[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest daz1107

Well I wouldn't exactly call $181 to $500 "stretching the budget".

I offer the following analogy:

"Hello, I'm thinking of buying a Honda Civic.  Are there any other cars you could recommend similar to this?"

"Yes get a Ferrari"

"....."

If you can upgrade from a civic to a Ferrari for $319 then I say go for it. Not really a good analogy.

Mi3 seems to be around the $420 range looking on aliexpress and it will reduce as further stocks are released

Unfortunately, the Xplay is a bit too expensive for me. Don't want to spend as much money on a phone as that at the moment, not to mention the fact that the phone is gigantic!

The pics from the 3X look good but, as so often, the camera pictures in phone reviews are taken in the best possible lighting conditions - bright, but not direct lighting. No low-light or night shots which is where the issues really lie with cameraphones - not to mention normal point and shoot cameras! As with so many of the new highish-spec phones coming out of china, this is just too big for me. 5 inch screen is an absolute maximum for me.

As for the cheaper phones such as the 3C and Hongmi, I'm not expecting miracles from lower-light shots with image quality as good as you would get from a phone with optical image stabilisation (HTC One, LG G2, Nexus 5 and Lumia 1020), but it would be nice to see samples (with and without flash) to compare the budget devices and see which copes best!

What you need/want isn't a good phone, but a good photo camera :) Don't forget that smartphones are intended to be more likely a phone before everything else.

Guest whistler114

If you can upgrade from a civic to a Ferrari for $319 then I say go for it. Not really a good analogy.

Mi3 seems to be around the $420 range looking on aliexpress and it will reduce as further stocks are released

Your maths is not correct.  It's a matter of scaling. 

To offer a counter example to your poorly thought out response (ie. using fixed sum instead of scaling):

"Hello, I am interested in buying a Walmart leather belt for $18.  Are there any other belts I should consider similar to this one?"

"Yes get a Hugo Boss belt, it's only $319 more"

"........."

Edited by whistler114

Guest Maringer

What you need/want isn't a good phone, but a good photo camera :) Don't forget that smartphones are intended to be more likely a phone before everything else.

Nope, I've got a DSLR already. Hardly ever use it or take it with me anywhere because it is so bulky!

We also have a slimmer point and shoot camera but again, I rarely carry this around with me because it fills another pocket (my fiancee usually keeps it in her handbag). On the other hand, I always carry my phone around with me so a decent-ish built in camera would be quite useful.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not expecting a Lumia 1020-style cameraphone, but it would be nice to have a phone with a reasonable enough camera - all the cameras on phones I've owned have been rubbish!

what's the price of the huawei 3x, is it available yet? might pick one up if the price is right 

never mind 5.5 inch is to big of a phone for me, 4.7 max i would use (one of the reasons why i sold the nexus 5)

Might get the Huawei Honor 3x, but how reliable are deals prime , works out to £133 with them, when I go to merimobiles who I have used before then the price is £249........

I got my Haier W910 from them and it went OK overall.

Read/search back through the thread for some posts about peoples experience with them.

Use PayPal to protect yourself in case if any problems.

Might get the Huawei Honor 3x, but how reliable are deals prime , works out to £133 with them, when I go to merimobiles who I have used before then the price is £249........

Thought there was a big difference in price looks like this might be why, from dealsprime site

Note: This is only a pre-order item. By purchasing this item, you agree to our pre-order term... see below

Price - Before items are released we receive a price from the manufacturer and our listing price is based on that. The manufacturer will sometimes raise the price on the units based on their availability and limited quantities. At times the price may fluctuate during the pre-order waiting period. This can cause our cost to go up and you may be asked to pay a price increases when the item is released.

Thought the price was to good to be true

Edited by bryfly

Thought there was a big difference in price looks like this might be why, from dealsprime site

Note: This is only a pre-order item. By purchasing this item, you agree to our pre-order term... see below

Price - Before items are released we receive a price from the manufacturer and our listing price is based on that. The manufacturer will sometimes raise the price on the units based on their availability and limited quantities. At times the price may fluctuate during the pre-order waiting period. This can cause our cost to go up and you may be asked to pay a price increases when the item is released.

