[Kernel] 308 Kernel for official ICS roms, Updated 07/02/2013

Guest PaulMilbank

Guest grizzlyflea

Yep daz was correct. Although not all things broke. From what I could see the wifi became broken but the phone booted about 50% faster and touch was more responsive

Guest PaulMilbank

Glad it is working for people. I am not sure how to include init.d support, so if someone can point me to a guide on enabling it, I'm sure I can add it in.

Will include the low freqs in the next kernel. I am not a fan myself because I prefer the race to idle/race to sleep approach, but it would not be hard to branch the code and make a version with the low clocks included.

Guest Dazzozo

Yep daz was correct. Although not all things broke. From what I could see the wifi became broken but the phone booted about 50% faster and touch was more responsive

Touch has to be a placebo. We're the ones who started out with the new touchscreen drivers originally.

There's probably some graphics changes made that you're feeling, though.

Guest Dazzozo

Glad it is working for people. I am not sure how to include init.d support, so if someone can point me to a guide on enabling it, I'm sure I can add it in.

Will include the low freqs in the next kernel. I am not a fan myself because I prefer the race to idle/race to sleep approach, but it would not be hard to branch the code and make a version with the low clocks included.

Just ifdef it? :o

Guest PaulMilbank

Yeah Daz's kernel is a long way past this one and includes all the CAF fixes because he has rebased his kernel on the CAF source tree (I think) and also it has all his fixes to make CM9 work. He has also included the newly released kernel wifi module unto his code so it is no surprise wifi broke with mine. This is for stock type roms only and possibly miui which is based on stock 4.03.

Guest PaulMilbank

Was about to say, touch should be no better than Daz's kernel as the touch drivers are from there. Dazzozo, what do you mean by ifdef it? I am still learning about all this and building for fun.

Guest Dazzozo

Was about to say, touch should be no better than Daz's kernel as the touch drivers are from there. Dazzozo, what do you mean by ifdef it? I am still learning about all this and building for fun.

You don't need to branch for a really minor change like that. Wrap the changes in an ifdef, similar to CONFIG_MSM7X27AA_OVERCLOCK, and enable that for the builds you want those settings for.

We only really branch to keep code for separate pastry versions separate, or even complete kernel versions.

Guest merchan

So... played gta3 for an hour and did not get as much stuttering and the phone did not froze to death as would always happen. Various other games don't get stuttering at all anymore. The play music app doesn't lag horribly, unlocking the phone is smooth and fast, using the keyboard doesn't lag, some apps load faster... finally it is possible to get a great ICS experience with this phone.

Thank you and good job everyone.

Guest Dazzozo

I see, thanks very much Daz. Will look into that rather than creating a new branch. Is init.d support added in the boot.img?

Yeah, people seem to use the term "kernel" and "boot.img" interchangeably. :P

Guest fogoticus

Wow this kernel is something! First thing I noticed, the nice quicker response, and the extra whapping amazing 5 score in antutu benchmark. As well as deadline IO.

What I'd really want to see in the next update/s: more than 2 fingers on the screen.

Guest PaulMilbank

looks good! suggestion - put [KERNEL] in the thread title (it helps people notice it) :D

Cheers, looks like a mod has done that for me, I don't remember putting it in!