Not seeing ZTE Blade from Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit Wine 1.5.2

Guest John Rose

Guest John Rose

I'm asking this question on this forum even though it's really the wrong forum but I'm getting desperate.

I'm having trouble connecting to my ZTE Blade phone under Cyanogen Mod 7. It connects OK using Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit (on my PC). However, I'm using Basic4Android to develop an Android app. Basic4Android is a Windows program. therefore, I have to run it under Wine. Main problem I'm having is compiling to (it actually creates the .apk file on the PC & installs it to the phone) & running it on my ZTE Blade phone. I've installed the ZTE Blade driver under Wine. However, Basic4Android cannot see the phone. I've tried running adb (under Wine) and it says no devices found. Anybody any ideas?

Guest Felsch

did you try this (from the second step, udev rules). I never had any problems using adb under ubuntu (linux mint and ubuntu). To develop applictions, itś better to virtualize it with virtualbox or vmware. Both can connect usb through the guest os. with that you won't have the problem that it doesn't work as it always almost works. But before that, the host os(ubuntu in your case) should have seen your device before you can patch it to your vm.

how this all works with wine? I don't know, rather, I don't use wine, Eclipse is fine to make android apps :).

Guest John Rose

did you try this (from the second step, udev rules). I never had any problems using adb under ubuntu (linux mint and ubuntu). To develop applictions, itś better to virtualize it with virtualbox or vmware. Both can connect usb through the guest os. with that you won't have the problem that it doesn't work as it always almost works. But before that, the host os(ubuntu in your case) should have seen your device before you can patch it to your vm.

how this all works with wine? I don't know, rather, I don't use wine, Eclipse is fine to make android apps :).

Running WindowsXP in VirtualBox trying to use Basic4Android (which has its own IDE: thus not using Eclipse) to compile my Basic4Android app's code to & run on the phone is very flaky even though I have VirtualBox extension pack installed. So using VirtualBox I'm forced to use the Android emulator which I find to be slow to start. Therefore, I might as well use Basic4Android under Wine and also using the emulator (under Wine) which seems to run faster in Wine than VirtualBox/WindowsXP. Of course, I am able to take my app's .apk file from my PC & transfer it to the sdcard on the phone using Nautilus (Ubuntu's equivalent of Windows Explorer, though I'm sure that you already knew that).

Guest John Rose

Thank you for your reply, Felsch. adb works fine under both host Ubuntu and VirtualBox with guest of Windows XP. However, Basic4Android (which its own IDE running under VirtualBox with guest of Windows XP) can't find the device (when Compiling & Running to it) even though adb sees it but displays:

adb server is out of date. killing...

* daemon started successfully *

List of devices attached

CM7-Blade device

I think the problem is with Basic4Android: I'll contact its author re the above display.

At the moment I have to use the emulator for testing: so I prefer to use Wine rather than VirtualBox with Windows XP.

Guest Felsch

I've been checking out the android emulator a bit, and on my guest it seems to be working fine, no slowness(except when starting).

You could try getting the newest ADT from google and the new tools (now at r20). that might help.

Anyways, let's hope the author of the program can do something about it.