Jiayu G3 rooted / permanent recovery / ICS spell check fixed & Jelly Bean Update.

Guest putbinoot

hi putbinoot,

thanks for posting the jelly bean update, was waiting for the full offical one, but very tempted to give it a try.

when you say lose all your apps, i assume you mean any you have down load from play store?

or does this include google stuff, play store included or is that part of the rom?

any better than the one in the link i posted?

sorry for the the questions, just want to know what to expect if i give it a go.

Maybe I can help. Just updated to JB 4.1.2 beta 1. After update it includes play store, gmail\ google search (no google maps but can be downloaded from play store)

A couple of chinese apps that can be uninstalled or disabled.

Seems a worthy update

Edited by clivem

Guest putbinoot

hi putbinoot,

thanks for posting the jelly bean update, was waiting for the full offical one, but very tempted to give it a try.

when you say lose all your apps, i assume you mean any you have down load from play store?

or does this include google stuff, play store included or is that part of the rom?

any better than the one in the link i posted?

sorry for the the questions, just want to know what to expect if i give it a go.

yeah maybe not my best explanation, Google play etc is there you just have to download your apps and set everything up again as if phone was new.

yeah maybe not my best explanation, Google play etc is there you just have to download your apps and set everything up again as if phone was new.

thanks clivem and putbinoot,

thats what i thought would be what happened, but just wanted to be sure, think i may it a try.

thanks for the info :D

Guest noobzilla

just got this phone two days ago and was wondering with the jelly bean update is root lost and if so can it just be re rooted (if thats a thing) withg the bin4ry script?

and because its beta what bugs have you noticed if any?

thanks

Guest putbinoot

just got this phone two days ago and was wondering with the jelly bean update is root lost and if so can it just be re rooted (if thats a thing) withg the bin4ry script?

and because its beta what bugs have you noticed if any?

thanks

update is pre rooted and I've not found any bugs yet.

Guest noobzilla

update is pre rooted and I've not found any bugs yet.

ah okay thank you ill try it on the weekend :) sorry to be annoying but if i do update to jelly bean and i have a nandroid for ics will i be able to use it to restore ics as i had an ascend g300 and the only to get it back from ics to gb was to back up the imei and do some wizardry

Guest putbinoot

ah okay thank you ill try it on the weekend :) sorry to be annoying but if i do update to jelly bean and i have a nandroid for ics will i be able to use it to restore ics as i had an ascend g300 and the only to get it back from ics to gb was to back up the imei and do some wizardry

With the G300 the problem with ICS back to GB and vice versa was they where on different basebands ICS and JB are on the same so as long as you use the same app ie CWM for the backup and restore there should not be a problem. So do your back up and also keep a copy on a pc or dropbox account for safe keeping then do the update. I tried the update using the onboard system update app but that failed, i then flashed using the spflash tool which went ok. I have had alot of problems with using the flash tool before with drivers and operation procedure but I think after looking around alot I have got it down to the right drivers and procedure which is listed in post one. If I can help with any thing feel free to ask me or anybody else in here i am sure they will be happy to help.

Guest timmie897

I don't have a keyboard dictionary (dutch) on the 4.1.2 beta.

I already tried the ics spellcheck fix on the jellybean beta but it didn't work.

Is there a similar fix for 4.1.2, if so where can I find this?

Thanks ^^

Guest putbinoot

I don't have a keyboard dictionary (dutch) on the 4.1.2 beta.

I already tried the ics spellcheck fix on the jellybean beta but it didn't work.

Is there a similar fix for 4.1.2, if so where can I find this?

Thanks ^^

Spell check fix is for ICS it should not be needed for JB, just select dutch. system settings/language & input/android keyboard settings/input language and select dutch.

Guest timmie897

Well, I can select it but the dictionary is empty.

English works fine :/

I've tried the Swiftkey keyboard and it works fine, so I'll use that instead.

