[ROM][ICS] Stock+ ROM [B960 - R6 | Updated: 06-03]

Guest Cyda

Guest wouterbeer

All it is really going to do is consume more battery.

This might be of interest to you: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/overclock-android-device,review-1762-6.html

Especially this section:

In a real-world scenario, your phone would spend a large portion of its time in a low power state which would be largely benefited by the custom kernel’s undervolted settings. Additionally, the overclocked high power state would allow it to finish its workload faster and return to a low power state sooner. Theoretically, this would result in less power draw overall. Unfortunately, it’s very difficult to test in a short amount of time; however, while trying to keep daily use as equal as possible, we did see a small increase in battery life of about 12% with the overclocked and undervolted settings. Due to time constraints we weren’t able to test how much of this was strictly thanks to special kernel features versus the overclocking itself.

Guest dalyer

OK, just as an experiment. I'm an obsessive tweaker, and if anything new or modded ocmes out, I've got to try it... but I've trashed down my phone, done a completely clean install. No overclocking, no different kernel, no scripts or tweaks - and guess what - it runs just fine, as smooth and as fast as with anything else... so my conclusion is don't bother with overclocking or different kernels or scrips, as they make no noticeable difference. And forget benchmarks. They're irrelevent to daily usage. The phone runs pretty darned fast and smooth as is on this ROM, and I seriously think any percieved improvements by overclocking, changing governors, kernels etc is mainly a placebo effect. Especially overclocking. All it is really going to do is consume more battery. Performance increase is negligible in actual use.

So you're basically saying that Cyda is wrong? :D

STOCK+ ROM

Recommended on first boot

Once the ROM has booted for the first time I would recommend leaving it for a few minutes while it finishes it's initial setup. After this I'd recommend doing the following to improve the overall usage of the ROM:

App drawer > No-Frills CPU > Set Governor to SmartassV2, set I/O scheduler to noop and for nice performance boost set the Max clock frequency to 1.152Ghz.

NB: I have found most G300's to be pretty stable between 1Ghz and 1.19Ghz so you can comfortably use 1.19Ghz if you wish but if you want keep things conservative and still have a little performance improvement then setting the max frequency to 1.152ghz is a great compromise.

Edited by dalyer

Guest dalyer

This might be of interest to you: http://www.tomsguide...iew-1762-6.html

Especially this section:

Worth using CPU Spy to see how long is spent in each CPU state/speed. I found that my OC clock speed was never being used with one governor but was with another. Also the vat majority of time is spent in deep sleep or low clock speed states - if this is not the case then it's worth investigating why.

Guest wouterbeer

Worth using CPU Spy to see how long is spent in each CPU state/speed. I found that my OC clock speed was never being used with one governor but was with another. Also the vat majority of time is spent in deep sleep or low clock speed states - if this is not the case then it's worth investigating why.

Uh, not sure if I understand you correctly; this article is just suggesting that adding a little overclock might increase time in undervolted stage. So is mine. CPU Spy gives most time in deep sleep (even 85%), than it is most of the time in 1288 Mhz and 245 Mhz, which are my max and min settings.

Edit: so it is using the OC setting if that's your question. I'm using smartassv2 with noop.

Edited by wouterbeer

OK, just as an experiment. I'm an obsessive tweaker, and if anything new or modded ocmes out, I've got to try it... but I've trashed down my phone, done a completely clean install. No overclocking, no different kernel, no scripts or tweaks - and guess what - it runs just fine, as smooth and as fast as with anything else... so my conclusion is don't bother with overclocking or different kernels or scrips, as they make no noticeable difference. And forget benchmarks. They're irrelevent to daily usage. The phone runs pretty darned fast and smooth as is on this ROM, and I seriously think any percieved improvements by overclocking, changing governors, kernels etc is mainly a placebo effect. Especially overclocking. All it is really going to do is consume more battery. Performance increase is negligible in actual use.

