[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Quad core over dual core any day. Your essentially getting double performance with quad over dual

Edit: sorry - I landed on an older page/post and bumped it by replying to it. However my comments below still stand... :D

This is not necessarily true.

Haier W910 with dual Krait Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8260A can match some MediaTek quad cores - e.g. MTG6589. See earlier in the thread for a discussion of this.

I know that AnTuTu is not the final word in performance but I get 16800 on the W910.

I'm using the W910 since Decmeber and find it pretty good.

I'm not encouraging others to buy one necessarily as there are probably better deals out there now or on the way but it may suit some people especially if it's going for less than the €90 that I paid for it last year.

A drawback is that there are not nearly as many ROMs as for the G300 or other devices and most are Acer S500 JB 4.1.2 based.

Also I'm not sure that you can say quad versus dual will double performance all things being equal. Not everything will exploit the additional cores.

Edited by dalyer

In december I've bought from a known international China seller Jiayu G5 Advanced phone. Full phone specs found here: http://www.jiayu-store.com/jiayu-g5-quad-core-mtk6589-4-5-inch-ogs-ips-screen-smart-phone-ram-2gb-dual-camera-32gb.html. All I can say about this phone is that I love it. Materials used are awesome, the whole construction of the phone itself is very good and daily use is above expectation. Camera sensor is one of the top at the moment but the low quality of flash makes it almost impossible to use in dark conditions. It has an unofficial MIUI port but all working for daily basis. I don't feel sorry for the 395$ payed including DHL shipment, custom tax and the extra 3000mAh battery. The screenshot posted is from phone used with his stock 2000mAh battery with 2 SIM active.

post-1000961-13895325548607_thumb.jpg

post-1000961-13895327056336_thumb.jpg

Edited by scarba

p.s i have discovered that the manufacturer is moztek but the model is still in Chinese. any suggestion for rooting cmv and roms ? thx

1st you need to find if there are any CWM and ROMs for it. Then, when you find them, I'm sure you will get the instructions to flash it. But in general, for MTK chipset SP Flash Tool is used to write phone partitions ;)

Guest whistler114

I still like my Vowney V5 and I'm absolutely sold on MIUI but the lack of good GPS and decent camera is getting annoying so it's time for a change.

So what's the latest "best value" phone at the moment? (must have MIUI rom, GPS and very good camera!).  I was thinking about the Xiaomi Red Rice and while I like the 5" screen of the V5, I could put up with a 4.7.

Is the Red Rice (Hongmi) still as hot as it was when it was announced in the summer?  Anything else I should consider?  Thanks!

I still like my Vowney V5 and I'm absolutely sold on MIUI but the lack of good GPS and decent camera is getting annoying so it's time for a change.

So what's the latest "best value" phone at the moment? (must have MIUI rom, GPS and very good camera!). I was thinking about the Xiaomi Red Rice and while I like the 5" screen of the V5, I could put up with a 4.7.

Is the Red Rice (Hongmi) still as hot as it was when it was announced in the summer? Anything else I should consider? Thanks!

Consider having a look over Xiaomi Mi2S too. Hongmi isn't a bad phone but for those $ you can find a better phone tbh.

Guest Ironandroid

1st you need to find if there are any CWM and ROMs for it. Then, when you find them, I'm sure you will get the instructions to flash it. But in general, for MTK chipset SP Flash Tool is used to write phone partitions ;)

Thx for the answer but i am still lost. I have rooted created a recovery and a back up copy of the rom but i cannot find the web page of the manufacturer or not knowing how to write the chinese name on google find alternative rom. Help from anybody is greatly appreciated

Guest Maringer

Checking around, it is quite difficult to find much information about the camera quality on these cheaper chinaphones as it seems to be of little importance to most reviewers.

One or two phones are advertised as having fast f2.0 aperture lenses which ought to improve low light performance in comparison to most cheaper phones, but Starman28 notes earlier in this thread that he is slightly disappointed by image quality on his iNew V3 which reportedly has a f2.0 lens and a Sony Exmor sensor.

