Acer Liquid Gallant Duo landing in August with rock bottom price and above average specs

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest chris_kozani

Does anyone know how to root this phone? This is the only thing that holds me from buying this phone.I was satisfied from liquid mt and as it is not going to take ics i think that gallant will be a good upgrade

Guest Ascend

Just taken delivery of a black one. :) I ordered it on Sunday when it was still pre-orders in Expansys and it was delivered about half an hour ago.

First impressions are that it is very responsive but have only just started to explore.

Any questions, fire away.

Guest hecatae

Just taken delivery of a black one. :) I ordered it on Sunday when it was still pre-orders in Expansys and it was delivered about half an hour ago.

First impressions are that it is very responsive but have only just started to explore.

Any questions, fire away.

whats the size like compared to the g300, is much bigger or barely noticeable?

whats the screen like?

how many simcards are you using in it?

Guest Ascend

Not a big difference in size but it is thinner.Obviously slightly bigger.

Screen looks great.

Am using two sims on Three network. One has voice, text and data and the other has data only. Am having a slight problem as where I live does not have a strong 3g signal so they keep switching to Orange and giving an error message. Currently playing with APN settings.

Guest ayziaa

The desire X is also bring also some good specs ( 4 inch and dual core s4) for the price (yet unknown but bettween the One v and the desire c), the huawei G330 was anounced today at the ifa same specs as G300 but dual core. But if paul buy an acer liquid gallant it will definitely be a plus for me lol :) (maybe he will root it) .

Edited by ayziaa

Guest Ascend

As I said before I am trying to use two '3' Sims. I cannot get both to use 3G. One of them always reverts to 2G on the Orange network and shows the roaming symbol even with roaming disabled.

Am I missing something ?

Guest trueno2k

Sorry to crash this thread but I would love to get one of these --> http://android-sale.com/jiayu-g3.html if people here are also getting one for developing ICS & eventually JB on it?... Although it's great just as it is... It's not quite released for purchasing but when it does, I will assume it will go like the clappers, especially in China!...

Edited by trueno2k

Guest adrenalize_

As I said before I am trying to use two '3' Sims. I cannot get both to use 3G. One of them always reverts to 2G on the Orange network and shows the roaming symbol even with roaming disabled.

Am I missing something ?

Sorry if my answer sounds like an answer by the "IT crowd" give me a slap if it does!

I'm assuming that you are not trying to get both SIMs on 3G at the same time as nearly all 3G dual SIM handsets I've seen only do 2G on the second SIM - the ALGD included.

Isn't the roaming setting only for data? On an android phone you usually get the roaming symbol when using just voice.

Technically a 3 SIM does roam when it uses the everything everywhere network. My old Orange sim used to say roaming when using a T-Mobile mast until they merged the networks earlier this year.

My ALGD is winging it's way to me now (from Expansys UK but shipped from France) so I'll be able to have a play next week when it arrives.

I'm using a HTC Desire V dual SIM at the moment (actually a T328w from China - but running the HTC Asia WWE ROM) and I'm like Jekyl and Hyde with it - great size - very thin - usual HTC sense stuff that I like - but very very slow and the bluetooth doesn't work properly with my BMW handsfree! Grrr!

Hope there will be some good community support - I'm fine with stock if it is good - but might like to add some of the HTC features - their dual sim dialler and messaging app is nice as it gives you a send/call button for each SIM instead of a popup menu asking which SIM to use - I have the APK but think it might need more of the HTC system framework to work - and might need root on the ALGD.

Sorry if my answer sounds like an answer by the "IT crowd" give me a slap if it does!

I'm assuming that you are not trying to get both SIMs on 3G at the same time as nearly all 3G dual SIM handsets I've seen only do 2G on the second SIM - the ALGD included.

Isn't the roaming setting only for data? On an android phone you usually get the roaming symbol when using just voice.

Technically a 3 SIM does roam when it uses the everything everywhere network. My old Orange sim used to say roaming when using a T-Mobile mast until they merged the networks earlier this year.

My ALGD is winging it's way to me now (from Expansys UK but shipped from France) so I'll be able to have a play next week when it arrives.

I'm using a HTC Desire V dual SIM at the moment (actually a T328w from China - but running the HTC Asia WWE ROM) and I'm like Jekyl and Hyde with it - great size - very thin - usual HTC sense stuff that I like - but very very slow and the bluetooth doesn't work properly with my BMW handsfree! Grrr!

Hope there will be some good community support - I'm fine with stock if it is good - but might like to add some of the HTC features - their dual sim dialler and messaging app is nice as it gives you a send/call button for each SIM instead of a popup menu asking which SIM to use - I have the APK but think it might need more of the HTC system framework to work - and might need root on the ALGD.

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to use data on both sims at the same time but my concern is that "3" will block my voice and text sim as it is permanently on the Orange 2G network.

My second "3" sim is data only so I get charged if I use it for text or voice.

I have a small amount of data on my voice and text sim which is why I want to use the data only one for data. (I have 5GB for £8 per month on it. Its very old !)

PS No slap needed. :D

PPS I would be interested in rooting too.

Sorry to crash this thread but I would love to get one of these --> http://android-sale.com/jiayu-g3.html if people here are also getting one for developing ICS & eventually JB on it?... Although it's great just as it is... It's not quite released for purchasing but when it does, I will assume it will go like the clappers, especially in China!...

Looking only at the specs it's very attractive but aren't you afraid you'll get a crappy phone? I mean the screen resolution won't make it a good screen (colors, angles...), despite the huge battery it could be very poor quality with some half done software and battery drains. And 8 mpx camera in china means often 5 mpx but rename 8, so be carefull!