If you just surf, text and use it as a phone then I doubt you will see that much difference but there certainly will be increased throughput for the system overall due the the SoC being clocked higher - whilst Antutu is kind of pointless if you check the ram and i/o scores between an overclocked and none overclocked G300 you can see this increase. If you use your phone for gaming then you will certainly see an improvement when the device is overclocked. Also, a higher clock doesn't always mean less battery life, if the increased clock speed allows a task to finish quicker and therefore the phone enter deep sleep quicker, then the battery life should be theoretically improved.

Edited by Cyda

Guest dalyer

Uh, not sure if I understand you correctly; this article is just suggesting that adding a little overclock might increase time in undervolted stage. So is mine. CPU Spy gives most time in deep sleep (even 85%), than it is most of the time in 1288 Mhz and 245 Mhz, which are my max and min settings.

Edit: so it is using the OC setting if that's your question. I'm using smartassv2 with noop.

Sorry - my point was confusing (not enough coffee yet today...) but I think that I am in agreeement with you - i.e. overclocking is not just useless/a placebo/a battery drain and, in fact, probably does help and may actually save rather than waste battery. And if it was of no use then why could Cyda as the ROM developer recomment it. So basically we both disagree with TT. :D

Edited by dalyer

Guest travalo

Thanks, great work, but camera are not responding most of the time. I have to clean cache in order for it to work

anyone had this problem before?

Edited by travalo

Guest TangerineTractor

Fair enough. I was really saying that I didn't notice any difference when overclocked or tweaked. I don;t game. I use email, Opera, Falcon Twitter, and that's about it. In that scenario, default settings seem fine. But now I'm gonna go back and overclock, coz you've justified why I should, and why it woul dimprove battery life rather than drain it.

Thanks, great work, but camera are not responding most of the time. I have to clean cache in order for it to work

anyone had this problem before?

Have you flashed the camera fix from the addon section?

Guest TangerineTractor

@Cyda

Based on what you've said about overclocking, is it therefore better to flash Ouch kernel, which has a far lower minimum frequency?

@Cyda

Based on what you've said about overclocking, is it therefore better to flash Ouch kernel, which has a far lower minimum frequency?

I don't think it matters much, some even suggest a slightly higher minimum clock is better but from the testing I have done I haven't seen much difference regardless of the minimum value.

Guest irishpancake

Hi lads, sorry if this has been asked before, but I just got to flash this on my missus phone last night, at 03:00 actually, when she was asleep!!!!

So, I had a phone with Stock GB, and had to wait for the OTA Update to ICS, and then another OTA??

And of course then re-rooting, unlocking bootloader, reflashing CWM, and the ROM!!!!

Everything is fine and dandy, I have not flashed the Link2Int mod yet, but all seems OK with 16G SD card, it is staying put as default storage. [i formatted it with SD Formatter first].

Just one question, as I indicated above, the Wi-Fi seems to stay on, as in it will not automatically disconnect when screen off.

I have set "Never" in wi-fi settings for Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep??....is this the correct setting??

Also, can I ask is there a fix for the screen touch sensitivity, it seems to take a good high pressure jab to get it to work??

Thanks in advance, and sorry if these have been asked before, I will search as soon as I can, but maybe someone has a quick fix or answer??

Guest dalyer

Just one question, as I indicated above, the Wi-Fi seems to stay on, as in it will not automatically disconnect when screen off.

I have set "Never" in wi-fi settings for Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep??....is this the correct setting??

That is the correct setting as far as I know but I just checked and I have it set but according to the built-in battery stats/meter wifi is staying on at home while in sleep mode... :mellow:

Also, can I ask is there a fix for the screen touch sensitivity, it seems to take a good high pressure jab to get it to work??

I haven't noticed that with mine. I presume it's the actual touchscreen and not general UI responsiveness that you're referring to? But in case not does changing Developer options > Window/Transition animation scale to 0.5 (for example) speed things up at all for example?

Edited by dalyer

@ irishpancake: Have you flashed any other kernels? I've never had any issues with touch on this rom, in fact one of the main reasons I use #19 kernel is because the touch is so improved when using this kernel.