I note that the Huawei Honor 3C is also reported to have a f2.0 lens and a Sony sensor so it would be nice if one of the chinaphone news sites would review image quality of a number of these devices so we could have some kind of an idea which can provide the better image quality!

The Lenovo Vibe Z reportedly has an even faster f1.8 lens but the size and price of this phone is an issue.

p.s i have discovered that the manufacturer is moztek but the  model is still in Chinese. any suggestion for rooting cmv and roms ? thx

I presume that you searched?

I searched for "padfone moztek custom rom" and got a bunch of links that look like they might be of interest. E.g.:

http://padfoneclub.com/pl/forum/forum.php

Maybe add MTK6589 into the search and it will return even more specific results?

Apologies if you did this already and found nothing useful.

Edit: oops - looks like at least some of the links that I found are about the ASUS Padfone and not this Chinese Padphone?!?! Sorry...

Edited by dalyer

Guest apple2005

Can anybody help me to find a good phone with the following criteria :

1) size 5.7 to 6 inches.

2) gorilla glass.

3) double sims.

4) good community support.

I know Zopo 990 but I think, maybe there are other better choices as well. I shall be much thankful as I am really confused.

Guest whistler114

Consider having a look over Xiaomi Mi2S too. Hongmi isn't a bad phone but for those $ you can find a better phone tbh.

Mi2S has a 4.2" screen....

Hongmi is $181 including delivery.  What other phones are better for that price? (4.7-5" screen, good community support, MIUI etc)

Guest whistler114

Well I wouldn't exactly call $181 to $500 "stretching the budget".

I offer the following analogy:

"Hello, I'm thinking of buying a Honda Civic.  Are there any other cars you could recommend similar to this?"

"Yes get a Ferrari"

"....."

Guest Ironandroid

I presume that you searched?

I searched for "padfone moztek custom rom" and got a bunch of links that look like they might be of interest. E.g.:

http://padfoneclub.com/pl/forum/forum.php

Maybe add MTK6589 into the search and it will return even more specific results?

Apologies if you did this already and found nothing useful.

Edit: oops - looks like at least some of the links that I found are about the ASUS Padfone and not this Chinese Padphone?!?! Sorry...ou 

thank you very much for your help. unfortunately mine is padphone with the ph and this gives no results in google. the only thing i could find was a post from a dutch fellow on phone that he called n°1 model P7 that looked  exactly like mine . the problem is that i could not trace this phone on N°1 website and the one they produce now is a replica of the ipad mini with the typical single apple button while mine is a samsung like type with the central physical button and the two virtual lateral ones.

maybe @dakok with his great knowledge of chinese phones might recall something

Guest 陰莖:)

Well I wouldn't exactly call $181 to $500 "stretching the budget".

I offer the following analogy:

"Hello, I'm thinking of buying a Honda Civic.  Are there any other cars you could recommend similar to this?"

"Yes get a Ferrari"

"....."

Yuu buy Xiaomi Red Rice. God poney reasonable prize.

Mi2S has a 4.2" screen....

Hongmi is $181 including delivery. What other phones are better for that price? (4.7-5" screen, good community support, MIUI etc)

More and more people are starting to buy chineese phones for the reasonable prices. Considering this, I suspect that prices will start to get up pretty soon. So, if you really love MIUI I recommend you to buy any Xiaomi phone you can afford. Mi3 is an awesome phone and if you can wait like 2-3 more months and get more cash you will buy something even more nice with all these octacores coming :)

I doubt that prices would go up.
It is a fierce competition over there. Over 50 resonably good phone brands.

You will have something like this:

Dual Cores MTK6572 $90
Quad Cores MTK6582 $120
Quad Cores MTK6582 $130 (out of production)
Octa Cores MTK6592 $240 and up

Then, in the second half of 2014, Qualcomm will be in the game with low end devices
####################################################################################

For MIUI lovers - you don`t have to buy Xiaomi.
Many phones from the poll at the page top have a decent MIUI version with regular updating

Checking around, it is quite difficult to find much information about the camera quality...