Guest adrenalize_

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to use data on both sims at the same time but my concern is that "3" will block my voice and text sim as it is permanently on the Orange 2G network.

My second "3" sim is data only so I get charged if I use it for text or voice.

I have a small amount of data on my voice and text sim which is why I want to use the data only one for data. (I have 5GB for £8 per month on it. Its very old !)

PS No slap needed. :D

PPS I would be interested in rooting too.

Ah yes - it's been a while since I had a 3 SIM and I forgot they don't like 2G use only. I wonder if they do it based on network records of which cells you log on to - or the IMEI of your handset. That's a nice data plan 5GB for £8! You don't want to loose that one!

Guest mark398

Was going to get an Ascend G300 to replace my San Francisco, but now really tempted by the Gallant as an alternative. How does the build quality, touchscreen, and display compare between them? Thanks!

Was going to get an Ascend G300 to replace my San Francisco, but now really tempted by the Gallant as an alternative. How does the build quality, touchscreen, and display compare between them? Thanks!

I have both and am currently trying to decide which one to keep. The Gallant comes with ICS whereas we are still waiting on an "official" ICS for the G300.

There is very little to choose between them on build quality but the bigger screen on the Gallant is cool. Also the twin SIMS on the Gallant is a big advantage but only if you can use two sims. Also 1GB ram on the Gallant gives it a bit of oomph.

Overall I think the Gallant is a better bet.

Edit

PS Gallant also has WiFi Direct.

Edited by Ascend

I have both and am currently trying to decide which one to keep. The Gallant comes with ICS whereas we are still waiting on an "official" ICS for the G300.

There is very little to choose between them on build quality but the bigger screen on the Gallant is cool. Also the twin SIMS on the Gallant is a big advantage but only if you can use two sims. Also 1GB ram on the Gallant gives it a bit of oomph.

Overall I think the Gallant is a better bet.

Edit

PS Gallant also has WiFi Direct.

Doesn't the power button on the back of the device makes it annoying to unlock?

Edited by ayziaa

Doesn't the power button on the back of the device makes it annoying to unlock?

Not a big problem. Takes a day or two to get used to it but most mobiles have a different location for the power button.

Fair to say that it is probably not the best location for for it, right beside the camera lens.

I was looking at a french preview of the liquid gallant on the IFA. The guy said in the video that the device should get a jelly bean update in 3 weeks (video was uploaded today) . His words were " they told us it will be updated in 3 week with jelly bean" gessing "they" means acer. This information should be taken carfully because he also said the device should come out october or november and it's already out so ...

Guest trueno2k
Looking only at the specs it's very attractive but aren't you afraid you'll get a crappy phone? I mean the screen resolution won't make it a good screen (colors, angles...), despite the huge battery it could be very poor quality with some half done software and battery drains. And 8 mpx camera in china means often 5 mpx but rename 8, so be carefull!
Did you have first hand experience with current Chinese manufactured devices that didn't live up to your expectations?...

Seeing as it was stated somewhere that they changed suppliers for the screen cause they didn't like the ones they initially went for, tells me that they aren't skimping/sacrificing on screen quality, also if they do happen to state that is comes with 8mpix camera but package it with a 5mpix camera wouldn't that mean they are breaking some kind of law?... Or are you trying to say that it will come with a crappy lens no matter how high a mpix camera they put in it?...

Did you have first hand experience with current Chinese manufactured devices that didn't live up to your expectations?...

Seeing as it was stated somewhere that they changed suppliers for the screen cause they didn't like the ones they initially went for, tells me that they aren't skimping/sacrificing on screen quality, also if they do happen to state that is comes with 8mpix camera but package it with a 5mpix camera wouldn't that mean they are breaking some kind of law?... Or are you trying to say that it will come with a crappy lens no matter how high a mpix camera they put in it?...

No I didn't have any experience with a chinese manufacturer. I'm just saying that to warn you to know what to expect. I mean, a HD screen at this price will not be very good except maybe if this compagny does a device like the blade that was very very good for the price. About the screen that they choose to change I had a different oppinion, that they didn't made enought money on the phone at the end so they went with cheaper (lower quality) screen. About the camera, I looked at some video on youtube of a french seller, and he stated that the 8 mpx were in fact 5 mpx rename in china. I can give you the link if you speak french. At the end I'm not saying this is crap and you should not buy this, I'm just saying that at this price you will get a plastiky phone with terrible screen colors, camera and a GPS that takes about 15 min to find a signal (yeah that's another thing on mediatek chips) I think that liquid gallant suffer from this problem too. But if you ends up buying the device anyway, I'll be happy if you can prove me wrong.

Edited by ayziaa

Guest trueno2k

No I didn't have any experience with a chinese manufacturer. I'm just saying that to warn you to know what to expect. I mean, a HD screen at this price will not be very good except maybe if this compagny does a device like the blade that was very very good for the price. About the screen that they choose to change I had a different oppinion, that they didn't made enought money on the phone at the end so they went with cheaper (lower quality) screen. About the camera, I looked at some video on youtube of a french seller, and he stated that the 8 mpx were in fact 5 mpx rename in china. I can give you the link if you speak french. At the end I'm not saying this is crap and you should not buy this, I'm just saying that at this price you will get a plastiky phone with terrible screen colors, camera and a GPS that takes about 15 min to find a signal (yeah that's another thing on mediatek chips) I think that liquid gallant suffer from this problem too. But if you ends up buying the device anyway, I'll be happy if you can prove me wrong.

Okay, I will take your views/opinions into consideration... I will just have to wait until people ( devs included ) that will get one will entice me to get one as well...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.