[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Frankish

Really would like to get my hands on a Xiaomi Red Rice WCDMA when it's available or even a Mi3 if the price is right. Still not available yet. :(

Or maybe I just need to switch to a supported MTK6589T phone I think the Umi X2 is supported...

Guest Maringer

I will when I start using it as my daily phone but right now I'm still on the G300 and just messing with the W910 in the evening, flashing ROMs, tweaking etc. Hopefully by the weekend I will have switched over.

Here's a summary of what I've been doing in terms of ROMs. 

Elbuit's repack of "gASK's" stock JB 4.1.2 (actually an Acer V350 ROM or derivative) seems pretty clean and stable as far as I have used it. The other two JB 4.1.2 ROMs on the Spanish forum seem to have quite a bit of Chinese language appearing that I cannot get rid of (e.g. in Apex Launcher, Button Savior (for the non on screen button version) etc.). As mentioned in that thread I'd like to reduce the size of the on screen buttons as they seem too big and wasting screen space to me. But I'm not sure that I could operate without them altogether and just with Button Savior instead. 

There is not much choice out there right now in terms of ROMs. So far the one mentioned above suits me best.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably wait a week or so to decide whether it is worth attempting to buy a W910 again following the disappointment last time. I don't really need a phone and should be trying to save money, but it is still really tempting...

As for battery life, to be fair, I rarely need a particularly long battery life as I'm a relatively light user and rarely far away from a charger but I just hate it when my phone is near to running flat!

Some interesting information provided by gASK in the xda thread so I'll keep an eye on that topic as well.

What happened the last time? Unsuccessful order or something? I got mine from DealsPrime as mentioned earlier. I am happy enough with them and I had a few after sales questions which they have answered very promptly. It cost about €90 all in from them in the end.

gASK is very helpful in that thread alright. But the bottom line is that right now the custom ROM scene is going to be a lot quieter for the W910 than it was for the G300 as far as I can see...

Guest invertedgoatie

Heads up about the THL W200.

My device has developed a screen defect (Not just stuck pixels)

There is a bright halo that is visible on white backgrounds. It's a light patch that is brighter than the rest of the screen.....very irritating I know. But I love the phone otherwise so I'm not 100% sure whether I should kick up a fuss about it or not on eBay. TBH, I could get ANOTHER phone with a defect, who knows.

Guest Maringer

What happened the last time? Unsuccessful order or something? I got mine from DealsPrime as mentioned earlier. I am happy enough with them and I had a few after sales questions which they have answered very promptly. It cost about €90 all in from them in the end.

gASK is very helpful in that thread alright. But the bottom line is that right now the custom ROM scene is going to be a lot quieter for the W910 than it was for the G300 as far as I can see...

Dealsprime told me HK Post weren't accepting deliveries to the UK for some reason or another, so wanted to charge another tenner for postage and send by DHL. I decided to cancel instead as I'd no doubt be charged import duty if it was sent by DHL which would have cost me even more.

Currently selling on Focalprice for US $ 123 including free postage which works out at less than 80 quid. I'll perhaps take a punt and see if they can ship stuff to me via their free postage service, unlike Dealsprime.

Oh yeah - I remember now... Strange that my DealsPrime order came to Ireland by Singapore Post - presumably shipping out of Singapore - and not by HK Post from HK...

I presume that it's $123 on FocalPrice with some discount code? I'm seeing it for $133.

Guest Maringer

Oh yeah - I remember now... Strange that my DealsPrime order came to Ireland by Singapore Post - presumably shipping out of Singapore - and not by HK Post from HK...

I presume that it's $123 on FocalPrice with some discount code? I'm seeing it for $133.

Heh. It was $123 last night (and earlier this morning) when I looked!

Looks as though I'll need to keep an eye on the price to see if they drop it down again or not. The prices on these Chinese phone sites do seem to go up and down like a whore's drawers...

Guest ace j. ventura

Heh. It was $123 last night (and earlier this morning) when I looked!

Looks as though I'll need to keep an eye on the price to see if they drop it down again or not. The prices on these Chinese phone sites do seem to go up and down like a whore's drawers...

