[MOD] [SCRIPT] Multiboot via loop file [19/12]

Guest Snap.IT

Guest elrond_bs

Thanks for the clarification. :) It seems at least some of the problems are caused by my CWM version. As for ext, I tried with formated empty ext and later with disabled A2SD for the loop ROM, before installing it, and still had some issues.

Anyway, the loop ROM I'm using now doesn't have big problems so I'm OK with it and don't plan to change it for now. :) If I decide to experiment with multiboot again and run into problems, I'll sure post a logcat and recovery log, before reporting. And I'll try your CWM touch anyway. Thanks. :)

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest Snap.IT

Thanks for the clarification. :) It seems at least some of the problems are caused by my CWM version. As for ext, I tried with formated empty ext and later with disabled A2SD for the loop ROM, before installing it, and still had some issues.

Anyway, the loop ROM I'm using now doesn't have big problems so I'm OK with it and don't plan to change it for now. :) If I decide to experiment with multiboot again and run into problems, I'll sure post a logcat and recovery log, before reporting. And I'll try your CWM touch anyway. Thanks. :)

It should work just like it does installed to nand apart from anything unmounting the sdcard. Titanium SHOULD work fine too, it really doesn't need exclusive locks but it does require them anyway so it's just lazy code writers that couldn't for the world of them figure out how to write it properly. (the fix is to remove all locks and replace them with a simple check for safe writing to disk).

I didn't mean to come off as an arse. :)

One thing to keep in mind, using a script to cache the SD-Card makes a HUGE difference, i am going to include one of those in my next version but until then you can use Burstlams script.

It adds to the stability of running it too since some apps will FC rather than ask you if you want to wait for response.

I've been running Mokee as my replacement for access to a GB version for quite a while now, i like it simply because i can fit the navbar into the statusbar and have it on the bottom, it also includes some other goodies that are vital for me.

If you run S2E you should be able to share data with NAND and other loop roms just fine as long as they are the same android version, it won't work with different versions since the latest will upgrade your apps to a version that none of the others will support.

You CAN make your own mount script for each set of ROM's and make a separate loop file for each and run S2E which will go with whatever SD-Ext is mounted at boot if you are a dev and running several similar versions and want to try out loads of apps for them.

CWM 6.0.2.3 will be available soon if you want to try it out, i just have to fix one thing in the kernel to make the USB mounting work, as it is right now it will do everything except mount the sdcard properly.

Guest gunapriyan

Snap, I am facing the following error message in beginning:

"This script needs root to run some operations, you're not root so I'm exiting"...

How can i solve this issue?

Regards,

Guna

Guest Snap.IT

Snap, I am facing the following error message in beginning:

"This script needs root to run some operations, you're not root so I'm exiting"...

How can i solve this issue?

Regards,

Guna

Trick question, who is not root? You're not root! Or you are depending on whether you can type su in a terminal.

Trust me, you don't want to ask again, i had a much longer and MUCH nastier reply available for you before i remembered who you are and took pity on you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peetu20

Hey, what i am doing wrong?

I followed your guide to install konstat cm10 as loop rom but when i select option to boot one of rom(nand or loop) and i selected boot to cm10 loop. But my device got bootloop,,,

Booting to nand via script works well. I am running konstat cm10(i just wanted to try ur script, thats the reason why i install same rom in loop, what i am running...

• 2 months later...
Guest jpeg729

I have been trying this out on my ZTE Blade with KonstaT's cm10 installed and it doesn't work.

"losetup -f" does nothing

"mknod /dev/block/loop100 -b 7 100" works but losetup won't use it

"losetup /dev/block/loop100 someImageFile" does nothing

"losetup" run after all that doesn't list /dev/block/loop100

su does work. It is my own build with KonstaT's patches but I did try using busybox from his 2012-11-16 build. Same results.

I guess I'll have to recompile busybox or something.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Snap.IT

I have been trying this out on my ZTE Blade with KonstaT's cm10 installed and it doesn't work.

