[KERNEL] Patched JB Kernel v2

Guest vache

WARNING : This is only for those who have flashed the JellyBean ROM with unlocked bootloader.

Acer have included a security to prevent users remounting /system partition with write access. Since we don't have

sources of this new kernel, this can't be undone atm.

So here is a patched kernel that, at least, allow root apps (for example) to get write access and get ready to remove bloatware.

This will not enable "adb remount".

(You can also flashed it manually : fastboot -i 0x0502 flash boot boot.img)

After flashing the kernel if you want to remount /system manually (you have to be root) :

With ADB :

adb shell

$ su

# mount -ro remount,rw /system

With a terminal emulator :

$ su

# mount -ro remount,rw /system

Changelog :

v2 (28/12/2012) :

-Support adb remount/adb push

-adbd running as root

Edited by vache

Guest Willem van Oort

it doesn't work for me:( i can flash the file in CWM but when i ask for SU permissions it says that it can't find /system/bin/sh

anyone else with the same problem or maybe a solution?

I am too much a newbie to understand this.

Does this help to root the device ? I booted the CWM, installed the patch, and my Phone still boots :-)

But now, how do i get the su binary to my Phone ?

And if i get the su binary to my Phone, does the su and mount syntax from above alow a program like superuser of SuperSU to allow rootaccess to other apps ?

tnx in advance !

I am too much a newbie to understand this.

Does this help to root the device ? I booted the CWM, installed the patch, and my Phone still boots :-)

But now, how do i get the su binary to my Phone ?

And if i get the su binary to my Phone, does the su and mount syntax from above alow a program like superuser of SuperSU to allow rootaccess to other apps ?

tnx in advance !

No one ? PLz ?

This will not root the device.

It will allow third party apps to have write access on /system partition with the help of su, so you have to be already rooted. Even with root permissions, apps will not be able to have write access cause Acer added a security. This patched kernel remove this security.

If you're currently not rooted, flash this package with CWM recovery : http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.2-RC3-arm-signed.zip

This will not root the device.

It will allow third party apps to have write access on /system partition with the help of su, so you have to be already rooted. Even with root permissions, apps will not be able to have write access cause Acer added a security. This patched kernel remove this security.

If you're currently not rooted, flash this package with CWM recovery : http://downloads.nos...-arm-signed.zip

Tnx a lot vache, LOL at your avatar being the first to show up booting my phone :D

For providing us with all these goodies and info, you can !

I installed SuperSu after installing superuser, but that was only possible with you help, tnx again ...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rjscosta

Since the kernel is licensed under GPL, can´t we demand they publish the source code?

Some years ago, linksys started to make wi-fi routers based on Linux (the first on the consumer market) and kept it a secret.

When users found out they used linux, they, along with the Free Software Foundation demanded they publish the source code, and that started the era of third party router firmwares like openwrt, dd-wrt, tomato, etc.

I'm hoping this device has USB OTG and its just disabled in the kernel.

I've rooted it, made an USB OTG cable, but can't mount an USB flash drive or anything.

Even adding an external 5V power only got the phone charging, but no USB host communication.

Edited by rjscosta

• 3 months later...
Guest wimmme

anyone having a copy of this boot.img ? vaches ftp is almost empty :-( I would like to have /system write access so I could remove facebook.apk. to install a patched one afterwards so I can try facebook home :-)

anyone having a copy of this boot.img ? vaches ftp is almost empty :-( I would like to have /system write access so I could remove facebook.apk. to install a patched one afterwards so I can try facebook home :-)

I uploaded the file which I suspect it is here. I hope it is the right one, because my folder is a bit unorganized.

Edited by BrtH

Guest wimmme

Tnx, that did the trick ! Was able to remove the Facebook system app this way. Facebook home running nice on my CloudMobile now ... Although it seems to drain my battery :-(

Guest davidevinavil

Tnx, that did the trick ! Was able to remove the Facebook system app this way. Facebook home running nice on my CloudMobile now ... Although it seems to drain my battery :-(

If you have battery drain try to unmount sd card.. seems sd card with too file inside make drain.. this append to me..

Guest bobbes

Do you maybe know if this modded kernel can be used with ORGROD dual carrier device? Or will it brick the phone??

Thx

If your phone has an Unlocked Bootloader (included in the Jellybean leaked firmware) you can safely flash it. Otherwise it will not work.

Guest Ivan69

If your phone has an Unlocked Bootloader (included in the Jellybean leaked firmware) you can safely flash it. Otherwise it will not work.

ORGROD dual carrier phone (-1), so if I correctly understood, no way to unlock bootloader and/or flash leaked fw

Hope someone will tell me that I'm wrong and there's a way to do it... ;-)

thx

Edited by Ivan69

• 6 months later...
Guest cristibostan

I'm looking for a stable custom kernel... any recommendations? i already tried dmd (by davidevinavil), but it gives my a lot of random reboots...