[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest h3dshot

Hey guys sorry about the random question, i've read back a few pages, but i noticed on a review that the Coolpad F1 only supports 3g in china? Something to do with the frequencies it uses, is that true? Will this phone not support 3G in the UK?

Guest Maringer

There is a different version of the F1 which is compatible with UK networks - the 8297w - where the 'W' stands for WCDMA used over here. It supports the 900MHz and 2100MHz 3G frequencies used in the UK.

It costs a little more than the standard non 'w' version which would only work with 2G in the UK, so make sure you order the correct one. The key word (well, acronym) to look out for is WCDMA and not TD-SCDMA.

Guest h3dshot

There is a different version of the F1 which is compatible with UK networks - the 8297w - where the 'W' stands for WCDMA used over here. It supports the 900MHz and 2100MHz 3G frequencies used in the UK.

It costs a little more than the standard non 'w' version which would only work with 2G in the UK, so make sure you order the correct one. The key word (well, acronym) to look out for is WCDMA and not TD-SCDMA.

Oh thats brilliant! Thanks a bunch its much appreciated

Guest h3dshot

Most sites list the WCDMA and TD-SCDMA versions of the Coolpad F1 separately.

Dealsprime list just one and have a checkbox for WCDMA or TD-SCDMA.

WCDMA costs $20 extra over the TS-SCDMA version.

http://dealsprime.com/coolpad-f1-8297-octa-core-phone-5-0-1280-720-1-7ghz-mtk6592-3g-gps-2gb-ram-13-0mp.html

I am seriously comtemplating getting one, can anyone in the UK comment on GPS strength (for the odd use of google maps/navigation) and whats the battery life like? My brother has a chinese phone and the batteries claim to be something they are not and his battery life is terrible. Is the battery removable?

Also could anyone recommend a website to buy screen protectors+a  protective case from?

Edited by h3dshot

Guest h3dshot

where did you guys buy your coolpad f1's from? I've been looking at the retailers on trustedreview and aliexpress, china grabber, and dealsprime all seem to be hit and miss, with a lot of complaints for customer service and after sales support

Guest Maringer

Mine is currently in transit. Ordered from Shenzhen Matrix on Aliexpress. I selected them as they have a 99.9% positive feedback rating! The contact I communicated with, 'Sam Lin', has good English as well so messaging was easy.

Can't report on the phone until I receive it which ought to be in a day or two, if DHL's tracking reports are anything to go by!

Guest dakok

Hi H3adshot!

I bought it from Eternal Team at Aliexpress, but there are more reliable stores like the one Maringer suggested or 

this one, here is user feedback (check both good and bad reports - bad ones are for bad phone brands, anyway :))

It should be home soon, so you will read few reports then :)

@Karen&Arlette :)

That phone is probably the one that Goophone makes and, as it is with clone phones, the similarity is amazing but the quality is not proportional to amaze factor.

My suggestion is to pick real China phone brands, like

Lenovo, Huawei, Coolpad, Xiaomi etc...

Star, HTM, Cubot, Landvo, Jiake... are there for sellers to make the bigger profit ;)

Few suggestions:

Coolpad F1 185 USD 

Huawei Honor 3C 180 USD (merimobiles)

Huawei G610s 141USD (to2c)

Lenovo A850i 138USD (aliexpress)
Chili Pepper 137USD (aliexpress)

Best stores are to2c.com and several aliexpress sellers with at least 98.5% ratings

Edited by dakok

Guest h3dshot

Ok i've decided to buy one. The only thing i want to know before i do is how well the gps functions in the UK.

Can anyone share their experiences?

Guest Ascend

Ok i've decided to buy one. The only thing i want to know before i do is how well the gps functions in the UK.

Only tested it once but it locked on very quickly.

Guest Ascend

where did you guys buy your coolpad f1's from? I've been looking at the retailers on trustedreview and aliexpress, china grabber, and dealsprime all seem to be hit and miss, with a lot of complaints for customer service and after sales support

Shenzhen Value in Action on Aliexpress. Good service and quick delivery .

