music collection alone is 6+GB, and games for Android are getting pretty big now. Ah well.

Guest j1mmy g88

Got one on order, luckily I have a Google Music account, so won't need to have my collection on there as I can stream, and have 80GB on Google Drive, 28GB on Dropbox, so for me that more than makes up for not having an SD card slot. Will definitely be recommending this, already been saying it will be awesome to my work colleagues and they agree. For the price they were stunned.

Guest dbbloke

When did someone last try copying and large files or worse many small files to an sdcard. Yes, speeds have increased just recently, but then you need buy a new one.

Use OTG, it's a ton quicker to copy to a flash drive in general than an sdcard. especially if its a new usb3 one.

Guest Shuflie

Just ordere 16GB one from Currys with the ABER5 code for £189.99 + a possible extra 5% for going through Quidco if they apply both. Code valid for this weekend only.

Guest jmagee

Just ordere 16GB one from Currys with the ABER5 code for £189.99 + a possible extra 5% for going through Quidco if they apply both. Code valid for this weekend only.

I just did this. It has tracked at 1.5% but hopefully will pay at 5% excellent price either way as free delivery :-)

Guest Pondlife

When did someone last try copying and large files or worse many small files to an sdcard. Yes, speeds have increased just recently, but then you need buy a new one.

Use OTG, it's a ton quicker to copy to a flash drive in general than an sdcard. especially if its a new usb3 one.

Yeah except OTG isn't working for storage either.

Guest Shuflie

I just did this. It has tracked at 1.5% but hopefully will pay at 5% excellent price either way as free delivery :-)

I'm not showing any tracking on Quidco yet, did you use the voucher code as well to get the preorder price shown in Curry's basket down to 189.99?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.