[DEV] [JB] [CM10] [4.1.1] CyanogenMod 10 for the Huawei Ascend G300 [ROM] [Last updated: 26/08]

Guest Dazzozo

Guest unaszplodrmann

Why does everyne have to abuse the term 'trolling'? For the record,

is trolling. See the difference? No? Nevermind... :P

Oh... Proper kernel source! Wooooo! ... It is 'proper' this time, yeah... ?

Guest Dazzozo

I don't know why people are saying it's kernel source - it's actually source to the Wi-Fi module.

Guest Romu_Android

Vive le Cassoulet ! :P

http://youtu.be/L3IzytjvtH4

Edited by Romu_Android

Guest PaulMilbank

Hey Daz, think this may take more than twitter to ask/answer. What does the source for the wifi module allow us to do?I thought the kernel source had a module for the wifi already? Does this compile the bcm wifi module for the /etc/modules directory? Sorry for the questions, kernel source development is one thing, still a long way off learning about rom development.

Guest unaszplodrmann

I don't know why people are saying it's kernel source - it's actually source to the Wi-Fi module.

Ah OK, I thought they'd supplied it as part of full kernel source drop, sans the funked up netfilter module. Of course I culd've answered my own question anyway, by just checking your last github commit ^^ Derp.

Guest Dazzozo

Ah OK, I thought they'd supplied it as part of full kernel source drop, sans the funked up netfilter module. Of course I culd've answered my own question anyway, by just checking your last github commit ^^ Derp.

They don't build it within the kernel build process as a typical module, the Makefile they use actually lives in hardware/broadcom/wlan/something/dhd/linux in their platform. It uses KERNEL_OBJ to link with the kernel, so it's not a case of them intentionally removing it from kernel drops - technically it's part of the platform, but is still GPL and they are still releasing a binary. The various versions of DHD available in the kernel are the upstream ones that aren't actually used and won't work.

Because it's built in the platform and provided by Broadcom originally it's wrapped in a ton of Makefiles that are all incredibly different, so the current problem is getting it to a. build, and b. work, before even integrating it in to the kernel preferably.

Hey Daz, think this may take more than twitter to ask/answer. What does the source for the wifi module allow us to do?I thought the kernel source had a module for the wifi already? Does this compile the bcm wifi module for the /etc/modules directory? Sorry for the questions, kernel source development is one thing, still a long way off learning about rom development.

It compiles Dongle Host Driver, the low level Wi-Fi driver which is tied quite closely to the kernel. It's quite susceptible to breakage with a few kernel edits, and eventually hex editing the module isn't enough. The source release (providing we get it building all good) allows us to be more adventurous with the kernel (as we can just build it as part of the kernel so it never breaks) and potentially fix the Wi-Fi hang with custom kernels, as we'll have full control over all source.

^ above regarding kernel containing source

Guest Lidds123

Good work but can you upload the rom version fixed please?

Oh what a amazing suggestion! I bet dazzozo never thought of that. It's a good job you are here, I really really don't know what he would hav done without you....

Or in other words, when it I ready it will be uploaded just wait :)

Guest ChrisPNE

Wouldn't it be better if this thread was locked since no development is taking place in it?

Then we wouldn't have to put up with this perpetual cycle of inane questions and condescending replies.

Guest Lidds123

Wouldn't it be better if this thread was locked since no development is taking place in it?

Then we wouldn't have to put up with this perpetual cycle of inane questions and condescending replies.

Or open up a separate discussion thread ?

Guest Davidoff59

Or just wait until its fixed and working as you all know you will be bombarding this thread with help requests and fix requests if its released with bugs or missing features.

Or just wait until its fixed and working as you all know you will be bombarding this thread with help requests and fix requests if its released with bugs or missing features.

yeah just wait

Guest Dazzozo

Right, I guess it's time I started maintaining this thread again.

Some of you may have noticed this: http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDY5MjU=

It's important, and it's something that me and some other people were asking Huawei to release for a couple of weeks. It's the source code for the dhd_4330.ko module that I have spoke of many times. It was released in a form that is pretty awkward for us, and we fixed it. We can now build the Wi-Fi driver as part of the kernel as of about a hour or so ago.

Why is this important? Because it gives us a lot more portability. Problems with using a dhd_4330.ko ripped out of the stock ROM began to arise. Now, we simply don't need to care about Wi-Fi as it's rebuilt every time to match the kernel for that build. This means we can happily update the kernel to any version and not have problems with DHD. This might also happen to fix the Wi-Fi causing a system lock. If not, who cares, we now have full control over all the code and can fix it ourselves.

Going forwards, there's a CM9 re-release imminent. Why CM9? Because there's a few specific issues with CM10 that need to be worked out -- it's all minor stuff, nothing is broken, but it makes more sense (at least to me) to fix the things that are in both CM9 and CM10, plus, people probably want something in their hands after such a wait. I know of 2 issues in CM9 and after that I'm pretty stuck on what to fix. :P