Localprice is now $132.

Edited by ace j. ventura

Guest jamie_w

Really would like to get my hands on a Xiaomi Red Rice WCDMA when it's available or even a Mi3 if the price is right. Still not available yet. :(

Or maybe I just need to switch to a supported MTK6589T phone I think the Umi X2 is supported...

+1 I'm waiting for the red rice to come out as well.

Guest Frankish

Heads up about the THL W200.

My device has developed a screen defect (Not just stuck pixels)

There is a bright halo that is visible on white backgrounds. It's a light patch that is brighter than the rest of the screen.....very irritating I know. But I love the phone otherwise so I'm not 100% sure whether I should kick up a fuss about it or not on eBay. TBH, I could get ANOTHER phone with a defect, who knows.

Do you have the new or old touchscreen? How long have you had it for this defect to show up?

If unsure on touchscreen type download a multi touch test app if its 5 points only its old one, if it supports 10 touches it's the new one. Just want to know if i should worry :P

Guest invertedgoatie

Do you have the new or old touchscreen? How long have you had it for this defect to show up?

If unsure on touchscreen type download a multi touch test app if its 5 points only its old one, if it supports 10 touches it's the new one. Just want to know if i should worry :P

Yeah I guess it's the old one. I'm not sure if I'm fussed enough to send it back, it's just irritating....first showed up about 3 weeks into use. Then again it's a freaking cheap phone and I suppose and the first corners cut are in QC...buy another one and I could have another problem (DOA, etc etc)...

Look at the Jiayu G3 series reports, screens completely failing after a month or few.

Edited by invertedgoatie

Guest Costy88031

Guys I need some help. I want to install twrp on my Lenovo A820 and I tried to flash Twrp.zip from CWM and doesn't work(installation aborted). I know that exist another metod which I used before when I installed CWM(to  rename the arhive from .zip to .img and install with mobileuncletools) but I dont know if that will work with TWRP

Edited by Costy88031

Guys I need some help. I want to install twrp on my Lenovo A820 and I tried to flash Twrp.zip from CWM and doesn't work(installation aborted). I know that exist another metod which I used before when I installed CWM(to  rename the arhive from .zip to .img and install with mobileuncletools) but I dont know if that will work with TWRP

First thing to check is that the twrp.zip is intact and was not a corrupted/truncated download. If there is an MD5 then check it. If not then at least try opening the zip file to see that the zip is intact.

A zip file flashable from CWM/TWRP usually cannot simply be renamed to *.img and used like an image file which is normally flashed from adb or fastboot. They are different file formats.

Edited by dalyer

Guest Costy88031

First thing to check is that the twrp.zip is intact and was not a corrupted/truncated download. If there is an MD5 then check it. If not then at least try opening the zip file to see that the zip is intact.

A zip file flashable from CWM/TWRP usually cannot simply be renamed to *.img and used like an image file which is normally flashed from adb or fastboot. They are different file formats.

I opening the archive and inside are a twrp.img. This is ok? Or this is made specially for mobileuncletools and I must extract the img and install with mobileuncletools?

OK - if the zip is OK and it is a zip for flashing from recovery the it should just work.

I don't know if you can extract the img file and use it with that tool as I'm not familiar with it.

The TWRP recovery that you have should have come with some instructions for installing it?

Yeah I guess it's the old one. I'm not sure if I'm fussed enough to send it back, it's just irritating....first showed up about 3 weeks into use. Then again it's a freaking cheap phone and I suppose and the first corners cut are in QC...buy another one and I could have another problem (DOA, etc etc)...

I seem to have the same problem with the THL W200 and it now appears to be 'dropping the SD card', either reporting it as not present or 'damaged'. Rebooting the phone usually brings it back, but it is a bit of a nuisance.

Guest invertedgoatie

Oh dear some poor quality issues by the sounds of it. I'm a little wary now.

Well, it's still a danm cheap for the price, and TBH this is the risk to be taken with these unknown brands. It's a gamble!!

I had issues with my A820 with damaged SD card when dismounting from the phone when connected to pc, i now disconnect from pc at taskbar and it is now ok.

Edited by sedj