ITV Player update now available (as long as you use a Samsung)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

ITV have released a much-needed update to their ITV player application. Hurrah! It's only available to select Samsung devices until the end of August! Boo.

The updated app, which is still based on Adobe AIR, allows you to watch all ITV programmes where mobile rights are available, for up to thirty days after broadcast.

Features include...

• Works on both phone and tablet devices
  • Catch up on programmes from ITV, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and CITV
  • Watch over 3G/4G or Wifi
  • Free to download with unlimited usage
  • Browse recommended programmes
  • Search for programmes by channel or alphabetically

To use the application you need a supported Samsung device (Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (original), Galaxy Note2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Ace2, Galaxy Tab (P1000)) running Gingerbread or newer (which you will be if your device is on that list).

There are a couple of outstanding issues noted on the Play Store listing, which can be resolved by 're-starting the application', specifically 'an issue whereby audio can continue to play when closing the video player' and 'an issue whereby video can obscure the device controls.

I gave the app a go on my Note 2 and it works great actually - it looks nice and video quality seems pretty good... the only downer is the rather long adverts, but there's no surprise there.

Obviously I grabbed the APK and sideloaded it to my HTC One... and it works fine too. Unsupported, but no obvious issues in my brief testing.

Head on over to the Play Store.

Have a go and let us know how you get on! :)

itvplayerss.png

Click here to view the item

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

Whats the big deal about this App...?? Hasnt it been on the PlayStore for some time now...?? Or has it changed who its market it is... ie: only Samsung. As I swear I downloaded this on my HP Touchpad like over a year ago or summit... and it was fine then! Ive installed it on many devices (that are not Samsung) such as Kindles in the past. I refused to updated it a while back when they changed the logos to the new version as per TV Channels as think they suck...

The App worked reasonbally well back then on my Touchpad (and other Tablets) However it crashes on my phone (ZTE Blade) and on my Android TV Stick the navigation is useless... :(

So yeah, whats the main focus here of the update?? Has ITV killed off all other devices and focuses on Samsung, and why only till the end of August...? And shocked what bad review its got on the PlayStore too, didnt think it was that bad.... lol

Cheers, Lister

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.