[DEV][ROM][8.1.] CyanogenMod 10 (Android 4.1.2)

Guest KonstaT

With a bit of effort I think I've managed to port Ganster's work for getting pseudo HW decoding working for CM10. The code has been ported - I haven't actually tested it though. Will compile and do so.

Really appreciate your efforts and amazing work from Ganster and KonstaT. Awaiting Youtube HQ patch for ZTE Blade soon along with possible fully functional Camcorder and FM Radio later to make it a complete functional CM10 ROM for ZTE Blade.

Guest jpdoliveira

Wtf with sound ? music phone alarm? I make it max and it restarts time after time to medium or close to it :/

Yes. It happens with me 2. I'm listening to music at maximum volume then when i stop and start again the sound is at medium or so, and i have to raise it again.

exciting news about possible hardware decoding from tital, crossing my fingers! All i have been waiting on is hq youtube, camera and camcorder. I don't use fm radio. An upgrade from 2.3.4 to 4.1.2 would be amazing :) Android 4.2 is supposed to be out any day now, google's press conference was postponed due to hurricane sandy but i'm sure within 2 weeks it will be announced and within a month the sourcecode will be released. I'm hoping that in the future we may be able to run that but i'd be more than happy just with android 4.1.2.

Edited by Guest

Guest Last Boyscout
I'm having a battery drain when using mobile data connection (3G), but it works well with wifi though.

Same problem here, this is the reason why i dont update.

With CM 10 I have a empty battery with aktivated 3G in 11-13 ours standby.

With CM7.2 aproximately 3 days....

EDIT:

In the Stats it is only Mobility Standby, i have not installed GoogleNow

Edited by Last Boyscout

Guest Sparrow1

Just wanted to mention that I still experience 3g reconnect bug after removing "singlepdp" from build.prop BUT after cycling airplane mode I successfully reconnected. Previously it required reboot for me.

Guest archish

+1 I don't remember if it was same with ics

Same problem here, this is the reason why i dont update.

With CM 10 I have a empty battery with aktivated 3G in 11-13 ours standby.

With CM7.2 aproximately 3 days....

EDIT:

In the Stats it is only Mobility Standby, i have not installed GoogleNow

Guest herzblutnord

Does anybody can test quick port of my legacy OMX fix to CM10? Sources are here. I haven't disk space to build ROM myself...

ganster if this will work..... I LOVE YOU ♥ :D:D

Hi all. I know that some of you are still thinking: "should I use cm7 or cm10? Which one is better?" So I decided to make a simple review.

I'm an old zte racer ROM developer and I've been tweaking, building and playing with rom's at quite some time (zte racer is just like zte blade, but with 256mb of ram, no light/proximity sensor and smaller screen).

Until last 2 weeks I was using CM7 nightlies but I decided to try this cm10 builds, just to check the current state of stability and performance.

It's quite interesting to see a low end device capable of running android 4.1 with good performance.

The first thing that I noticed when I made the switch was the increased ram usage. every app uses more ram on cm10. More ram usage isn't always a bad thing, unless you pretend to multitask...

Also, cm10 obviously needs more space, these builds use something between 145mb (with gapps) so a 160mb partition is enough.

I usualy remove some apps from the ROM's, on CM10 I removed these ones:

system\app\OneTimeInitializer.apk -> it's one time initializer, why does it runs on background every boot?

system\app\GoogleFeedback.apk -> well, I don't report crash logs...

system\app\VoiceSearch.apk -> useless if your native language isn't well supported, also I dont like to "speak to my phone"

system\app\Talk.apk -> uses 3g/wifi data all the time, I don't use google talk, it's better to avoid it

system\app\QuickSearchBox.apk -> I can live without this... no need for the "google search widget"

system\app\ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk -> i'm an opera user so i dont have chrome bookmarks. one less thing to sync (less data usage)

system\app\GoogleNowVoiceSearch.apk -> seems to be partially broken on my phone, so I removed it

system\app\VoiceDialer.apk -> never liked it!

system\app\DSPManager.apk -> it's a foreground app, it's always running. constantly uses ram and if you apply any audio efect, your cpu usage will increase a lot! (wastes battery for a little better audio, if well tweaked)

system\app\Term.apk -> terminal emulator on a small screen? using ADB is better

system\app\PicoTts.apk -> useless if you dont use text to speech.

Doing that, the system size is about 134mb, fits the old 138-140mb CM7 style partitions and might as well improve the performance.

Ganster posted a patch that allows us to use legacy omx, so it would probably solve the only reason that keeps people away from using cm9/10, If my internet was better, i would post a build with that patch, but it's still downloading the full cyanogenmod10 repo...

For gaming performance... I only had fruit ninja and doodle jump. Both games were faster under CM7. For example, doodle jump as visible micro stuttering that might disturb the gameplay on cm10, even with overclock and performance cpu governor. CM7 wins here

About multimedia performance... I casualy watch my favorite shows on my phone. I use mxplayer + cifsmanager. It plays avi videos from my linux share, over the air. With CM7, there was a little lag between audio and video and sometimes a few frame drops. With cm10, the same avi video is full of frame drops... CM7 also wins here, the codecs need more optimization in order to work with CM10.

CM7 is much older than CM10, so there are a lot of more patches and customizations on that older android. Things like "auto 2g/3g" when you press the data widget button don't exist. Also I can't seem to find a way to set the time between pressing a key (Q for example) and it displays a popup with a number (1). I used to set that at 250ms, and the CM10 default is much longer than that. So, with cm10 you will loose a lot of extra settings that you have with cm7.

CM10 also doesn't have FM radio neither USB/WIFI tethering. These 2 things might be important to some of you but the tethering should be easier to fix from my point of view.

