How to restore GB from ICS

Guest Mabcin

Thanks for the link. I also want to downgrade and I upgraded to the official ICS yesterday and I hate it.

What do you do with that download as I see it is a zip file? Total newbie here so idiot proof instructions would be appreciated.

Guest Hogweed

Full instructions are included in a PDF in the ZIP file.

But basically it is two update files. One called the "middle package" which you run first to allow the bootloader to accept a downgrade and then the full installation of B895. So you follow the instructions and run both update packages one after the other.

There are other downgrade methods but they are more of a hack and potentially more dangerous but this is the official one and that's what you should try first.

Edited by Hogweed

Thanks for that. However when I click on the Download link to open it using WinRAR, nothing happens. I have tried saving it to my desktop and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?

Edit - sorry, I forgot to say, I am using Vista.

Edited by Guest

I have finally managed to downgrade and what a relief to be rid of Vodafone's ICS.

I had a few problems, such as not being able to paste the second dload folder to the SD card, but finally overcame that by pasting it to a folder on my pc and dragging it to the SD card folder.

Should I have been able to back up the apps I had installed as they didn't back up this time or when I upgraded to ICS? It's a bit of a pain to download them all again.

thanks for the link, rolled back with this and everything is back working well apart from the browser, its hanging all the time...any suggestions, i was thinking of upgrading and rolling back again?

Guest tcpaulh

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons you guys want to downgrade? What do you dislike in ICS? Or is it just pure nostalgia? ;)

/splutter ;-)

1. Dictionary broken.

2. Caller ID broken - it doesn't display in time.

3. No hardware accelerated UI despite documented written promises.

4. Reverts to internal storage after reboot even if you tell it to use the SD card.

5. Sluggish and slows down over time leading to force closes etc - bad memory management.

6. Still defaults back to factory ringtones when connected to PC or powered off.

7. The security flaw that allows the sim card to be destroyed when visiting a malicious url has not been patched.

Guest pearsonian

hi i am planning to downgrade from ics to gingerbread but having a little problem,in the instructions it says to copy the dl folder in the middle package folder to the root directory of the sd card,but when i try to paste it in,seems there is already a dl folder with stuff in it,do i replace this or merge with the new one? I do`nt want to make an error.The one that is already present says update.APP and is 632.8 in size ,the new one is same name update.APP and is 1.1 in size,am i replacing this file completely? or leaving it in the dl folder along with the new one.I am guessing the 632.8 is probably the update to 4.0.

Edited by pearsonian

Guest Redflake

hi i am planning to downgrade from ics to gingerbread but having a little problem,in the instructions it says to copy the dl folder in the middle package folder to the root directory of the sd card,but when i try to paste it in,seems there is already a dl folder with stuff in it,do i replace this or merge with the new one? I do`nt want to make an error.The one that is already present says update.APP and is 632.8 in size ,the new one is same name update.APP and is 1.1 in size,am i replacing this file completely? or leaving it in the dl folder along with the new one.I am guessing the 632.8 is probably the update to 4.0.

I've just downgrded using this method.

Just replace the one already on the sd card with the one in the middle package.

After its flashed used the one for B895 then when its flashed you'll be back on GB.

Guest pearsonian

thanks mate,i couldnt decide if i wanted 4.0 or not but i have noticed my battery life has gone alot worse,a few other problems also like browser seems to be sticking abit on scroll though apps working fine.what was your experience which prompted you to downgrade.

Guest Redflake

thanks mate,i couldnt decide if i wanted 4.0 or not but i have noticed my battery life has gone alot worse,a few other problems also like browser seems to be sticking abit on scroll though apps working fine.what was your experience which prompted you to downgrade.

Very similar to your experiance plus all the problems "tcpaulh" quoted.

You'll be offered the official upgrade to B936 if you change your mind again.

I'll wait till something better comes along.

Edited by Redflake

Guest DaddyBaddy

I'd just like to say thanks for the info on downgrading the Huawei G300 from ICS back to GB using the official Huawei method.

I don't like to faff about with modding, rooting or custom ROM'ming.

My fresh-out-of-the-box phone came running GB on B885.

An OTA update came through the same day upgrading me to B892.

I did an OTA update last weekend from B892 to B895.

B895 then allowed me to officially update to ICS (B936)

Been running ICS B936 for a few days. Yes its easier to use and prettier to look at for sure, but it's also got problems I just can't live with like heavy RAM usage and broken dictionaries. Simply not good enough.

I used this link to get the official Huawei G300 ICS to GB downgrade package.

Did it first time with no errors. :D I used a formatted 2 gig microSD card.

Now back on good old Gingerbread.

No messing about with custom / unofficial ROM's or ClockWorkMod etc. for me!

Happy again :P

Guest pearsonian

thanks back on good old 2.3 i agree i will wait a while,i only updated out of curiosity anyway.Anyway i downloaded an ics theme from the play store looks identical on the home screen.4.0 from what ive read does have issues with scrolling speed on other devices,why google needs to keep meddling with perfectly good os i will never know.But not much alternative,i tried windows 8 on my pc and it was awful,icant see that taking off on phones.

Guest elnoelio

Does anyone know if this downgrade will work for Vodafone Ireland too? Currently on b936 and its terrible here.

Edited by elnoelio

Guest dneill2006

Does the HUAWEI downgrade tool "Downgrade from ICS to GB for Vodafone (U8815)" work if using a custom ROM based on B944?

Or would I have to flash stock ICS ROM then downgrade?