Guest JackRackham

Hey Cyda, I experienced a similar problem with touch screen on R6 and and the UI seemed little sluggish overall... I flashed it a couple of times to be sure that it wasn't some kind of reverse placebo effect, but it didn't help... Switched back to R5, everything runs smooth and perfect again... just my 2 cents! :)

--

JackRackham

Guest irishpancake
@ irishpancake: Have you flashed any other kernels? I've never had any issues with touch on this rom, in fact one of the main reasons I use #19 kernel is because the touch is so improved when using this kernel.

God no.... I couldn't get it outta her hand!!

Seriously I just flashed whatever is included in the package...came straight from GB after OTA Upgrade.

I didn't realise it included the kernel, but o/c and other stuff is working with No Frills!!!

I'll check out dalyers suggestion and see.

How's about the wi-fi sleep thing? That would be more important, as it worked on GB stock, and Mrs Pancake knows no different now :wub:

Edited by irishpancake

Guest irishpancake

That is the correct setting as far as I know but I just checked and I have it set but according to the built-in battery stats/meter wifi is staying on at home while in sleep mode... :mellow:

I haven't noticed that with mine. I presume it's the actual touchscreen and not general UI responsiveness that you're referring to? But in case not does changing Developer options > Window/Transition animation scale to 0.5 (for example) speed things up at all for example?

Hi there dalyer a chara!!

So your phone wifi does not sleep under the same settings? Can you remember it in GB, definitely did sleep for me.

As if the touch prob it is a screen/digitizer thing, not the UI....

sometimes I have to tap an app icon twice or 3 times for it to launch.

[it could be me though, as I am on chemo therapy and it causes loss of sensitivity due to loss of nerve endings]

I will try your suggestion.... but is it for UI speed?

Guest fr0do
OK, just as an experiment. I'm an obsessive tweaker, and if anything new or modded ocmes out, I've got to try it... but I've trashed down my phone, done a completely clean install. No overclocking, no different kernel

But this rom includes a souped up kernel! lol :)

The kernel is what saves this phone.

Edited by fr0do

Guest spicysomtam

Hey Cyda, I experienced a similar problem with touch screen on R6 and and the UI seemed little sluggish overall... I flashed it a couple of times to be sure that it wasn't some kind of reverse placebo effect, but it didn't help... Switched back to R5, everything runs smooth and perfect again... just my 2 cents! :)

--

JackRackham

I experienced the same thing. I am also back on R5 and happy. I tried the R5 to R6 upgrade a couple of times to be sure, making sure cache and dalvik caches were cleared. R5 rocks for me !

Guest dalyer

Hi there dalyer a chara!!

Small world... :)

So your phone wifi does not sleep under the same settings? Can you remember it in GB, definitely did sleep for me.

Wifi seems to be operating all the time even with Wifi in sleep mode = Never. I am also running Y5 Battery Saver so perhaps that could be a factor. I must disable it and see what happens.

[it could be me though, as I am on chemo therapy and it causes loss of sensitivity due to loss of nerve endings]

Hope it's going OK. My gf will be going through it soon too... :mellow:

Guest irishpancake

Small world... :)

Wifi seems to be operating all the time even with Wifi in sleep mode = Never. I am also running Y5 Battery Saver so perhaps that could be a factor. I must disable it and see what happens.

Hope it's going OK. My gf will be going through it soon too... :mellow:

Jesus...I am sorry to hear that man....best wishes to gf and you.... :wub: .......... she will need all the support you can give her. That, and a positive attitude, will give her an edge [This is my second time round, 3 years ago, and now it's back...but I'm still standing, so good news for all survivors....do not lose hope]

--

JackRackham

Which launcher are you using? The new script has a feature to detect the launcher but it might be possible it is not picking up certain launchers.

How's about the wi-fi sleep thing?

I always switch my wifi off when not using it so can't say I have noticed it. I'm really not sure what the problem could be off the top of my head, I'd need to look in to it a bit.

Just to say I'm running this on gb baseband. Will report if I get any reboots. All seems OK so far.

Nice. Let us know how it goes.

Guest dalyer

FWIW...I disabled Y5 Battery Saver and overnight I see that my wifi is constantly on during sleep even with Wifi on during sleep = Never.

Don't know if that's a kernel thing or something? I never checked this issue when running other ROMs.