Thought the price was to good to be true

Sorry - I glanced at the page earlier and it suggested that it was in stock. If I had realised that it was preorder only I would have noted that. Apologies!  :blush:

Sorry - I glanced at the page earlier and it suggested that it was in stock. If I had realised that it was preorder only I would have noted that. Apologies!  :blush:

No need dalyer been caught like that myself, looking around for a phone to replace my Vowney v5, fancy a 5.5" but at some of the latest phone prices approaching £200 in China, albeit for a higher spec, makes me wonder if the risk is worth it,, to risk around a  £100 not to bad, but £200 at risk is another

i was watching a video on YouTube at CES 2014 about a mediatek smart watch, and the guy said that the MTK6582 will be getting Kitkat,

so i would of thought some of the the later Octa core Soc phones will also get it... would wait a little before buying one as most i have seen so far don't have 4.4 yet

and might not get updated... knowing the Chinese manufactures they will release a "plus" version that cost more but runs kitkat  

this was the watch i think http://reviews.cnet.com/watches-and-wrist-devices/omate-truesmart/4505-3512_7-35833130.html for anyone interested, quite cool  :ph34r:

specs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omate_TrueSmart (first mobile device to use sapphire glass)

Where did you get this info about KK @ MTK6582 ???

watched the video again and it was actually MTK6572,

at CES 2014 the guy from Omate said that at there last meeting with mediatek they said kitkat will be launching for MTK6572 around april. 

so i would expect the same for their other new Soc.

from 1.10 

Guest Maringer

High spec and an accordingly high price!

I struggle to think what use a 2K display on a phone (well, phablet) would add to the user experience. FullHD displays are pixel-dense enough for current software on devices this size and I would have thought that 178% of the pixels of FullHD will surely slow the user experience down, even on the most powerful current chipsets? If you attempt to make use of the additional resolution by fitting more on the screen, I'd imagine the touch interface would make it very difficult to accurately select small icons/buttons etc! For me, such a high-resolution screen on a small device seems to be technology for technology's sake and battery life will likely be adversely affected as well.

On the plus side, you'd no doubt have bragging rights over everyone else for a while - you could laugh at their puny FullHD screens!

Guest apple2005
High spec and an accordingly high price! I struggle to think what use a 2K display on a phone (well, phablet) would add to the user experience. FullHD displays are pixel-dense enough for current software on devices this size and I would have thought that 178% of the pixels of FullHD will surely slow the user experience down, even on the most powerful current chipsets? If you attempt to make use of the additional resolution by fitting more on the screen, I'd imagine the touch interface would make it very difficult to accurately select small icons/buttons etc! For me, such a high-resolution screen on a small device seems to be technology for technology's sake and battery life will likely be adversely affected as well. On the plus side, you'd no doubt have bragging rights over everyone else for a while - you could laugh at their puny FullHD screens!
I agree with you but what is the ideal resolution for 5 inch, 5.5 inches and 6 inches displays? I own a 5.7 inches phone with a resolution of 1280x720 but I think that the display is not crisp enough. But on the other hand I think that full hd display of 1920x1080 is enough for more than 5.5 inch screen. This I am talking on my personal experience. Edited by apple2005

I always thought the human eye can not see any difference beyond 300 PPI

so 2k display on a small device would be a waste... but after reading all this I'm not sure what to think http://mostly-tech.com/2013/11/08/debunking-the-retina-display-myth/

one thing i am sure about though... i did not see any difference in the 440 PPI on the nexus 5 to the nexus 4 with 320 PPI

There is no much difference between 5" screen @ 540*960 vs 5" @ 720*1280 either.

Although 220ppi vs 294ppi seems to be a big difference, most people didn`t see the

difference on my v987 and v967s screens (ZTE).

Guest apple2005

I always thought the human eye can not see any difference beyond 300 PPI

so 2k display on a small device would be a waste... but after reading all this I'm not sure what to think http://mostly-tech.com/2013/11/08/debunking-the-retina-display-myth/

one thing i am sure about though... i did not see any difference in the 440 PPI on the nexus 5 to the nexus 4 with 320 PPI

You are not seeing difference, because nexus 4 screen is smaller than nexus 5. The smaller the screen, the more crispy will be the screen, provided the resolution is not decreased much.

My galaxy s2 screen is much better than my zopo 950 plus screen which is 1280x720.

Guest ChrisPNE

You are not seeing difference, because nexus 4 screen is smaller than nexus 5. The smaller the screen, the more crispy will be the screen, provided the resolution is not decreased much.

My galaxy s2 screen is much better than my zopo 950 plus screen which is 1280x720.

It is the PPI that determines how sharp the screen looks.

He is comparing PPI. The PPI is calculated from screen size and resolution.

Mmmmm - crispy screen....  :D  ;)