I note that the Huawei Honor 3C is also reported to have a f2.0 lens and a Sony sensor so it would be nice if one of the chinaphone news sites would review image quality of a number of these devices so we could have some kind of an idea which can provide the better image quality!

The Lenovo Vibe Z reportedly has an even faster f1.8 lens but the size and price of this phone is an issue.

There is another new phone with f/1.8:
http://www.telekineza.com/vivo-xplay-3s-prvi-mobitel-s-2k-zaslonom/

Here are camera samples from Huawei 3x - definitely one of the best buys this year (I guess :))

115957h0s16k033gzkkg2l.jpg

120059jwinzkhne0hnt2tk.jpg

120034bdrpdjiuim8wrude.jpg

120018mzx34ude9wo3xdxe.jpg

Guest Maringer

Unfortunately, the Xplay is a bit too expensive for me. Don't want to spend as much money on a phone as that at the moment, not to mention the fact that the phone is gigantic!

The pics from the 3X look good but, as so often, the camera pictures in phone reviews are taken in the best possible lighting conditions - bright, but not direct lighting. No low-light or night shots which is where the issues really lie with cameraphones - not to mention normal point and shoot cameras! As with so many of the new highish-spec phones coming out of china, this is just too big for me. 5 inch screen is an absolute maximum for me.

As for the cheaper phones such as the 3C and Hongmi, I'm not expecting miracles from lower-light shots with image quality as good as you would get from a phone with optical image stabilisation (HTC One, LG G2, Nexus 5 and Lumia 1020), but it would be nice to see samples (with and without flash) to compare the budget devices and see which copes best!

One of the biggest Apple`s headaches is China sales - influenced heavily by chinese 

phone trend - A BIG PHONE.

There is no new top class phone model under 5" in China

I wonder how do they manage to use an average chinese 5-6" phone with their hands which are averagely smaller then ours???

:)

Guest apple2005

One of the biggest Apple`s headaches is China sales - influenced heavily by chinese

phone trend - A BIG PHONE.

There is no new top class phone model under 5" in China

I wonder how do they manage to use an average chinese 5-6" phone with their hands which are averagely smaller then ours???

:)

My hands are big. Which one big phone you will suggest to me having the above criteria, I posted few posts above.

Guest Maringer

My hands are big. Which one big phone you will suggest to me having the above criteria, I posted few posts above.

A lot depends on your budget, I expect, and when you need the phone.

The Huawei Honor 3X has a 5.5 inch screen and octa-core and looks likely to be a pretty decent device, providing it lives up to expectations. Not sure if this has Gorilla glass or not but all phones use some sort of toughened glass, regardless of manufacturer (Dragontail is another brand) so it's not something I worry about too much.

The Hongmi 2 is reportedly due to be released soon and supposedly will also have 5.5 inch screen with octa-core.

Otherwise, here's Gizchina's run-down of the new octa-core phones due for release soon:

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/01/14/top-low-cost-cotacore-phones-china/

Guest apple2005

A lot depends on your budget, I expect, and when you need the phone.

The Huawei Honor 3X has a 5.5 inch screen and octa-core and looks likely to be a pretty decent device, providing it lives up to expectations. Not sure if this has Gorilla glass or not but all phones use some sort of toughened glass, regardless of manufacturer (Dragontail is another brand) so it's not something I worry about too much.

The Hongmi 2 is reportedly due to be released soon and supposedly will also have 5.5 inch screen with octa-core.

Otherwise, here's Gizchina's run-down of the new octa-core phones due for release soon:

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/01/14/top-low-cost-cotacore-phones-china/

Thank you very much Maringer for your help. Actually my priority will be between 5.7 and 6 inches preferably 6 inches. The Huawei you mentioned is only 720p which I think is less for 5.5" screen.

I'm trying to find a 5.5 inch phone that has the official MIUI\Le Frog rom but they all seam to be 5 inch   :(

If the Red Rice 2 is 5.5 inch I will be getting that.

Edited by deuse