How to enable multi-user support on your Nexus 4 (+ other 4.2 devices?)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Multi-user support in Android 4.2 is really cool, but it's only available on tablets. Courtesy of the MoDaCo Toolkit however, you can also enable it on your Nexus 4 (and quite possibly other 4.2 based phones).

The pre-requisites are straightforward - your phone needs to be rooted, you need to install the Xposed Framework and you need to install and enable the MoDaCo Toolkit Xposed module.

Once you've done that, load up the MoDaCo Toolkit and click the 'Google Nexus (all)' section. Click 'Show users on power menu', reboot your device and you're done. Easy eh? :)

Now that multi user support is enabled, you need to know how to add and switch users. You can add users via the 'Users' menu that now appears in 'Settings'.

n4-usersadd1.pngn4-usersadd2.png

You can switch users by pressing and holding the power button and selecting the name of the user you want to switch to. Simple! :)

n4-userswitchmenu.png

Now, I know this works on the Nexus 4, but if you try it on another 4.2 device, please do let me know how you get on! :)

Click here to view the item

Guest Chahk

Setting up new users works fine on Galaxy Nexus running latest CM10.1 nightly, but the Reboot dialogue doesn't allow for switching.

[Edit]

Woops, nevermind. Had user switching disabled on the Power menu. All is working correctly now!

Guest StuMcBill

I still can't get the MoDaCo toolkit to work on my Nexus 4 (running ParanoidAndroid), installed the Xposed Framework, MoDaCo toolkit, but when I change settings on it, it doesn't actually do anything on my device?

Any ideas / ways I can troubleshoot?

Guest Harsha Raj

Tried it in Galaxy S2 running CM10.1. I was able to see the users under setting and could create new user just fine. But I couldn't see the users under power menu even when I had enabled the option under "Google Nexus (all)"

Thankfully the OS loaded with main user when I simply rebooted the phone, else I would have stuck in the void with test user.

Also any idea if this mod will be featured by a official thread on XDA?

• 5 months later...
Guest Plant a Butterfly

I still can't get the MoDaCo toolkit to work on my Nexus 4 (running ParanoidAndroid), installed the Xposed Framework, MoDaCo toolkit, but when I change settings on it, it doesn't actually do anything on my device?

Any ideas / ways I can troubleshoot?

I just figured out. Search 'multi-user' here and you will get the answer:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2427494

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.