ZTE V970 Review

Guest PaulOBrien

what do you think of it? I am pleased with mine, the battery life seems to have improved.

The only thing that irks me is that generic pocket-fluff seems to get in the ear-piece grille (but that is probably true of any phone I guess!)

Looking forward to a JellyBean ROM in the near future!

So far,so good. It's an upgrade from my Blade, so the screen is bigger and the phone generally is smoother & faster (which is as I'd expect). I haven't noticed any problems with the battery, I can get >1.5 days out of a full charge, but I'm mostly surfing or checking twitter whle traveling to & from work.

I'm using the etotalk ROM at the moment but plan to move over to Bruno's ROM @ xda eventually. I'm a bit disappointed that this seems to be th only option for a custom ROM (definitely different from the Blade). JB would be nice, but I won't hold my breath waiting on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest noobzilla

Yep, I have it here - took 6 days from ordering, to having it in my hand.

It was already in english and mostly charged when I powered it on, so was able to have a play with it straight away.

Rooting and installing a custom ROM was very very quick and simple too.

I am very impressed with it so far - the only thing I can fault it on, is hardware video decoding doesn't seem to work very well at all (which may just be the ROM I have on it), but software decoding (using MX player) is fine. Other than that, very slick and smooth.

Guest t.reddings

I'm interested in buying a gel cover. Can anyone confirm if accessories for the U970 will fit the V970?

Mine arrived with two cases, Both cases had u970 on them, they fit perfectly.

Guest t.reddings

Mine arrived yesterday. It was rooted and had a ROM installed already. So playstore and all google apps were there. I also used Aliexpress but a different seller.

So far it's great. I love the dual sim functionality. A big upgrade from my Blade 2.

I have a v970, nice roms, great value - but ... NO MAGNETIC SENSOR ( sorry for shouting), some apps behave strangely without this (google skymap for example, I imagine street view will be knackered as well).

Incidently, after running a compass app (shows permanent north pointing, plus an error) the memory became corrupted, and android started reporting "unfortunately, contacts has stopped" on boot, and similarly for other apps. Clearing davlick and fixing permissions and erasing contacts data seems to have fixed it, but some applications then needed reinstalling.

Guest mostertruck

YOU GUYS NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT HOW MUCH RADIATION THESE PHONES GIVE OFF???? SAR LEVELS !!!! I GUESS THEY ARE HOT HOT HOT!!!!.

Edited by mostertruck

No worries bro, I always wear my tinfoil hat when using my android, also people dont stare at me when I talk to the voices in my head now I use the handsfree!.

Guest t.reddings

No magnetic sensor - so no compass detected on my reflashed v970... yet here the seller claims it does have a magnetic field sensor?

http://www.chinatron...TE-V970/cPath,1

<i>Support Electronic Compass Function</i>

Can someone with the original rom confirm the compass works/ is present?

I too spotted this error. I have the XDA Developer ROM. I have installed smart tools and can't use the compass. Not a big issue as it was never used on the old phone but may be needed for other apps. I checked the camera and it must have some sensor as I took a panoramic photo without issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest t.reddings

Can anybody comment on how much google maps and CoPilot would be affected by the fact that there is no magnetic sensor.

Thanks a million!!

I've used both Co Pilot and Maps for navigation without issue. I still have not worked out what this magnetic sensor error is and if it is a false reading.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest t.reddings

Okay I've been using for over a month and wanted to give an update.

Still everything working well. Battery life etc no issues. I still have the magnetic sensor error in smart tools app but this has not affected navigation nor maps.

My only gripe was the Internal SD car filled up too quickly with all the apps I wanted. So reading Brunos thread @ XDA I saw there was un update to both the ROM and a way to disable the Internal SD.

I took the big step last night and it worked. You need to install SP Tools and you need drivers for the phone to 'scatter the internal memory' The new ROM from Bruno 3.1was installed with Aroma. A very neat system, I now have more internal memory and most apps can be moved to my external SD card.

So in summary. A great phone, but If like me you have loads of apps you may have to disable the Internal SD card as it is too small. All details over at XDA.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the review.

I am interested to buy the dual sim phone, but hesitating between the ZTE V970 or the Acer Gallant Duo. Please your opinion.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest freeware82

Can anyone help? I want to use this phone to test apps made by Eclipe. But in debugger mode the Win7 can't recognise the phone. In the win7 device manager indicated unrecognized MT65xx Android Phone, and i can't find driver. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.