"losetup -f" does nothing

"mknod /dev/block/loop100 -b 7 100" works but losetup won't use it

"losetup /dev/block/loop100 someImageFile" does nothing

"losetup" run after all that doesn't list /dev/block/loop100

su does work. It is my own build with KonstaT's patches but I did try using busybox from his 2012-11-16 build. Same results.

I guess I'll have to recompile busybox or something.

just to bring this to the front page.

Why?

This is the first time since i left that i have even read this forum.

I could have stuck around and developed it more but somehow, people don't seem to read what i write and go off on their own magical adventures ignoring direct instructions.

I have a new version but i'm not so sure i'll post it, i'll post a version to the Blade III forum.

I still get PM's about things i haven't been involved with for 7 months and things i was NEVER involved with, i even get PM's about users new phones asking me to verify their upgrade procedure on a phone i don't own and have never developed for...

Some people are just downright strange.

Guest Snap.IT

Lol, yeah they're so much better at following instructions on the Blade III forum. :D

Welcome back anyway. ;)

Cheers my Finnish friend, i hope all is well and if they don't behave they get the hose again. ;)

Guest elrond_bs

Well, just don't forget that there are also many people who really appreciate your work and have never bothered you. ;) It wouldn't be fair for us to suffer, because of a bunch of wining noobs. But of course, I understand your frustration. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Snap.IT
Well, just don't forget that there are also many people who really appreciate your work and have never bothered you. ;) It wouldn't be fair for us to suffer, because of a bunch of wining noobs. But of course, I understand your frustration. :)

Thank you and yeah, i know there are good people like yourself in this forum.

Guest canne

Sorry if it's a silly question, but is there a way to install Ubuntu Touch using a loop file?

I just tried cm 10.1 (KonstaKang) as ROM, but it stopped at green android.

But if I try to install saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip I get an error of "strange ROM"

Edited by canne

Guest Snap.IT
Sorry if it's a silly question, but is there a way to install Ubuntu Touch using a loop file?

I just tried cm 10.1 (KonstaKang) as RPM, but it stopped at green android.

But if I try to install saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip I get an error of "strange ROM"

It's possible to adapt the script for any ROM. What is needed is a change to the script so that it recognizes the updater-script and init.rc.

I'll look into it when i get home.

Guest canne

If you want me to experiment, I should be good in shell scripting, but I need to work on Android, sinche at home I only have Mac or Linux on a VM

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Snap.IT
If you want me to experiment, I should be good in shell scripting, but I need to work on Android, sinche at home I only have Mac or Linux on a VM

It's open for anyone to modify and release under their own name if you mention where you got it from.

It has been done all over xda without mention already but i expect more from modaco devs.

Guest Snap.IT
please make it flashable :(

If you cannot use terminal to unpack it i don't want you to use it.

So no, i can just imagine the long line of posts for help from someone who can't even follow one simple instruction to install it.

Trust me, if you're having problems with that you don't want to use this.

• 10 months later...
Guest raizor6th

hi snap.it

I'm seeing " This script needs root to run some operations, you're not root so I'm exiting." on terminal emulator. i'm using zte blade running adroid 4.4.2 cm11 by zeelog, what should I do?

thanks

edit:

Got it now :-) sorry.. will ask later if there's a problem.

edit:

=================================================

Loop ROM converter by Snap.IT (www.modaco.com) =================================================

Do you want to make an image file to hold the system for this ROM? (not neccessary if it's an upgrade from a previous ROM) Y for yes N for no.

y

What do you want to call your system image? (give it a name you'll remember, like cm-7-system for a cm-7 loop install)

cm-10.1-system

What size do you want your system image to be (in MB's)? (WARNING: if you make it too small your ROM +other packages like gapps might not fit, make it 250)

307200+0 records in

307200+0 records out

314572800 bytes transferred in 59.051 secs (5327137 bytes/sec)

losetup: /sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files/cm-10.1-system: No such file or directory

Could not stat /dev/block/loop10 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?

losetup: /dev/block/loop10: No such file or directory

Do you want to make an image file to hold the data for this ROM? (not necessary if it's an upgrade from a previous ROM or you want to share a data image with another ROM) Y for yes N for no.

Edited by raizor6th