Orange San Diego screen timeout issue

Guest Roger Barnett

Guest Roger Barnett

I don't understand why this happens, does anybody else experience this problem?

I set my screen timeout to, say, 1 minute through Settings-->Display-->Screen timeout.

Immediately afterwards things are fine and the screen times out as expected, but some time afterwards, after I have made some other actions with the phone, ie general use, the OSD seems to 'forget' that I set the screen timeout. So then, if I leave, say, the gmail app on the screen, the screen does not time out and just sits there lit up sapping battery. I'm not sure whether it's just certain apps where this happens, but it seems random. It also sometimes happens with the home screen.

Am I missing something, or is this a fault with my phone? I've had no problems like this with my old T-mobile pulse - it always times out and turns the screen off.

Guest Roger Barnett

If you have certain apps open in the background or foreground, they can stop the screen from timing out as they have the permission to do so

If that's the case, it slightly defeats the object of having a screen timeout feature within the Android OS !!?? I would expect this feature to overide all apps ??.

Like I said before, my old Pulse 8220 with Cyanogen mod / Froyo 2.2 performed flawlessly in terms of the screen timeout; i had pretty much the same apps installed as on the OSD.

Edit:- Can I modify the app's ability to prevent the phone from sleeping?

Edited by Roger Barnett

Guest BlueMoonRising

If that's the case, it slightly defeats the object of having a screen timeout feature within the Android OS !!?? I would expect this feature to overide all apps ??.

Like I said before, my old Pulse 8220 with Cyanogen mod / Froyo 2.2 performed flawlessly in terms of the screen timeout; i had pretty much the same apps installed as on the OSD.

Edit:- Can I modify the app's ability to prevent the phone from sleeping?

Imagine if you're using it as a sat nav. You don't want it turning off every few minutes so apps can override the default behaviour. It only applies to apps that really need it normally and you accept the permissions when you install it. You can check the permissions in app manager but they're not normally changeable unless there's an option in the app itself.