Guest dakok

It doesn't matter where it is. If it works fine anywhere in Europe (and probably China, too) it'll be nice in UK, as well.

I'd like to hear some experiences, too :)

Guest tillaz
Guest grabster

Tested the GPS a few times indoors and out.

Pretty much instant lock and accurate as well.

Bought mine fom Eternal Team at Aliexpress and it arrived after 13 days via DHL.

Bought it for the wife and she loves it.

Had to flash a custom rom (aosp)though as the phone suffered crashes when trying to use settings but now the phone is rock solid

Yes i would buy another for myself .

Guest Maringer

Well, my Coolpad F1 is in the country and appears to be out for delivery. Only problem is that it is set to be delivered to my home address and I'll be out at work today. Bugger. :(

Hopefully, DHL will leave it with my neighbours (who are trustworthy!), but I'm not holding my breath. Reckon I'll have to arrange redelivery next week so it's unlikely I'll be able to play around with it this weekend.

Guest bryfly

Shenzhen Value in Action on Aliexpress. Good service and quick delivery .

Not my best supplier so far, 4 days and still not shipped , my first one from chinatronic was shipped in 24hrs, and at my house in total 11 days from order, via Singapore post.....

Guest dakok

Hopefully, DHL will leave it with my neighbours (who are trustworthy!), but I'm not holding my breath. Reckon I'll have to arrange redelivery next week so it's unlikely I'll be able to play around with it this weekend.

Let's hope your neighbours don't follow this topic :D

Tillaz, Are there any chances for developer KitKat releases (for other MTK6592 phones) now? 

Edited by dakok

Guest h3dshot

Tested the GPS a few times indoors and out.

Pretty much instant lock and accurate as well.

Bought mine fom Eternal Team at Aliexpress and it arrived after 13 days via DHL.

Bought it for the wife and she loves it.

Had to flash a custom rom (aosp)though as the phone suffered crashes when trying to use settings but now the phone is rock solid

Yes i would buy another for myself .

Did you get hit with custom fees?

I think i'll buy mine from http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Coolpad-F1-Octa-Core-WCDMA-5-inch-Coolpad-F1-2G-RAM-13MP-Camera-1280-x/1824573104.html just because they have a high feedback and i'll get a screen protector+case with it. The only downside to this one is the long postage possibility.

Anyone in the UK had things delivered by singapore post before? how long did it take to arrive?

Guest grabster

Did you get hit with custom fees?

I think i'll buy mine from http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Coolpad-F1-Octa-Core-WCDMA-5-inch-Coolpad-F1-2G-RAM-13MP-Camera-1280-x/1824573104.html just because they have a high feedback and i'll get a screen protector+case with it. The only downside to this one is the long postage possibility.

Anyone in the UK had things delivered by singapore post before? how long did it take to arrive?

Sure did...£13   first time ever to be charged like this.

Didn't really mind though as it was a present for my wife and its one hell of a phone for the money.

Guest dakok

My experience with Singapore post was very good, but parcel preparation and holding  in local post office is waaay too long

Today is 2014-05-09 and it is still at post office :(

Destination Country - Croatia
2014-04-30 08:38, CROATIA, 10805 Zagreb CUV, Record item customs information, Retention reason : Invoice missing
2014-04-29 09:32, CROATIA, 10805 Zagreb CUV, Send item to customs
2014-04-29 09:32, CROATIA, 10805 Zagreb CUV, Receive item at location
2014-04-29 08:57, CROATIA, ZAGREB 10003, Send items to customs (Inb)
2014-04-28 19:54, CROATIA, ZAGREB 10003, Receive item at office of exchange
2014-04-24 16:33, Despatched to overseas (Country code: HR)
2014-04-22 16:38, Information Received (This is not an acknowledgment of the physical receipt of the stated Registered Article)
======================================

Order date: Apr. 09 2014  @ Aliexpress Eternal Team store 

Matrix is excellent aliexpress store. Contact them for stock details to be sure.
Skip dealsprime for now, a guy over here told me they prolonged his F1 despatch untill new Coolpad batch arrives :(