Can I upgrade to CM9 without rooting?

Guest nabby21

Guest nabby21

Hi, so I upgraded OTA(over the air) my non rooted device to ICS. I didnt like the faults, and so reverted back to gingerbread. I however want to upgrade to CM9 but was wondering if I NEED my device to be rooted 1st or if I can do it with out? And would people universally say that this is the best rom out at the moment? Thanks

Guest Predackon

Hi, so I upgraded OTA(over the air) my non rooted device to ICS. I didnt like the faults, and so reverted back to gingerbread. I however want to upgrade to CM9 but was wondering if I NEED my device to be rooted 1st or if I can do it with out? And would people universally say that this is the best rom out at the moment? Thanks

No you need install drivers for your PC/Laptop . Then you have to root then install CWM and then you can flash your favorite ROM.

About best ROM there is no best depends on which you like. According to this recent poll infusion seems to be the most popular.

Read this thread it has everything you'll need http://www.modaco.com/topic/359033-compilationlist-%E2%98%85%E2%98%85%E2%98%85-romskernelsrecoverysmodstutorialsoriginal-firmware-updated-3011%E2%98%85%E2%98%85%E2%98%85/page__mode__show Thank's to arranhs

Before flashing a new ROM it’s always a good idea to:

***create a backup****

*wipe data/factory reset

*wipe cache partition

*go to Mounts and Storage and select format /system

*go to advanced and Wipe Dalvik Cache

*Fix Permissions

Reboot and enjoy your new rom.

Hope it helps

Guest nabby21

Thanks, that was very hopeful. Looks like I'll have to root then. I was putting it off. So what's the best way to back up an unrooted device? And can I restore on the new rom?

Guest blademaster123

There was this method where you back up your imei and something else butt im not sure if it still works normally when i flash different roms i make a backup in CWM, saved me 2 times :D

Guest psionandy

Thanks, that was very hopeful. Looks like I'll have to root then. I was putting it off. So what's the best way to back up an unrooted device? And can I restore on the new rom?

hopefully most of your data is synced on your google account....

so what was it you wanted to back up?

Edited by psionandy

Guest nabby21

Like my sms's, my whatsapp message log, those kinds of things really? Nothing I can't live without mind. So I'm on B895 at the moment and I'm unrooted. I'm either going to try infusion or cm9. What order shall I do things in? Should I root 1st and foremost? Or should I do the OTA update to 936-F? Please help us out, and sorry I'm a total noob