For some reason, CM10 has much better wifi performance. It has a better signal, better range and better speeds than cm7. Currently I'm experiencing a bug: the wifi signal meter near the battery status isn't accurate. If I'm right in front of my router, it shows full bars. I go away from it, and it is always at full signal until wifi connection drops (no signal). CM10 wins here though.

CM10 play store feels much more faster than CM7, and they are the same versions. Installing/uninstalling software it's faster and smoother.

CM10 uses more caches than CM7, I don't know if this is a bug or feature, but for some reason a lot of aplications have more than 5mb cached (why does gps-status has 5mb of files in cache?) Usualy with cm7 only browser and google play store had a big cache, but never bigger than 5mb. Caching is good unless you are running out of space. CM10 wins here.

CM10 looks good! It's more up to date, has new features and it looks smooth.

So, if you are still on CM7, give CM10 a try :) Sooner or latter, bugs will be fixed. But if you need stability and performance, keep with cyanogenmod7. cyanogenmod10 is not there yet!

I also have to thank all the developers and mainly KonstaT for his work. It's a great ROM with a lot of potencial, I hope it keeps going this way and I can help on whatever you need.

Keep up the great work :)

(wow, this is a lot of text oO)

Edited by TigTex

Guest Pierreism

Only just read about the singlepdp thing and I think it has made a considerable difference on my old Blade handset. Connection seems a lot more reliable than before. Thanks for sussing out the tip, KonstaT.

Guest ColdEmbrace

Wtf with sound ? music phone alarm? I make it max and it restarts time after time to medium or close to it :/

When previously using CM10 I discovered that there is a setting to reduce the volume when you plug in a headset to stop it being too loud for your ears. I then discovered that the volume returns to normal when you unplug your headset. Is that your problem? If so you can turn it off in the audio settings.

Guest tilal6991

Ganster:

I tried to port the code to cm 10 and while it certainly improved the situation by no means was it working fully.

The thing is all I was doing was copying your work across. However the OMX seems to have changed significantly enough that your code doesn't work on the cm 10 base.

I'm not sure if konstat is going to try but over the next few days I'm extremely busy so I can't spend any more time on it. Since you seem to have quite extensive knowledge on the subject you might need to take a look.

Guest Ganster

May be anybody knows how to build only one lib, without rebuilding others? I know about ccache, but anyway it checks kernel changes, and java doing unknown jobs anytime...

Guys, did S2E work on CM10?

Is it ok to install S2E and recover apps backup from titanium?

Yes, it works. You can simply install it from market, do all things what you need in settings, reboot and recover all what you need from TB

Guest KonstaT

May be anybody knows how to build only one lib, without rebuilding others? I know about ccache, but anyway it checks kernel changes, and java doing unknown jobs anytime...

You can use make targetname or mmm. E.g.

make libstagefright -jX
[/CODE] or
[CODE]
mmm frameworks/av/media/libstagefright/

A minor suggestion for the ROM - I think calendar.apk should be removed from /system/app/ now that Google have listed the calendar app in the play store so that it can be installed/updated manually. I've been deleting this manually from the last couple of ROMs and it doesn't cause any problems and saves ~600KB

A minor suggestion for the ROM - I think calendar.apk should be removed from /system/app/ now that Google have listed the calendar app in the play store so that it can be installed/updated manually. I've been deleting this manually from the last couple of ROMs and it doesn't cause any problems and saves ~600KB

No way! Those apps are NOT the same as the opensource app is and can be modified by the cyanogenmod team giving it some extra options. And by the way I've seen a comment earlier stating that the Google Play Calendar doesn't have a widget - though I can't confirm this myself at this moment, if this is true then it's a BIG disadvantage.

Late edit: I stand corrected, the Calendar in Play Store DOES have a widget.

Edited by shezar

No way! Those apps are NOT the same as the opensource app is and can be modified by the cyanogenmod team giving it some extra options. And by the way I've seen a comment earlier stating that the Google Play Calendar doesn't have a widget - though I can't confirm this myself at this moment, if this is true then it's a BIG disadvantage.

Google Calender HAS a widget as I use it myself and I have frozen/removed the Calender that comes with CM10....

Ok, fair enough - I wasn't aware of that. Sounds like it might be better to keep it and let users who don't want it delete it for themselves. Although at the moment I don't think that the CM team have made any mods to the calendar app so the one in the play store has more functionality that the bundled one.

Also, I can confirm that I only have the play store calendar app installed, and I do still have the calendar widget.

Is this achieved by removing "singlepdp"? Because as somebody mentioned before - removing it destroys mms sending (receiving) ability?

The singlepdp tip didn't break mms sending for me with the previous build.

However since CM9 iirc I have to be connected to a wifi network for my mms to be sent - I know this doesn't make much sense, but it's what I observed.

Guest Sparrow1

Strange. But adding that singlepdp didn't fix mms, so it has to be there before removing that entry.

Nope. I had working mms before and removing singlepdp killed them. Adding singlepdp back fixed issue. But this is highly APN and carrier dependent problem so I wouldn't jump so quickly to conclusions.

The singlepdp tip didn't break mms sending for me with the previous build.

However since CM9 iirc I have to be connected to a wifi network for my mms to be sent - I know this doesn't make much sense, but it's what I observed.

MMS sending works with wifi because your phone switches to secondary (mms) APN when using wifi. But there is some bug in ICS and higher that prohibits it from temporarily switching to mms APN when 3G data is enabled. That's just wild guess but enabling singlepdp option seems to fix this behaviour but causes unexpected disconnects from 3G. Of course two things might be completely unrelated.

Edited by Sparrow1