Guest putbinoot

guys I'm about to get this phone (after Chinese New Year and G4 release, at least)..does the stock ROM have bloatware, and other Chinese crap?

btw, I'd love to have CM on this phone..any news on custom ROMs / developer interest for this device? TIA

can't remember if there was any, if there was I don't have them now so must have just uninstalled them. G4 is looking to be march April launch which probably means may. No development yet on this forum there is a lewa ROM and no doubt some others.

@putbinoot, can you enlighten me about the new jb beta? i rooted and cwm-ed my ics phone, and thinking about upgrading to jb. it is possible to update through cwm (with a backup and a full wipe beforehand, of course), or it's only possible via spflash/builtin update app? also will i lose my cwm in the process?

Edited by arelim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geery101

Thanks a lot. Guide was really useful!

I have a problem though with my sdcard. In recovery my phone is not able to mount to the sd card, neither can he make a back-up on the sd-card.

Anyone an idea for this solution? (SD card was formatted 2 days ago so I don't think that's the problem)

Guest putbinoot

Thanks a lot. Guide was really useful!

I have a problem though with my sdcard. In recovery my phone is not able to mount to the sd card, neither can he make a back-up on the sd-card.

Anyone an idea for this solution? (SD card was formatted 2 days ago so I don't think that's the problem)

Format card using phone again, this should solve it, back up it's contents to a pc using micro sd adapter if it has anything on it you want to keep.

Guest putbinoot

@putbinoot

I translated part of your guide for an italian forum, obviously all credits and thanks to you, I explicited that.

No problem cf67 hope it helps you all out.

Guest putbinoot

@putbinoot, can you enlighten me about the new jb beta? i rooted and cwm-ed my ics phone, and thinking about upgrading to jb. it is possible to update through cwm (with a backup and a full wipe beforehand, of course), or it's only possible via spflash/builtin update app? also will i lose my cwm in the process?

My update failed using the on board app and i had to use spflash tool which is easy once you work out how which i have explained in first post. There may be a version out there that can be done using cwm if I see it I will post a link. I have gone back to ICS as netflix and bbc iplayer do not work under JB. Also you will loose cwm but you can put it back on using mobile uncle, also the update is pre rooted so you won't have to do that again. Edited by putbinoot

Guest Geery101

Format card using phone again, this should solve it, back up it's contents to a pc using micro sd adapter if it has anything on it you want to keep.

Thanks for the quick answer. I tried that, didn't work. I still get the message 'E:Can't mount /sdcard/'.

I searched the internet for people with the same problem. On other phones what seems to be working is installing another recovere (e.g. rogue recovery).

Is there another recovery working on this phone? Or do you know another solution?

Edit: I tried to flash CWM recovery 6.0.2.8 and TWRP out of Mobile uncle tools. Unsuccessful, always ended up in the first CWM Recovery v.5.5.0.4.

I know the logical answer: use flashtool, but there I also have a problem I can't solve using google: When I attach the phone I get: BROM ERROR can't open com port. I installed the drivers like a million times. I'm really out of ideas here :)

Edited by Geery101

My update failed using the on board app and i had to use spflash tool which is easy once you work out how which i have explained in first post. There may be a version out there that can be done using cwm if I see it I will post a link. I have gone back to ICS as netflix and bbc iplayer do not work under JB. Also you will loose cwm but you can put it back on using mobile uncle, also the update is pre rooted so you won't have to do that again.

okay, thanks!

i'll stick with ics, too, then. it's too stable to mess up with something beta or unstable, although i don't use netflix (non us ip) and bbc (non uk ip), i don't want to risk it. :)

I stay with ICS too. I read too many people having problems of any kind with all the modded JB and the beta.

It would be appreciated a HOW TO get back to official 4.0.4 :)

I stay with ICS too. I read too many people having problems of any kind with all the modded JB and the beta.

It would be appreciated a HOW TO get back to official 4.0.4 :)

If you are familiar with SP FLASH TOOL, just install an official ROM by ejiayu (howto: first post by putbinoot). Should work perfectly.